Charles Howell III testing newest "Gen2" PXG irons: 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should apply to any Gen 1 buyers. Condition being that the person is the original owner who bought from a PXG account.

You’re not serious, are you? You really have to be kidding.

You want PXG to send anyone that has purchased irons in the past direct a set of theirs new clubs for 50% off retail (38% off wholesale)!

PXG gets KUDOS for being transparent to any new buyers that want their sticks ...now...

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I think it should apply to any Gen 1 buyers. Condition being that the person is the original owner who bought from a PXG account.

You're not serious, are you? You really have to be kidding.

You want PXG to send anyone that has purchased irons in the past direct a set of theirs new clubs for 50% off retail (38% off wholesale)!

PXG gets KUDOS for being transparent to any new buyers that want their sticks ...now...

I don't see what's so farfetched about what I said. They are calling it a loyalty and upgrade program. I've had my set for over a year, and I paid full price for them. Suppose I'm interested in getting the Gen2 irons. I think I'm a more loyal customer than someone who has never bought a set and is just going to dump the extra set on ebay for a discounted rate.

I agree with you on the transparency with the new buyers. I give them kudos for that too.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

So obviously they have a big stock of the 0311 Gen 1 irons sitting in a warehouse and they need to move them along. They are not like regular OEMs who can just discount them and sell them off to a few big boxes, thats not their model so instead they are trying to clear the decks with the incentive to their end users. Makes sense to me except for the glut of Gen 1 irons new in the box showing up on ebay which cant be good for the brand but I get it. That said I can't imagine Ferrari (Who Bob compares to his brand) dumping last years discontinued model to be sold to the public if they upgrade just to let them fire sale them on ebay. Takes a little bit of the prestige off the brand but that said Ferrari has a dealer network they can discount too behind the scenes, so same thing I guess.

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]
[b][color=#ff8c00][i]Southern California & New England [/i][/color][/b]

[b]Taylor Made M3 9.5* w. Graphite Design Tour AD IZ6 Stiff
Tayloe Made M4 Fairway 15* w. HZDRUS Black 6.0 Stiff
Taylor Made M3 Hybrid 17* (set to 19*) w. Tensi Blue 85HY Stiff
Taylor Made M3 4-AW w. DG XP100
Taylor Made High Toe 58* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made High Toe 64* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made Spider Red Sightline 35"
Taylor Made Bag

Taylor Made TP5x & Kirkland KSIG Balls
[/b]

You're not serious, are you? You really have to be kidding.

I don't see what's so farfetched about what I said. They are calling it a loyalty and upgrade program. I've had my set for over a year, and I paid full price for them. Suppose I'm interested in getting the Gen2 irons. I think I'm a more loyal customer than someone who has never bought a set and is just going to dump the extra set on ebay for a discounted rate.

I agree with you on the transparency with the new buyers. I give them kudos for that too.

So by now, you've called PXG to confirm? What'd they say?

Loyalty program applies to ANY previous, loyal buyer?

Or just those buying after a certain date?

I posted the official flyer above from PXG. Clearly states its only for purchases from Feb 15- March 14, 2018. You got till tomorrow.

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]

Taylor Made Bag

[/b]

Horrible comparison as has been noted around 100 times. Maybe try a smart car vs a smart car with over the top advertising and no performance difference or pedigree so we can keep it apples to apples. The cars you mentioned at least have some justification for higher prices aside from some manufactured exclusivity.

This is not a terrible comparison. Granted, the performance differences are greater between cars, but you cannot argue that there is somehow greater justification for buying a ferrari vs a set of pxg golf clubs. The price is vastly greater for a better car and the experience is arguably only marginally better from a practical standpoint; great I have 900 horsepower now let me go sit in traffic beside an 89 cutlass while I go 55 mph in a 50mph zone.

In both cases the main driver of cost for a more expensive item is using different materials, marketing and service; the exact same reasons why people by either PXG or a car that costs $300,000 vs a cheaper alternative. The same argument goes for a Nike shirt vs a golf shirt from Uniqlo; if you have a closet full of Uniqlo shirts then kudos to you, but their golf shirts are $15 and Nike are $75-$100; I'd love to hear your ramblings on why that too is not "apples to apples".

The comparison makes total sense. You have guys on here that will buy 4 drivers a year, spend $1,000 on scotty putters that are just a chunk of metal on a shaft with a scotty logo on it, and then out of the other side of their mouth say PXG is a ripoff.

