How many of you have other Hobbies?

XYB34A

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobby wise, I'm a musician first. Been playing an instrument of some kind since I was 4. Been playing guitar for 27 years and it is my passion.

I paint Table Top Wargaming miniatures as well. Warhammer 40K, Age of Sigmar and Infinity miniatures mostly.

I used to fly RC Helicopters, but really, you crash them more than fly them. It was soul crushing to see those beautiful machines go up into a million pieces. So I stopped. No matter how good you are at it, you will crash.

I also dabble in Videogames and PC games. Not really a hobby at this point as I play for awhile and then get bored.

Haha, I used to fly RC planes when I was young - gliders and props. I remember being at our club's airfield and when someone fired up a helo everyone would pause and watch, especially if they weren't using the big safety skids. You always pulled for the pilot, but I saw plenty of beautiful machines end up in splinters. I always kind of wondered why these guys were putting all that time and money into that type of RC flying.

I also enjoy crossbow shooting and whitetail deer hunting. My Scorpyd Orion is a beast.

Also, I have a Rectec pellet smoker that I love trying new rubs and techniques on different meats.

It's so late, been a long day and I'm so tired....at first glance I thought you wrote you had a rectal pellet

smoker and I was thinking.........that can't be right and I reread it......glad you're not smoking rectal pellets.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Haha, I used to fly RC planes when I was young - gliders and props. I remember being at our club's airfield and when someone fired up a helo everyone would pause and watch, especially if they weren't using the big safety skids. You always pulled for the pilot, but I saw plenty of beautiful machines end up in splinters. I always kind of wondered why these guys were putting all that time and money into that type of RC flying.

It's a HUGE adrenaline rush flying those things. I was getting pretty good at it, but the cost was just too high. Every crash was at least $200 in parts and hours in repairs. And you crash almost every time you go out if you are trying to improve your skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh no.....have a new activity; Run and Gun! Definitely going to cut into my practice and playing time for golf. Haven't really touched a club since early December.

A "Run and Gun" is a similar in spirit to an Olympic biathlon by combining both physical fitness and target shooting combines. The major difference is that in a Run and Gun there is no skiing; competitors run or walk as desired, a course that may be 3.5 to 7 miles in length. Run and Gun competitions are most often two-gun events utilizing a center-fire rifle and pistol to complete the shooting stages that are setup along the course. Competitors are generally required to carry all equipment that may be needed with them over the entire course, including water.

Did my first event a couple of weeks ago, Waco Tactical Fitness. Finished 30th out of 71 that entered the 3.5 mile event on Sunday.

https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/

Very challenging and loads of fun! Next event is mid June and I believe I'm hooked.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

For me it's downhill skiing, flag football, craft beer, table tennis, board games, and I just starting road biking.

I've gotten injured a couple times over the past 2 years playing flag football (broken finger and broken collarbone), so that has interfered with most other activities. I might have to give it up if it keeps getting in the way of everything else.

Oh no.....have a new activity; Run and Gun! Definitely going to cut into my practice and playing time for golf. Haven't really touched a club since early December.

A "Run and Gun" is a similar in spirit to an Olympic biathlon by combining both physical fitness and target shooting combines. The major difference is that in a Run and Gun there is no skiing; competitors run or walk as desired, a course that may be 3.5 to 7 miles in length. Run and Gun competitions are most often two-gun events utilizing a center-fire rifle and pistol to complete the shooting stages that are setup along the course. Competitors are generally required to carry all equipment that may be needed with them over the entire course, including water.

Did my first event a couple of weeks ago, Waco Tactical Fitness. Finished 30th out of 71 that entered the 3.5 mile event on Sunday.

https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/

Very challenging and loads of fun! Next event is mid June and I believe I'm hooked.

I'll keep you in mind as a potential buddy when the zombie apocalypse happens

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

• 2 weeks later...

Guitars and amps; cars (currently mid build with my 2018 STI); and recreational shooting.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Radio controlled airplanes/helicopters (not that self-fly drone stuff that’s been destroying the hobby)

Reading

Cycling

Music - trumpet player through college / been learning the guitar for 2 years now...

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh, hiking, backpacking, camping, scuba diving, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, kayak fishing, cycling, tennis, guitar.

