Charles Howell III testing newest "Gen2" PXG irons: 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend is playing them this week at the LPGA Founders Cup. You can definitely see the difference between gen1 and gen2. I know a lot of folks get down on PXG...lord knows why...buy they make a great club, as well as great looking one. She has both the irons and wedges.

ps: in another lifetime I was an 0311 lol.

Horrible comparison as has been noted around 100 times. Maybe try a smart car vs a smart car with over the top advertising and no performance difference or pedigree so we can keep it apples to apples. The cars you mentioned at least have some justification for higher prices aside from some manufactured exclusivity.

This is not a terrible comparison. Granted, the performance differences are greater between cars, but you cannot argue that there is somehow greater justification for buying a ferrari vs a set of pxg golf clubs. The price is vastly greater for a better car and the experience is arguably only marginally better from a practical standpoint; great I have 900 horsepower now let me go sit in traffic beside an 89 cutlass while I go 55 mph in a 50mph zone.

In both cases the main driver of cost for a more expensive item is using different materials, marketing and service; the exact same reasons why people by either PXG or a car that costs $300,000 vs a cheaper alternative. The same argument goes for a Nike shirt vs a golf shirt from Uniqlo; if you have a closet full of Uniqlo shirts then kudos to you, but their golf shirts are $15 and Nike are $75-$100; I'd love to hear your ramblings on why that too is not "apples to apples".

The comparison makes total sense. You have guys on here that will buy 4 drivers a year, spend $1,000 on scotty putters that are just a chunk of metal on a shaft with a scotty logo on it, and then out of the other side of their mouth say PXG is a ripoff.

The difference between a pxg set and a normal good set of irons is about 1.75x in terms of cost. The difference between a honda civic and a lamborghini is, conservatively, 20 times the cost. When you look at the purpose of a car, much like a golf club, it was invented for a single purpose; to get you where you're going. A golf club in similar insofar as it is simply something you intend to hit a ball with. Sure a lamborghini is objectively better than a honda, but that is not why people are paying 25x the price for it and to suggest as such is simply being ignorant of engaging in sophistry. Also consider the effective cost of ownership and the fact that there are these things called "speed limits" on the roads whereby, even if performance is better, you are limited by law to not even use what you are paying for..The luxury element is what people are paying for, prestige or attention or whatever you want to call it; the technology in a $300,000 car is better than in a $30,000 car, but is it $270,000 better? The answer is YES, to those that can afford it.

Ferraris are a luxury item, just like most scotty cameron putters that are objectively more costly than another putter. I am not bashing anyone's tastes or saying anyone is stupid for purchasing anything they want to own, my issue is why would you hate PXG for doing things other brands do? There are other attributes, besides clubs, such as their service, that make them special.

I own several pxg clubs and they are work well for me; sure they cost more but for the first time in a long time, I have not bought new irons in two years. Also, if I want to call pxg or show up at their office, they do treat you well compared to other golf brands who could care less about me. I bought a putter directly from them last year and the service was incredible. Then when they released new headcovers 6 months later. they contacted me to send the new version at no cost, and they sent me some other small things as well.

I had peeling on my ping s55 and, while I love ping products, I could not get anyone to pay attention to me and actually get a resolution. I also think that people blow the prices out of proportion; I just bought a hybrid from PXGwith no upcharge handcrafted hzrdus black; that ran me about $500 (in Canadian dollars), the new Ping Hybrids are $339 up here plus 13% hst and with the handcrafted hzrdus, it would actually be more expensive for me to purchase from Ping.

Needless to say, I disagree with you...

I agree with this. EXCEPT for one thing:

Your thinking that Ferraris and Lambos are just luxury items is naive. I'm guessing that maybe you've never driven one, because otherwise you would know that there is a visceral satisfaction from their drivability that cannot be quantified. You may THINK that the owner is trying to impress. In my experience, people who can afford these $350,000 - $500,000 machines really don't worry about what other people think. The old saying, "if you have to ask how much...." applies here.

I think that most arguments about whether PXGs are worth the price is usually a justification for not affording them, or is a stretch for someone and their financial sanity wins their personal struggle with the decision. Protests by some that they CAN afford them, but just don't think they are better, are just fine.

Until about the 3rd time they protest and sustain the argument beyond reason. Then, just as Lady McBeth, they "doeth protest too much."

• 2 weeks later...

I know about the 2mph ball speed, has anyone hit both and can explain their experience and why they'd choose gen2 vs gen1?

Wondering whether I should sell my t's and get the gen2 and whether it's even worth investigating; broadly I don't upgrade to the next gen set historically but normally the updates come every 12-18 months from other oems.

Need a shaft update for CHIII....did not look like DG TI x100 at Austin.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The pw is much too rounded looking, but the rest of the set looks great with the high toe and semi blunted nose.

Did you hit them? Curious how they compare to the gen 1 0311T. I'm not really concerned about ball speeds, a little extra forgiveness would be great though. They definitely look nice, but I have no complaints about the looks of the gen 1.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish