Moving to Bay Area - Thinking of joining TPC Stonebrae

leric90

Hey all, I'm planning on moving to the bay area (obviously to play golf all year long) and looking to join a club.

I'm not too familiar with the numerous clubs in the area but was targeting Stonebrae because of the challenging course design/layout and nice practice facilities. Also the membership initiation fee isn't too bad (under 20k)

If you've played at TPC Stonebrae or even have any suggestions to other clubs, I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

about five years ago played Stonebrae, Berkeley CC (formerly Mira Vista), & Ruby Hill in that area.

Berkeley is a traditional parkland course, & has gentle elevation changes with smallish greens.

Ruby Hill is set in a housing development & is okay (except for the excessively difficult par 3 fourteenth hole).

Did not care for Stonebrae mostly due to the topography. It's built on the side of a steep hill in a windy area & walking was not recommended.

If I had to choose between these three clubs, I'd pick Berkeley because its walkable, the vibe was low key & the course decent.

(Generally, the best course that I played in the San Francisco / Oakland area was the California Golf Club of San Francisco, but that's on the other side near SFO.)

about five years ago played Stonebrae, Berkeley CC (formerly Mira Vista), & Ruby Hill in that area.

Berkeley is a traditional parkland course, & has gentle elevation changes with smallish greens.

Ruby Hill is set in a housing development & is okay (except for the excessively difficult par 3 fourteenth hole).

Did not care for Stonebrae mostly due to the topography. It's built on the side of a steep hill in a windy area & walking was not recommended.

If I had to choose between these three clubs, I'd pick Berkeley because its walkable, the vibe was low key & the course decent.

(Generally, the best course that I played in the San Francisco / Oakland area was the California Golf Club of San Francisco, but that's on the other side near SFO.)

Thank you for responding! I'm assuming the Cal Club or even Lake Merced is quite pricey?

I've played all those courses listed several times. Mira Vista and Green Hills are shorter courses tree lined with lots of side hills and tiny greens...my least favorite. Ruby is probably the best in the East bay that's playable daily for me, has more open feel with not many trees. Stonebrae much bigger course as far as layout, very windy and playable daily as well. Cal has the best greens in the Bay Area, windy and open with some tree lined. It's very old school. Merced is nice but has a lot of members.

Bay Area has so many nice courses from Monterey to SF that you may want to wait and play all the publics. Many publics have annual memberships...Cinnabar is one of my favs.

Taylormade Qi10 9* Driver Ventus Blue 6S

Ping 18* G430 Hybrid Chrome 85S

Adams 21* DHY Fuji 904 HB

Srixon MKii ZX5 5-PW Steelfiber i95S

Callaway 50/58 Jaws Raw DG S300

Odyssey WHP #9

I have a buddy who has a membership there so got an invite a couple years ago. The course is goofy. Very contrived and not a course I'd love to be a member of. The views are nice, some holes are nice but overall it's way too funky and to hear that they are hurting doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I did witness my buddy get a hole-in-one that day so that was cool though.

Hey all, I'm planning on moving to the bay area (obviously to play golf all year long) and looking to join a club.

I'm not too familiar with the numerous clubs in the area but was targeting Stonebrae because of the challenging course design/layout and nice practice facilities. Also the membership initiation fee isn't too bad (under 20k)

If you've played at TPC Stonebrae or even have any suggestions to other clubs, I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Have you given any thought to where you will be working and how long your commute will be? With that info we might be able to provide better advice on what courses might be good options.

Have you given any thought to where you will be working and how long your commute will be? With that info we might be able to provide better advice on what courses might be good options.

Yes, thanks for asking! :) I trade for a living and have a little bit saved up. The goal is to really focus on only golf for 2-3 years and see if I can play some good golf.

Location doesn't matter too much except I would love to be in the bay area because many of my friends and support live there.

With that, I guess the most important things in terms of facilities are good training facilities, practice facilities and good greens. I'm from the Chicago area and it seems like golf in the bay is quite different.

