2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Adult Clubs

darter79

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter didn't start playing until she was 12.5 (7th Grade at the time). She started with used Ladies Clubs. She moved right into the Cobra Amp Men's clubs with a graphite shaft within a year. Have no idea what her club head speed was at that time.

I got my boy adult clubs when he was 11. Went straight to Wilson Forged V6 which are cavity back with a muscle back feel. He had an 83 mph swing speed at the time.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I am moving my boy into forged Cobra heads, similar to Wilson V6, with graphite shafts this spring. He will be 11. His SS right now is around 79 with a 39" shaft. He will be around 82 by then with the 41" driver shaft. I feel the super cavity backs mask the mishits too much. I want him to feel what a well struck shot is like and work on that, so hoping the smaller forged head will give him more feedback. May not work and end up going back to a deeper cavity back though.

When I say the title of this thread I assumed it was going to be about something much different........now excuse me I feel really embarrassed.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/clearance/clearance-iron-sets/5611824.html?cgid=iron-sets-clearance

There is a good deal on CPO for a steelhead set with KBS 580 jr shafts if anyone is looking. Looks like -2” which would be 60” based on USK sizing. They often drop the prices daily, and sometimes have 15% off specials so might be worth keeping an eye on.

• 2 weeks later...

My son (7 Yr Old) has had his new Cobra f8 irons in the bag for a few weeks now. It probably wasn't the best idea to switch clubs before a regional tournament coming up, but he was outgrowing his current set so my options were to either go 51 tour series or adult irons.

Thus far, the extra heft and lofts are taking some time to get used to. He played a US Kids 4 ball last weekend and hit the clubs great with a team score of 31. Only time will tell if I made the right move, but I'll keep this thread updated. Given my son's age, height, strength, etc, we may have jumped to adult irons a bit early..

When looking at adult clubs for juniors, does anyone have faith in the Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) rating system? http://ralphmaltby.com/maltby-playability-factor/

I'd never heard of MPF, but stumbled into it today. Looking at it though, it seems that you could find some good used clubs on eBay that meet the Ultra Game Improvement or Super Game Improvement numbers, put a junior shaft and grip on them and have at it. A lot of Callaway Big Bertha series from the early 2000's on top of this list in the Ultra Game Improvement rating ( http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-head-ratings/ )

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

My son (7 Yr Old) has had his new Cobra f8 irons in the bag for a few weeks now. It probably wasn't the best idea to switch clubs before a regional tournament coming up, but he was outgrowing his current set so my options were to either go 51 tour series or adult irons.

Thus far, the extra heft and lofts are taking some time to get used to. He played a US Kids 4 ball last weekend and hit the clubs great with a team score of 31. Only time will tell if I made the right move, but I'll keep this thread updated. Given my son's age, height, strength, etc, we may have jumped to adult irons a bit early..

Those are great clubs! What shafts did you go with in irons and woods?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

did you go with standard lofts, or did you weaken them some?

I've been researching adult/ladies irons too manly my fear is the lack of loft or how strong todays lofts are in comparison to what she is currently playing.

I've been researching adult/ladies irons too manly my fear is the lack of loft or how strong todays lofts are in comparison to what she is currently playing.

Standard lofts. Looking back i should have bent them a few degrees weaker.

Leezer we got kbs tgi 5o shafts

I would agree with that. About 2-3 years too early.

Here is the thing. The best players in the world are using US Kids Irons at your daughters age. Allen Kornikova won the 10 year old US Kids Championship using.... US Kids Tour Irons. There is no reason to get into the hype of moving into adult clubs until they are ready. It is junior golf. Just because one kid has them at 8 doesn't mean your kid needs them at 8. More than likely if an 8 year old has them, it was a dumb move because they weren't ready for them. Adult clubs too early can really change the fundamentals in a swing. Don't get caught up in the hype!! If an 8 year has them and can use them, then it is probably an over sized 8 year old that is big enough to wing them. Being good at 7 or 8 doesn't dictate what type of club you should be using. What dictates the club you should be using is height, weight, physical prowess, and the last is swing speed. How good your kid is has nothing to do with the move.

