2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Ball wise, I think one thing we can all agree on is that their quantity should never be referred to by the term "duzz".

I didn't like it at first, but duzz is pure Domes genius. I just didn't realize it at first. It's not quite the instant hit "range beans" was, but it's got staying power. It's a staple of the thread lexicon now. You can't kill it, Sully.

I'm slowly annoying my way into the hearts of threadziens with smooch.

Another long time favorite of guys I played in high school with that I intend to bring into the fold: Chunk->Lump.

"You lumped that one."

"I caught it a bit lumpy."

"I can't get rid of these damn lumps today."

I learned from City yesterday that I was so blinded by Phil saying "side sauce" that I missed another gem he dropped. He apparently talked about getting a putt on "the glide slope" at some point. I take that to mean getting a down hill putt coming down the fall line. I like it.

I think there would be big money at Rock Creek by making it a smaller course and putting in a driving range.

I love this idea. Every time this new vendor contract discussion comes up in real life, I cite the SullGolf Rock Creek Renovation Design Plan. SGRCRDP.

My wife has gone to play the white course and red course with her friends. I see lots of little kids with their dads on the red course. The range is 100 stalls and during the summer after work you have to wait sometimes. The putting greens are usually in good shape. They run tons of first tee camps and lessons. And if you tee off on the blue course after the first 3 or 4 tee times in prime season (basically, if you tee off after the sun rises), you're looking at a 5 hour round on the easiest golf course in the area.

This is the sign on the front putting green at EPP.

The Snell MTB seems like a great deal at $25/duzz on the 6-packs. I've never played it, but I assume it's just as good as anything in the premium ball range.

Between the competition among major OEMs, and all the small direct to consumer offerings, there's really no reason to be paying full price for any golf ball. Even Titleist, the most price protected offering out there, does buy 3 get 1 duzz free in the spring.

I wonder what percentage of the EPP customer base gives two $hits about the place changing at all. Would dumping money into a restoration and raising the rates basically be the golf equivalent of gentrification?

The MTB Black plays as close to the 2017 Pro V1 as I've seen. Hated the Red but the Black is outstanding. Only thing I don't like about the Snell balls is that they seem a little finnicky with Sharpie marks. I was going to buy a few dozen until I saw the Z-Star prices on Amazon.

I just saw z-stars at discount golf at like $8.50 for 6. IOW, about $17/duzzie.

I think a lot of them are running similar deals. Q was discussing Stones-330 for $25 a derzen at TGW, but they're the same at other places I've looked.

Stock up now guys.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

re: epp; serious earthmoving would be necessary to do anything worthwhile. Converting the white into an even more family friendly course and the blue into a bethpage blueish course would be great.

the big challenge is that it is slowly being reabsorbed into the potomac. there is a pretty cool (engineering cool - so not that cool) system that helps the peninsula "float."

I enjoy a morning 9 out there every now and then, and would kill for it to be slightly better.

a new range structure would be great as well, as i feel like death is imminent at all times due to collapse, wasp attacks, heat stroke, or errant balls / clubs.

The Snell MTB seems like a great deal at $25/duzz on the 6-packs. I've never played it, but I assume it's just as good as anything in the premium ball range.

Between the competition among major OEMs, and all the small direct to consumer offerings, there's really no reason to be paying full price for any golf ball. Even Titleist, the most price protected offering out there, does buy 3 get 1 duzz free in the spring.

I wonder what percentage of the EPP customer base gives two $hits about the place changing at all. Would dumping money into a restoration and raising the rates basically be the golf equivalent of gentrification?

The MTB Black plays as close to the 2017 Pro V1 as I've seen. Hated the Red but the Black is outstanding. Only thing I don't like about the Snell balls is that they seem a little finnicky with Sharpie marks. I was going to buy a few dozen until I saw the Z-Star prices on Amazon.

I think a lot of them are running similar deals. Q was discussing Stones-330 for $25 a derzen at TGW, but they're the same at other places I've looked.

Stock up now guys.

Discount Golf online? Tried and looks like limit 2 per customer + shipping :(

Stock up now guys.

Discount Golf online? Tried and looks like limit 2 per customer + shipping :(

Yeah, that's what I saw. Now I don't even see it anymore. Sorry. (edit, no, it's not gone, but like you guys said, only 2 6 packs per customer)

They do have 2016 Chrome Softs for $30.

I don't even need balls. I'm just poking around deals today.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Stock up now guys.

Saw the same on the zstars, only problem is you can only order 12 balls at a time...

I bought 1 dozen balls in the last 15 years. That's what Pro shop credit is for. ProV-1's every time. They do seem to be getting shorter off the tee the last few years nowever.

That's you, not the golf ball.

Kent is capable of making jokes, you know.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This was a ball I had in play the other day. I didn't even think anything of it. I took the picture because the tee was broken, but it still worked, then I noticed the golf ball. . .

Nj-Xu-T7-Fw-FOjp-Ikv-Up-Ho-MPqa08-VAP934gpo-Cnz-FJm9-Y-00t-Beohdh-Mx-V3-Njdim14je-O-03-UFxl-Ky-BHc0d-A-c-OLA5-Fwn-Zl-Lugom8-Ae-RGHhl9kr-ENi-Abl-GOG13a-Gr-Rdj-OV94klk-Pn169-RQLYIZPUj6-Ikq6-VYW8-DGH-DNQ7e-MON8p-Lnni-E1z-Zx-F5u-As7a-Rf-DPh-QKW1-Ju-U4-5-PIbmte-C84-ZZe-Gdk-AQz-Tb-UKei9-OGQ1fr-HDGo-Mst-Za-TCXlz-Qk-Q9-W8o-Q.jpg

Ye-If8l-Ka-Bcx-Cq-Gc-E67-WF9f-MLHv-T62xr-F8-Fcbjm-K3bon-n-Pvo-Pr-RChw7-Zi-k-XS6-Mz1-GAk-A-XNwm76u-l-F-7nx-TE3-ROx-SYyc-Ewuhggh-21l-GWt-IFsgju-MAxj3-DSQIwrk-TCh-9hu3-B12wssk-Qiqnja-Ntnz5-UBRfra8-Sj-UIc-Dz7-A1k-9g-YUJKCl-Uidk-M-r7-XE0g-QJ8m-It-Zsd-Su-TXd9iu7xfy8-TQAp-L-JOQGXv-Ur-K-E-io7r-IZh6w-ZIn-Jygug-SIb.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I bought 1 dozen balls in the last 15 years. That's what Pro shop credit is for. ProV-1's every time. They do seem to be getting shorter off the tee the last few years nowever.

That's you, not the golf ball.

Kent is capable of making jokes, you know.

People who use the word "duzz" have a little trouble picking up on social cues.

This was a ball I had in play the other day. I didn't even think anything of it. I took the picture because the tee was broken, but it still worked, then I noticed the golf ball. . .

Nj-Xu-T7-Fw-FOjp-Ikv-Up-Ho-MPqa08-VAP934gpo-Cnz-FJm9-Y-00t-Beohdh-Mx-V3-Njdim14je-O-03-UFxl-Ky-BHc0d-A-c-OLA5-Fwn-Zl-Lugom8-Ae-RGHhl9kr-ENi-Abl-GOG13a-Gr-Rdj-OV94klk-Pn169-RQLYIZPUj6-Ikq6-VYW8-DGH-DNQ7e-MON8p-Lnni-E1z-Zx-F5u-As7a-Rf-DPh-QKW1-Ju-U4-5-PIbmte-C84-ZZe-Gdk-AQz-Tb-UKei9-OGQ1fr-HDGo-Mst-Za-TCXlz-Qk-Q9-W8o-Q.jpg

Ye-If8l-Ka-Bcx-Cq-Gc-E67-WF9f-MLHv-T62xr-F8-Fcbjm-K3bon-n-Pvo-Pr-RChw7-Zi-k-XS6-Mz1-GAk-A-XNwm76u-l-F-7nx-TE3-ROx-SYyc-Ewuhggh-21l-GWt-IFsgju-MAxj3-DSQIwrk-TCh-9hu3-B12wssk-Qiqnja-Ntnz5-UBRfra8-Sj-UIc-Dz7-A1k-9g-YUJKCl-Uidk-M-r7-XE0g-QJ8m-It-Zsd-Su-TXd9iu7xfy8-TQAp-L-JOQGXv-Ur-K-E-io7r-IZh6w-ZIn-Jygug-SIb.jpg

I'm using the same ball right now - but prefer the Bridgestone Tour B XS for the summer when it's a little less windy/less cold. I'm not as long of a hitter as i'd like to be, but i was finding awesome success yesterday with the Z Star XV. I mean - i've never hit a gap wedge 140 let alone in the cold/cool weather, but yesterday i had a few that went that far. Maybe its swing mechanics, maybe its maybelline.

I took a cut with City's 4w on the 18th hole yesterday, then proceed to tell him his grip was both crooked, and twisted. It's a perfect analogy to our different personalities.

He of course pointed out there's no such thing as crooked. Logo up and logo down are just preferences, so who am I to say that logo 45 degrees from down is somehow wrong?

And he didn't even realize the grip was twisted. I pick the club up one time, and immediately notice the grip is twisted. He's been taking cuts with that twisted grip for who knows how long, and never picked that out.

IMO, there's nothing to pick out.

Putter grip is only grip that can be twisted.

Anyway. . .another one for you word police : I want to get this on the record, even though I'm sure others will claim provenance once it goes viral. . .I'm heretofore referring to Cameron Champ as Hammerin' Champ.

Get it? It rhymes.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Not really a lot of morning tv on the last 5 days so I was watching Morning Drive more than I usually do...ok, which is never. But man, they are really working hard at making me sick of all the Cameron Champ talk already. You would think they guy is going to win 6-8 events next year, with two majors, the way they cant stop talking about him. I get it, he hits the ball a long way. Got it.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I don't know or care how much Hammerin' Champ is going to win coming up, but I don't get being a golf nut and not being excited about him.

His power looks like the next evolution of the game. All the big guys swing at 122/124. He's not marginally better. He's not at 125. He's at 130. He's blowing it by the bombers. Can he put it all together and dominate? Will he stay healthy? Will the next generation build on what he's doing and we'll see a whole field of guys swinging 130 in 15 years?

If you're not excited by that, I don't know what it would take. . .a guy who chips it really close a few times per round?

I want to see them stretch 13 back at Augusta and then Champ go to the new tee box and hit one to PW distance. I want to see him hit an iron into 10 at Riv. I think it might be possible for him to carry the bunkers on 18 at Augusta. Other holes come to mind visually that I'm excited to see him on, but I can't bring to mind course/hole numbers. Some of the Florida swing with the Cape Holes come to mind, though.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you're not excited by that, I don't know what it would take. . .a guy who chips it really close a few times per round?

Its fun to watch. Its not "lose your mind" level just yet for me. Just about every hole I watched Sunday at the RSM played out something like this. Champ hits one 20 yards by his group. Hits last. Hits wedge to 50 feet. Putting first.

Good times. Very exciting.

So no, I'm not at the level just yet where I think Champ is going to influence an entire next generation.

Being excited about a golfer is one thing, but the oversaturation of his coverage is another.

Yes.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Spent last weekend at Penn State at the in-laws.

I will say that the level of fandom at Penn State is gross to me. Just like anything, anytime someone continuously tells you how great something is, you will hate it. It's that 24/7 at my in-laws house. Always have to go on a driving tour of campus.

See that building? One of the best law schools in the country.

See that building? That's the business school. Did you know they have a room in there where you can trade stocks?

There's my dorm from 1823 or whenever I went to college.

And then all the Joe Paterno stuff all over the place is the icing on the cake. It's a cult. Full stop.

That being said, we went to a women's volleyball game. Game started at 8:15. Had to get there at 7 because "You gotta watch them warm up". At dinner before the game I gave my FIL a little side-eye "I see you...I know why you like going to these women's volleyball games. Tall athletic 20 year olds? ehh? ehh??" joking around.

"NO. I Do NOT...I Don't even..."

Anyway. There were six thousand people at this volleyball game. standing room only. I've never seen a volleyball match at any level before, mens or women's, and I don't really know what I was expecting, but it was really entertaining. And people were into it. More than any sporting event I'd ever been to. I think Penn State was #7 or something, and they played Minnesota who was #3 or something. Again, I don't know what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the athleticism. A couple of long rallies where the tension builds and then someone spikes the s*** out of the ball and the place goes nuts.

You know how you see a dunk in a NBA game....not LeBron last year against the trailblazers (the most athletic thing that has happened in our lives), but a good one that happens every game but it's not a huge deal in the larger story of the game and the crowd goes "OHhhh". That same kind of thing happened 6 or 7 times with spikes. I told my nieces who were with us (and were into it the entire 3 hours) that whatever they decide to do, don't be cheerleaders. Be like these women. They both said they don't want to be cheerleaders. That's some uncle success right there.

sidenote: I was killing the uncle game this weekend. Example: I was stirring the gravy and needed to set a timer for a minute once it started boiling. Instead, I had my 7 year old niece stand next to me and count to 60. I'm a GD genius.

Anyway - I'm not saying I'm a huge women's volleyball fan now, but if you buy tickets and I'm not doing anything that night, I'll go.

Volleyball is awesome. I used to play a lot in my younger days at UNC. I played with a guy who had been on the US Virgin Islands Olympic team. I played a few times with his daughter. At the time she was 13 yrs old and 6 foot tall. She went on to be an all-American at Penn State. Won a number of NCAA championships and was on the national team.

Anyways. The wife and I played Needwood yesterday. Had a birdie on #9, 3 pars. The rest was mostly my standard bogies, and a few OH-MY-GOD-WHAT-ARE-YOU-DOING holes. Just not very sharp now that it's the off season. I think my game peaked in July and it's been a slow decline ever since.