PNW Trip in August

Argonne69

I'm in the early stages of planning a possible trip to the Pacific Northwest in mid-August. My initial thoughts are to stay within 2 hours of Seattle. Using Golf Digest's and Golf Magazine's "Best (Public) in State" lists, my initial list of courses include: Chambers Bay, Salish Cliffs, White Horse, Loomis Trail, Semiahmoo, Gold Mountain (Olympic), Trophy Lake, Washington National, and Port Ludlow. I think I could make a clockwise circle around the sound using the Port Townsend-Coupeville Ferry to I-5 for the final leg up to Blaine.

Are there any other must-play public courses in the area? Any on this list that don't belong?

I've excluded Gamble Sands, Wine Valley, and Palouse Ridge, as they are all 4+ hours drive from Seattle. 'Not sure I'd want to travel that far unless they were bucket list type courses.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was around Seattle I would play these 3 for sure

day 1-Gold mountain Both on same day

day 2- Chambers and home course 20 minutes apart

day 3- Drive just over an hour and play Suncadia both public courses

how many days are you doing on this trip?

How many days are you wanting to play?

Good courses-

White horse- just nothing super close for a 2nd round. Maybe Trophy lake which is fun

Semiahmoo- pretty far from seattle but good course you could add loomis in the same day.

Hawks Praire- courses in Lacey ( a bit of a drive) 2 good courses here. or pick one and add Salish Cliffs.

Washington national- is hit or miss on conditions. Right by it is Druids glenn which is an awesome layout by miss and miss on conditions.

If you can get on private courses I would do a day of Sahalee and then Aldara

Tacoma country club is good old course

I would include the Home Course in that list. You may want to check out this package:

https://www.chambers...hip-experience/

There's also some really good courses here in Portland. Drop me a line if you make it down here.

Thanks. I'll be traveling solo, so the double-occupancy deals usually don't pan out. I'll give them a call, though.

It's very unlikely I'll head down to Portland on this trip. I'll be in the area on a future trip, though.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I would include the Home Course in that list. You may want to check out this package:

There's also some really good courses here in Portland. Drop me a line if you make it down here.

Thanks. I'll be traveling solo, so the double-occupancy deals usually don't pan out. I'll give them a call, though.

It's very unlikely I'll head down to Portland on this trip. I'll be in the area on a future trip, though.

There are soo many around Seattle going to Portland is unnecessary

I'm thinking about flying out on a Friday evening, and then golfing Saturday through Wednesday before flying back on Thursday. I generally play two rounds a day, and then drive to the next hotel. So, it's likely to be 9 or 10 rounds. 'Probably 7 or 8 rounds at a minimum. My body clock stays on Central Time, so being the first one out at sunrise generally helps getting two rounds in day fairly easy.

I don't know a club pro, so private clubs are basically off the table. I've now played 430+ public courses, so skipping private courses hasn't spoiled the fun.

If you're going to make it up to Bellingham/Blaine area, I'd suggest North Bellingham or Shuksan if you want to knock out another course, or Avalon on your way up. Pretty sure Loomis/Semiahmoo rotate days in which they're public, but not sure if you can hop on the "private" for a replay rate after playing the "public" that day. Gold Mountain- Olympic in August may very well be the best value of a golf course around.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I'm thinking about flying out on a Friday evening, and then golfing Saturday through Wednesday before flying back on Thursday. I generally play two rounds a day, and then drive to the next hotel. So, it's likely to be 9 or 10 rounds. 'Probably 7 or 8 rounds at a minimum.

I don't know a club pro, so private clubs are basically off the table. I've now played 430+ public courses, so skipping private courses hasn't spoiled the fun.

I remember your mesquite/ st george trip so that is why I put two together. Any preference on course types?

Day 4 you do Salish cliff's and maybe a Hawks Praire

Day 5 Maybe drive 3 hours to Blaine.

once you figure out lineup let us know if you want food or other recommendations.

I've never played in the PNW. Do the courses generally have a "look", e.g. tall, towering pines? For example, Florida courses certainly have a look and feel, as do course in the Carolinas and Nebraska. When you're standing in the middle of the fairway, do you look around and say, "Yup. This is Washington State"?

Other than Chambers Bay, I'm pretty much looking for pine tree lined courses on rolling terrain.

I'd make the trip to Gamble Sands - you could hit those courses around Cle Elum on the way there or back.

Or skip them, drive out to Brewster, stay overnight, play 36, drive back to Seattle area.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Chambers and home course you are right against the Sound- great views but not much forest

Suncadia is a mountain resort that is a must IMO- the two courses are very different but have character Prospector is very Washingtony....

Gold Mnt is awesome. Try and get one of the rounds on Golfnow or other discount site

I think it is hard to escape Pine tree's entirely in that state. I lived there for 13 years and don't care as much for tree'd courses. People get really excited for them in Utah and to me they are just another course in Washington.

