Bandon 2019 Trip

hbrar99

I am 16 weeks away from my 8th trip to Bandon. Starting to get to my anxious phase. Trip is too far out to get too excited, close enough for me to start final planning for the trip and start thinking about it all the time. I thought I would share our itinerary with others and as always, am open to suggestions on ways to improve. Here goes.

Tuesday - 4 of us arrive in Eugene between 10:45 and 11:15. Pick up our car rental and head to Eugene CC. 1:30 tee time. Never played, we are excited. We generally get in late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. This year we were able to make it in early Tuesday and were able to get on Eugene CC. Heard great things about the course, so we are excited. After the round, we will head straight to Bandon and check in at the Inn.

Wednesday - 8:50 at Bandon Trails. 3:00 at Bandon Dunes. We have another 8 arriving throughout the day. One foursome to join us at Bandon Dunes in the afternoon. Dinner at the Gallery, catching up with old friends and a lot of Scotch in the plans for the night.

Thursday - 11:00 Bandon Trails. Drinks around the firepits at Trails End, Preserve at 5:00.

Friday - 11:00 Old Mac. After round, Punch Bowl, drinks and cigars. Hopefully dinner at Pac Grill.

Saturday - 11:00 Pac Dunes. Cigars and drinks at the firepits outside of McKee's before dinner. Final Dinner of the trip and start planning next years trip.

Sunday - 7:30 at Bandon Dunes. Showers, lunch, head to the airport, shed a tear and hope we all don't have to wait a year before we make it back.

We usually play 36 2 to 3 times in a trip. Decided this time against it because we wanted to enjoy the company and the beauty of the property a little more. In the past, when it started as 4 of us we were always together. Now, as our group continues to grow, I realized that I barely see some of the guys in group because we may only play 1 or 2 rounds together and we have very little down time. So we'll try to get a little more time together before we head back to the reality of life.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Its nice to be able to share our trip with others who understand the enjoyment that comes with making the trip.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds amazing. I don't currently have 7 great golf friends to do this trip with, but there is still time.

Love all the Bandon Intel that gets dropped here. Do you have to call and arrange all the times yourself, or does someone help with the bookings at the same time as lodging? How much do you have to know before you call?

Sounds amazing. I don't currently have 7 great golf friends to do this trip with, but there is still time.

Love all the Bandon Intel that gets dropped here. Do you have to call and arrange all the times yourself, or does someone help with the bookings at the same time as lodging? How much do you have to know before you call?

Best bet is to just call. Even submitting dates online, you have to call to complete booking. You don't have to book tee times at the time of booking your lodging, but since you're able to, it's a good idea. The deposit is the first night's room and the first full round of golf- so if you can manage that, it's worth it. You really only need to know your dates that you want to be there to begin, but if you know how much golf you want to play, the folks working the reservation desks are really good about managing the different options and helping you get lined up as best they can.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

The reservations desk at Bandon is as friendly and helpful as I have encountered. Don't hesitate to call and ask. We actually now are up to 12. To make sure I get the tee times and rooms we want, I usually schedule almost a year in advance. But we are somewhat specific as to where we like to stay. I try to make sure that we can get rooms at the Inn, specifically the golf doubles so that have the grassy area outside of them and can go from room to room. Also, in years past when we played 36 more often, I wanted to make sure that we had early tee times so that we could play our replay rounds earlier in the day. For a foursome, a few friends and I decided to go last March and were able to book the Lodge Suite 6 weeks in advance and get decent tee times, albeit a Monday thru Wednesday.

Gotta get to the Punch Bowl more than once, no?

With 12 guys I put together an itinerary so everyone knows where to be. But it always changes a bit. Having so much time in the mornings, I am sure a few us will be there more than once. Possibly in the morning, definitely after the Pac Dunes round. But we will get all 12 together at least once.

Gotta get to the Punch Bowl more than once, no?

With 12 guys I put together an itinerary so everyone knows where to be. But it always changes a bit. Having so much time in the mornings, I am sure a few us will be there more than once. Possibly in the morning, definitely after the Pac Dunes round. But we will get all 12 together at least once.

Good for you guys. I've only been to Bandon one time, which was this year. It's been several months now and I miss that place. Like, for real, I truly miss Bandon. Every time I think about it, every time I read one of these posts. Can't be helped.

Looking forward to going back again one day.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I am 16 weeks away from my 8th trip to Bandon. Starting to get to my anxious phase. Trip is too far out to get too excited, close enough for me to start final planning for the trip and start thinking about it all the time. I thought I would share our itinerary with others and as always, am open to suggestions on ways to improve. Here goes.

[...]

Nice itinerary for balancing hanging out with friends and getting in lots of golf. Keep it loose.

You can always head out on Shorty's if you need a few more holes before dinner.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

You're one lucky golfer to be able to make it there the 8th time.

Very fortunate, I count my blessings. My brother and I made it an annual trip and it has since grown. Our wives are more than understanding. Get lucky and make another trip here and there for business as well.

[...]

Nice itinerary for balancing hanging out with friends and getting in lots of golf. Keep it loose.

Actually thinking of trying to play shorty's one morning before my round as a warmup. Anyone ever done that?

Sure, but not on a 36-hole day...

Lol, no. I've played the preserve after 36, done an emergency 9 at Bandon Dunes after 36 and played 54 in Scotland. Not as young as I once was and killed the rest of my trip doing playing 54. Will try to play in the morning as a warmup on one of the 11:00 am tee time days.

On a side note, a few years ago when we played the front 9 on Bandon Dunes, it was a blast. As our 3rd round of the day, it was free. Plus, at 5:45, the starter let us go out as an 8some and play a big skins game. Was an awesome experience.

You're one lucky golfer to be able to make it there the 8th time.

Very fortunate, I count my blessings. My brother and I made it an annual trip and it has since grown. Our wives are more than understanding. Get lucky and make another trip here and there for business as well.

[...]

Actually thinking of trying to play shorty's one morning before my round as a warmup. Anyone ever done that?

Isn't Shorty's available only in the afternoon...At least that is what I always thought?

Shorty's is completely open Sun-Thurs (all day). Fri-Sat several of the holes are closed, since they are the target greens for the South range.

You can still play the first three holes and the last one on Fri-Sat, as they are off the range. The red flag will be up on the first tee to let you know. Green flag means all holes are open.

Don't forget to drop a few $ in the honor box when you start.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Shorty's is completely open Sun-Thurs (all day). Fri-Sat several of the holes are closed, since they are the target greens for the South range.

You can still play the first three holes and the last one on Fri-Sat, as they are off the range. The red flag will be up on the first tee to let you know. Green flag means all holes are open.

Nice to know...we always just stopped there in the late afternoon.

Website says Shorty's is open Thursday - Sunday in the afternoons. Is your info more up to date?

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses/practice-center

Tuesday - 4 of us arrive in Eugene between 10:45 and 11:15. Pick up our car rental and head to Eugene CC. 1:30 tee time. Never played, we are excited. We generally get in late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. This year we were able to make it in early Tuesday and were able to get on Eugene CC. Heard great things about the course, so we are excited. After the round, we will head straight to Bandon and check in at the Inn.

Wednesday - 8:50 at Bandon Trails. 3:00 at Bandon Dunes. We have another 8 arriving throughout the day. One foursome to join us at Bandon Dunes in the afternoon. Dinner at the Gallery, catching up with old friends and a lot of Scotch in the plans for the night.

Thursday - 11:00 Bandon Trails. Drinks around the firepits at Trails End, Preserve at 5:00.

Friday - 11:00 Old Mac. After round, Punch Bowl, drinks and cigars. Hopefully dinner at Pac Grill.

Saturday - 11:00 Pac Dunes. Cigars and drinks at the firepits outside of McKee's before dinner. Final Dinner of the trip and start planning next years trip.

Sunday - 7:30 at Bandon Dunes. Showers, lunch, head to the airport, shed a tear and hope we all don't have to wait a year before we make it back.

We usually play 36 2 to 3 times in a trip. Decided this time against it because we wanted to enjoy the company and the beauty of the property a little more. In the past, when it started as 4 of us we were always together. Now, as our group continues to grow, I realized that I barely see some of the guys in group because we may only play 1 or 2 rounds together and we have very little down time. So we'll try to get a little more time together before we head back to the reality of life.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Its nice to be able to share our trip with others who understand the enjoyment that comes with making the trip.

If i may ask, how did you get on Eugene CC? We are heading to Bandon in late April and wanted to hit the course. I know it is private. I'm positive I can have my club here in Atlanta call out there, but was curious if you arranged it another way?

• 2 weeks later...

If i may ask, how did you get on Eugene CC? We are heading to Bandon in late April and wanted to hit the course. I know it is private. I'm positive I can have my club here in Atlanta call out there, but was curious if you arranged it another way?

The pro from my brother’s club called and it was easy enough. good luck.

hbrar99 you have a great trip set up. My only suggestion to your itinerary is that there is a great restaurant, Edgewaters (http://www.edgewaters.net/index.html) in Bandon that is worth the trip if you want to eat somewhere else besides the resort. Fantastic seafood there. Have the chowder.

By the way I am here right now. I played Pacific Dunes yesterday. It was 60 F, clear blue skies, and max 5 mph winds. Today I'm playing Bandon Trails with fellow WRXer, Matt J, and tomorrow I'll be playing Bandon Dunes. Staying at the Inn.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

hbrar99 you have a great trip set up. My only suggestion to your itinerary is that there is a great restaurant, Edgewaters (http://www.edgewaters.net/index.html) in Bandon that is worth the trip if you want to eat somewhere else besides the resort. Fantastic seafood there. Have the chowder.

By the way I am here right now. I played Pacific Dunes yesterday. It was 60 F, clear blue skies, and max 5 mph winds. Today I'm playing Bandon Trails with fellow WRXer, Matt J, and tomorrow I'll be playing Bandon Dunes. Staying at the Inn.

Lucky bastards.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That sounds idyllic. I'll be there for 5 days of golf next week, Monday thru Friday, and it will be my first time ever visiting. I actually find myself hoping for a mix of weather just to have experienced Bandon at it's rainy best, but certainly wouldn't mind a day or two like the one you've described. First round is 10:40 on Monday on Pacific...figured I'd give myself time for a slow morning Monday given that I'll be driving Sunday and getting in late.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

That sounds idyllic. I'll be there for 5 days of golf next week, Monday thru Friday, and it will be my first time ever visiting. I actually find myself hoping for a mix of weather just to have experienced Bandon at it's rainy best, but certainly wouldn't mind a day or two like the one you've described. First round is 10:40 on Monday on Pacific...figured I'd give myself time for a slow morning Monday given that I'll be driving Sunday and getting in late.

I had some really great weather in Jan 2016 but wow this trip is picture perfect. Today is more of the same and tomorrow afternoon there may be some light rain at the end of my round.

I think that it is part of the Bandon experience to play in all the weather conditions. Over time I much prefer the nice weather here but seriously it can be 30mph winds and dumping rain here and still you feel like a kid at Christmas being out on a course. LOL especially on your first visit, it really won't matter.

Have a great first trip. Pacific Dunes is a great first course to bust your Bandon cherry on. You will have a blast regardless of the weather.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

OP, sounds like a very nice trip. Forgetting the air fare, booze, and cigars, what's a ballpark figure for a trip like this? I'm thinking of putting one together with just 4 of us.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Thanks for the recommendation and have a great time. Getting great weather is just icing on the cake when you are out there. Enjoy!

OP, sounds like a very nice trip. Forgetting the air fare, booze, and cigars, what's a ballpark figure for a trip like this? I'm thinking of putting one together with just 4 of us.

Price is month/season dependent at Bandon. We've been going in April for quite a while for various reasons. This year, at The Inn, for a trip from Wed - Sun, 6 rounds and the preserve, it will be about $1700. The four of us who will be playing Eugene CC have that extra green fee and one extra night at Bandon. We used to take caddies, but after carrying our own bags last year I think we will continue to carry and save the money. I loved the caddies, but we have decided to save the money and have a pretty good feel of the courses now.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.