2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

The guy I play with most at TV carries a retriever. Probably the best golfer I've ever seen who carries one. He's like a 2. He plays with clients a lot and says they love it when he gets their ball back. He puts a hybrid cover on it so no one knows that he carries one.

Speaking of Turf. . .2More and I are starting -- what we hope to be -- a series of events with "our guys". I got a little tired of "am I in or out" with a few groups out there and told 2more we should just start our own dang thang. We're starting this Sunday with 8 guys. . .fourball for 9 holes, singles for 9 holes, then a short putting competition for a bonus half point. I think we could have gotten 12 if we put in a little more effort. Hopefully we can grow it a little and see if guys are down for differently structured play dates. good group who likes to compete, but keeps it the right level of seriousnes.

Club I frequented years ago had standing "Championship Tees" group on Saturdays or Sundays....Anyone who wanted in was in, just had to play from the back tees. Thought it was a good idea for guys who wanted some more serious competition outside of the groups like you describe.

The guy I play with most at TV carries a retriever. Probably the best golfer I've ever seen who carries one. He's like a 2. He plays with clients a lot and says they love it when he gets their ball back. He puts a hybrid cover on it so no one knows that he carries one.

Speaking of Turf. . .2More and I are starting -- what we hope to be -- a series of events with "our guys". I got a little tired of "am I in or out" with a few groups out there and told 2more we should just start our own dang thang. We're starting this Sunday with 8 guys. . .fourball for 9 holes, singles for 9 holes, then a short putting competition for a bonus half point. I think we could have gotten 12 if we put in a little more effort. Hopefully we can grow it a little and see if guys are down for differently structured play dates. good group who likes to compete, but keeps it the right level of seriousnes.

Club I frequented years ago had standing "Championship Tees" group on Saturdays or Sundays....Anyone who wanted in was in, just had to play from the back tees. Thought it was a good idea for guys who wanted some more serious competition outside of the groups like you describe.

That's a good club.

The clubs I've been a member at have those groups, but were most certainly not welcoming to anyone who wanted to play.

That's a good club.

The clubs I've been a member at have those groups, but were most certainly not welcoming to anyone who wanted to play.

I never played as I wasn't a member, but my guess is that they played for enough money(guessing $100+..could have been much more) to weed people out, and didn't let known sandbaggers/illegitimate caps play. So I guess anyone isn't the right word, but weren't discriminating based on whether someone was a jackass or "in". If someone was 25, had no prayer from 7,000 yards, but wanted to flush cash down the toilet every weekend then they were allowed to play.

DD's just quoted a set of Z785s. Yup, that's happening.

Thought I was getting some competitive pricing from the usual eBay custom sellers, then they go and beat that price by triple digits. Unreal.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I know there are threads elsewhere, but I'd rather ask youz guys first.

Who here has a travel bag/case that they can recommend? Should I just get a hard case? Go with soft case and a stiff arm? Pros and cons of each? I have no idea what's best, I just know I'd prefer my clubs to show up all intact.

My Dad traveled with a soft bag and a stiff arm/crutch in the bag for years and had zero problems. YMMV.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Who here has a travel bag/case that they can recommend? Should I just get a hard case? Go with soft case and a stiff arm? Pros and cons of each? I have no idea what's best, I just know I'd prefer my clubs to show up all intact.

Club Glove case with a stiff arm/similar pole brace seems to be consensus.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

If you've got the money and travel a lot, definitely.

I only fly with clubs 1-2 times a year, and I've had the same no-name bag for almost 15 years with no problems. I think the Stiff Arm is the bigger part of keeping the clubs safe, and I'll wrap the top with a towel or some clothes I'm bringing to add some padding. When I remember to do it, I also remove the heads of adjustable clubs.

I have a Club Glove Last Bag and stiff arm. Never had a problem both in the days of fixed hosels on wood and today's adjustable. I've always wrapped folder beach towels around my irons and padded the shaft tips, and then carry the clubs in headcovers with the carry one. Really eliminates the possiblity of anything snapping. I won't go into all the other anal, OCD techniques I apply to protect my clubs. Though this might make for a good laugh.

