2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rolling back the ball

Wesquire

i read it, both Jimmy Walker and Lucas Glover are employees of titleist, not exactly an unbiased objective view. they are speaking out against a 20% rollback of the ball "for the masses"

Jack is also in the "sub-divisions that feature golf courses" business. He also sells golf balls (not very well). He also benefited from supreme length over the field back in his day. Is he objective?

doesn't jack's firm stand to make more money from a longer golf ball through "restorations" of existing courses, and construction of new "championship" courses that better fit modern equipment? are you really going to take the position that the Golden Bear golf balls are relevant enough to stand to gain from a change in regulation?

it is absolutely fair to evaluation the position Jack's coming from, but i don't think these accusations are on point at all.

again, the USGA and R&A are the only ones motivated by the betterment of the game of golf.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the ball companies out there making good products, each of them just DYING to get "name" Tour players, none of these guys would be "shilling" for a company who did something they didn't like. They'd simply switch to a different company when their contract is up.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Anyone want to go play 9 after work?

But seriously, this is why I love this site. Wailing and gnashing of teeth for 43 pages. Bludgeoning each other's points post after post.

But I'd go walk 9 with 15th or tnord and listen to some cool stories and history of the courses they love so goddamn much. I love golf, after all. I'd rather do that than sit here and keep typing.

I'd walk 9 with Ashley Schaeffer because he seems like a funny a** guy and his commentary on that Shack podcast was terrific. I'm still pretty sure Walter Matthau is actually still alive and posting as North Butte.

Shalom.

I wouldn't. I don't like anybody. Especially myself, no one should have to play golf with me! :)

i read it, both Jimmy Walker and Lucas Glover are employees of titleist, not exactly an unbiased objective view. they are speaking out against a 20% rollback of the ball "for the masses"

Jack is also in the "sub-divisions that feature golf courses" business. He also sells golf balls (not very well). He also benefited from supreme length over the field back in his day. Is he objective?

The possibility of a rollback of distance directly impacts these guys. I cannot believe they would be pushing the company line if they were truly for it. What about James Hahn? He isn't a Titleist paid player.

yes he is.

https://www.titleist.com/tour/all-players?SearchTerm=James+Hahn&EquipmentType=&Tour=&OrderBy=rank

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Anyone want to go play 9 after work?

But seriously, this is why I love this site. Wailing and gnashing of teeth for 43 pages. Bludgeoning each other's points post after post.

But I'd go walk 9 with 15th or tnord and listen to some cool stories and history of the courses they love so goddamn much. I love golf, after all. I'd rather do that than sit here and keep typing.

I'd walk 9 with Ashley Schaeffer because he seems like a funny a** guy and his commentary on that Shack podcast was terrific. I'm still pretty sure Walter Matthau is actually still alive and posting as North Butte.

Shalom.

I wouldn't. I don't like anybody. Especially myself, no one should have to play golf with me! :)

Before you love others, you must learn to love yourself.

Be comfortable in your skin, Shank. Lose the pleats, but be comfortable in your skin.

Winter needs to end.

The possibility of a rollback of distance directly impacts these guys. I cannot believe they would be pushing the company line if they were truly for it. What about James Hahn? He isn't a Titleist paid player.

yes he is.

https://www.titleist...r=&OrderBy=rank

Lol, ok, so he plays their ball. A lot of players do. That does not disqualify his opinion. Maybe it directly impacts his game and is thus qualified to form an opinion? Which, I would argue, should be taken into consideration more than yours, mine, or Geoff Shackelford's. They are the ones who would have to deal with the consequences. But, since he doesn't agree, he is either a sellout who is representing Titleist, or he just doesn't understand the situation (according to Shackelford).

All Tour players are playing with a modern ball made by companies that would possibly lose sales. Do none of their opinions matter unless they agree with a rollback?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

do you guys have any authorities on the subject that supports your position you can point me to? or are you just going to make fun of people that actually care about this stuff?

Golf is a game. PGA Tour golf is entertainment. All of the customers are "authorities" on the subject, not just the lowest handicapped customers or golfers with the most golf skill or course designers. The only credential needed is to be a fan of PGA Tour golf. My opinion is just as valid as Jack's opinion.

But here is another view you might want to listen to;

http://www.golfchann...ers-pulse-game/

1) that won't happen because "the masses" don't compress the ball as it is. the modern equipment hasn't helped them gain distance, changing it won't hurt them either. i would argue that it will actually help them via higher spin.

2) i would not support a 20% shorter ball for the guy that can't hit it 200 either.

exactly my take... shills... for sure..both struggling and in no position to have any other opinion... It maybe their true opinion but its no accident that the ones against it are all titleist at this point and any who even hint at being for a rollback are mostly independent of a 14 club and ball contract

You have Titleist in your bag. no you don't get paid to I am guessing but does that disqualify you as well. Surely if Titleist is in your bag you feel they are best for you and would not wish them harmed. :)

Not a titleist ball. Lol.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

yes he is.

Lol, ok, so he plays their ball. A lot of players do. That does not disqualify his opinion. Maybe it directly impacts his game and is thus qualified to form an opinion? Which, I would argue, should be taken into consideration more than yours, mine, or Geoff Shackelford's. They are the ones who would have to deal with the consequences. But, since he doesn't agree, he is either a sellout who is representing Titleist, or he just doesn't understand the situation (according to Shackelford).

All Tour players are playing with a modern ball made by companies that would possibly lose sales. Do none of their opinions matter unless they agree with a rollback?

Bridgestone is pro roll back. Which is why titleist lost their minds.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was aware that they were working with the USGA at some level. I think Titleist probably saw that as an opportunity for Bridgestone to become a leader in the new "rolled back" golf balls. I wasn't aware on their stance as a company. So, if it is beyond them working with the USGA, I haven't seen it. Not saying it isn't true. I am curious on their viewpoint however.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

yes he is.

it kinda does though, because they're financially motivated, by titleist, to tow the company line. is it any coincidence that all of the tour pros that have been outspoken against a change in regs have been titleist staffers?

in JW's instagram post, he mentions the 20% rollback for average golfers. i don't think ANYBODY, even the pro rollback guys are supportive of that. obviously the USGA needs to conduct testing on iron byron with whatever the new ball spec is at swing speeds between like 60-140 to understand what's going to happen. i don't think even the USGA would be comfortable with a rollback if the guy swinging 70mph lost 20yards.

the anti-rollback crowd is all worked up about something that isn't even the objective.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I was aware that they were working with the USGA at some level. I think Titleist probably saw that as an opportunity for Bridgestone to become a leader in the new "rolled back" golf balls. I wasn't aware on their stance as a company. So, if it is beyond them working with the USGA, I haven't seen it. Not saying it isn't true. I am curious on their viewpoint however.

i'm sure titleist was afforded the opportunity to cooperate, but given their confrontational history around this issue, they declined. at least i hope the USGA extended the invite to them to cooperate (along with TM, Callaway, Bstone, Snell, etc), but if they didn't i'd understand.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

it kinda does though, because they're financially motivated, by titleist, to tow the company line. is it any coincidence that all of the tour pros that have been outspoken against a change in regs have been titleist staffers?

in JW's instagram post, he mentions the 20% rollback for average golfers. i don't think ANYBODY, even the pro rollback guys are supportive of that. obviously the USGA needs to conduct testing on iron byron with whatever the new ball spec is at swing speeds between like 60-140 to understand what's going to happen. i don't think even the USGA would be comfortable with a rollback if the guy swinging 70mph lost 20yards.

the anti-rollback crowd is all worked up about something that isn't even the objective.

Do you think James Hahn's golf ball contract is pulling in a large $$ amount for him? If push came to shove, I would imagine he could move on to any other manufacturer. I don't think Titleist sent a memo out to their staffers at any level asking them to go out into the media and push their agenda.

Players like him are making way more money on the course than they are in endorsements from golf ball only contracts. This would have an affect on his on course performance, I don't understand how that isn't taken into consideration. These younger players have never had to play with persimmon and balata. They grew up on the ProV1. It's all they know. Is it surprising that they would be against reducing distance to pre-modern golf era numbers?

Edit: I realize that last statement doesn't apply to every tour player, Lucas Glover and Jimmy Walker for instance.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

When Tiger Woods gets paid by Bridgestone to tout their golf balls, he is taking a principled stand to support a company who is pursuing his dream of what a golf ball should be.

When Jimmy Walker gets paid by Titleist to keep playing the ball he played even before he got paid, he's just a corporate shill selling out his own beliefs grubbing for dollars.

Got it.

When Tiger Woods gets paid by Bridgestone to tout their golf balls, he is taking a principled stand to support a company who is pursuing his dream of what a golf ball should be.

When Jimmy Walker gets paid by Titleist to keep playing the ball he played even before he got paid, he's just a corporate shill selling out his own beliefs grubbing for dollars.

Got it.

Don't forget the Tiger Bridgestone video pointing out the fact that he out drove the ProV1 player. I personally like it, but in that regard doesn't he disqualify his opinion as well?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Do you think James Hahn's golf ball contract is pulling in a large $$ amount for him? If push came to shove, I would imagine he could move on to any other manufacturer. I don't think Titleist sent a memo out to their staffers at any level asking them to go out into the media and push their agenda.

Players like him are making way more money on the course than they are in endorsements from golf ball only contracts. This would have an affect on his on course performance, I don't understand how that isn't taken into consideration. These younger players have never had to play with persimmon and balata. They grew up on the ProV1. It's all they know. Is it surprising that they would be against reducing distance to pre-modern golf era numbers?

Edit: I realize that last statement doesn't apply to every tour player, Lucas Glover and Jimmy Walker for instance.

1) i think James Hahn, and and all golfers around his place in world rankings/tour standing will take most sponsorship opportunities that come their way (how many logos can people fit on their shirt/hat/bag anymore?

2) again, bifurcation has already happened. there's what, a dozen versions of the pro-v in play on tour? Kevin Na just posted about his tour only version proV that got him 6 more yards or whatever (but the PGA Tour official stance is that no one is getting longer!!!!!)? tiger played essentially a b-stone version of the one-tour D * with a swoosh painted on it. sergio played the "b-head" versions of whatever taylormade iron of the day. the bottom line being that the manufacturers will make you whatever version of equipment you want, as long as their brand is on it.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I am surprised some of the other OEM's are not calling for a roll back. There must come a point where driver sales are going to dip as players keep hold of there 1/2/3+ year old drivers because they are as good as the new ones.

Some sort of roll back of the tour style ball might allow for the restrictions on the drivers to be relaxed.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

1) i think James Hahn, and and all golfers around his place in world rankings/tour standing will take most sponsorship opportunities that come their way (how many logos can people fit on their shirt/hat/bag anymore?

2) again, bifurcation has already happened. there's what, a dozen versions of the pro-v in play on tour? tiger played essentially a b-stone version of the one-tour D * with a swoosh painted on it. sergio played the "b-head" versions of whatever taylormade iron of the day. the bottom line being that the manufacturers will make you whatever version of equipment you want, as long as their brand is on it.

That's not a different set of rules though. That is differently spec'd equipment that is within the same rule set we abide by. They just so happen to not be available to us. If you got ahold of their spec'd golf balls, you could play them in any USGA sanctioned event you like.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I am surprised some of the other OEM's are not calling for a roll back. There must come a point where driver sales are going to dip as players keep hold of there 1/2/3+ year old drivers because they are as good as the new ones.

Some sort of roll back of the tour style ball might allow for the restrictions on the drivers to be relaxed.

Do you think people will slow down on buying new drivers Bye? I think most people know that a new club isn’t going to transform them instantly, but they still keep trying. It will be interesting to see.

2) again, bifurcation has already happened. there's what, a dozen versions of the pro-v in play on tour? Kevin Na just posted about his tour only version proV that got him 6 more yards or whatever (but the PGA Tour official stance is that no one is getting longer!!!!!)? tiger played essentially a b-stone version of the one-tour D * with a swoosh painted on it. sergio played the "b-head" versions of whatever taylormade iron of the day. the bottom line being that the manufacturers will make you whatever version of equipment you want, as long as their brand is on it.

Ah yes, the old "Tour players get hotter equipment than amateurs" wheeze. Been hearing that one for ages.

that discussion has been going on as long as i've been on this board.

person; "COR is maxed, equipment can't help me."

mfg; "jailbreak rocketballz tour F3 is longer, higher, and straighter!!!!"

person: "shut up and take my money!!!!!"

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

some of you are a marketing agencies dream.

Lol, a marketing agencies dream? I just know for a fact that those balls have different characteristics. They aren't juiced and don't have some sort of magical effect on a players swing. I know enough to realize that the equipment played by a lot of players on tour isn't the same as what I can buy off the rack.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Do you think people will slow down on buying new drivers Bye? I think most people know that a new club isn’t going to transform them instantly, but they still keep trying. It will be interesting to see.

Honestly I don't know. I have seen people buy new gear when the numbers and performance are no better, but a driver is a big investment now. For some there must come a point where there has to be an improvement to warrant spending that much. Maybe not.

But then who doesn't want the latest shiny new thing.

Just a thought, probably a wasted one.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

some of you are a marketing agencies dream.

Lol, a marketing agencies dream? I just know for a fact that those balls have different characteristics. They aren't juiced and don't have some sort of magical effect on a players swing. I know enough to realize that the equipment played by a lot of players on tour isn't the same as what I can buy off the rack.

but you insist on the regulations being the same so that you can "feel" like you're playing anything resembling the same game.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Honestly I don't know. I have seen people buy new gear when the numbers and performance are no better, but a driver is a big investment now. For some there must come a point where there has to be an improvement to warrant spending that much. Maybe not.

But then who doesn't want the latest shiny new thing.

Just a thought, probably a wasted one.

I think it's part of the overall golf hobby for a lot of members here. When I purchase a driver, I am not expecting more ball speed. But, I do try them to see if there is different playing characteristics. If it's more forgiving, or if it gives me better launch conditions. I don't know too many people in the real world that cycle through equipment like the members here.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X