So that's where all my money went... :swoon:

I bought a couple tennis racquets at $200 a piece. After the first string job with poly @ 53 lbs it was heaven. I could take a big cut at the ball and it would reliably drop in the court, although my shoulder got a bit sore afterwards. 2 weeks later after 3 hitting sessions, everything is starting to sail on me. Further research indicates that this is common and apparently you need to restring about every 2-3 weeks at $15 labor plus cost of string. Jeez, I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to golf for physical activity but this is like paying greens fees.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

Sheesh, hiking, backpacking, camping, scuba diving, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, kayak fishing, cycling, tennis, guitar.

I bought a couple tennis racquets at $200 a piece. After the first string job with poly @ 53 lbs it was heaven. I could take a big cut at the ball and it would reliably drop in the court, although my shoulder got a bit sore afterwards. 2 weeks later after 3 hitting sessions, everything is starting to sail on me. Further research indicates that this is common and apparently you need to restring about every 2-3 weeks at $15 labor plus cost of string. Jeez, I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to golf for physical activity but this is like paying greens fees.

That isn't true at all. The strings have an initial break in period and then will settle at tension. If you are playing high level competitive (college, semi-pro) you should be restringing constantly because of the tension loss (and breakage). If you are a recreation player, string them a little high (since you like 53, probably in the 55-56 range) and then go and play. Racquet will feel a little dead at first but once the strings settle it should be the same as the 53 new. I've had the strings in my racquet for years and I usually play around a USTA level 4-5 when I play.

That isn't true at all. The strings have an initial break in period and then will settle at tension. If you are playing high level competitive (college, semi-pro) you should be restringing constantly because of the tension loss (and breakage). If you are a recreation player, string them a little high (since you like 53, probably in the 55-56 range) and then go and play. Racquet will feel a little dead at first but once the strings settle it should be the same as the 53 new. I've had the strings in my racquet for years and I usually play around a USTA level 4-5 when I play.

I agree that unless you are a 6.0+ and serve 120 and play 5x per week, you shouldn't need to restring that often. The average 4.5 shouldn't notice the difference between a few lbs of tension, unless maybe you don't hit with much topspin to begin with. That's why you use topspin, to keep the ball in the court.

I play about 2x per week and restring about twice per year, making tennis the cheapest of my activities (after spending ~$150 each on 4 rackets over the years).

For clarification, do you guys use polyester? I read that it sags much quicker than a synthetic gut or other synthetic materials. I swear the feel and playability were very different compared to fresh, and I really had to uppercut the bottom of the ball with a western grip, or cut my swing short/block it back to keep it in play. Perhaps I'll try a couple different strings and see which one lasts longer, and thanks for the tip about going with a higher initial tension.

@thug the bunny When I got back into tennis, I did hit mostly flat with eastern forehand grip and the ball would drop in safely. That's probably why I noticed the difference over time and had to switch my technique to a Western gripped uppercut or chip.

For the record, I bought Yonex Ezone 100 racquets strung with Volkl Cyclone 16.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

For clarification, do you guys use polyester? I read that it sags much quicker than a synthetic gut or other synthetic materials. I swear the feel and playability were very different compared to fresh, and I really had to uppercut the bottom of the ball with a western grip, or cut my swing short/block it back to keep it in play. Perhaps I'll try a couple different strings and see which one lasts longer, and thanks for the tip about going with a higher initial tension. @thug the bunny When I got back into tennis, I did hit mostly flat with eastern forehand grip and the ball would drop in safely. That's probably why I noticed the difference over time and had to switch my technique to a Western gripped uppercut or chip. For the record, I bought Yonex Ezone 100 racquets strung with Volkl Cyclone 16.

I use two rackets these days, one with poly 17g and one with syn gut 16g. Yes, the poly becomes softer and more springy after a few sessions but it also can provide more spin. Once it does it's initial stretching it settles in and doesn't change. The synthetic feels more boardlike. But, some of that feeling also comes from the frames. It's probably not a good idea competition-wise to use to different sticks, but I like the variety. So during warm up and during the first game or two I dial in how much of a topspin uppercut (windshield wiper) swing I need, esp since that is also dependent on the balls (new or worn) and weather.

And yeah, no one uses the eastern grip these days except of course for serving and volleying.