I've never played in the PNW. Do the courses generally have a "look", e.g. tall, towering pines? For example, Florida courses certainly have a look and feel, as do course in the Carolinas and Nebraska. When you're standing in the middle of the fairway, do you look around and say, "Yup. This is Washington State"?

Other than Chambers Bay, I'm pretty much looking for pine tree lined courses on rolling terrain.

Yes, the typical PNW course does have a 'look' - and you are almost correct... except it's Doug firs and Spruce instead of pines. Salish is a prime example. There can be more elevation than 'rolling', but that is course dependent.

Chambers is definitely an exception to the PNW vibe. Generally, the closer to the coast, the less trees...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I'd make the trip to Gamble Sands - you could hit those courses around Che'lum on the way there or back.

Or skip them, drive out to Brewster, stay overnight, play 36, drive back to Seattle area.

i've heard great things about Gamble Sands, But man is it in the middle of nowhere..

Sure but add in the Cle 'Elum courses - which give him those tree-filled mountains - and it's only an addtional 2hrs from there.

You could easily kill 2hrs in traffic just driving around Seattle.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If you're heading that way, go an hour from Cle Elum to Bear Mountain Ranch and save the extra hour out to Brewster. Gamble is fun, but in our buddies trip that goes out to Chelan each year we all agree Bear Mountain is as fun, if not more, more scenic, and half the price. In my opinion, the allure to Gamble is largely due to being a friendly course that you can score extremely well on. No OB, every drop you get your distance, and everything funnels to the fairway/greens.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

If you're visiting the area, it'll be wise to (1) stay near where you golf. You could stay in the Pierce County for Chambers Bay, Home Course , Trophy Lake and Move to Salish Cliff for Gold Mountain and Port Ludlow. BTW, we had not visited Port Ludlow since they changed hands and "remodeled" the golf courses.

If time allow, I'd skip the North loop and head East to Suncadia. I would only do the North loop if you plan on visiting Vancouver B.C. which is a beautiful in the Summer also.

Traffic around the metro area will be terrible with road construction ( around Tacoma , I-5 corridor ) and high volume of usage from locals and the visitors.

(2) call up the golf course for their current condition, and don't let them B.S. you. Many golf courses are not in great shape because of the weather we had had in the last 2-3 years. Tall trees = shades = fungus growth. A few golf courses had the change out their covers for the greens because aerification and top dressing could not maintain the putting surface from the weather.

If they could not tell you it's in "wonderful" condition, I would not make the trip and pay premium green fee for the round. If you don't ask them in detailed questions, regarding the condition of the tee box, fairway, and greens..... they'll always tell you it's in "good" condition which could be several levels from being "great".

Actually, if you're not into the night scene in the City, I'd just stay in the Pierce County and do the golf courses there. Within 20 miles, you'd have all the golf courses you want to play in a short time. Several of the guys I know moved to Pierce County after retirement because of the golf courses there. A bit South you'll have another Oki course of The Hawks Prairie ( the Woddlands & the Links )

Ideally, you could do the Hawks Prairie ( 36 holes ), Do the Home Course and the Chambers Bay on another day ( I'd do the Chambers in the morning, walking only, then ride the cart at the Home Course in the P.M. ).

Do the Trophy Lake and the McCormick Woods in one day.

Stay over Salish Lodge and do the Gold Mountain one day ( 36 holes ), , do the Salish Cliff and the PortLudlow and ride the ferry back to Seattle .

You'd be sore all over after playing 36 each and everyday.................and there is the Hawks Prairie and other nice golf courses for the next trip.

The price break on Chambers may make this worth it. It's spendy, that time of year...

If you're visiting the area, it'll be wise to (1) stay near where you golf. You could stay in the Pierce County for Chambers Bay, Home Course , Trophy Lake and Move to Salish Cliff for Gold Mountain and Port Ludlow. BTW, we had not visited Port Ludlow since they changed hands and "remodeled" the golf courses.

If time allow, I'd skip the North loop and head East to Suncadia. I would only do the North loop if you plan on visiting Vancouver B.C. which is a beautiful in the Summer also.

Traffic around the metro area will be terrible with road construction ( around Tacoma , I-5 corridor ) and high volume of usage from locals and the visitors.

(2) call up the golf course for their current condition, and don't let them B.S. you. Many golf courses are not in great shape because of the weather we had had in the last 2-3 years. Tall trees = shades = fungus growth. A few golf courses had the change out their covers for the greens because aerification and top dressing could not maintain the putting surface from the weather.

If they could not tell you it's in "wonderful" condition, I would not make the trip and pay premium green fee for the round. If you don't ask them in detailed questions, regarding the condition of the tee box, fairway, and greens..... they'll always tell you it's in "good" condition which could be several levels from being "great".

+1 on the traffic. Seattle/Tacoma traffic is heinous...

+1 on the traffic. Seattle/Tacoma traffic is heinous...

You can play around seattle on the Saturday and Sunday and schedule the remote trips for the Monday and Tuesday. If you are driving away from Seattle in the morning you will be better off that towards.

IMO you play chambers to say you played chambers. Gold Mountain is absolutely incredible (the Mountain Course) The Cascade course is no slouch either. I would spend a whole day playing both courses if I were you.

White Horse is great but with almost every green being perched atop the fairway it is punishing (Also don't try and walk it. I tried once and walked almost 7 miles for just the first 9 holes).

Trophy Lake and Port Ludlow are Meh (pretty decent but nothing special)

Can't speak to the stuff on the East Side as I've only played Newcastle and really enjoyed it.

Hit me up with a PM as you get closer I"m on the Peninsula and belong to a private course that is short but is deceptively tough and in immaculate shape during the summer. If i'm around I'll bring you along for a round.

I'm definitely planning to be in a different hotel each night. I understand traffic is thick enough to avoid staying in a central location. By arriving late Friday, I'd start by driving down to the Tacoma area, before heading west/northwest. I assume (early) weekday traffic in the Bremerton area is manageable? If I'm teeing off at sunrise, I'd hope that pre-dawn traffic is fairly light.

I'd plan to walk Chambers Bay, but otherwise it's an electric cart. I can play 10 rounds in five days, but not walking.

Am I imagining things, or are there no golf courses on the Pacific Ocean west of Olympic National Park? Seems odd that the stretch from Neah Bay to Ocean Shores doesn't have one course.

If you're heading that way, go an hour from Cle Elum to Bear Mountain Ranch and save the extra hour out to Brewster. Gamble is fun, but in our buddies trip that goes out to Chelan each year we all agree Bear Mountain is as fun, if not more, more scenic, and half the price. In my opinion, the allure to Gamble is largely due to being a friendly course that you can score extremely well on. No OB, every drop you get your distance, and everything funnels to the fairway/greens.

Umm... I don't remember many red stakes out there ;)

F.T.

Umm... I don't remember many red stakes out there ;)

That was the rule that the starter and the pro shop gave us. We played it as if it was OB, but really caught me off guard as a "local" rule

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

I booked my flight, but seriously, WTF is with the rental car taxes/fees at SEA? 45%? Can I donate a kidney instead?

Washington doesn't have income tax so they make up for it in many places. The area west of the Olympics is very remote and technically a rain forest. The weather would be tough to get people out. Just on the east side of the Olympics is a course the Cedars at Dungeness that advertises 300 day without rain due to clouds going around.

I booked my flight, but seriously, WTF is with the rental car taxes/fees at SEA? 45%? Can I donate a kidney instead?

And the many different tax on the hotel fee and green fees. On the green fees we have the general sales tax. the luxury tax ( user's tax ) plus the City tax. I was not happy when they put all the tax (S) in place gradually through the last 10 years. Used to be when the green fees states $ 50 , that will the final number. If you could, get a rental car outside of the Airport. see if you could find better rate closer to your first destination. Many had taken the light rail or cab ( Uber) to the City and then have the rental car delivered to you at the hotel.

Unfortunately, when the guardians don't know how to balance the book, all the increases and new items pop up on the tax table. I hope you don't like sugared soda, because NEW sugar tax came into effect recently. I really miss Gary Locke, he was one of the few Governors left the position with a balanced book and surplus.

Yeah, I read about the soda tax. We had the same thing here in Cook County for a few months until us peasants revolted, and they were forced to rescind it. It was something along the lines of an 80% tax. Out of towners are always ripe for rip offs, but a 45% tax is the highest I've seen in my travels.

Seatac has hugely varying rental car fees, seemingly dependent on nothing in particular. I am in and out of there 6 times a year and still scratch my head.

One time I was playing Chambers I actually got my car rental from Tacoma - it was 1/3 of the price of Seatac - then when returning it, phoned and asked if I could return to Seatac and IIRC they only dinged me $20 for the one way rental.

F.T.

Argonne- let me throw a monkey wrench in your plans. What about doing Portland instead of Seattle? If you did the last weekend in August you could golf in the AM and watch the LPGA Cambia Classic in the afternoon. Sunday afternoon make the drive from Portland up to Bend. If you are a 36 a day guy you could do something like...

Sat- Pumpkin Ridge/LPGA

Sun- Langdon or Heron Lakes/LPGA then drive to Bend

Mon- drive to Bend/Aspen Lakes

Tue-Pronghorn/Brasada

Weds- Lost Tracks or Tetherow/drive back to Portland