2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

A couple questions for a trip to st. andrews

I have a couple questions about a trip I will be taking in August. My wife, sister in law, brother in law, and myself will be traveling overseas for a 10 day vacation this August. The brother in law and I are planning on playing the Castle Course for sure and hopefully atleast one course somewhere in Ireland. This will be my first time flying anywhere so unsure how to get my clubs there.

My questions are fairly straight forward.

1. What is the best and cheapest way to ship my clubs over there? Would it be better to just rent some?

2. When booking tee times, how early do you book at time? 1 month or more?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isn't exactly what you asked but, if you are only playing one course at St Andrews, why have you chosen the Castle?

I'm not knocking it, but if you only have a chance to play one course then I'd recommend a more traditional St Andrews experience, ie the Old or New courses. Castle is fun but very very tricked up and a pretty ordinary piece of land.

You can hire Callaway clubs at St Andrews, they are always the latest equipment and cost about $50 a round.

If you are only playing a couple of times on your trip then I'd rent clubs as it will save you alot of hassle.

I'm not sure of how far in advance you need to book but the St Andrews Links website is pretty useful and you can book online.

Enjoy.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

I know this isn't exactly what you asked but, if you are only playing one course at St Andrews, why have you chosen the Castle?

I'm not knocking it, but if you only have a chance to play one course then I'd recommend a more traditional St Andrews experience, ie the Old or New courses. Castle is fun but very very tricked up and a pretty ordinary piece of land.

You can hire Callaway clubs at St Andrews, they are always the latest equipment and cost about $50 a round.

If you are only playing a couple of times on your trip then I'd rent clubs as it will save you alot of hassle.

I'm not sure of how far in advance you need to book but the St Andrews Links website is pretty useful and you can book online.

Enjoy.

I would love to play the old course but I don’t currently carry an official handicap. So from everything I have come across means the old course is out. We haven’t 100% settled on the castle course, it was just the course my brother in law thought looked good from the pics. If the new course or one of the others is more like the old course, I open to that. Having never done anything like this before, I don’t even know where to begin! Lol

As far as clubs go, it does look like renting is going to be far cheaper. So that is probably the route I will go.

If you want a walk up time on one of Scotland's greatest courses, look at Kingsbarns. You won't regret it.

For a single round it's going to be smarter to rent clubs. Auchterlonies or the various courses can sort this out for you.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

If the Old Course is ruled out, go with the New Course. It is next to the Old and a very similar experience, a proper links course.

Some other tips:

1, Make sure you have a drink in the Jigger Inn, a small pub just by the 17th hole

2, The Old Course is closed on a Sunday but you are free to walk it and take as many pictures as you want of you stood on the Swilcan bridge

3, West Sands Beach is an awesome place for a walk and to get rid of a hangover and do your best Chariots of Fire impression

4, Kingsbarns distillery is a great place to visit and do some tasting

5, Fish and chips is a local delicacy

Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

If you're staying right in St Andrews, I recommend either the New or the Jubilee Course. You can walk to the Links Clubhouse, where both of those start and end. You'll be playing essentially the same terrain as the Old Course. For two of you, you can reserve a tee time in advance at:

https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/new-course

You'll need to pay in advance. August is a busy time, so booking in advance is probably a good idea. Check the busy dates for the courses here:

https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates

Kingsbarns is a lovely course, and a great one, but for me the history of playing in St Andrews would tend to push me that way. Both the Old and Jubilee are over 100 years old, Kingsbarns hasn't been open for 20 years yet The Castle is a cliff-top course, as opposed to a true links, with beautiful views, but I've heard a lot of people say its kind of contrived. As a couple of others have said, you can rent clubs in St Andrews, either at Auchterlonies or from the St Andrews clubhouse.

Where will you be in Ireland? you can probably get some pretty good advice from the folks here on that part of your trip too.

1, Make sure you have a drink in the Jigger Inn, a small pub just by the 17th hole

I agree with everything @troublelove says. Others will highly recommend the Dunvegan, which certainly is the pub for foreign golfers while in St Andrews. My preferences, to get away from Americans, was the Cross Keys in Market Street, and the Whey Pat just outside the old city gate on South Street.

Just do your drinking somewhere they don't serve cold Bud Light.

Sadly, bad American beer is available almost everywhere there are American tourists. The more important choice is to NOT order Bud (or Coors or Miller) light beer, but rather to get something locally made, preferably hand-pumped, followed by a wee dram of good whisky.

Deuchars (pronounced Dookers) IPA is a good safe bet. Innis & Gunn if you are feeling brave and have things to forget. Luckie Ales is a good local beer if you can find it.

Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

Thanks to everybody for all the great ideas. I am not much of the drinker anymore. I have a hard time remembering my 20’s from all the alcohol that I consumed! Lol. However I will definitely have to have a couple local brews since this will probably be the only time I get over there.

As far as golfing, the only thing I am sure on is playing St. Andrews. So with that said, if you were only going to play 1 round and the old course was out, which would you choose and why?

I have never played a true links course before so I am intrigued to say the least.

^There is really not much in it between the New and Jubilee, they're equally fun courses. The Jubilee is the most Easterly of the courses and has some nice elevated tees to have some cool views you might not get on the New. You'll have a great time regardless, having closing holes back in the direction of the town is alway neat.

@davep043 - Seek out Harviestoun Brewery (Schiehallion, Bitter & Twisted being two excellent choices) pints. They're a Scottish brewery, so being closer it's easier to keep the beer in good nick

Green King would be the equivalent of Sam Adams here in the US

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

New or Jubilee, whichever works best for your schedule.

The good part is my schedule will be made around the round of golf.

What sets the new course or jubilee apart from the other courses?

The New and Jubilee are directly adjacent to the Old Course. They're both full-length, very challenging courses, both over 100 years old. They're true links, sitting on what was once a sandy wastelend, not usable for farming. The sandy soil and native grasses produce conditions unlike anything you can see in the US, even on so-called links-style courses. That's what makes them different from the Castle and Kingsbarns. Sometimes when you read about the Old Course, you'll hear about aiming at one of the church steeples in the town. On the New and Jubilee, those same steeples will sometimes be your aiming points. Basically, the New and Jubilee give you a chance to have the proper St Andrews experience without a handicap certificate, easier availability, and at a lower price tag than the Old Course.

If you have only one round to play in St Andrews you do not want to play the Castle.

If you can get on the Old Course go for it.

If you can afford Kingsbarns go for it

Booking up now, you could easily play New and Jubilee on the same day, and they are both really good course.

All of the above are a better experience than the Castle.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with the previous post and those that recommend the New or the Jube if you can’t do the Old. Then Kingsbarns, then the Castle.

I’d give the nod to the New. If you haven’t played the Old and thus don’t know the Course, I could put you somewhere on the New and tell you it was the Old, and except for the first and last couple holes, you wouldn’t know. It is a great links track. And being right next to the Old you get to soak in all that is the old grey toon and not waste travel time.

The first tee is right outside the clubhouse, and they’ll rent you good clubs right there. Bring your own balls. Soak it in.

you don't need an official "official" handicap card ... just get a headpro somewhere - someone you can know through a friend or something - to write a letter on official stationary saying you have X handicap ...

I know at one time the St Andrews website specifically required a handicap certificate, and specifically indicated that a letter of reference was no longer required nor accepted. Now the wording says "Make sure you bring your handicap certificate to the first tee and present it to the starter". If it was me, I wouldn't take the word of anyone here, I'd ask the question (via email) directly of the St Andrews Trust. There could be nothing worse than being turned down because you don't have the correct document.

you don't need an official "official" handicap card ... just get a headpro somewhere - someone you can know through a friend or something - to write a letter on official stationary saying you have X handicap ...

I know at one time the St Andrews website specifically required a handicap certificate, and specifically indicated that a letter of reference was no longer required nor accepted. Now the wording says "Make sure you bring your handicap certificate to the first tee and present it to the starter". If it was me, I wouldn't take the word of anyone here, I'd ask the question (via email) directly of the St Andrews Trust. There could be nothing worse than being turned down because you don't have the correct document.

agree ... i went ... 15 years ago? ... before they had a website, or before they did everything through the website ... my twosome had a letter ... think we'd asked around, but if they specifically say "no letters", then obviously you take a card ... wouldn't think it's too difficult to start a handicap card right now and get in the 15 or so rounds required for it ...

I just went back and looked at the entire thread, the OP has said he's definitely not playing the Old Course. In that case, there's no need to worry at all about the handicap, there's no requirement on any of the other courses we've talked about here.

I just went back and looked at the entire thread, the OP has said he's definitely not playing the Old Course. In that case, there's no need to worry at all about the handicap, there's no requirement on any of the other courses we've talked about here.

Yes the Old Course is out of the question unfortunately due to a few reasons that I won't get into. However we will be taking the all the advice and be playing the Jubilee and renting clubs. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and for your advice. It is much appreciated.

agree ... i went ... 15 years ago? ... before they had a website, or before they did everything through the website ... my twosome had a letter ... think we'd asked around, but if they specifically say "no letters", then obviously you take a card ... wouldn't think it's too difficult to start a handicap card right now and get in the 15 or so rounds required for it ...

Think you only need 5 to get one just starting out?