Here is the thing. The best players in the world are using US Kids Irons at your daughters age. Allen Kornikova won the 10 year old US Kids Championship using.... US Kids Tour Irons. There is no reason to get into the hype of moving into adult clubs until they are ready. It is junior golf. Just because one kid has them at 8 doesn't mean your kid needs them at 8. More than likely if an 8 year old has them, it was a dumb move because they weren't ready for them. Adult clubs too early can really change the fundamentals in a swing. Don't get caught up in the hype!! If an 8 year has them and can use them, then it is probably an over sized 8 year old that is big enough to wing them. Being good at 7 or 8 doesn't dictate what type of club you should be using. What dictates the club you should be using is height, weight, physical prowess, and the last is swing speed.

Just been looking I know she got plenty of time before she is ready for that we are happy with the Flynn clubs she currently plays, in my opinion just as good as us kids. Granted we havent used the tour series, might buy one as a sample since she about to out grow the flynn irons she currently has. The only adult clubs she plays are the driver, 7 wood, and a hybrid all of which currently has flynn shafts in them. (thinking about going to ladies shafts there) She does fall into that oversized kid but I know better then to force her into adult clubs too soon. She is 54" (still playing 51" though) and is 7.5 years old. She also has an adult putter which was worth its weight in gold. Love Edel putters simply the best.

Here is the thing. The best players in the world are using US Kids Irons at your daughters age. Allen Kornikova won the 10 year old US Kids Championship using.... US Kids Tour Irons. There is no reason to get into the hype of moving into adult clubs until they are ready. It is junior golf. Just because one kid has them at 8 doesn't mean your kid needs them at 8. More than likely if an 8 year old has them, it was a dumb move because they weren't ready for them. Adult clubs too early can really change the fundamentals in a swing. Don't get caught up in the hype!! If an 8 year has them and can use them, then it is probably an over sized 8 year old that is big enough to wing them. Being good at 7 or 8 doesn't dictate what type of club you should be using. What dictates the club you should be using is height, weight, physical prowess, and the last is swing speed.

Just been looking I know she got plenty of time before she is ready for that we are happy with the Flynn clubs she currently plays, in my opinion just as good as us kids. Granted we havent used the tour series, might buy one as a sample since she about to out grow the flynn irons she currently has. The only adult clubs she plays are the driver, 7 wood, and a hybrid all of which currently has flynn shafts in them. (thinking about going to ladies shafts there) She does fall into that oversized kid but I know better then to force her into adult clubs too soon. She is 54" (still playing 51" though) and is 7.5 years old. She also has an adult putter which was worth its weight in gold. Love Edel putters simply the best.

Ladies Shaft will probably be the way to go. I can see ladies clubs as the heads are lighter weight.

I believe taking my son to an adult club is a bit extreme for a reward for placing at a tournament.

Seriously, I got my son Flynn clubs at around age 10, ladies graphite shafts at age 11, and he switched up to men's stiff flex irons last year when he was 12. He is now 13, about 5'6".

Out of curiosity, what is your son's club head speed, ball speed, and smash factor? What was it when you made the switch to stiff? I know within the next year I am going to have to make that jump to stiff shafts for my son. He can swing the club 93 mph when he goes at it 100%. To get the best ball speed and smash factor he swings it at 90% which gives a swing speed of 88-90 which give him a ball speed around 130 + or - up to 3 mph and a smash factor of 1.45 to 1.47. All of this resulting in total drive numbers of 220 to 240 depending on how the ball was struck.

Never had those numbers documented. We went to Dicks and hit in their facility just before he turned 13 and the guy recommended stiff flex based on his numbers. He works with a PGA Professional and he thought he should move up to stiff. He averages 230 or so (he'll claim longer!) on drives, maybe 270/280 when he flushes one. Hits an 8 iron from 150 I think.

Never had those numbers documented. We went to Dicks and hit in their facility just before he turned 13 and the guy recommended stiff flex based on his numbers. He works with a PGA Professional and he thought he should move up to stiff. He averages 230 or so (he'll claim longer!) on drives, maybe 270/280 when he flushes one. Hits an 8 iron from 150 I think.

Has he gone through puberty yet? Waiting for mine to grow and I know there will be a big jump in numbers when he does.

Going through it now. Looks older every couple of weeks. Seen a big change over this winter. Excited to see his gains when we start back up. We're finishing up basketball, getting baseball started, and golf isn't too far off. Too cold in Illinois still.

7th or 8th Grade? That is awesome.