The difference between a pxg set and a normal good set of irons is about 1.75x in terms of cost. The difference between a honda civic and a lamborghini is, conservatively, 20 times the cost. When you look at the purpose of a car, much like a golf club, it was invented for a single purpose; to get you where you're going. A golf club in similar insofar as it is simply something you intend to hit a ball with. Sure a lamborghini is objectively better than a honda, but that is not why people are paying 25x the price for it and to suggest as such is simply being ignorant of engaging in sophistry. Also consider the effective cost of ownership and the fact that there are these things called "speed limits" on the roads whereby, even if performance is better, you are limited by law to not even use what you are paying for..The luxury element is what people are paying for, prestige or attention or whatever you want to call it; the technology in a $300,000 car is better than in a $30,000 car, but is it $270,000 better? The answer is YES, to those that can afford it.

Ferraris are a luxury item, just like most scotty cameron putters that are objectively more costly than another putter. I am not bashing anyone's tastes or saying anyone is stupid for purchasing anything they want to own, my issue is why would you hate PXG for doing things other brands do? There are other attributes, besides clubs, such as their service, that make them special.

I own several pxg clubs and they are work well for me; sure they cost more but for the first time in a long time, I have not bought new irons in two years. Also, if I want to call pxg or show up at their office, they do treat you well compared to other golf brands who could care less about me. I bought a putter directly from them last year and the service was incredible. Then when they released new headcovers 6 months later. they contacted me to send the new version at no cost, and they sent me some other small things as well.

I had peeling on my ping s55 and, while I love ping products, I could not get anyone to pay attention to me and actually get a resolution. I also think that people blow the prices out of proportion; I just bought a hybrid from PXGwith no upcharge handcrafted hzrdus black; that ran me about $500 (in Canadian dollars), the new Ping Hybrids are $339 up here plus 13% hst and with the handcrafted hzrdus, it would actually be more expensive for me to purchase from Ping.

Needless to say, I disagree with you...

Seriously no one has any info at this point about Gen 2 tech versus Gen 1?

Think you will hear something today I believe or tomm AM I was told you have till this afternoon to take advantage of deal. Ideally if anyone wants a set of Gen1 they should find someone to go in on deal with them. Ive heard 4 models now a more forgiving version of XF?

After reading this thread and getting fitted I was able to get the deal however, originally I was denied. The Regional PXG Representative (I live in Virginia) stated that this deal was only for the Phoenix area. After a few days of complaining and the issue escalating to the corporate office, I was given the deal.

I created a video to spread the word:

And then decided to show a copy of the invoice as proof:

I’m very appreciative of this thread, as I would have never known about the deal. And... I’ve already got a Buddy lined up to buy my Gen 1 set around June.

I was fitted through Hodson Golf in Richmond and can’t say enough good things about Andrew. He fought the fight with PXG.

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]

Taylor Made Bag

[/b]

Looks like I’ll be receiving my Gen 2 set earlier than I thought! I was thinking June.

Did you already order them?

Yes. Since I did the Loyalty Upgrade, both sets were ordered at the same time. Hit the Gen 1s for the first time today. Very pleased.

I didn’t realize they had a loyalty upgrade program? How does that work?

Looks like I’ll be receiving my Gen 2 set earlier than I thought! I was thinking June.

Yes. Since I did the Loyalty Upgrade, both sets were ordered at the same time. Hit the Gen 1s for the first time today. Very pleased.

Well first you need to fire up the time machine and head back to yesterday...

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]

Taylor Made Bag

[/b]

Check out this video:

Check out this video:

Cool stuff!

I like this generation's look better than the previous one. Photos don't really do them justice.

I dont know the badging seems larger and nit sure on the riubded topline. They say the P supposed to have less offset bit looks same as my Gen1 0311. For one step up from the Ts

0311/0311P are peetty large heads they are bigher than my MP53s which I thought were larger heads.

4 models coming. 0311t and 0311 will have less offset. I heard hotter face, 2mph more Ballspeed, lofts remain the same.

I do think its kinda funny they call the polymer insert cor2 now and it creates 2-3 more MPH? If that were case why aren't alll OEMs doing this? It will certianly be interesting to see if people are lining up to buy Gen2 at $400 a club.

4 models coming. 0311t and 0311 will have less offset. I heard hotter face, 2mph more Ballspeed, lofts remain the same.

I do think its kinda funny they call the polymer insert cor2 now and it creates 2-3 more MPH? If that were case why aren't alll OEMs doing this? It will certianly be interesting to see if people are lining up to buy Gen2 at $400 a club.

The 2mph faster Ballspeed seems to be legit. Everybody trying the new irons are finding the same results.

I'm more interested in turf interaction, that's the reason 0311 didn't work for me, and sold them after 10 rounds.