2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Battle of the Driver Shafts

Chip2win

Why is this in deal or no deal?

Looks like because now ShaftShack is being called out by the OP. I’m not the least bit interested in his high priced shaft showdown, but I am interested in hearing the details of his interaction with this ShaftShack operation. It’s an interesting concept that I’d be extremely interested in trying if it was ran well and is not a company that will end up nickel and diming a good deal into one that turns surprisingly expensive.

*esit - I mean to say, I’m very interested in hearing more details about this deal. I’m suspicious we may not be getting all relevant details here.

Not to thread-jack, but I was interested enough about this ShaftShack concept to check out their site. While browsing for "shafts for purchase" the first thing I came across was one of my old favorites, the Aldila RIP Alpha. Only problem, they're asking $159 (without a tip or grip). No thanks, I'll stick to Golfworks for $80. The rental idea might be a good idea, but pricing for purchasing seems a little out there on certain items.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Looks like because now ShaftShack is being called out by the OP. I’m not the least bit interested in his high priced shaft showdown, but I am interested in hearing the details of his interaction with this ShaftShack operation. It’s an interesting concept that I’d be extremely interested in trying if it was ran well and is not a company that will end up nickel and diming a good deal into one that turns surprisingly expensive.

*esit - I mean to say, I’m very interested in hearing more details about this deal. I’m suspicious we may not be getting all relevant details here.

Not to thread-jack, but I was interested enough about this ShaftShack concept to check out their site. While browsing for "shafts for purchase" the first thing I came across was one of my old favorites, the Aldila RIP Alpha. Only problem, they're asking $159 (without a tip or grip). No thanks, I'll stick to Golfworks for $80. The rental idea might be a good idea, but pricing for purchasing seems a little out there on certain items.

Rent from them to demo, and then buy from somewhere else if you decide it’s a keeper.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Update: Shaftshack hit me with a totally unwarranted $15 late fee. NOT HAPPY. Disreputable operation.

Details? Was your return late or not? From other complaints you've made about the whole process, it sounds like either you didn't ask enough questions (i.e. shaft length, adapter, etc.) and if shaft shack is going to suggest to people "HEY, TRY US" then you owe it to your fellow members to let us know if there was a problem or not, especially when you toss out the claim, "Disreputable operation"

Hi Duffer222,

We were kind of hoping to let this whole debacle sink into the abyss, but it has strangely been moved to this forum and not left in the Club Tech forum were it originated, aside from the fact that our experience with this customer, after the fact, was not pleasant for us by any means. Regardless, it looks like we're being called to the front of the classroom here...

So yes, Duffer222, you are very astute, as the OP did not ask any questions or read the Terms of Service he agreed to prior to placing his order, and in the interim obviously came back here to write some misleading things.

Let's clear up these things, and make sure we can move forward in a positive direction.

1. All our demo shafts are cut to a playing length of 45 inches. And because we utilize the Club Conex adapter system for our demos, and because it is true that some OEM hosels can sit a cm higher or lower than others, this means that the final playing length of your club, with our demo shafts, might be a centimeter above or below 45 inches. But definitely not 44.75 inches like the OP stated.

2. The OP made the claim that he was hit with an "unwarranted" late fee. Definitely not true. We keep detailed USPS tracking records of everything we send out and include tracked return shipping labels and that includes a required signature confirmation of all shipments. We are not about to post the tracking #s of the OP’s order here, as they would obviously then reveal his identity and home address. But let’s be clear, the real reason we are so anal about the method in which we send demo shafts in the mail, is to mitigate risk, and alleviate any burden away from the customer and give us enough legal documentation in the event we need to make an insurance claim or in the event the customer never returns the shafts to us so we can make a claim or send info to a collection agency, a sad and ugly truth of the rental industry. But we have to protect ourselves too. Look, we know no one likes late fees, but think of it this way, we are sending anywhere from $400-$4,000 worth of demo shafts in a single package/order and (1) we need to make sure it can be insured in the event it gets lost, damaged, or stolen through no fault of our own or yours. We surely don't want our customers being responsible for $1000s of equipment because they asked us to leave the package on their doorstep with out signature confirmation and it got stolen, or the Post Office damaged the shafts in the mailing process. And (2) Yes, we do charge late fees, as per the Terms and Conditions on our site. But let’s be clear again, our business is not centered around making money on late fees. Trust me when I say I would rather forego a $15 late fee over potentially loosing a customer who may be worth $1000s down the road and lots of good word-of-mouth advertising. But we have to stick to our guns on this policy, otherwise we are prone to a few bad apples taking advantage of the system and making our service unreliable for others. You see, more often than not, we have many other customers waiting for the return of a demo that has already been checked out. So the late fee serves as deterrent and helps motivate customers to be timely and ultimately respectful of those in the queue. Regardless, the OP could have called us in advance, and told us he was going to be late in sending the package back and needed an extra day or asked for an extension or volunteered to pay the pro-rated overtime. But he obviously did none of that, instead he decided to take his frustrations to the internet...

Look, I wish we could have all the demos shafts in the world, and did not have to rely on people retuning things on time, but that would make ShaftShack a charity, and not a business. And while the OP is entitled to his opinion, we disagree with him calling us a “disreputable operation.” You know, it’s funny, but running ShaftShack.com is a lot like checking out books at your local library. Everybody has to play by the rules if the community is going to benefit from the service.

Ultimately, my brothers and I created ShaftShack.com to help solve a small niche problem of an imperfect system by empowering passionate golf enthusiasts interested in experiencing the world’s best equipment by giving them the tools they need to definitively answer the questions at hand. Especially golfer’s who do not have easy access to these high-end products and/or for those who believe that golf is played in the real world and products need to be tested outside under real conditions and not just on a simulator. Is this business unorthodox? Yes! Is it slightly disruptive? Yes! Will it make us rich…probably not. But it serves an unmet need, gives us a sense of purpose, has been really fun, frustrating at times, and rewarding, and for that we will continue against all adversity and bumps in the road to help those customers who see it the same way.

Thank you. We hope that helps! ;)

Sincerely,

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

Tele: 1-888-751-5127

Email: [email protected]

• Like 1

Rent from them to demo, and then buy from somewhere else if you decide it’s a keeper.

Hey! Buy were you can get the best deals! We're all for it! :pimp: :victory: :good:

You have to understand, our business is mostly about providing a service to our customers, not selling a specific product. We let the golf shafts (the products) do the selling for us. If you don't like the shafts after you demo them, or find them cheaper somewhere else, go for it! It's your right as a consumer to spend your hard-earned money were you see fit. We're all about making sure our customers are empowered to make the best decisions for themselves! It's inherent in the demo program we created! ;) (sorry I'm addicted to emojis).

But I will say that I don't think you'll find a better deal elsewhere on the internet! Let me explain: You see, with our demo program, you can apply up to $100 of demo credit back to the purchase of a new 1st-tier shaft (some exceptions apply, so please inquire within). And all new shaft purchases come with a FREE factory adapter ($30 value) and we never charge for frivolous things like $10 for labor or $3 for tip trimming or $5 for a butt-cut (sounds funny!)...

And we apologize if some of our prices on our site are out-of-date and higher than other locations, this is probably only because we need to make the changes to our website or the manufacturer made a price change we were not aware of. We definitely want to make sure you get the fair market price. If there is a competitor selling for less, please let us know!

Let's be clear: WE WILL PRICE MATCH ANYONE! as long as they are adhering to manufacturer's policy.

Lastly, you should know that when a retailer becomes an authorized dealer of the manufactures (this applies to all retailers), we have to adhere to strict price policies. If someone else is selling a shaft below the minimum advertised price (MAP), we can not advertise for less. But remember, we do allow you to apply your demo fees, and get a brand new shaft with full manufacturer's warranty. So do the math, and if we are still more expensive, let us know! We want to earn your business, as long as we are not violating the rules/contracts we have agreed to with the manufacturer. And if someone is selling below MAP, be sure to ask them if they are violating price policies and if the shaft is new or used or comes with a full warranty. If not, then you have to decide what that peace of mind is worth to you.

Sincerely,

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

• Like 1

Hope we addressed your concerns in the post above!

Sincerely,

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

My lawyers are advising me not to discuss the Shaftshack debacle publicly...

In more important news...

Will you at least tell us the name of the law firm you hired to fight the $15 late fee?

Oh I’m sure they’re taking the case Pro Bono to teach those nasty disreputable shaft shack Mafiosa types a lesson.. ; )

Will you at least tell us the name of the law firm you hired to fight the $15 late fee?

Oh I’m sure they’re taking the case Pro Bono to teach those nasty disreputable shaft shack Mafiosa types a lesson.. ; )

Sure hope the Diamana works out especially with almost $90 on the line! This could get ugly quick if it doesn’t!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

This is such a stupid response.

ShaftShack came to the thread to provide a thorough response and summary of the business model and you can't add anything to your currently baseless attacks.

...and the response tells you everything you need to know about the situation.

For those interested:

1. AD-DI 60 X : I loved it. Super smooth. High and long. My only concern is my misses tended to be pulled left. It may be a touch too soft. I think the 70 X might be a better fit.

2. Diamana BF 60 X: Also a fantastic feeling shaft. Easy to load. I hit a butter cut almost every time. The only problem is I prefer a baby draw.

3. AD-IZ 60 X: I didn't really like this one. I know there are a lot of fans out there, but it wasn't for me. It felt much stiffer than the other two.

As far as the previous ugly situation, this is the last I have to say on the subject. I received a threatening call from Phil. He kept repeating that he felt the need to "escalate" this matter due to my comments on this site. I don't know whether this means he's going to sic the lawyers on me or send a guy to break my legs, but I really don't want to find out...all over a $15 late fee. Really?

P.S. I paid to demo the shafts for 7 days and they were in my possession for 6.

As far as the previous ugly situation, this is the last I have to say on the subject. I received a threatening call from Phil. He kept repeating that he felt the need to "escalate" this matter due to my comments on this site. I don't know whether this means he's going to sic the lawyers on me or send a guy to break my legs, but I really don't want to find out...all over a $15 late fee. Really?

This is also the last we will comment on the topic at hand, as it is all totally nonsense and irrational...

My Auntie Grace, a wonderful Scottish gal, gave me 3 solid pieces of life advice. Two pieces of Auntie Grace’s advice fit this situation;

1. Discretion is the better part of valour.

2. It is better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

3. There is no such thing as bad weather only poor choices in clothing.

You decide which 2 fit. I know I have.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

This is also the last we will comment on the topic at hand, as it is all totally nonsense and irrational...

How is it nonsense and irrational if he paid to demo the shafts for 7 days and only them for 6, and you responded with a threatening phone call? Who were you referring to about "escalating" it to? Of course this is all based on the presumption that OP is relaying facts as they actually happened, which he has also provided no evidence of.

As to your response to my post, I don't do cartwheels over someone willing to price match. Why would I bother? I'll give my money to the company who wasn't looking to gouge me in the first place. Why would I give you the chance to match them and earn the sale away from someone who was offering the exact same product at 50% less without having to be called out on it? Sounds like you are willing to charge way over market price to people who will go along with it, or don't do the comparison shopping, but then if someone points it out, you'll lower your price to match (because you are obviously still making a profit even at 50% less). Not to mention the fact that you openly admit your website and "some" prices are outdated and not aligned with current pricing. You are the ones running the business, so don't count on your customer to update you on current pricing and do your legwork for you, that's just lazy and poor business in my opinion.

Also, where are you buying factory adapters for $30? I can buy anything myself except Callaway/Titleist for under $25, and I'm not buying in the anywhere near the bulk you must be, so you must not be too good at negotiating pricing for product acquisition costs? And to be honest, the shaft I was looking at mentioned nothing about a free adapter or grip, so I guess I was going to miss out on that "Free Service" unless I called you out on that too?

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Update: Shaftshack hit me with a totally unwarranted $15 late fee. NOT HAPPY. Disreputable operation.

Details? Was your return late or not? From other complaints you've made about the whole process, it sounds like either you didn't ask enough questions (i.e. shaft length, adapter, etc.) and if shaft shack is going to suggest to people "HEY, TRY US" then you owe it to your fellow members to let us know if there was a problem or not, especially when you toss out the claim, "Disreputable operation"

Let's clear up these things, and make sure we can move forward in a positive direction.

1. All our demo shafts are cut to a playing length of 45 inches. And because we utilize the Club Conex adapter system for our demos, and because it is true that some OEM hosels can sit a cm higher or lower than others, this means that the final playing length of your club, with our demo shafts, might be a centimeter above or below 45 inches. But definitely not 44.75 inches like the OP stated.

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well, "paid for 7 and had them for 6" is a bit vague & I'm not aware of the T&C, but whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anyway, by my calculations, a centimeter is about .39 inches. So Chip's 44.75" is "tighter" than your claim of "within a centimeter of 45". Or am I mistaken ?

Secondly, while Chip's post *may* be nonsense (how could I really know ?) it certainly is NOT irrational.

And while I'm no lawyer, and I doubt you have ANYTHING legal to pursue because of this comments on this site, if you actually DID threaten to "escalate" via phone call, or any other means, about his comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :ninja:

Me ? I think I'd err on the side of caution,,,,,,,,,,,, but maybe that's just me. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Hi Duffer222,

We were kind of hoping to let this whole debacle sink into the abyss, but it has strangely been moved to this forum and not left in the Club Tech forum were it originated, aside from the fact that our experience with this customer, after the fact, was not pleasant for us by any means. Regardless, it looks like we're being called to the front of the classroom here...

So yes, Duffer222, you are very astute, as the OP did not ask any questions or read the Terms of Service he agreed to prior to placing his order, and in the interim obviously came back here to write some misleading things.

2. The OP made the claim that he was hit with an "unwarranted" late fee. Definitely not true. We keep detailed USPS tracking records of everything we send out and include tracked return shipping labels and that includes a required signature confirmation of all shipments. We are not about to post the tracking #s of the OP’s order here, as they would obviously then reveal his identity and home address. But let’s be clear, the real reason we are so anal about the method in which we send demo shafts in the mail, is to mitigate risk, and alleviate any burden away from the customer and give us enough legal documentation in the event we need to make an insurance claim or in the event the customer never returns the shafts to us so we can make a claim or send info to a collection agency, a sad and ugly truth of the rental industry. But we have to protect ourselves too. Look, we know no one likes late fees, but think of it this way, we are sending anywhere from $400-$4,000 worth of demo shafts in a single package/order and (1) we need to make sure it can be insured in the event it gets lost, damaged, or stolen through no fault of our own or yours. We surely don't want our customers being responsible for $1000s of equipment because they asked us to leave the package on their doorstep with out signature confirmation and it got stolen, or the Post Office damaged the shafts in the mailing process. And (2) Yes, we do charge late fees, as per the Terms and Conditions on our site. But let’s be clear again, our business is not centered around making money on late fees. Trust me when I say I would rather forego a $15 late fee over potentially loosing a customer who may be worth $1000s down the road and lots of good word-of-mouth advertising. But we have to stick to our guns on this policy, otherwise we are prone to a few bad apples taking advantage of the system and making our service unreliable for others. You see, more often than not, we have many other customers waiting for the return of a demo that has already been checked out. So the late fee serves as deterrent and helps motivate customers to be timely and ultimately respectful of those in the queue. Regardless, the OP could have called us in advance, and told us he was going to be late in sending the package back and needed an extra day or asked for an extension or volunteered to pay the pro-rated overtime. But he obviously did none of that, instead he decided to take his frustrations to the internet...

Look, I wish we could have all the demos shafts in the world, and did not have to rely on people retuning things on time, but that would make ShaftShack a charity, and not a business. And while the OP is entitled to his opinion, we disagree with him calling us a “disreputable operation.” You know, it’s funny, but running ShaftShack.com is a lot like checking out books at your local library. Everybody has to play by the rules if the community is going to benefit from the service.

Ultimately, my brothers and I created ShaftShack.com to help solve a small niche problem of an imperfect system by empowering passionate golf enthusiasts interested in experiencing the world’s best equipment by giving them the tools they need to definitively answer the questions at hand. Especially golfer’s who do not have easy access to these high-end products and/or for those who believe that golf is played in the real world and products need to be tested outside under real conditions and not just on a simulator. Is this business unorthodox? Yes! Is it slightly disruptive? Yes! Will it make us rich…probably not. But it serves an unmet need, gives us a sense of purpose, has been really fun, frustrating at times, and rewarding, and for that we will continue against all adversity and bumps in the road to help those customers who see it the same way.

Sincerely,

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

You know that 1 cm is MORE than 1/4 inch, correct?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Pretty simple .. you slandered the company and to date have given no reason for why anyone should believe you. You must think we’re all stupid to believe that you’ve involved an attorney over a $15 late fee, but if you have, well, then really who’s the stupid one? Pretty simple to determine how long you had the shafts based on UPS tracking info, so someone in this thread is lying.

That’s a shame, I’m sure many of us were hoping to get a decent review of Shaft Shack, and unfortunately all you’ve given us is, well, pretty much just a laugh and more questions.

Thanks for nothing except the laugh.

Well. Boy. This thread has gotten generally nasty. Such attitude oozing out all over the place.

So much hostility over a late fee and a shaft playing length issue.

I can’t believe the shaft length is even a topic of conversation. The shafts play longer in some brands and shorter in others because of the universal tip. That’s as clear as it can be. 1/4 inch long or short of 45”? So what? It’s unavoidable.

Obviously they can’t change tips every time one goes out or have every shaft available with every different tip. Jeez.

Pretty simple .. you slandered the company and to date have given no reason for why anyone should believe you. You must think we’re all stupid to believe that you’ve involved an attorney over a $15 late fee, but if you have, well, then really who’s the stupid one? Pretty simple to determine how long you had the shafts based on UPS tracking info, so someone in this thread is lying.

That’s a shame, I’m sure many of us were hoping to get a decent review of Shaft Shack, and unfortunately all you’ve given us is, well, pretty much just a laugh and more questions.

Were you hoping for a "decent" review, or an "honest" one? Although I've never used their "Demo" service, I think me pointing out that at least some of their shafts available for purchase are at least double the cost of other reputable online distributors qualifies as an "honest review"? I have no ax to grind, never been burned by them, never even heard of them before this thread.

And to that, their only comeback has been:

1. They'll Price Match - sure they will, because it's still a profit for them, just not as HUGE a profit as it could've been

2. Our website and pricing are not up to date - that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about doing business with you through your outdated website! What else might be out of date on your website - hopefully not your ability to take secure credit card payment without being hacked? (Don't put any lawyers on me, I wasn't slandering you, because by your own admission your website needs some housekeeping)

3. You aren't taking into account the FREE $30 adapter we are giving you that you could buy yourself for under $25. (which wasn't advertised on the shaft I was looking at buying, so guess I would've lost out on that $30 perk if I didn't bring it to your attention?)

As Mark Cuban would say, "I'm not the guy your business model fits, so for that reason, I"m out". If your inventory was better I may consider, but just the casual browsing I did, it seems like less than half of shafts offered for sale are available for demo at any given time.

edit** Just noticed the Aldila RIP Alpha I mentioned earlier has been marked down to $79.99 on your website (but not the Beta or Gamma) - no thanks, I'll pay Golfworks the full $80.00 and waste that extra penny. Funny how you were able to get your website up to date so quickly on that one particular shaft I mentioned!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Damn Hallie, are you having a bad day or is this company really pissing you if that much?

It’s quite common for companies to use minimum advertised pricing. Will People’s is highly respected around here and he advertises most things at MAP prices suggested by his suppliers, but if you talk with him privately via email or Insta there’s always some room to bend on pricing, especially if you buy multiple items. WRXers always have a 10% “promo code” to use as well.

I’d personally never buy a shaft at retail pricing knowing there are a ton of other options, but some people have no issue with it. It certainly doesnt make SS a nasty company for advertising at full retail.

Hi Duffer222,

2. The OP made the claim that he was hit with an "unwarranted" late fee. Definitely not true. We keep detailed USPS tracking records of everything we send out and include tracked return shipping labels and that includes a required signature confirmation of all shipments. We are not about to post the tracking #s of the OP's order here, as they would obviously then reveal his identity and home address. But let's be clear, the real reason we are so anal about the method in which we send demo shafts in the mail, is to mitigate risk, and alleviate any burden away from the customer and give us enough legal documentation in the event we need to make an insurance claim or in the event the customer never returns the shafts to us so we can make a claim or send info to a collection agency, a sad and ugly truth of the rental industry. But we have to protect ourselves too. Look, we know no one likes late fees, but think of it this way, we are sending anywhere from $400-$4,000 worth of demo shafts in a single package/order and (1) we need to make sure it can be insured in the event it gets lost, damaged, or stolen through no fault of our own or yours. We surely don't want our customers being responsible for $1000s of equipment because they asked us to leave the package on their doorstep with out signature confirmation and it got stolen, or the Post Office damaged the shafts in the mailing process. And (2) Yes, we do charge late fees, as per the Terms and Conditions on our site. But let's be clear again, our business is not centered around making money on late fees. Trust me when I say I would rather forego a $15 late fee over potentially loosing a customer who may be worth $1000s down the road and lots of good word-of-mouth advertising. But we have to stick to our guns on this policy, otherwise we are prone to a few bad apples taking advantage of the system and making our service unreliable for others. You see, more often than not, we have many other customers waiting for the return of a demo that has already been checked out. So the late fee serves as deterrent and helps motivate customers to be timely and ultimately respectful of those in the queue. Regardless, the OP could have called us in advance, and told us he was going to be late in sending the package back and needed an extra day or asked for an extension or volunteered to pay the pro-rated overtime. But he obviously did none of that, instead he decided to take his frustrations to the internet...

Look, I wish we could have all the demos shafts in the world, and did not have to rely on people retuning things on time, but that would make ShaftShack a charity, and not a business. And while the OP is entitled to his opinion, we disagree with him calling us a "disreputable operation." You know, it's funny, but running ShaftShack.com is a lot like checking out books at your local library. Everybody has to play by the rules if the community is going to benefit from the service.

Ultimately, my brothers and I created ShaftShack.com to help solve a small niche problem of an imperfect system by empowering passionate golf enthusiasts interested in experiencing the world's best equipment by giving them the tools they need to definitively answer the questions at hand. Especially golfer's who do not have easy access to these high-end products and/or for those who believe that golf is played in the real world and products need to be tested outside under real conditions and not just on a simulator. Is this business unorthodox? Yes! Is it slightly disruptive? Yes! Will it make us rich…probably not. But it serves an unmet need, gives us a sense of purpose, has been really fun, frustrating at times, and rewarding, and for that we will continue against all adversity and bumps in the road to help those customers who see it the same way.

Sincerely,

Phil Weston

ShaftShack.com

You know that 1 cm is MORE than 1/4 inch, correct?

Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

The shortest a driver should play with our demos is 45 inches, and the longest 45.39 inches.

ShaftShack.com

Damn Hallie, are you having a bad day or is this company really pissing you if that much?

It’s quite common for companies to use minimum advertised pricing. Will People’s is highly respected around here and he advertises most things at MAP prices suggested by his suppliers, but if you talk with him privately via email or Insta there’s always some room to bend on pricing, especially if you buy multiple items. WRXers always have a 10% “promo code” to use as well.

I’d personally never buy a shaft at retail pricing knowing there are a ton of other options, but some people have no issue with it. It certainly doesnt make SS a nasty company for advertising at full retail.

I'm not having a bad day at all, and not pissed if at all by the this company as I never have (and never would going forward) dealt with this company. Someone asked for a review, and I did some simple online research and gave my review - sorry if that upsets you, wasn't my intention.

Point being, "full retail" for the shaft I was looking for is $80 at several other established online retailers, not $160. Also find it weird that the price dropped to $79.99 right after I made my post, even though "SS" can't keep up with with every little "pricing change they aren't aware of". I find it odd they could update their website that fast once called out on that one particular shaft (Aldila RIP Alpha), but somehow neglected to update the RIP Phenom, Beta, or Gamma at the same time. We aren't really onto talking full on MAP pricing on a shaft that's 9 years old are we? Come on man, you're better than that!

And I would buy a shaft at full retail if I knew it was exactly what fit me best and that was my only option, but I darn sure wouldn't buy it at TWICE retail!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I'm not having a bad day at all, and not pissed if at all by the this company as I never have (and never would going forward) dealt with this company. Someone asked for a review, and I did some simple online research and gave my review - sorry if that upsets you, wasn't my intention.

Point being, "full retail" for the shaft I was looking for is $80 at several other established online retailers, not $160. Also find it weird that the price dropped to $79.99 right after I made my post, even though "SS" can't keep up with with every little "pricing change they aren't aware of". I find it odd they could update their website that fast once called out on that one particular shaft (Aldila RIP Alpha), but somehow neglected to update the RIP Phenom, Beta, or Gamma at the same time. We aren't really onto talking full on MAP pricing on a shaft that's 9 years old are we? Come on man, you're better than that!

And I would buy a shaft at full retail if I knew it was exactly what fit me best and that was my only option, but I darn sure wouldn't buy it at TWICE retail!

I’m not personally upset by your posts. I just don’t understand the level of irritation that seems to be in them.

I’d bet they’ve just essentially forgotten about some of the older stock that Doesn’t get checked out much or hasn’t sold recently.

It doesnt seem to me to be a reason to deride them. It seems trivial to me. No problem though. We just aren’t viewing it the same way,

Were you hoping for a "decent" review, or an "honest" one? Although I've never used their "Demo" service, I think me pointing out that at least some of their shafts available for purchase are at least double the cost of other reputable online distributors qualifies as an "honest review"? I have no ax to grind, never been burned by them, never even heard of them before this thread.

And to that, their only comeback has been:

1. They'll Price Match - sure they will, because it's still a profit for them, just not as HUGE a profit as it could've been

2. Our website and pricing are not up to date - that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about doing business with you through your outdated website! What else might be out of date on your website - hopefully not your ability to take secure credit card payment without being hacked? (Don't put any lawyers on me, I wasn't slandering you, because by your own admission your website needs some housekeeping)

3. You aren't taking into account the FREE $30 adapter we are giving you that you could buy yourself for under $25. (which wasn't advertised on the shaft I was looking at buying, so guess I would've lost out on that $30 perk if I didn't bring it to your attention?)

As Mark Cuban would say, "I'm not the guy your business model fits, so for that reason, I"m out". If your inventory was better I may consider, but just the casual browsing I did, it seems like less than half of shafts offered for sale are available for demo at any given time.

edit** Just noticed the Aldila RIP Alpha I mentioned earlier has been marked down to $79.99 on your website (but not the Beta or Gamma) - no thanks, I'll pay Golfworks the full $80.00 and waste that extra penny. Funny how you were able to get your website up to date so quickly on that one particular shaft I mentioned!

They can ask for whatever price they want. I understand you not wanting to shop there, but not discussing it to this length like they committed a crime by asking for a price above what you see elsewhere. Do you walk into every Golf Galaxy and complain that they aren't matching the lowest prices on the Internet?

For all we know the other retailers you are mentioning could be using those lower prices as a loss leader, need to unload inventory fast or are just willing to operate on lower margins.

Even if ShaftShack is overpriced. Oh, well. What's the big deal?

Jag - don't see how stating facts is deriding, but whatever. Thought this was a place (and especially DOND) to discuss "Deals", give opinions of what is a "No Deal".

Straightshot - I fully understand free market economy. And you obviously didn't read too thoroughly, or you'd know how I feel about price matching. And we are talking about a nine year old shaft in my reference, not something being used as a loss leader or Golfworks needing to unload inventory fast.

Why has this been moved back into the equipment forum where it started, when it originally was moved to DOND?

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Jag - don't see how stating facts is deriding, but whatever. Thought this was a place (and especially DOND) to discuss "Deals", give opinions of what is a "No Deal".

Straightshot - I fully understand free market economy. And you obviously didn't read too thoroughly, or you'd know how I feel about price matching. And we are talking about a nine year old shaft in my reference, not something being used as a loss leader or Golfworks needing to unload inventory fast.

Why has this been moved back into the equipment forum where it started, when it originally was moved to DOND?

What I mean is...Posting is an odd thing. Sometimes posts “sound” a certain way to the reader.

Your posts in this thread have a certain angry tone to them. Like you’re personally angry at the company. If that’s what you intended, no problem. You feel strongly about it. That’s cool. Its a forum. That’s what we do.

You and nearly every other regular on WRX knows I’m pretty opinionated and I can be a bit blunt sometimes. Every once in a while I go back and look at a thread a little later and I cringe just a little bit, like I may have have been a bit harsh.

Just throwing it out there to consider. No biggee.