2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Tried to get out yesterday but it is just so wet out there, it wasn't worth it. Lots of spots under the trees or where it isn't getting sun/wind where there is still standing water. Course needs multiple days of wind/sun to dry out. Hit the range for a bit and then hit putts for @ 30 minutes.

Oddly enough, grabbed what I thought was the right headcover out of my putter bag but ended up grabbing the old F7. Was hitting it so damn good.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I dont know if anyone follows Clay Ballard/Top Speed Golf on YouTube but last night he was talking about exactly the issues I've been dealing with. He did ~15 minutes on the top three issues people have on 60 yard shots. I think his #1 thing is definitely something I get stuck on, which is getting too armsy with the shot and not rotating/using your whole body. Wish I had watched it before I went to the range lol.

There are a lot of crackpot golf guys on YT but IMO they are one of the really good follows.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Does anybody use a standing desk?

Tried one, did not love it. Dr had recommended it but I found just getting up every hour to walk around was better.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

dunno how many of you have read 'watership down' but it was my favorite adolescent book growing up. i'm telling my son the story from memory (botching most of it, but some nuggets in there). the 80s british made-for-tv movie was horrifying, hope he never sees that.

netflix is releasing 'watership down' as a limited series this december. we will watch it together, and he's probably going to be very critical of my yarn-telling OR surprise the hell outta me and say he likes my version better. mine has transformers in it, so we'll see.

also of note: 'black mirror' is supposed to be coming out on the 28th.

John Adams classic. Curious as to how graphic they will make the scene were the one rabbit decapitates the other... with his teeth. If I was reading to Millie, that's where the transformers would come in and save that rabbit.

The trailer looks dark. Like Eagle, WD was a big book for me in early(?) high school. Definitely read it a few times. Tried to read another book by Adams once and it started out with a lab that did animal testing and they were drowning dogs, and it was from the dog's point of view. It was horrific and I never finished the book.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Tried one, did not love it. Dr had recommended it but I found just getting up every hour to walk around was better.

Tried it years ago. I don't think it was good for my joints. I've read a bit about how much of a "risk factor" all-day sitting is, but the standing really seemed to be getting into my knees, hips, back. We might not be made to sit all day, but I don't think we're designed to stand in one place for 8 hours straight, either.

These days, I just try to do a bit of stretching a couple times during the day. Most important is just to get on my feet for a while after work -- golf and yoga satisfy that. I just don't think it's a good idea to go bed -> car -> office -> couch -> bed each day.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

We might not be made to sit all day, but I don't think we're designed to stand in one place for 8 hours straight, either.

Agreed. Walking an inside lap of our building is @ 1/4 mile. It feels better than the standing desk did.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I'm just not very good at making sure I get up and move at work. I have a job where most days, I could legitimately spend the entire day at my desk. I don't have many meetings, and my work is 95 or more percent done from my desk. I'd only really need to get up to pee, fill my water bottle, and get food from the fridge.

At a bare minimum, I need to start making myself get up and move more throughout the day. I've got too many years left sitting at a computer to not take some kind of action sooner than later.

I dont know if anyone follows Clay Ballard/Top Speed Golf on YouTube but last night he was talking about exactly the issues I've been dealing with. He did ~15 minutes on the top three issues people have on 60 yard shots. I think his #1 thing is definitely something I get stuck on, which is getting too armsy with the shot and not rotating/using your whole body. Wish I had watched it before I went to the range lol.

There are a lot of crackpot golf guys on YT but IMO they are one of the really good follows.

I like that channel and I like that take on partial wedges. I've been highly tuned in to my weight transfer over the last couple of months and that's become my biggest thing on full wedges and partial wedges. I would imagine that what I'm doing for "weight transfer" goes hand in hand with rotating/using body. I was actually out on the practice hole the other day and trying to transfer "too much" on partial wedges. I literally couldn't do it. I'd move all the weight forward, and the wedge would just drop on the ball perfectly. That's learning the shot. Now, need to commit to it on the course.

I got out for a 9 hole match yesterday. I hit a 125 yard 8 iron on one hole and a 170 yard 8 iron on another hole. It was windy. I should have beaten the guy 3&2 but I missed 3 shorties. It was disgusting. I was 1 up going into 8 and lost both holes.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You know what’s worse than sitting at a desk all day long? Sitting in a car all day! As a roving sales guy I put almost 35k miles a year on my car. I did the math last year, and that’s roughly the equivalent of spending 1 out of 12 months every year in the car. On bad weeks I tighten up and back/neck gets a little finicky. I need to get with the citygame and start with some yoga soon to combat this. I mean, my sister is a full time yoga instructor with tens of thousands of followers on IG. I should have already reached out to her for some golf centric positions to try.

I literally couldn't do it. I'd move all the weight forward, and the wedge would just drop on the ball perfectly. That's learning the shot.

Their 3rd focus area is what I've been talking about with the Cameron McCormack stuff and thats getting some deloft/shaft lean into the shots for better contact. And not fully releasing the club through it. Really good.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I'm just not very good at making sure I get up and move at work. I have a job where most days, I could legitimately spend the entire day at my desk. I don't have many meetings, and my work is 95 or more percent done from my desk. I'd only really need to get up to pee, fill my water bottle, and get food from the fridge.

At a bare minimum, I need to start making myself get up and move more throughout the day. I've got too many years left sitting at a computer to not take some kind of action sooner than later.

Do you have office? Cube? Privacy?

I have started doing low-key yoga in my office for about 5-10 minutes a day. My office mate these days is working at home 2/3 times per week, which is nice, but otherwise he leaves at 2. I can just shut the door.

I'll focus on some good "counter-sitting" moves. . .plank, lunges (you can google others). Both of my frequent instructors are very focused on opening the hips, and chest, especially for people who work at computers and are on phone a lot. When I started yoga, I was tight/closed in ways that I didn't even imagine were ways to be tight in, things that I just figured "oh, that's how my body is."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The armsy slap wedge swing City does sometimes?

giphy.gif

It came out HARD at EagleMore, but I swear I'm getting over it. In addition to the several chunks I had at Eagle more, I also hit a 50º to 6 inches and one to 3 feet. hit a 50º to 6 inches on Saturday that almost went in.

Get back to me in march, you're going to be like,

"that creamy weight transfer and club drop that City does. . .

giphy.gif"

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I got a convertible standing desk from gotime earlier this year. I probably use it an hour a day. Could do more.

No clue on health benefits, but I find its a good change when I want to do something different. I seem to focus better on a single task when I use it. Similar to folks mentioning walking, it also lets me step away and pace for a bit to think without being at the keyboard.

I have zero point zero privacy at work. And since I'm poor and don't wear ABC pants like Domes, I'd probably rip the crotch wide open on my skinny boy pants if I tried any yoga moves.

At a bare minimum I need to get up and move more.

And I need to get back on the wagon with exercising. I actually put the clubs away, and don't intend to do any swinging through at least this month. My less bad wrist has been killing me. Gonna give things a week or two to calm down, then jump back into the routine exercising, without golf to distract me. I'm really going into this winter with the intent to put golf on the back burner.

Have a Varidesk 36 at work. It sits too high on the desk when I'm seated, and I can't get it quite right when standing. 3/10, traded out tight hips for a sore neck all the time.

Edit: if you do get one. make sure you have a thick mat to stand on.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Goose brings up an important thing on the height. Since it sits on the desk, it raises your sitting height. If you can't put your desk down, or raise your chair more, it can be a problem. Right now my previously comfortable desk is a bit too high when sitting. I can't raise my chair more, so I need to lower my desk an inch or half inch. I can do it, but it's kind of a pain because it's a "custom" desk (Ikea kitchen countertop) and I need to replace the things I used for spacers.

Goose brings up an important thing on the height. Since it sits on the desk, it raises your sitting height. If you can't put your desk down, or raise your chair more, it can be a problem. Right now my previously comfortable desk is a bit too high when sitting. I can't raise my chair more, so I need to lower my desk an inch or half inch. I can do it, but it's kind of a pain because it's a "custom" desk (Ikea kitchen countertop) and I need to replace the things I used for spacers.

Best ones I've seen are the whole desk top on gas struts. Fully adjustable, usually with adjustable monitor arms. For being an "average" size man, I find very few things at work ergonomically pleasing. I want to throw my Aeron chair in a bonfire. At least in the summer time I can be in the field a couple days per week.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Is it time to leave for Pinehurst yet? I'm over the December and January weather already.

No kidding. I’m ordering some new shoes this week to prep. Clothes may not be fresh but my shoes will be! Trying to get hooked up with some AVX balls too but not sure if that will come through. Trying to not buy any clubs before then too.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Is it time to leave for Pinehurst yet? I'm over the December and January weather already.

No kidding. I'm ordering some new shoes this week to prep. Clothes may not be fresh but my shoes will be! Trying to get hooked up with some AVX balls too but not sure if that will come through. Trying to not buy any clubs before then too.

scotchgarding the uppers of my shoes has kept them looking so fresh and so clean. highly recommend. also, rotating between 12 pairs* helps as well.

i'm working on a pinehurst email, a hive email and the B-roll. coming soon to a computer screen near you!

*could be more. i didn't actually count. some at the office, some at home, some hidden at home, some in the car. i've become a shoe-caholic and i need to stop the madness.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

You know what’s worse than sitting at a desk all day long? Sitting in a car all day! As a roving sales guy I put almost 35k miles a year on my car. I did the math last year, and that’s roughly the equivalent of spending 1 out of 12 months every year in the car. On bad weeks I tighten up and back/neck gets a little finicky. I need to get with the citygame and start with some yoga soon to combat this. I mean, my sister is a full time yoga instructor with tens of thousands of followers on IG. I should have already reached out to her for some golf centric positions to try.

You don't say...

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green