Dom and I are flying out to Scottsdale Thursday morning. I'll be sure to document my club-packing process for best practices in ensuring a safe journey for all...

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

This

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Bryson and his caddie were in a funny detailed exchange.

Wind is nothing right now. 51 (151 I guess)

Full 9?

I like cutting this in there. How much slope? (on the fairway?)

2.5-3 degrees

That's going to be 1.3 up (yards elevation I guess?)

I'm going to aim at the right side of the green.

I was rolling when he ended with that. You're taking in the slope of the fairway to within half a degree, the distance to a foot, and then your target is "the right side of the green"? I was expecting his aim point to be precise to the same level.

I have this too and its worked great for clubs. One thing I did not expect -- the legs for the carry bag getting bent the very first time I travelled with it, and then one of the legs breaking in half this last time. United must be tossing the bag onto sharp edges that are bending/breaking the legs. Now I have to go through the process to try and get United to pay for a new carry bag.

All that said, I think I'm going to go hard shell soon. Seems like the easiest way to just avoid all future problems.

I have this too and its worked great for clubs. One thing I did not expect -- the legs for the carry bag getting bent the very first time I travelled with it, and then one of the legs breaking in half this last time. United must be tossing the bag onto sharp edges that are bending/breaking the legs. Now I have to go through the process to try and get United to pay for a new carry bag.

All that said, I think I'm going to go hard shell soon. Seems like the easiest way to just avoid all future problems.

gotta buy those replacement chopsticks.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Cheap soft bag. No stiff arm. No wrapping heads. Never had an issue.

You can spend a lot of money to slightly reduce the chance of breaking a cheap shaft... Or a shaft you are going to be happy to have a reason to replace anyway.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Cheap soft bag. No stiff arm. No wrapping heads. Never had an issue.

You can spend a lot of money to slightly reduce the chance of breaking a cheap shaft... Or a shaft you are going to be happy to have a reason to replace anyway.

Same. Spent $90 on some soft bag on amazon. I throw some clothes around the top and watch the southwest guy fling it around like a garbage bag on the tarmac. I travel with my clubs 2-3 times a year and never had an issue. Besides the tsa looking around in my golf bag once or twice.

Years and many flights ago I bought the SKB hard shell. Wont beat that drum again but I've had zero issues with it and love the way its constructed. Its built so that if any of the buckles/handle/wheels break, they send you a new part and you can easily replace it.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Years and many flights ago I bought the SKB hard shell. Wont beat that drum again but I've had zero issues with it and love the way its constructed. Its built so that if any of the buckles/handle/wheels break, they send you a new part and you can easily replace it.

That's only $150 on Amazon right now. How did it do in a rental car in Scotland? Assuming you had a rental.

All this travel bag in a rental car talk has me reminiscing about Florida. My buddies and I do a trip to Florida every winter for super bowl weekend. Just golf the whole time then watch the game. The charade with the travel golf bags, the luggage, and that rental mini van is a sight to behold w/ 4 guys.

P.S. - we had a guy tear his thumb a few days ago and need a player badly for this trip. Package deal to Orlando 1/31-2/4. PM me if interested!

That's only $150 on Amazon right now. How did it do in a rental car in Scotland? Assuming you had a rental.

No we had a van but it was no issue at all fitting it in any of the vans we had. My brother has the Last Bag and the SKB is actually smaller at the bottom than it is.

I've never had an issue but then again I've never tried to fit four guys rental clubs into one car either.

PS - dont buy that one thats $150, its a size up from the regular one. I just checked my past Amazon orders and I paid $179 for the one thats $230 now. Not sure why its gone up that much but you can probably find one on Craigslist. Or else wait until the next ebay coupon comes out - check the Deal or no Deal forum every so often.

Or Facebook Marketplace.

PS - dont buy that one thats $150, its a size up from the regular one. I just checked my past Amazon orders and I paid $179 for the one thats $230 now. Not sure why its gone up that much but you can probably find one on Craigslist. Or else wait until the next ebay coupon comes out - check the Deal or no Deal forum every so often.

Or Facebook Marketplace.

Thanks. I'll probably grab a Last Bag when I end up scooping one. Probably easier for storage too considering I live in a shoe box.