My buddy is a member at Stonebrae. I hear they are hurting bad for members and losing a lot of money. They've been cutting back amenities and have talked about increasing the dues.

Oh wow, thats not good. Do you know which amenities they are cutting back on? Thank you for responding!

I have a buddy who has a membership there so got an invite a couple years ago. The course is goofy. Very contrived and not a course I'd love to be a member of. The views are nice, some holes are nice but overall it's way too funky and to hear that they are hurting doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I did witness my buddy get a hole-in-one that day so that was cool though.

ahhh do you think it may not live up to other TPC courses? I was really hoping it would be a good fit as a difficult track.

I have several friends in the SF area and they both play as guests a couple times a year and like the course. They appreciate its uniqueness and certainly is challenging. Imo location for joining is key in urban environments and if it is close to work or home it sounds like a nice club to join. I trust my friends opinion as one was thinking of joining before moving.

Yes, thanks for asking! :) I trade for a living and have a little bit saved up. The goal is to really focus on only golf for 2-3 years and see if I can play some good golf.

Location doesn't matter too much except I would love to be in the bay area because many of my friends and support live there.

With that, I guess the most important things in terms of facilities are good training facilities, practice facilities and good greens. I'm from the Chicago area and it seems like golf in the bay is quite different.

My buddy is a member at Stonebrae. I hear they are hurting bad for members and losing a lot of money. They've been cutting back amenities and have talked about increasing the dues.

Oh wow, thats not good. Do you know which amenities they are cutting back on? Thank you for responding!

Does climate matter? It's cooler on the peninsula but also gets a bit foggy in certain parts at certain times. It's warmer in East Bay and gets hotter as you go east. If you are targeting East Bay (just going off your question about TPC Stonebrae), you have a lot of public options around there too, and you don't need to pay an initiation fee right off the bat.

Fully agree that you should consider where you are going to live first. Traffic is awful. I've lived in Chicago and bay area. Bay area is way worse.

That aside, i loved TPC the one time i played it. It can get windy pretty regularly, so if you don't like that, maybe pass.

I was a member at contra Costa country club. Course tee to green not as challenging, but i found the course very fun. Very good, not great practice facilities. If you prefer a walking course, this is a great place. Most people walk. The next tee is very close to the next tee. They are also part of troon prive which gets you access to 5 other clubs or so within an hour for cart fee only. One club is Silverado up in Napa.

I don't remember. He was just grousing to me while we were playing. I was probably more focused on golf! He did say they were planning on putting up more housing around the course and something about the clubhouse / gym? And members protesting a due increase. All very vague now. This was a few months ago.

I do like the course though. Way better than TPC Valencia near LA. But that said, the Bridges in San Ramon and Poppy Ridge also have a similar feel -- they're public and you can get on for like $40.

I don't remember. He was just grousing to me while we were playing. I was probably more focused on golf! He did say they were planning on putting up more housing around the course and something about the clubhouse / gym? And members protesting a due increase. All very vague now. This was a few months ago.

I do like the course though. Way better than TPC Valencia near LA. But that said, the Bridges in San Ramon and Poppy Ridge also have a similar feel -- they're public and you can get on for like $40.

oh wow, thanks for responding! i'll have to ask the membership director a bit more of what might be going on

Lake Merced is a traditional layout. The topography is rolling and the course is tree lined with difficult greens. It's a solid golf course and the USGA has chosen Lake Merced to host us open sectional qualifying multiple times over the past several years. That being said, your going to be in a different price range when choosing a club in this area. Lake Merced Golf Club, Olympic Club, and San Francisco Golf Club all surround Lake Merced. You can forget about the Olympic and San Francisco as the waiting time will most likely be longer than what your looking for and the process will be very difficult. Your still looking at six figures at Lake Merced unless it's changed in the last few years. Cal Club is a great place and a fantastic golf course but your initiation is going to be significant there as well.

Lake Merced is a traditional layout. The topography is rolling and the course is tree lined with difficult greens. It's a solid golf course and the USGA has chosen Lake Merced to host us open sectional qualifying multiple times over the past several years. That being said, your going to be in a different price range when choosing a club in this area. Lake Merced Golf Club, Olympic Club, and San Francisco Golf Club all surround Lake Merced. You can forget about the Olympic and San Francisco as the waiting time will most likely be longer than what your looking for and the process will be very difficult. Your still looking at six figures at Lake Merced unless it's changed in the last few years. Cal Club is a great place and a fantastic golf course but your initiation is going to be significant there as well.

Thanks! I def agree that olympic/cal are out of budget for now. I would qualify as a young associate which is about 10k initiation and about 450/month in dues. Do you know how Lake Merced's practice facilities and greens are? Thank you :)

The driving range is mediocre at Lake Merced and the putting green is ok. The land in the Bay area is so expensive, it's difficult to rationalize a large practice facility. The golf course is very good tho and should help improve your game. I think it depends on what your goal is? Are you trying to give professional golf a go or are you just trying to improve and play a bunch of golf? I personally would join Lake Merced over the others that have been mentioned as I think it's a better course with a membership that could really help with your business going forward.

It sounds like you want a mix of good practice facilities, easy access to the course and don't really care for location. Easy access to the course and sub-5 hour rounds disqualifies most public courses. Some public courses have decent practice areas for an annual fee, though. A lot of the older private courses lack good practice facilities and ranges where you can hit 200+ yard shots. It sounds like Richmond CC might be a good choice for you. Great driving range, good practice area and decent course. If you chose to reside somewhat close, it's with Bay Area standards an affordable area to live in too. You could also live somewhere in eastern Marin County and take the bridge over to the course.

Did the renovation work at Mira Vista now Berkeley CC not necessarily resolve some of the negatives listed here?

I looked at some write-up's on the renovation and it seemed pretty awesome.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

in the north bay Meadow Club is a great course. Its in Fairfax which is in the north bay near San Rafael. Weather is great, not sure how much initiation is. My buddy worked there 20 years ago and I got to play it quite a bit but that was a long time ago. I remember him saying there are some celebrities out there , Huey Lewis comes to mind. That tells me it might be pricey.

It sounds like you want a mix of good practice facilities, easy access to the course and don't really care for location. Easy access to the course and sub-5 hour rounds disqualifies most public courses. Some public courses have decent practice areas for an annual fee, though. A lot of the older private courses lack good practice facilities and ranges where you can hit 200+ yard shots. It sounds like Richmond CC might be a good choice for you. Great driving range, good practice area and decent course. If you chose to reside somewhat close, it's with Bay Area standards an affordable area to live in too. You could also live somewhere in eastern Marin County and take the bridge over to the course.

It sounds like Richmond is a great choice in terms of practice and facilities but the course seems a bit short?

You can forget about Richmond CC; just heard its being sold for development on the property.

Meadow Club is fantastic, a MacKenzie original; gorgeous layout and amazing condition, every weed seems to have been raked. Great practice facilities as well. Members are very nice and welcoming; I am what you would call the maximum guest plan due to my friend for past 8 years. I am not a member anywhere but I know this course better than anything. If you can get in there, do it. Not extremely long but just a great experience. I believe initial fee is about $60-75k and wait is not short.

Climates vary greatly throughout the Bay Area (we call them micro-climates); Berkeley CC is probably going to avg. 68 in summer (I lived 5 mins away for 10 years); Contra Costa CC is going to avg. 85 (I live 15 mins away now). CCCC is very nice condition; walkable, not too tricky but nothing memorable IMHO. On Peninsula (Lake Merced,etc.) is going to avg. 65-68 as well. San Jose is more like 85-90 avg in summer (great spot to launch to Monterey area too (Pebble, Spyglass, Bayonet, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills).