You've seen it, I've seen it: dropping at "knee height." WHY??

BenSeattle

I have read the pros and cons and I'm sure you were all waiting for me to weigh-in (no pun intended):

I am FOR the new knee-high(ish) drop rule thingy.

Carry on.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should go back to dropping over the shoulder. See what Bryson E. Coyote - "Have Brain. Will Travel" can do with that.

Mirror on his hat and shoulder maybe ?

rear-view-sunglasses.jpg

USGA is watching you, Bryson.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Just make them carry a little two foot high, official dropping stick and be done with it. New merchandising opportunity.

THIS idea has merit! Think about the endless possibilities of your dropping stick merchandising. Team logos, Loudmouth colors, collapsible, grips, clip-on to bag, oh man!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Every player should just buy the new "As Seen On TV" Dipstick, automatic ball drop stick. Each Dipstick comes equipped with a 2.5 foot* interchangeable ground to ball measuring rod which is guaranteed to be accurate to within .00000001 inches! Simply push the plunger and kerplunk! the golf ball is precisely and worry free dropped in conformance with all USGA and R&A rules.

Remember our motto, if you are one, you need one!

*(2.5 feet is the scientifically established average knee height for men and women as determined by the international department of useless weights and measures)

Only in forum world is this a "thing". The new ob and lost ball rules are of much more weight.

not really I don't know of any course that's going to put those rules in play . I actually called three courses close to me and spoke with the pros (whom I know) and asked and they said no, people don't play by the rules anyway during casual rounds no need to muddy the water trying to explain a rule change that matches what they are doing anyway. That's a quote from one of them.

Another laughed and said " let's see. Breakfast balls. , 3 foot gimmes , and hazard drops all over the map ....who thinks they are playing stroke and distance anyway "?

Is YOUR course putting it into play (it's private, yes ?)

And whether the course puts it into play or not the individual groups/committees/clubs that play there can put it into play or not without the course doing anything. It's been stated that a lot of the public courses don't give a hoot about posting such a local rule because they know the ones who don't care, still won't care and the ones that do will play by it.

We already know a LOT of casual players do all sorts of things contrary to the Rules but that's not the point. The point is for the players and groups that DO play by the rules.

Our course didn't post anything about it but our group discussed it and put the local rule into play. Another, larger group that plays the same 2 courses did the same.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Only in forum world is this a "thing". The new ob and lost ball rules are of much more weight.

not really I don't know of any course that's going to put those rules in play . I actually called three courses close to me and spoke with the pros (whom I know) and asked and they said no, people don't play by the rules anyway during casual rounds no need to muddy the water trying to explain a rule change that matches what they are doing anyway. That's a quote from one of them.

Another laughed and said " let's see. Breakfast balls. , 3 foot gimmes , and hazard drops all over the map ....who thinks they are playing stroke and distance anyway "?

And whether the course puts it into play or not the individual groups/committees/clubs that play there can put it into play or not without the course doing anything. It's been stated that a lot of the public courses don't give a hoot about posting such a local rule because they know the ones who don't care, still won't care and the ones that do will play by it.

We already know a LOT of casual players do all sorts of things contrary to the Rules but that's not the point. The point is for the players and groups that DO play by the rules.

Our course didn't post anything about it but our group discussed it and put the local rule into play. Another, larger group that plays the same 2 courses did the same.

Committee voted it down this morning before the seniors wed dog fight.

And the reason they hated it was hilarious. They argued for 30 minutes on how the relief drop worked. And all got so mad they decided it was stupid ( their words ). And voted to not use it. Lol. I wasn’t there. But I have a fly on that wall who is a retired pga master pro. He called me this evening to give me that news. I figured they wouldn’t do it. But had no idea it would be because of the drop.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And the reason they hated it was hilarious. They argued for 30 minutes on how the relief drop worked. And all got so mad they decided it was stupid ( their words ). And voted to not use it. Lol. I wasn't there. But I have a fly on that wall who is a retired pga master pro. He called me this evening to give me that news. I figured they wouldn't do it. But had no idea it would be because of the drop.

Wait, putting what into play???

And the reason they hated it was hilarious. They argued for 30 minutes on how the relief drop worked. And all got so mad they decided it was stupid ( their words ). And voted to not use it. Lol. I wasn't there. But I have a fly on that wall who is a retired pga master pro. He called me this evening to give me that news. I figured they wouldn't do it. But had no idea it would be because of the drop.

Wait, putting what into play???

MLR E-5 - Local rule for alternative relief for OB and lost ball.

Titleist Pro V1X

Ahhhhh

Yeah, I don't know any clubs that are doing it. LOL

Love it. Lol

Golf Chanel just had USga guy in interviewing about the rules and knee drop specifically and as he spoke and said “ the knee height will promote less re drops and getting the ball on the ground quicker” you have Gary woodland in the background from last week dropping in a small slope from knee height ... he dropped 3 times and placed. Exactly like before. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Love it. Lol

Golf Chanel just had USga guy in interviewing about the rules and knee drop specifically and as he spoke and said " the knee height will promote less re drops and getting the ball on the ground quicker" you have Gary woodland in the background from last week dropping in a small slope from knee height ... he dropped 3 times and placed. Exactly like before. Lol.

A single example proves absolutely nothing. Nobody has EVER said that it will eliminate multiple drops, only that they believe it will DECREASE them. As many others have said, a ball dropped from a lesser height will bounce less high. If the landing area is sloped, that means it will bounce less to the side as well. If there's some grass on that slope, it has a greater chance to stop close to the drop point. To claim that the lower drop will change nothing is just as foolish as it would be to claim that it would completely eliminate multiple drops.

Love it. Lol

Golf Chanel just had USga guy in interviewing about the rules and knee drop specifically and as he spoke and said " the knee height will promote less re drops and getting the ball on the ground quicker" you have Gary woodland in the background from last week dropping in a small slope from knee height ... he dropped 3 times and placed. Exactly like before. Lol.

A single example proves absolutely nothing. Nobody has EVER said that it will eliminate multiple drops, only that they believe it will DECREASE them. As many others have said, a ball dropped from a lesser height will bounce less high. If the landing area is sloped, that means it will bounce less to the side as well. If there's some grass on that slope, it has a greater chance to stop close to the drop point. To claim that the lower drop will change nothing is just as foolish as it would be to claim that it would completely eliminate multiple drops.

Especially once you consider that they've eliminated the old rule that the ball can roll an additional two club lengths from where it struck the ground, instead requiring the ball to stay inside the relief area. Much smaller area to get the ball at rest in.

Love it. Lol

Especially once you consider that they've eliminated the old rule that the ball can roll an additional two club lengths from where it struck the ground, instead requiring the ball to stay inside the relief area. Much smaller area to get the ball at rest in.

lol so they are so confident that the knee drop will eliminate ( my word) re-drops that they shrunk the allowed landing area ? thats funny too.. almost gaurantees MORE re-drops doesnt it ?

that makes it smell like placement is the ultimate goal...not less re-drops

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Love it. Lol

lol so they are so confident that the knee drop will eliminate ( my word) re-drops that they shrunk the allowed landing area ? thats funny too.. almost gaurantees MORE re-drops doesnt it ?

I believe the process may have been the opposite. The "rolling an additional 2 club lengths" part of the rule was strange especially when it was possible at times to get up to 4 club lengths of relief this way. So you close off the relief area and now to compensate on the dropping side you lower the drop point. I currently have no strong opinions on the knee drop but I believe this is one of the intentions of the changes.

Love it. Lol

I believe the process may have been the opposite. The "rolling an additional 2 club lengths" part of the rule was strange especially when it was possible at times to get up to 4 club lengths of relief this way. So you close off the relief area and now to compensate on the dropping side you lower the drop point. I currently have no strong opinions on the knee drop but I believe this is one of the intentions of the changes.

But if the ball is allowed to roll less , re-drops have to increase. Just math isn’t it ?

I only have a strong opinion because I detest waste. Some number of people were paid a great deal of money to come up with and approve this one rule alone. And then more I hear the less sense it makes.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

But if the ball is allowed to roll less , re-drops have to increase. Just math isn't it ?

I only have a strong opinion because I detest waste. Some number of people were paid a great deal of money to come up with and approve this one rule alone. And then more I hear the less sense it makes.

As said before by others, the less the ball spends travelling to the ground, the less momentum to bounce one way or another and leave the relief area. It will absolutely not eliminate redropping since players will drop on the edge of the relief area to get it to bounce away twice. Over the normal course of play I believe it will decrease redropping due to it not having the momentum to bounce or roll away.

Agree to disagree. Just don’t see it if it’s allowed to roll less.

You know where only talking on slopes right ? Flat ground is a wash

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree to disagree. Just don't see it if it's allowed to roll less.

Its not like it can only roll 3" now. The relief area is 1 or 2 club lengths (depending on the rule) of the longest club in your bag besides the putter. That's not a small area.

Love it. Lol

Why would you even SAY "eliminate" when NOBODY (but you) ever said it and Dave, who you quoted, specifically said "DECREASE" ?

Nevertheless you seem to be stuck on "slopes". But MORE drops Gracie ? How could you POSSIBLY think that dropping from the knee will cause the ball to roll more than from shoulder height ? Makes ZERO sense at all.

Further, you are thinking SOLELY of slopes from 30-45 degrees, where no doubt the knee height will make zero difference & the ball will roll too far. But what about slopes that are 5-10 degrees ? You really think the ball will roll out of the relief area from knee height ?

So how could dropping from knee height possibly cause MORE drops ? 2 is still the limit before placing.

And the relief area is still 2 club length wide. And on the slopes you are mostly talking about, no doubt at the edge of the red penalty area, you would most likely be dropping at the point furthest away from the margin of the area thereby giving you 2 full club lengths anyway.

Titleist Pro V1X

Love it. Lol

Really ? Dropped THREE times and then placed ? Exactly like before ? :cheesy:

So if flat ground is a wash how can there be more drops ? Or are we only talking about slopes again (which is still just silly) ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Its not like it can only roll 3" now. The relief area is 1 or 2 club lengths (depending on the rule) of the longest club in your bag besides the putter. That's not a small area.

I think the system can be manipulated, a player certain can drop right at the edge of the relief area, where if the ball bounces just a few inches in a specific direction it could end up outside the relief area. I think the system could be improved by allowing the ball to move a little, even if it ends up outside the Relief Area. I believe that the goal was to keep the ball relatively close to the Reference Point, for any of the drop situations, which led to the lower drop height, and the requirement that the ball stay in the Relief Area. As with some of the other rules (including the yellow penalty area topic discussed at length in another thread), it won't surprise me if this one gets tweaked a bit before the normal 2-year cycle of rules changes.

I think the system can be manipulated, a player certain can drop right at the edge of the relief area, where if the ball bounces just a few inches in a specific direction it could end up outside the relief area. I think the system could be improved by allowing the ball to move a little, even if it ends up outside the Relief Area. I believe that the goal was to keep the ball relatively close to the Reference Point, for any of the drop situations, which led to the lower drop height, and the requirement that the ball stay in the Relief Area. As with some of the other rules (including the yellow penalty area topic discussed at length in another thread), it won't surprise me if this one gets tweaked a bit before the normal 2-year cycle of rules changes.

That's an excellent point and it will happen.

Guys will absolutely drop from knee height at the edge of the RA hoping it will roll just outside of the PA and they'll get to place it.

Titleist Pro V1X

Love it. Lol

Then we should drop from ankle height.

Love it. Lol

Or place it.

And here we go again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

A-merry-go-round.jpg

Titleist Pro V1X

Love it. Lol

Or place it.

And here we go again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

A-merry-go-round.jpg

Placing it was the way to go in the first place if the goal was to eliminate re-drops.

Love it. Lol

Why would you even SAY "eliminate" when NOBODY (but you) ever said it and Dave, who you quoted, specifically said "DECREASE" ?

Nevertheless you seem to be stuck on "slopes". But MORE drops Gracie ? How could you POSSIBLY think that dropping from the knee will cause the ball to roll more than from shoulder height ? Makes ZERO sense at all.

Further, you are thinking SOLELY of slopes from 30-45 degrees, where no doubt the knee height will make zero difference & the ball will roll too far. But what about slopes that are 5-10 degrees ? You really think the ball will roll out of the relief area from knee height ?

So how could dropping from knee height possibly cause MORE drops ? 2 is still the limit before placing.

And the relief area is still 2 club length wide. And on the slopes you are mostly talking about, no doubt at the edge of the red penalty area, you would most likely be dropping at the point furthest away from the margin of the area thereby giving you 2 full club lengths anyway.

If it’s allowed less rolling room it COULD cause more now in SOME instances.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Love it. Lol

Really ? Dropped THREE times and then placed ? Exactly like before ? :cheesy:

So if flat ground is a wash how can there be more drops ? Or are we only talking about slopes again (which is still just silly) ?

Lol

Or whatever number it is. Making light of my ignorance doesn’t change the fact that this is a huge expense that solves nothing.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock