2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I think FAbb made the comment a short while ago that I needed to drop the ego and go to a regular flex. I don't think I was suffering from ego at all on that. Just ignorance. I ordered a ProLaunch Blue in regular flex, which with shipping sets me back less than $60. I'll see how it goes and take it back on the monitor next time I go. Then FAbb can brag about how he was right all along, even though he was just being a donk.

I don't think this was me. I have no recollection of this.

But maybe it's like that time I allegedly topped an iron off the tee on hole 10 at Waverly, that I also have no recollection of.

At your speed, I doubt the shaft is the issue at all. You're close to 100mph with the D.

Personally I dont know why would would let the certified master fitter actually use his professional skills to help Sully, lets all provide our own opinions on what Sully should do. At a minimum I'd like it to result in him buying at least two new heads and three different shafts in the offseason...

Just saw an ad for the new Wilson Duo Professional ball. I played the Duo for a couple of seasons and really liked it, just couldnt get use to the complete lack of check on it being a two piece ball. Really intrigued by the new three piece ball especially if it feels like the Duo did.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Actually, the F8+ only plays up to 11 degrees. I actually have a shaft in it that's from a FlyZ I played, and it's labeled 8-12. But even though it says 8-12 and is compatible, the F8+ is only 11 on the 12 setting. I didn't realize Cobra did it like that.

I also have the weights set up in the low launch setting. Because I'm a moron. Changing that now.

Not sure if you're 100% set on a ball, but a ball change can get you .5-1 degrees of launch these days, once you find a driver that fits more in the right ballpark.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Swing speed: 97 +/- 1.5

Ball speed: 146 +/- 3.5

Path: 4 +/- 1

Face: 3 +/- 1.5

AoA: -2.5 +/- 1

Launch: 7.5 +/- 2

Spin: 2000 +/- 400

Looks like a regular shaft and high spin head is in my future. The speed and face/path angles are a bit better than I was expecting actually. AoA could be less negative, but that's not too bad.

Ball speed 146, launch angle 7.5 and you're only getting 200 (?) yards of carry (according to your other post)?

That doesn't seem to add up.

Anyway, I know you closed with "AoA could be less negative."

Yeah, so much less negative, I'd say positive. That's the first thing I'd work on if I had those numbers. That doesn't seem desirable at all. This is very easy to play around with. You can try all the things that other people will tell you. . .change ball position forward, tee it higher, etc etc, but I'd also say just go out and try to launch it high. Pretend there's a tree in front of you and you're just trying to bash it over the tree with the driver, like you're cutting off a dog leg.

I used to get just as much carry with my 4W as the driver, but not these days. . .and I didn't get shorter with my 4W.

The number of people you come across who launch it too low with driver compared to launching it too high is like 100-1. Really, I can't even picture what launching it too high with driver looks like. I know what too much spin looks like, but I don't know what launching it too high looks like, unless it's cartoonishly high.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Sully your smash factor is right at 1.50 which is perfect. If I were a fitter I'd love to see that AoA go from -2.5 to +2.5, I'd bet with your swing speed staying exactly the same you'd gain some serious yardage too. Regular shaft might let that head load a little more though and change that AoA a bit.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Personally I dont know why would would let the certified master fitter actually use his professional skills to help Sully, lets all provide our own opinions on what Sully should do.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Sully your smash factor is right at 1.50 which is perfect. If I were a fitter I'd love to see that AoA go from -2.5 to +2.5, I'd bet with your swing speed staying exactly the same you'd gain some serious yardage too. Regular shaft might let that head load a little more though and change that AoA a bit.

still-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Sully has the right idea. No amount of fitting is going to cure hot trash juice face control. Get that tuned up first.

Oh like others told him to focus on lessons and improving instead as well.

Seeing trackman numbers outside rather than inside will show a difference too.

If he hook any of those he will show a false positive....trackman loves hooks.

Ive been working on lowering AoA actually.

In a lesson I was actually hitting up on irons. Driver swing is a victim of that I guess, and something I can work on. Most irons I can still stand to hit more down on.

Trust the process

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

We had the first "2More - CityGame Group Match" at the club yesterday. 9 holes of fourball (2 points). 9 holes of singles (2 points each). 200 foot putt-off singles for 1 point each.

First group was me and "A" against 2More and "B" (coincidentally, those are their actual initials). They're both around 10/13 handis, but the running joke with my guy is he'll pretty regularly shoot a round like 38-48. The first time I ever played with him, I remember we were playing a par 5 and I was near the green in 2. He was in the woods and punched out to like 180. He proceeded to hit a 5 iron to about 6 feet and make the putt for birdie. More later.

So, he gives us net bird on 1 for the halve. We lose 4 to 2More getting a stroke (4/3). Then on 7 a par 5, A&B are stroking and B is not in a good position after 2 shots, but hits his 3rd to about 6 feet. Great shot. But, then A hits his 3rd shot to a foot -- doesn't even have to putt it. B misses and we win the hole to square the match. We win the fourball on 9 1 up when A chips to a foot and makes par with a stroke. 2 More can't convert his birdie frutt. A finished the front at +2.

In singles, A is playing 2More. Hole 10, 2more hits one down the middle and wedges to about 8 feet. Meanwhile, A hits one behind a tree, punches out to 60 yards, hits a wedge to 4 feet and sinks for the halve. I was cracking up @2More.

But, just as foretold, 'A' sort of collapsed. 2More birdied 11, a few bad holes from "A" and 2more got him 4&3.

My match was bloody on the back. He OB'ed 10, but then he makes 4/3 on 11. I birdie 12. He birdies par 3 13th to square it and he's stroking the next two holes, and pipes one down the middle on 14. He and I both missed the green and I was able to convert for the halve. Next hole he hits another great drive, but then dumps his second in the drink and I go 1 up. Halve 16 and he's stroking on 17, but I birdied and he took himself out of the hole.

So, we went 2-1. The group behind us, team City lost the fourball, but won both singles, so we went into the putting contest with a 4 point lead, and so they would have had to win all 4. They started out right as 2-more sunk his second putt from 15-ish feet, But a halve on the next one put us up 8.5 to 5.5 with only 2 points left.

Fun day. Everyone hung out afterwards. A few sub-75's out there. The group behind us had a Nassau going with junk and it sounds like it was a birdie/sandy fest.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

city likes to bury the lead. after our collective CityTF he went and shot 1 under. sure it was match play one under but i'm really making the point that he played great. definitely a good time getting guys we like to play with together. i played very well. in my 15 holes of match play i hit 12 greens. and i only had one putt that i was just trying to lag. my putting had a bit of december in it but i did make two birdies. if you give me the five foot par putt that was given to me on the last hole of the match, which i then missed!, i was 1 over*. i was kinda mentally done after that. doubled 16 and then scraped together 2 pars

*this is my attempt at triggering someone

Things were pretty soupy and muddy yesterday, but I carried 9 random holes to try the new bag out.

And, it's pretty awesome. The straps are thick and comfy, storage is nearly overkill, and the built in towel carabiner is great. I didn't have any club tangle with 13 clubs in the bag and the stand mechanism worked without incident. The stand legs don't have the "feet" on them like the SM bags but they never dug in the mud.

S18 wedges- sweeeet. Don't think I need a 64 for while now that my lob wedge has lower bounce.

Leather grips on the wedges- incredible, might have to put them on my irons. I'm using these, which are the cheapest ones but they mop the floor with New Decades. Sewn back was really subtle and didn't feel weird when I tried to hit open face shots.

M3 driver- caught a few flush and it's carrying to the right spots..really promising in that weather. Sounds great, and noticeably more tame than the '17 M1 which is more like a rodeo bull.

Despite there being tons of standing water, the greens on the holes I played were running very firm. The Z-Star was excellent around the greens. I hit a bunch of shots comparing the two and the XV has a slight edge off the driver,and is a little less delicate for touch shots. On par 3's the two balls flew and carried identically.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I think FAbb made the comment a short while ago that I needed to drop the ego and go to a regular flex. I don't think I was suffering from ego at all on that. Just ignorance. I ordered a ProLaunch Blue in regular flex, which with shipping sets me back less than $60. I'll see how it goes and take it back on the monitor next time I go. Then FAbb can brag about how he was right all along, even though he was just being a donk.

I don't think this was me. I have no recollection of this.

But maybe it's like that time I allegedly topped an iron off the tee on hole 10 at Waverly, that I also have no recollection of.

At your speed, I doubt the shaft is the issue at all. You're close to 100mph with the D.

You are correct on the recollection. I was wrong. It was Eagle that said that about the flex ego. For some reason I just attribute all of the surly things said about me to you. I wonder why. Maybe you should be nicer to me.

You stilled topped all those balls though.

2More hit some nice shots yesterday. He almost buried a 30 footer on 1. Had a couple other great birdie looks that he almost made. Was not good on a couple chips.

He was closest to the hole "in regulation" on 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 14. Lots of good looks at it. That translates.

I'm not sure what happened to him after his match was over, but I've been there. Hard to change your mindset after grinding all day.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You guys gonna do it as a team thing all the time? How'd you pick the squads?

Basically we just found 8 guys that we knew and knew would be game. A couple guys who don't play a lot and need an invitation to show up. We made a half-Word not alloweded attempt to get 12, but when a couple guys were "no" we kept it at 8. We'll get 12 or 16. Not sure if it will always be a team thing, but that's kind of fun. We were texting and chatting on the tees when there was a back-up to keep up on matches.

Teams were pretty arbitrary. Tried to get a couple people teamed up who don't know each other, and split up guys who always play together. I'd played a few times with 2more's partner and I knew they'd gel.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Thinking about ditching work this afternoon to play, since it could be the nicest day of the foreseeable future. On the other hand, I just heard that the government will close on Wednesday in honor of the presidential funeral. So maybe I'll just play then. But it'll be pretty cold. Dunno.

Ooooooo. We never know with things like that here, but that's enticing.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Thinking about ditching work this afternoon to play, since it could be the nicest day of the foreseeable future. On the other hand, I just heard that the government will close on Wednesday in honor of the presidential funeral. So maybe I'll just play then. But it'll be pretty cold. Dunno.

The correct answer is to play both days.

The correct answer is to play both days.

Yeah, I figured y'all would say that.

Wind chill at or below freezing. Nope.

Seems like we never get a good random closure day when its perfect golf weather.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Got out Sunday early for a round with MeatMike1.0 . Thick fog early but we teed off anyway in a bit of a drizzle. We played 5 some skin game with quota points. I won 7 skins, and another guy had 9, no one else won any.

Best moment was on the par 3 #2 Seaside. I hit it over the green, but just barely, and MeatMike1.0 hit one into the trees on the right. He hit, catches a limb, and dumps it just short of the green. I hit my chip, and it comes to rest 18 inches above the hole. Its directly inline with where MeatMike1.0 has to chip it. I leave it as it is unmarked, and I go over to MeatMike 1.0 as the other 3 are messing around and say,

"Your boy CityGame calls that a Sasha Grey."

"Huh?"

"That" I point to my ball. "The backstopping."

"Who is Sasha Grey?"

And of course at this point, we had just conversed in a normal tone of voice, so now the other 3 are trying to figure out whats going on.

"What's a Sasha Grey?"

So now I'm dealing with 4 guys who are trying to understand what I'm talking about as I've used a thread lexicon word and they are all playing dumb like they don't know who Sasha Grey is.

"Guys, just Google that when you get home. Preferably when you're alone."

Me when MeatMike1.0 told me he didn't know who Sasha Grey was:

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I have NEVER referred to anything on the golf course as a Sasha Grey.

I'm not even sure how "back stopping" and Sasha Grey go together. I've never seen her stop. . .ANYTHING.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Got out Sunday early for a round with MeatMike1.0 . Thick fog early but we teed off anyway in a bit of a drizzle. We played 5 some skin game with quota points. I won 7 skins, and another guy had 9, no one else won any.

Best moment was on the par 3 #2 Seaside. I hit it over the green, but just barely, and MeatMike1.0 hit one into the trees on the right. He hit, catches a limb, and dumps it just short of the green. I hit my chip, and it comes to rest 18 inches above the hole. Its directly inline with where MeatMike1.0 has to chip it. I leave it as it is unmarked, and I go over to MeatMike 1.0 as the other 3 are messing around and say,

"Your boy CityGame calls that a Sasha Grey."

"Huh?"

"That" I point to my ball. "The backstopping."

"Who is Sasha Grey?"

And of course at this point, we had just conversed in a normal tone of voice, so now the other 3 are trying to figure out whats going on.

"What's a Sasha Grey?"

So now I'm dealing with 4 guys who are trying to understand what I'm talking about as I've used a thread lexicon word and they are all playing dumb like they don't know who Sasha Grey is.

"Guys, just Google that when you get home. Preferably when you're alone."

Me when MeatMike1.0 told me he didn't know who Sasha Grey was:

Is there a happy ending to this story of yours?

I have NEVER referred to anything on the golf course as a Sasha Grey.

I'm not even sure how "back stopping" and Sasha Grey go together. I've never seen her stop. . .ANYTHING.

You Lyin' bastxxx....

• photo-122960.jpg?_r=1543249564
  • Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,399 posts
  • Member #: 122960

• Handicap:2ish

GolfWRX Likes : 20440

625]

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

When backstopping works, I'm going to call it the "
Sasha
Grey
".

You need to go through a couple mental leaps to get there, but it's funny.

If you don't know who I'm talking about, DO NOT GOOGLE THAT AT WORK

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

There is a difference a between lying and forgetting.

The number of terms I make up and forget in a year is extensive.

Whenever I go back into the thread past, I'll see like these 2 day long diversions into hilarious stuff where I've handed out a bunch of likes, and received a bunch of likes. . .and I'll have NO RECOLLECTION of any of it.

Someone is going to going to say Hammerin' Champ next season and I'll be like, "that's funny. Can I borrow that?"

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green