2018 CME Group Tour Championship Nov 15-18

Argonne69

Congrats to Lexi for keeping her streak of consecutive wins in back to back seasons alive. She seemed to be a different player this weekend. Hopefully she can put the rest of the season behind her and focus on the positive.

Great final round, and season by Ariya, and well deserving of the $1 million bonus. She mentioned yesterday that her main focus was on trying to keep a positive attitude on the course. Golf is a brutal game, and it can beat you down. She may catch some flack for her smile during the preshot routine, but it sure seems to be working. Hit your shot, accept the results, and move on.

I'd like to give a special F*ck you award to AT&T. I got home 20 minutes ago to find my U-verse DVR locked up, so I missed the final round minus the awards ceremony. It appears that the final round will not be broadcast on The Golf Channel. Huh? 'Figures that the only round I'll miss seeing this year will be the tour championship. WTF. Hopefully I can find it on YouTube.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Awsi Dooger for the updates that tell us what we're not seeing.

Completely agree about the use of straighter faced clubs and the ability to improvise which seems to be missing in the modern game.

Great win for Lexi,looked very confident.

Nelly Korda was impressive,looked wonderful in the white outfit and her swing is elegant and athletic.

Delighted that Ariya loosened up in final round and that So Yeon Ryu also climbed,a real delight when interviewed.

Only downside for me was Christie Kerr's comment about being commissioner for the day and raising the issue of prize money (minimum guaranteed $3 million purse per event?) which I thought a bit tacky given the other girls treated it in a fairly light-hearted manner.

It just sounded greedy and I know that they are professionals but they are well paid for doing something that they love,I'm not in favour of the ridiculous amounts of money paid to sporting figures,it too often removes them from the reality of the world outside their particular bubble and when the prize fund is bumped up as for the British Open (mens') it becomes absurd,I know I would settle for $50,000 if my name was on the Claret Jug for posterity.

Anyways,a very big thank you to Argonne who makes this area of the site such a pleasure to visit and look forward to next season!

My group was good today. Really wanted to see Hannah Green play as I have never really seen her much this year. If Minjee could just sink more putts she would be off the charts good.

I thought Hannah Green would be the next big thing after the Australian Open, but generally it has been slim pickings for her since then in her debut year. And because the lesser known, out of form players are not covered, i have no idea what happened. Her swing was quite idiosyncratic back in February. Perhaps she has been "fixing" it.

Congrats to Lexi for keeping her streak of consecutive wins in back to back seasons alive. She seemed to be a different player this weekend. Hopefully she can put the rest of the season behind her and focus on the positive.

Great final round, and season by Ariya, and well deserving of the $1 million bonus. She mentioned yesterday that her main focus was on trying to keep a positive attitude on the course. Golf is a brutal game, and it can beat you down. She may catch some flack for her smile during the preshot routine, but it sure seems to be working. Hit your shot, accept the results, and move on.

I'd like to give a special F*ck you award to AT&T. I got home 20 minutes ago to find my U-verse DVR locked up, so I missed the final round minus the awards ceremony. It appears that the final round will not be broadcast on The Golf Channel. Huh? 'Figures that the only round I'll miss seeing this year will be the tour championship. WTF. Hopefully I can find it on YouTube.

It may be viewed! You wanna somathat? Try wasan somsawat.

I`d like to give an even larger FU award to Mother Nature, I lost power Thursday night around 11 and just got it back at 7 tonight, missed everything but Thursdays round...I was super pissed.

My group was good today. Really wanted to see Hannah Green play as I have never really seen her much this year. If Minjee could just sink more putts she would be off the charts good.

I thought Hannah Green would be the next big thing after the Australian Open, but generally it has been slim pickings for her since then in her debut year. And because the lesser known, out of form players are not covered, i have no idea what happened. Her swing was quite idiosyncratic back in February. Perhaps she has been "fixing" it.

Me too. After seeing her all of 18 holes here is what I see:

Average length

Iron miss is over-drawing the ball

Driver miss was a push late in the round

Waaaay too tentative on the greens.

Nothing really says WOW about her game from what I can see. It's early in her career, she can get better.

Me too. After seeing her all of 18 holes here is what I see:

Average length

Iron miss is over-drawing the ball

Driver miss was a push late in the round

Waaaay too tentative on the greens.

Nothing really says WOW about her game from what I can see. It's early in her career, she can get better.

Thanks for that. None of that surprises me given her technique. But earlier on she had that mysterious thing called form, and it all worked. Her attitude was great too. She carried the air of someone who belonged in contention.

I want to start with a lengthy post focusing on Marina Alex's mom. What a nice lady. I spent quite a bit of time talking to her today over the final holes. It began on the 13th green when she walked up beside me near the green and was miffed that the gallery was silent after Marina hit her approach to 25 feet. "No applause for that? What a tough crowd." Then she repeated it basically word for word.

I had seen her earlier and thought it might be Marina's mom due to the dark hair and distinct New York/New Jersey look. But this clinched it. Just for an opener I asked if she was Marina's mom. When she said yes and smiled, I told her that I became a fan of Marina after she was more enthusiastic than anyone else while hugging and congratulating Mo Martin after that unlikely British Open win several years ago. Marina's mom knew what I was talking about as I recited the anecdote, and I had the feeling it was not the first time she heard that. She beamed and said, "Thank you very much."

Then I told her about feeling like I was a jinx to Marina at this event, based on how many times Marina bogeys as soon as I show up. It played out that way again today. I decided to follow that second to last group of Lydia, So Yeon and Marina instead of the final group with Lexi and Nelly.

Marina was in great shape on the first hole, then 3 putted from 25 feet for bogey. Unbelievable. Then another 3-putt bogey from the same range on 3.

Marina's mom listened with amusement but didn't want to hear anything about that. When Marina birdied 17 to briefly tie for second at -13, her mom motioned to me with encouragement, "You're the good luck charm. Let's go to 18."

On 18 we talked about numerous topics, including the Solheim Cup. I said Marina had to be in great shape on the points list, and this was only going to help. "That would be a dream come true, " said Marina's mom, almost shaking at the thought, while saying she wasn't sure if it was on home soil or in Europe this time. Then she voiced related frustration at the selection process for international teams: "You know, she never played on a Curtis Cup team. They never picked her. Her numbers were great. But it was all politics."

We talked about Vanderbilt probably being an issue in the selection process, that it's an awesome school but not a golf powerhouse. Marina's mom talked about how well the men's program is doing now, when neither men's or women's was particularly strong when Marina was there.

I asked about Aim Point. That group was heavy Aim Point, with both Lydia and Marina. "She's been doing it for a couple of years. Her stroke has really improved."

Then she sighed out of nowhere as we approached the tee ball. "That was Marina's final drive of the season. Soon the final putt..."

I asked if Marina had any plans for special events or outings. "Not really...just a break. But not too long. We get going again on January 17th or 18th. There's a new event in Orlando, at Diamond Resorts."

I bemoaned the departure of the Ocala event. "Can you believe that?" she said. I mentioned that the sponsor bailed. "Bailed," she repeated in dismay. "And it was such a shame. Everyone loved that event. It was so convenient no matter where you were coming from in Florida. And that was such a nice course...interesting course."

We talked about the tribute holes on that Ocala course, like the Road Hole at St. Andrews and 12th at Augusta, that the course did a decent job of replicating things.

At that point our conversation ended rather abruptly. Marina pushed her approach shot and her mom wasn't sure where it ended up. I had to break the bad news that it dribbled into the right greenside bunker. "Oh no," she said, while describing some troubles Marina had in bunkers this week.

Marina's mom walked forward and up the stairs of the nearby spectator grandstand on 18 to watch.

Yep, it ended in bogey, as it began. Marina dropped to -12 and out of T3.

But I didn't feel like a jinx anymore.

And I think we'll see Marina at the Solheim Cup, with proud mom not far away.

Other stuff:

* I saw Steve Stricker out there walking the course, but obviously not trying to advertise himself. He was wearing a blue shirt and dark blue baseball cap, and with prominent dark sunglasses. I had seen that guy earlier but didn't realize who it was until behind the 16th green

* I'm not sure how many more years the first tee announcer can keep going. He is quite old. But the pronunciation is always good and the gravely voice strong enough. Later I saw him touring around in a cart. He told the other guy in the cart that Gaby Lopez is one of his favorites. "She is a sweetheart."

* Prior to teeing off the final group had vastly different approaches to final preparation. Nelly was last on the putting green, practicing long lag putts. Ciganda was practicing greenside bunker shots. Lexi remained on the range pounding balls

* I decided to follow the second to last group and hang back to watch Lydia and Nelly hit up. That worked great early as Lydia birdied the first two holes, and I got to see Nelly and Lexi exchange birdies on #1 with putts only inches from each other.

* I wanted Nelly to win. But it always seemed doubtful. She missed the green left and down the left slope on 2, leading to a decent chip but missed par putt. The early vital exchange was on #4, where Nelly hit it perhaps 10 feet behind the hole and then had opportunity for a 2-3 shot swing when Lexi inexplicably pulled it into the water. Lexi required a long time to receive a ruling on her drop. I have no idea why she needed a ruling, or where the young heavy set girl was, the one who always handles rulings for the feature groups. This time it was a guy named Bo.

Nelly missed while Lexi awaited the ruling. That was crucial. Lexi decided to putt up the slope and got it within 5 feet underneath the hole. Once she saved bogey I was sure it would be her day, so I hustled to rejoin the Lydia/Marina/So Yeon group

* Marina eagled #6 from about 20 feet. That was a great spectator card to that point -- eagle, two birdies and two bogeys among 6 holes. I was already feeling like less of a jinx

* So Yeon had nothing but pars entering the 7th. That is a typical round for her. She always looks more solid than anyone but not exactly dangerous. Then on the short par 4 7th So Yeon pulled her tee shot so badly she ended up where I have never seen a player on that hole...down the 4 foot embankment into the mucky area. Or at least it normally is mucky. It was mucky on Thursday, when I looked down there after the Wednesday rain. Somehow So Yeon ended up not only on a dry area but on the only grassy patch within sight. How is there grass down there? It almost looked like second cut. And she took advantage of the great break, hitting a wedge over the edge of high trees and onto the back ledge of the green, only 12 feet away. Birdie and a wry smile. So Yeon realized she didn't exactly deserve that one

* On 8 I walked across to check out the pin position on nearby 17. I ran into a couple I talked to at length on Friday, behind the 17th green when that pompous *ss remote cameraman pushed the man in the chest, prompting the response, "Get your hands off of me." Today the couple told me they sat down alongside 17 and very soon a long second shot crashed into the pin and dropped for double eagle, an albatross. I still haven't seen a video of today's round or that shot. They said it was Maria Torres. According to the couple, only a few people were there to clap for the albatross, and initially Torres didn't know what happened

* BTW, that guy was still furious at the remote cameraman from Friday, saying he was looking for him today and wanted to trip him, if the opportunity presented itself. No kidding. Nobody should downplay what a moron that guy is. I forgot to mention it yesterday but the same thing happened on Saturday to lesser degree. The jerk cameraman barged into a crowd of youngsters right of the 9th green when Marina Alex' second shot ended up there. Identical audacity from Friday. Instead of politely asking people to move, he immediately went in there with his arms and started pushing the teenagers back. Absolutely surreal. The kids were silent and shocked. Today the organizers should have put that cameraman in one of those parachutes at the end of the day, and made sure it landed somewhere unfortunate. Maybe a quick landing. I'm not apologizing for any opinion regarding that beer bellied cameraman. He doesn't need one more day in that role

* Lydia and Marina messed up the turn. Marina had two short birdie misses on 9 and 10, while Lydia bad back to back sloppy bogeys on 10 and 11. That pretty much ruined any hopes of the next to last group factoring in the outcome. I decided I would keep an eye on things and drop back to the final group if Nelly cut the deficit to 2. Well, this approach on 12 looks interesting. Once Nelly drained that putt I thought we might have something. I hustled forward to 13 green, which is where I met Marina's mom, per the earlier post. Marina's mom and I agreed that we were rooting for Nelly, if it came down to Lexi or Nelly. "We played with her yesterday," Marina'a mom said of Nelly. "Lovely girl."

* I waited alongside 13 as the outcome was essentially decided. Nelly dumped it short into the bunker and Lexi stiffed it to 3 feet. That's it. I was sure it would be a 2-shot swing, and the lead back up to 4. I hustled forward to 14 and told others what had happened. "Oh, that was the roar we heard," said Marina's mom, of the reaction when Lexi hit it to 3 feet.

* Nelly tees the ball very low on the driver. Lowest I saw all week. Lydia and Marina tee it higher than most, nearly a full ball above the top of the crown

* There is a 55ish wiry gray haired guy who I see at this tournament every year. He walks around with (presumably) his wife. British accents. Interesting guy because all he talks about is the technical golf swing. Always analyzing out loud. Mostly elbow position, arch and width. Today he was fixated on Lydia's swing and his belief that it is superior to ever before, and definitely better than Marina or So Yeon in the same group. I've seldom if ever heard that guy talk about results, as opposed to the swing. But when I pointed out Steve Stricker he perked up and reminded his wife that they saw Stricker in person one time, and he blew the event by hitting it in the water and losing to Jiminez. Maybe somebody else remembers what event that was. I was stumped, and not going to ask. The guy was quite pleased that his wife remembered.

* On 18 alongside the gallery ropes after Marina's group had finished, and just before the final group played its approach shots, I mentioned to someone nearby that Nelly needed a par on 18 for outright second. Immediately behind me to the right a man's voice reacted to that. "Nobody else reached -14?" I turned and it was Lexi's dad, Scott Thompson. Unmistakable. I confirmed to him that nobody finished better than -13, that So Yeon had a good chance on 18 but missed. At that point he got a call on his cell phone. Mr. Thompson answered and told the other end that Nelly needed par for outright second. Then apparently the other person asked about the post round ceremony. "No, I don't want any part of that. I don't want to be on camera."

* I was pleased when Nelly pitched close enough for a tap in for outright second place. I think she would have had more chance to contend for the win today from outside that final group. But obviously there was such separation on Saturday it was always obvious she would be paired with Lexi

* Today they took away the ice bucket early. Poor handicapping on my part. I should have anticipated that. But before removal I did manage one traditional Gatorade and one orange Gatorade. Overall I nabbed 11 drinks. They want 4 bucks apiece at the nearby concession stands. So at that rate I "saved" nearly the combined price for weekly pass to this event -- $30 -- plus the weekly parking -- $15.

* Contrast to the Players Championship, which charges $35 for parking alone on Friday and Saturday, if you don't have at least 4 people in the vehicle.

* One last post on this event. I've seen this for years but don't think I have ever mentioned it before. They have volunteers all over the place but some of them are assigned to monitor the ice machines outside the rest rooms. I am not kidding. That is their sole responsibility, and especially at the rest room between the 4th green and 5th tee.

It is not the ice they are concerned about, but the racket. It is quite loud as those cubes are dispensed. They don't want any of the players distracted while putting on 4 or teeing off on 5. Countless times I've seen the volunteer stop someone from dispensing the ice, if the timing is wrong. The adjacent water dispenser is quiet so that is within limits at all times.

It is also an issue to lesser degree behind the first tee, and between the 14th green and 15th tee.

I've always wondered what those volunteers tell their family or friends, regarding their responsibility at the tournament: "Whose group did you follow? What hole were you on?"

Full honesty is not the favorite

Thanks for the recap, that was all really interesting. Marina Alex seemed so genuinely happy and humble after her win this season that I instantly became a fan. I'm not surprised to hear she has a good, supportive family behind her.

I do have to gripe about ABC's coverage of the final round. I know I should be happy that it was on ABC at all, and I am, and this issue certainly isn't unique to the LPGA, but until the last couple holes it seemed that coverage was limited exclusively to four or five players. I think all they showed was Lexi, Brooke Henderson, Brittant Lincicome, Ariya, and Nelly Korda. This despite there being a bunch of other compelling players at the top of leaderboard, like Lydia Ko and Marina Alex.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

* One last post on this event. I've seen this for years but don't think I have ever mentioned it before. They have volunteers all over the place but some of them are assigned to monitor the ice machines outside the rest rooms. I am not kidding. That is their sole responsibility, and especially at the rest room between the 4th green and 5th tee.

It is not the ice they are concerned about, but the racket. It is quite loud as those cubes are dispensed. They don't want any of the players distracted while putting on 4 or teeing off on 5. Countless times I've seen the volunteer stop someone from dispensing the ice, if the timing is wrong. The adjacent water dispenser is quiet so that is within limits at all times.

It is also an issue to lesser degree behind the first tee, and between the 14th green and 15th tee.

I've always wondered what those volunteers tell their family or friends, regarding their responsibility at the tournament: "Whose group did you follow? What hole were you on?"

Full honesty is not the favorite

I can shed a little light on this one. Whoever is on that hole they will rotate around throughout the day. Not sure if it's the 4th or 5th hole responsibility but they will switch around after x number of groups play.

Also, if you want tickets for next year just let me know. They always give us 4 tickets for volunteering and I never end up using them. Only bad part is that I pick them up on my first day of work.

Agreed. We didn't get to see Maria Torres's albatross. You have to think that Jerry Foltz and Karen Stupples earned the right to walk that last round of the season. There were so many times that what we all see all the time was brand new to the commentators. Geez, folks, do your homework.

I think it’s ridiculous that the Tour Championship is tape-delayed the first three days, but, given a choice, I’d take tape-delayed on the fourth day with regular announcers over live with the group we got.

During the third round broadcast they mentioned the number of players with sub-70 scoring averages. This season on;y four players finished the year averaging below 70: Ariya, Minjee, Jin Young, and Brooke. Last season there were 12 players. A decade ago there was only one, Lorena.

Comparing this year's Asian swing vs. last years, it appears that the scores were much higher this season, which likely kept a number of players above the 70 mark. Overall, the winning scores were slightly higher this year vs. last year.

The median scoring average this season was 72.0. Last year it was lower, 71.8.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I have developed a burning hatred for all things Golf Channel, so you won't get me saying anything nice about them lol. But yes ABC coverage was terrible also, but sadly I don't see anything changing cause it doesn't seem to matter to the commish or the LPGA.

A couple of players (not in the event weren't impressed with the tape delay), Stacey Lewis sent out a tweet of her disapproval. I don't know how reliable the info is, but Alena Sharps caddie mentioned yesterday on twitter, that the sponsors actually have to pay money to have these events covered. It kinda makes sense when I think about it Loreana Ochoa cash strapped match play event wouldn't have had money for that and in the last year of the event there was absolutely no coverage. But it is what it is and I have accepted that the only adequate coverage the women's game will get will be by the USGA at the US Open.

It's definitely a Catch 22. The tour needs larger purses to attract the best players, and get people coming through the gates. However, some of the purse has to go towards TV time, and too little means fewer hours of coverage.

The LPGA has content distribution deals with 20-25 different countries who broadcast the coverage. Too often we think of the LPGA in US-centric terms but it's much more global in nature.

As a Canadian I hate this global term, cause we get jobbed lol. Golf Channel is part of our programming package (so I pay for it) but when they go to live streaming LPGA because of the PGA we are geo blocked from watching it, then you gotta find a VPN site to be able to get it and some of those sites a very sketchy. TSN which covers golf in Canada (our ESPN) probably tick off Golf Channel and this makes thing difficult for content here. They bought the rights to the majors so Golf Channel loses the advertising revenue in Canada, for the Players, PGA Championship (believe GC has rights) and British Open. They have different advertisers (commercials in Canada I believe) cause I doubt you guys in the US get 10 Brooke Henderson sketchers and Rolex commercials per round whether it's LPGA or PGA being shown lol, it's always about the money ha ha.

The LPGA has content distribution deals with 20-25 different countries who broadcast the coverage. Too often we think of the LPGA in US-centric terms but it's much more global in nature.

As a Canadian I hate this global term, cause we get jobbed lol. Golf Channel is part of our programming package (so I pay for it) but when they go to live streaming LPGA because of the PGA we are geo blocked from watching it, then you gotta find a VPN site to be able to get it and some of those sites a very sketchy. TSN which covers golf in Canada (our ESPN) probably tick off Golf Channel and this makes thing difficult for content here. They bought the rights to the majors so Golf Channel loses the advertising revenue in Canada, for the Players, PGA Championship (believe GC has rights) and British Open. They have different advertisers (commercials in Canada I believe) cause I doubt you guys in the US get 10 Brooke Henderson sketchers and Rolex commercials per round whether it's LPGA or PGA being shown lol, it's always about the money ha ha.

Nope, we get those too! :-)

Not complaining, just explaining...