Jimmy Ballard

13 minutes ago, Ayersjj said:

spacer.png

Yeah, okay, so you don't actually have anything to offer outside of images of flamingos and Happy Gilmore. Got it.

P.S. The flamingos center their weight over that one leg/foot.

Edited by iacas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why do you keep posting old Aaron Baddeley photos?

Uhhhhh…

Sure they are. As noted earlier, even if only their arms moved back… they're loading right. Rory shifts his pelvis between 1 and 2" on the backswing, and his ribs about 2" during the backswing. Early, too.

I have 0 issues with saying Rory shifts off the ball. But it's only an inch. It's not what Jimmy taught. He wants all of the weight on the back foot and then use the back foot to push off. My point has been, they aren't doing that these days. 

Nobody on Tour plays from this position. 👇

EI2I3H3IP5LI.jpeg

1 hour ago, golfer07840 said:

You asked, here you go... And yes, pressure plates are involved. 

Here I go - what?  This video, including it’s title, exactly supports what I’ve said from the beginning.  No weight shift, no pressure shift.

You obviously do not have a good grasp of mechanical principles.  Here is the statement in your OP:

“Also, they don't actually shift "weight". They shift pressure. And yes there's a difference.”.   False.  

53 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

I have 0 issues with saying Rory shifts off the ball. But it's only an inch. It's not what Jimmy taught. He wants all of the weight on the back foot and then use the back foot to push off. My point has been, they aren't doing that these days. 

EI2I3H3IP5LI.jpeg

Yes, they aren’t doing Curtis Strange these days.  Got it.  So what?  We know this.  We have always known this.  

We do not want to swing like Rory.  We cannot swing like Rory.  Few people can.  We aren’t young enough or good enough.  The idea behind Ballard’s method is that it is a method that anybody of any age and talent level can do.  It is based on sound mechanical principles, from top to bottom, and I’ll argue that point with anybody. It is a weight shift oriented swing that makes the ball go far and straight and it does not destroy muscles and joints.  

Would you claim that anybody of any age or talent level can swing like Rory and have the ball go straight and far and not hurt the muscles and joints?  Do you not see what modern pros are doing to their backs and knees with their modern swing principles?  Do you not see what is happening to pros who wind their lower backs up like a coil spring?

Wake up friend.  Read the injury posts in this part of golfWRX.  How many of them do you think were caused by Ballard principles?  Let me answer for you.  Zero.  How many were caused by “modern” swing principles?  All.  Ballard’s principles fairly assure that any amateur can play this wonderful game for a lifetime, and play it well, without destroying their body. 

• Like 1

Not entirely sure what I stepped in here… I'm just talking about weight and pressure. I realize it's the Jimmy Ballard thread, so I'll take one more stab at it and may eject after that, as there seems to be a lot of "belief without a basis in fact" going on here.

8 hours ago, golfer07840 said:

I have 0 issues with saying Rory shifts off the ball. But it's only an inch.

An inch is enough to shift his weight more than you seem to think. Go stand on a pair of bathroom scales and move your body to the right 1.4 to 2". (Rory's pelvis goes back about 1.4", his chest about 2"). Heck, just moving your arms from centered to back can shift weight quite a bit. A noticeable amount.

8 hours ago, golfer07840 said:

Yeah, I never said they did, so I think you read me as being on the wrong side of this… The way I understand it, neither you nor @torbill have it right here. You both seem to have a nebulous view of what goes on with respect to weight and pressure.

But I jumped in here in the middle of something, so maybe I'm wrong and things you've said before clarify… or maybe you've both shifted to some extreme ends of the argument or something. I don't know.

6 hours ago, torbill said:

Here I go - what?  This video, including its title, exactly supports what I’ve said from the beginning.  No weight shift, no pressure shift.

I don't know what video you watched, but it definitely doesn't say that. It says the opposite of "no weight shift, no pressure shift." Sometimes in a big red rectangle at the bottom of the screen:

image.png.cfb010af4614a23aedfcbf9557ab0b14.png

“Also, they don't actually shift "weight". They shift pressure. And yes there's a difference.”.   False.  

There is a difference. Often by increasing pressure on the left, you move the weight to the right.

Weight and pressure are not the same.

(Pros shift weight and pressure, but they're not synonyms at all. That's why we have some guys measuring GRF more than 2x their mass.)

We do not want to swing like Rory.  We cannot swing like Rory.  Few people can.

