TaylorMade 790 OR JPX900 Forged

NikeSwoosh13

Ok fellas I'm currently gaming the Titleist 716 TMB irons and i do hit them quite well but I'm wanting something a little more forgiving and extra distance. I've read and watched 100 reviews and the two irons I've listed in this thread is what I have narrowed it down too. I'm going to hit them h2h when I get back from Vegas (If i lose all my money) but I was wanting to get some input on those who have hit them or are currently gaming them. Thanks a lot!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the JPX 900 Forged and they are LOOONG. Especially the 4-7 irons. However I do not think they are any more forgiving than any other forged players iron. However, mishits do not lose that much distance with them. I have surprised myself several times when I knew I did not hit is square and it still traveled to the green.

I do not have any experience with the P790s but the soles are a little to wide for my liking and they are a little on the high side for price.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

I just got a set of the P790s for my birthday. Got them with Nippon 950’s, All the reviews say they’re great. Forgiving. Feel. Etc.

After 1 week. I don’t like them. I just can’t get over the “sound”. I don’t have a fast swing, but I am a decent ball striker. It might be the combination of a slower swing speed (75mph) and hollow head or something. But I don’t enjoy hearing them. I’m going to replace them with a non hollow head iron set. It’s just not for me.

My son just demo’d both. He like the p790’s better, but, Mizunos tend to hold their values better and he hit both about same carry/total distance. The p790 launched a bit higher and sounded “hollow.”

Both are nice looking, but, if I’m paying for forging I want the entire blade to be forged...not welded into a cast body. Ended up ordering the JPX900F, with 54/58 in S18 wedges, as his first adult irons.

My son just demo’d both. He like the p790’s better, but, Mizunos tend to hold their values better and he hit both about same carry/total distance. The p790 launched a bit higher and sounded “hollow.”

Both are nice looking, but, if I’m paying for forging I want the entire blade to be forged...not welded into a cast body. Ended up ordering the JPX900F, with 54/58 in S18 wedges, as his first adult irons.

Very nice gift dad!!

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

Ok fellas I'm currently gaming the Titleist 716 TMB irons and i do hit them quite well but I'm wanting something a little more forgiving and extra distance. I've read and watched 100 reviews and the two irons I've listed in this thread is what I have narrowed it down too. I'm going to hit them h2h when I get back from Vegas (If i lose all my money) but I was wanting to get some input on those who have hit them or are currently gaming them. Thanks a lot!

I just had a club champion fitting and the 790 was the only playerish type iron that was longer then the JPX 900 for me. Only by about a 2-3 yards. I wasn't crazy about the feel on centered shots tho. The Mizuno was much better. Im sticking with my JPXs.

I just had a club champion fitting and the 790 was the only playerish type iron that was longer then the JPX 900 for me. Only by about a 2-3 yards. I wasn't crazy about the feel on centered shots tho. The Mizuno was much better. Im sticking with my JPXs.

If it's only 2-3 yards difference then I will probably save the extra money and grab the 900F as well. I just went by golf galaxy on my lunch break and hit a 7i 790 KBS shaft and it felt great. Carried it around 157-160 which is about 8 yards farther than my Titleist 716 TMBs. Spin was around 7000, ready to get a proper fitting at golf galaxy next week though.

Just demo them and decide for yourself. People who own each are going to be biased. For example... I've hit the 900Fs and didn't find them to be very soft for a forged head, at least not compared to my old MP54s. I now game 790s and I absolutely love them. Don't find them to feel or sound hollow at all. Feels very solid. Not forged blade soft but for what they lack in feel they make up for in forgiveness.

Don't let us influence your decision. It's your game... your money.

Great topic OP! I'm in the same boat looking at a few sets and JPX 900 F are at the top of my list. I don't know why but the ball really seemed to jump off the face when I hit them at the range the other day. Also noticed I was swinging the 5.5 Project X LZ's and the control and accuracy were spot on despite them being half a flex weaker than my usual irons. I think there's something to the sole grind that just flat out works for my swing. Going to go ahead and place my order this week so I'll get them next week while the boss is out of town on business trips!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

... I have been reviewing clubs for years now and have played too many iron sets to list. Blades and then forged CB's and finally multi material players irons. I had a love affair with the Amp Forged/FlyZ+/Forged Tours but was always looking for something a little more forgiving, especially the long irons. The P790's are the very first iron in all the years I have reviewed clubs that just blew me away. They look great at address, they are long and consistent, they feel as good as any iron I have hit (although they do not have that dense feel a solid forged CB) but most importantly for me, they are the most forgiving players irons I have ever hit and by a wide margin. Iron play is the cornerstone of my game and like many I sometimes struggled with my long irons. The P790's changed that and I love hitting my long irons now. I challenged a + index for years but could never quite get past a scratch index... until I put the P790's in my bag.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

My son just demo'd both. He like the p790's better, but, Mizunos tend to hold their values better and he hit both about same carry/total distance. The p790 launched a bit higher and sounded "hollow."

Both are nice looking, but, if I'm paying for forging I want the entire blade to be forged...not welded into a cast body. Ended up ordering the JPX900F, with 54/58 in S18 wedges, as his first adult irons.

Same here. One piece forging or it's not "forged", in my book. I find it disingenuous when a manufacturer stamps "FORGED" on an iron where only the face is forged.

Just demo them and decide for yourself. People who own each are going to be biased. For example... I've hit the 900Fs and didn't find them to be very soft for a forged head, at least not compared to my old MP54s. I now game 790s and I absolutely love them. Don't find them to feel or sound hollow at all. Feels very solid. Not forged blade soft but for what they lack in feel they make up for in forgiveness.

Don't let us influence your decision. It's your game... your money.

I game the P790s and do not find them to “sound hollow” on the course, but if you are hitting range rocks then I could see where they don’t sound as good as when you hit a quality golf ball.

... Does anyone really believe when an iron head is multi material with a forged face, you can feel a difference in the body that never touches a ball? I would be willing to bet a years salary nobody could tell a difference between a cast or forged body in a multi material iron with a forged face.

Don't play the 900F, but game the 900 Tour and cant see myself playing anything else.

My buddy has the 790's and loves them, but as most have said, when I hit them I found they lacked a lot of feel. Launched high and far, just didn't have that satisfying smoosh.

I hit the 900F, and they had similar launch characteristics to the 790, but just felt better off the face.

Go whack em and see which ones tickle your fancy!

There was a tm demo day Sat and I tested p790 vs my 716 tmb with same shaft. Saw about a half club longer for 790 but it’s also a half club loft stronger.

At the end the fitter said he wouldn’t change if he were me....

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I have the 790s and the MP18SC ... MPs feel is the best there is, bar none. *I assume JPXs feel similar to MPs.

790s are very good irons, somehow a little more forgiving than the MPs. Good feel. good looks. good all rounder

MPs are extraordinary on every aspect... feels, looks,

MPs are making me play better, because good strikes are addictive and bad ones are punishing (on the feel side). I usually practice MPs and play 790s ... I've been playing for only 3 years and still improving.

MPs are traditional lofted; sacrifing some distance, but gaining distance consistency.

Distances ..... Based on std loft, JPX900F vs 790:

4 iron is same 21º

5i 24º vs 23.5º

6i 27º vs 26.5º

7i 31º vs 30.5º

8i to PW both have same loft.

... Does anyone really believe when an iron head is multi material with a forged face, you can feel a difference in the body that never touches a ball? I would be willing to bet a years salary nobody could tell a difference between a cast or forged body in a multi material iron with a forged face.

I dont clearly understand your bet ... but I cant tell, there is a difference in feel between the Mizuno and the 790s. None are bad, only that Mizuno's are really, really addictive when you strike them good.

Ok, now it's a coin flip, I hate golf lol.

I'll probably get the 900F and be right back on here this fall with a new post saying 900F vs 950F, just take my paycheck now...

:taunt:

this is golfwrx .... he should get 900F now for a discounted price. Then get 950s when they are available, sell 900's and get 790's

2 sets at least are recommended... isnt it so?

I have the 790s and the MP18SC ... MPs feel is the best there is, bar none. *I assume JPXs feel similar to MPs.

790s are very good irons, somehow a little more forgiving than the MPs. Good feel. good looks. good all rounder

MPs are extraordinary on every aspect... feels, looks,

MPs are making me play better, because good strikes are addictive and bad ones are punishing (on the feel side). I usually practice MPs and play 790s ... I've been playing for only 3 years and still improving.

MPs are traditional lofted; sacrifing some distance, but gaining distance consistency.

Distances ..... Based on std loft, JPX900F vs 790:

4 iron is same 21º

5i 24º vs 23.5º

6i 27º vs 26.5º

7i 31º vs 30.5º

8i to PW both have same loft.

Have 790s and mp 18 as well! Couldn't agree with your post more. I love the mp 18sc, but can't bring myself to list my 790s on the bst! I spend hours at the range hitting both! Wish I could make a dang decision!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

I have the JPX900 Forged, they are long. Seriously long. To address the gaping issues that this created, I had each iron bent 1 degree week. Without this, I would have had a 20 yard gap in my scoring clubs. I have C Taper 130g low launch, low spin shafts, this corrected the ball flight.

Clubs are great, and have the characteristic Mizuno feel. I previously played the MP-69 irons. I too, wanted a little more forgiveness.

I dont clearly understand your bet ... but I cant tell, there is a difference in feel between the Mizuno and the 790s. None are bad, only that Mizuno's are really, really addictive when you strike them good.

... If you take two identical multi material heads with a forged face but one has a forged body and the other a cast body, nobody would be able to tell the difference.