Rory has really good flexibility (his shoulder turn is > 120° yet his face barely turns back — he's part owl, I think), but plenty of people can swing "like" Rory if you're asking people to:

• Shift a little right to start the backswing.
  • Spiral up from there.
  • Keep the right elbow pretty wide (65-69° of bend at the top).
  • Fall from the top pretty early to get forward.

Almost everyone can mimic Rory's pressure and weight shift stuff, especially, because there's nothing all that special about them. Scott Cowx has a pattern based on old Rory and I know of several people who are "in" that pattern.

The idea behind Ballard’s method is that it is a method that anybody of any age and talent level can do.  It is based on sound mechanical principles, from top to bottom, and I’ll argue that point with anybody. It is a weight shift oriented swing that makes the ball go far and straight and it does not destroy muscles and joints.

Good luck with that. I think turning is a lot faster than shifting weight a bunch, and more precise. Some shifting is good. Ballard level shifting… there's a reason it's passé.

I'm out on any "destroying the body" stuff. Rocco Mediate was a big Ballard guy… plenty of back issues. Thing is, you don't have the first clue why someone's back goes out or whatever. No golf swing that performs at a high level is "great" for your body, and people get injured in all walks of life doing all kinds of things. Genetics, that particular person's form, etc. all play a role. Tying it to the golf swing they use (when it's pretty easy to find counter-examples) is folly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, Ayersjj said:

Always fun  to see the “twisters”  come into town

How much did Curtis strange turn his hips and shoulders?

You get by it seems by being intentionally vague.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, torbill said:

Yes, they aren’t doing Curtis Strange these days.  Got it.  So what?  We know this.  We have always known this.  

We do not want to swing like Rory.  We cannot swing like Rory.  Few people can.  We aren’t young enough or good enough.  The idea behind Ballard’s method is that it is a method that anybody of any age and talent level can do.  It is based on sound mechanical principles, from top to bottom, and I’ll argue that point with anybody. It is a weight shift oriented swing that makes the ball go far and straight and it does not destroy muscles and joints.  

Would you claim that anybody of any age or talent level can swing like Rory and have the ball go straight and far and not hurt the muscles and joints?  Do you not see what modern pros are doing to their backs and knees with their modern swing principles?  Do you not see what is happening to pros who wind their lower backs up like a coil spring?

Wake up friend.  Read the injury posts in this part of golfWRX.  How many of them do you think were caused by Ballard principles?  Let me answer for you.  Zero.  How many were caused by “modern” swing principles?  All.  Ballard’s principles fairly assure that any amateur can play this wonderful game for a lifetime, and play it well, without destroying their body. 

I get what you are saying and I am quite sure that the Ballard swing works well for some folks.  I would argue the opposite is true for most though.  Shifting the head off the ball and shifting the weight through late like Jimmy recommends is imho a difficult thing to time.  At least I have found it to be difficult and I spent a number of years trying to do it.  I watched a lot of video of Jimmy and also read his book many times and worked hard to try to implement the swing and I never did very well with it.  I have found that Dr. Kwon's teaching of early weight shift with a more centered head position to be a better way for me to swing.     

• Like 1

I'm 70 now, and was a Ballard disciple/player for 30+ years; I've got a lot of posts on this thread, in fact.  I have his book, which is well-worn to say the least, and worked with a couple of Ballard instructors over the years.  As a former college tennis player, it was a great way for me to play golf, though I always felt like I had to practice A LOT to keep the timing necessary to play with the sort of weight shift I was using. 

It was a great way for me to play golf.  Until it wasn't.  About 4 years ago, things started to really go sideways, including my golf ball.  I worked HARD to try to fix it, including working with my long-time instructor, who had ALWAYS been able to fix me.  Nothing worked.  Finally, in late 2019, I abandoned ship and went to work with a top-shelf instructor on a more "conventional" golf swing, with really good results.  I'm more consistent than I ever was, and I've picked up distance as well, at an age when that doesn't really happen.

With all of that said, here's what I believe.  These are MY beliefs, based on MY experience, so there's no need to try to talk me out of them.

1. Forget the pros.  Like athletes in every sport that play on TV for a living, they just aren't like you and me.  And you can forget blaming their "method" for their health or injuries; they make so many swings so fast that what's happening to their bodies just isn't translatable to you or me.  Nobody ever looked smoother hitting a golf ball than Freddie Couples, and his back is a wreck. 

2. As for you and me, we don't get back injuries from good swings, regardless of which method we use.  Bad swings cause injuries to the lower back because players are having to use their lumbar spine in a way that it isn't designed for, and often it's because their hips lack the functional mobility to get out of the way so that the thoracic spine can do what it IS designed to do, which is rotate.  The alternative is to use the lower back to throw the upper body up and around and out of the way so the arms can swing thru, and that's a recipe for either slower swing speeds, or injury, or both.

3. IMO, the Ballard method is great IF you've got enough hand speed to time your swing to match the weight shift.  In my case, when I lost enough hand speed, I started hitting high blocks or low hooks, depending on what went wrong.  I'd have rounds where everything still worked, but those days became less and less frequent.  By mid-2019, they had almost disappeared.  (My loss of speed isn't a guess; my FASTEST driver swing speed at an early 2018 fitting was equal to my SLOWEST swing speed from four years earlier.  Granted, we're only talking about 4 mph, but in golf, that's enough.)  And just like a draw and a hook are first cousins, so are a weight shift and a sway, and if you sway AT ALL, you better have GREAT hands cause you're gonna need 'em.  Ballard of course doesn't teach a sway, but that danger is ALWAYS there, especially with shorter clubs.

4. The other big advantage of the Ballard method is that it isn't overly technical, and that's a good thing.  The mental pictures of "coiling into the right instep and knee", and "staying connected" on the thru swing, are easily understood, and similar to movements most know from other sports.  This isn't surprising because Ballard was teaching what Sam Byrd taught him, and Sam Byrd was an MLB player before he was a golf pro.  MLB hitters are coiled into their back foot while they wait for the pitch, and staying connected is like the throw a middle infielder makes after fielding a ground ball.  If you believe that golf is often over-taught, then Ballard can be a good place to go.

5.  At the end of a long period of using Ballard principles and working with Ballard instructors, I do believe that the downfall of the method is it's dependence on timing.  When I had fast hands, I played a running hook ALL THE TIME with my Ballard swing, but my hands aren't fast anymore.  Nowadays, I work on my body as much as I do my golf swing, if not more, so that my hips and shoulders work the way they are supposed to.  The hand speed ain't coming back, so there isn't much reason to worry about that anymore.

6. Lastly, I wouldn't try to talk anybody out of using the Ballard method OR the "modern" swing; the similarities are much greater than the differences anyway. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ayersjj said:

no twist

So how much does Curtis Strange turn his shoulders and his hips?

35 minutes ago, Ayersjj said:

You guys didnt come here looking for answers. I know what I know because of 35 years talking with Jimmy personally so whatever shiat you guys want to throw around is between each other.  If someone sincerely wants to learn the Ballard method its available. Quitters and twister advocates sounding off on a Ballard forum doesnt deserve an ounce of explanation.

“Whatever” 

exactly

So answer my question.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, bluedot said:

IMO, the Ballard method is great IF you've got enough hand speed to time your swing to match the weight shift.  In my case, when I lost enough hand speed, I started hitting high blocks or low hooks, depending on what went wrong.  I'd have rounds where everything still worked, but those days became less and less frequent

When peeps get disconnected they cant spring the shaft and it becomes hands focused. Thats what happened to Strange. 

Edited by Ayersjj
Curtis Strange

Yes

That didn't answer the question. But you knew that, because while you're willing to throw out how the swing will hurt your back… you ignore the fact that Rocco Mediate had one of the worst backs in golf. While you say "no twist" you ignore how much Curtis Strange turned his hips and shoulders. While you ignore the measurements we're able to make with tools that have advanced since the 1980s… well, there's not much more to that.

No need to reply. Your pattern is pretty clear at this point.

19 hours ago, iacas said:

That didn't answer the question. But you knew that, because while you're willing to throw out how the swing will hurt your back… you ignore the fact that Rocco Mediate had one of the worst backs in golf. While you say "no twist" you ignore how much Curtis Strange turned his hips and shoulders. While you ignore the measurements we're able to make with tools that have advanced since the 1980s… well, there's not much more to that.

No need to reply. Your pattern is pretty clear at this point.

You have no interest but to trash the Ballard Method. 

Edited by Ayersjj

Go measure your tool and get off the forum.  Everyone else is here to read about Ballard, not your nonsense.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

You have no interest but to trash the Ballard Method.

Where have I done that?

Why would anyone in their right mind discuss with you and your multiple identities.

I'm not sure where you're getting that. I've been the same guy, typically with the same username, for over 30 years. I don't do "burners" or multiple accounts. I've got one account here.

There are plenty of twist swing forums for you to choose from to collaborate.

Curtis Strange turns his hips and his shoulders. Yes? At best, Ballard's method would be described as a bigger shift paired with a turn. No?

Ballard forum and if you expect some twist swing theory  to be adopted you are fooling yourself. You cant let go that Curtis was twisty therefore Ballard liked it. Wrong again. 

I "can't let go" of the fact that Curtis Strange turned his hips and shoulders?

Okey dokey, pal.

4 minutes ago, Ayersjj said:

Folks like yourself come and go Pal. If you came  here with good intentions it would have been a different story. Dont let the door hit you in the a**. 

Where were my bad intentions? Where did I "trash" the Ballard method? I disagreed with some statements you made and shared some facts that I know. You found them… "inconvenient" perhaps?

You seem to like to make things up, not answer questions posed to you, and ignore facts.

That trifecta lands you on my ignore list. It's unlikely you'll get a response from me again, as I'll be ignoring your posts henceforth. You don't seem interested in learning anything.

Take care, buddy.

Edited by iacas

On 4/24/2023 at 7:03 PM, ggpro said:

Have been to a ton of teaching seminars and no one has explained how to me how you get pressure w/o weight

Your head and torso have a lot of mass.

If you stand with your legs apart, you can tilt your body left and feel most of your weight over your left foot.

Now, stay in that posture and push down on your right foot. Your muscles are adding pressure to your right foot, but you didn’t move your weight to the right.

I hope that helps to understand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

9 hours ago, bluedot said:

I'm 70 now, and was a Ballard disciple/player for 30+ years; I've got a lot of posts on this thread, in fact.  I have his book, which is well-worn to say the least, and worked with a couple of Ballard instructors over the years.  As a former college tennis player, it was a great way for me to play golf, though I always felt like I had to practice A LOT to keep the timing necessary to play with the sort of weight shift I was using. 

It was a great way for me to play golf.  Until it wasn't.  About 4 years ago, things started to really go sideways, including my golf ball.  I worked HARD to try to fix it, including working with my long-time instructor, who had ALWAYS been able to fix me.  Nothing worked.  Finally, in late 2019, I abandoned ship and went to work with a top-shelf instructor on a more "conventional" golf swing, with really good results.  I'm more consistent than I ever was, and I've picked up distance as well, at an age when that doesn't really happen.

With all of that said, here's what I believe.  These are MY beliefs, based on MY experience, so there's no need to try to talk me out of them.

1. Forget the pros.  Like athletes in every sport that play on TV for a living, they just aren't like you and me.  And you can forget blaming their "method" for their health or injuries; they make so many swings so fast that what's happening to their bodies just isn't translatable to you or me.  Nobody ever looked smoother hitting a golf ball than Freddie Couples, and his back is a wreck. 

2. As for you and me, we don't get back injuries from good swings, regardless of which method we use.  Bad swings cause injuries to the lower back because players are having to use their lumbar spine in a way that it isn't designed for, and often it's because their hips lack the functional mobility to get out of the way so that the thoracic spine can do what it IS designed to do, which is rotate.  The alternative is to use the lower back to throw the upper body up and around and out of the way so the arms can swing thru, and that's a recipe for either slower swing speeds, or injury, or both.

3. IMO, the Ballard method is great IF you've got enough hand speed to time your swing to match the weight shift.  In my case, when I lost enough hand speed, I started hitting high blocks or low hooks, depending on what went wrong.  I'd have rounds where everything still worked, but those days became less and less frequent.  By mid-2019, they had almost disappeared.  (My loss of speed isn't a guess; my FASTEST driver swing speed at an early 2018 fitting was equal to my SLOWEST swing speed from four years earlier.  Granted, we're only talking about 4 mph, but in golf, that's enough.)  And just like a draw and a hook are first cousins, so are a weight shift and a sway, and if you sway AT ALL, you better have GREAT hands cause you're gonna need 'em.  Ballard of course doesn't teach a sway, but that danger is ALWAYS there, especially with shorter clubs.

4. The other big advantage of the Ballard method is that it isn't overly technical, and that's a good thing.  The mental pictures of "coiling into the right instep and knee", and "staying connected" on the thru swing, are easily understood, and similar to movements most know from other sports.  This isn't surprising because Ballard was teaching what Sam Byrd taught him, and Sam Byrd was an MLB player before he was a golf pro.  MLB hitters are coiled into their back foot while they wait for the pitch, and staying connected is like the throw a middle infielder makes after fielding a ground ball.  If you believe that golf is often over-taught, then Ballard can be a good place to go.

5.  At the end of a long period of using Ballard principles and working with Ballard instructors, I do believe that the downfall of the method is it's dependence on timing.  When I had fast hands, I played a running hook ALL THE TIME with my Ballard swing, but my hands aren't fast anymore.  Nowadays, I work on my body as much as I do my golf swing, if not more, so that my hips and shoulders work the way they are supposed to.  The hand speed ain't coming back, so there isn't much reason to worry about that anymore.

6. Lastly, I wouldn't try to talk anybody out of using the Ballard method OR the "modern" swing; the similarities are much greater than the differences anyway. 

Hey bluedot, long time no see.

So you described what’s been going on with the evolution of your swing.  Here’s my tale.  I’ll be 79 in two weeks - I woke up one day and I was old.  Some friends my age have left the game and some have left more than the game.  I must have picked a pretty good mother because my body may be getting sore with arthritis, and I’m nowhere as strong as I used to be, but I seem to be way more flexible than my friends. I still use Ballard’s principles (fiddling with a couple of small deviations).  My handicap sits at 8 and I still drive the ball plenty far to play at scratch on the 6200 yard courses that we play, if that’s all there was to it. But it isn’t, and the rest of my game pretty much sucks.  And it’s frustrating, because if I can put it out there far enough to hit greens consistently I should be able to score better.  Part is a lack of mental focus over the course of 18 holes - disaster holes and bogey strings suggest this.  Another part is that I am entirely self-taught, unlike you, and I love to go to the range and dig it out of the dirt on my own, when I should be working on my short game.  So it goes…

I agree with your notion that in the end we are swinging a golf club and there are certain principles that are common to any successful method; there’s more similarities than differences.  I like your comment about Ballard’s lack of technical detail.  I’m technically inclined, but to me a golf swing is about a continuous, natural athletic motion and not about detailed positions and complex analysis.  I find Ballard easy to think about (and not easy to do well).  

Rightly or wrongly, I have a different view on how swings affect backs, based on my personal experience.  I used to use a lot more hard rotation back in the x-factor years and eventually I developed a back spasm that put me out of the game for an entire year.  Then I had the same experience as Mediate - went to Ballard’s method (along with a home exercise routine) and I haven’t missed a round of golf due to a sore back in a very long time.  Of course I can’t prove causality.  But I’ve read enough opinions by sports medicine experts to make me believe that heavy shear and compression stresses on the lumbar spine are not a good thing, and I got a lot more of both before I went to Ballard principles.  I use quite a lot of rotation, but my rotation is more unrestricted, along the lines of Phil, Jack, etc.  Some Ballard critics say that he teaches restricted hip rotation but I’ve never seen that from him anywhere.  

My interpretation of Ballard’s method is different from yours when it comes to hands and timing.  I have his book but haven’t worn it out like you.  I’ve picked up his principles mostly from his videos, and I can’t remember ever viewing anything from him that emphasized hand action and timing.  Also, I remember the video that was up on Youtube for a few weeks - it was the old debate between Ballard and Flick, where Flick argued in favor of hands and arms and Ballard forcefully argued the opposite.  Ballard used to sell a training glove that, from what I can tell, essentially immobilized the left wrist in the backswing, along the lines of what we see with Stricker (made for right handers and I’m not that, so I have no experience with it).  Maybe you can say a few words about your understanding of Ballard’s use of hands and sensitivity to timing, because I’m not connecting with you on this point.

• Like 1

i have some thoughts that I will throw out there LOL.  I believe that Dr. Wright and Mike Adams are correct in that different people do better with different swing mechanics.  Both of those have systems for determining a person's best swing pattern.  The systems may not be perfect but they probably arrive at a better swing pattern for most individuals then a strict method will.  I have tried a long list of methods and all of them work for someone LOL.  Often not very well for me which happened to be the case with the Ballard seven common denominators. 

Over the years I have run into a lot of folks who believe in the swing system that they use to the point that they believe that it is the only correct way to swing and everyone else is wrong.  Could be Stack and Tilt or Milo Lines or Simple Swing, I could go on for a while but I will spare you!  

So, in the end the only disagreement I have with any staunch method golfer is when that golfer tells me that I should be using their method. 

Okay, that's what I think and hopefully I can bow out now and leave this thread to those who wish to discuss the details of the Seven Common Denominators.

• Like 2

The English language is a mystery, and with golf in particular it has caused confusion and error.

As for weight transfer, i understand what a lot of people mean, but it doesn't happen.

If you lift your left leg off the ground completely, you have not transferred weight to your right leg.

Your right leg is just supporting the whole weight now. The weight of the left leg is still there hanging mid air.

Whatever that left leg weighed eg: 35lbs, it's still there, it has not gone over to the right side.

All that has happened is the right side feels more pressure in holding up the weight of the whole body now.

The English language is limited. Pressure shift, yes. Actual weight transfer, no. 

• Like 1