2019 HSBC Women's World Championship Feb 28 - Mar 03

Argonne69

Sung Hyun out of the gate quickly in her 2nd round, -2 after 4 holes. Inbee has also picked up a shot, while Yu is +1 after 2 holes.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knee height is such an awkward level. Unless you have arms like Kevin Durant (ie can tie your shoes without bending over) it's just a funny motion - bend down and your knee starts moving down too. Seems like waste to theigh height would work much better, at least logistically. Know they want to eliminate the placements so maybe that would still cause an issue.

Nope. I'm 67 years old with bad knees and have no problem whatsoever making a drop from knee height. And neither do the other guys I play with who are similar age.

Bottom line, if you can still tee your ball up without assistance, you can make this drop with zero difficulty.

Any professional golfer, male or female, who tries to act like this is difficult is simply making a total stupid a** fool of themselves.

Good for you and your buddies.

Maybe the photos are taken at awkward moments but the ones with Spieth in particular look strange to me. And I'm not even a big fan of his / think he's somewhat of a whiner, but I think it is awkward and don't really know what it accomplished. I can drop a ball at knee height by bending my back forward - not sure why I want to do this vs. standing straight up and holding an arm out.

No one claimed the new drop was a "physical obstacle," which is what you seem to be making it out to be though. The rule could be to lie down flat on the ground and hold the ball 6 inches above the grass too. I assume you'd say this is fine if you can walk the course and get out of bed.

Also, your list sentence is just not needed. I would "dislike" this if possible.

doesn't the LPGA have rules about shouting over 80? I recall Wie ended a round years ago with "injury" while en-route to a 80 plus score. Could this be a similar situation? pardon my ignorance

It's called the 88 Rule. It's not for LPGA members. He is an article on the 2007 Wie incident.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/88-rule-was-looming-when-wie-withdrew

Wie says she wasn’t thinking about the LPGA’s 88 rule, which stipulates that any non-LPGA player (Wie was there on a sponsor’s exemption) who doesn’t break 88 in a round is not allowed to finish the tournament or play in any other tournaments for the rest of the season.

Very nice leaderboard, I think anybody up to -2 has a chance with 36 holes left. Nelly I think is running out of gas, 3 countries in 3 weeks probably has her on fumes right now. Ingee is having a nice week, see how she holds up over the weekend and Imbee is simply amazing she just shows up and does damage. Kinda shocked At So Yeon and Brooke's performances, So Yeon just seems a little off in all aspect of her game. Brooke is much easier to pinpoint, she's +6 on the par 5's without a birdie all week (very out of the norm) if she had just par'd them she'd be 3 off the lead, but bad weeks happen I guess. Lexi been a bit of a mess since the start of the season. Well I've already mushed 2 players as being my picks, lets see if I can make three, I'm cheering for Sung Hyun Park for the win, risky pick she seems to be hanging on the razor's edge, she's getting away with it so far I'm hoping it keeps up or she puts together round(s) and shoots something really low on the weekend.

Very nice leaderboard, I think anybody up to -2 has a chance with 36 holes left. Nelly I think is running out of gas, 3 countries in 3 weeks probably has her on fumes right now. Ingee is having a nice week, see how she holds up over the weekend and Imbee is simply amazing she just shows up and does damage. Kinda shocked At So Yeon and Brooke's performances, So Yeon just seems a little off in all aspect of her game. Brooke is much easier to pinpoint, she's +6 on the par 5's without a birdie all week (very out of the norm) if she had just par'd them she'd be 3 off the lead, but bad weeks happen I guess. Lexi been a bit of a mess since the start of the season. Well I've already mushed 2 players as being my picks, lets see if I can make three, I'm cheering for Sung Hyun Park for the win, risky pick she seems to be hanging on the razor's edge, she's getting away with it so far I hoping it keeps up or she puts it together round(s) and shoots something really on the weekend.

Definitely a good leaderboard through 36. I was thinking -4 (maybe -3) was the cutoff for having a chance given how many good players are there. I guess a lot will depend on whether Amy comes back at all.

Inbee is amazing. I'll cheer for either her or Minjee this weekend.

Lexi didn't look like she was having any fun on Thursday. On the range and even the good shots she didn't seem too happy. Granted, the Inbee/Ryu pairing probably wasn't great for her - those two are like best friends.

Also interesting that the scores don't seem as low as the last two years (when they switched courses). Obviously, the tournament isn't over yet but so far the low round is a 68 (by many). It has been relatively dry here the last week or so, which is probably why (although I don't remember the prior conditions exactly).

Also interesting that the scores don't seem as low as the last two years (when they switched courses). Obviously, the tournament isn't over yet but so far the low round is a 68 (by many). It has been relatively dry here the last week or so, which is probably why (although I don't remember the prior conditions exactly).

Greens are really firm and fast and causing chaos out there for many, it's really tough to go clean for all 18 and mistake can really hurt, there lots of doubles or higher by the players. I think other years we've had much softer conditions but these greens are so firm and fast even if you hit your spot the ball wants run which makes it really tough for player that don't have much spin on their shots.

Knee height is such an awkward level. Unless you have arms like Kevin Durant (ie can tie your shoes without bending over) it's just a funny motion - bend down and your knee starts moving down too. Seems like waste to theigh height would work much better, at least logistically. Know they want to eliminate the placements so maybe that would still cause an issue.

Nope. I'm 67 years old with bad knees and have no problem whatsoever making a drop from knee height. And neither do the other guys I play with who are similar age.

Bottom line, if you can still tee your ball up without assistance, you can make this drop with zero difficulty.

Any professional golfer, male or female, who tries to act like this is difficult is simply making a total stupid a** fool of themselves.

I don't like the new knee high drop rule, and it's got nothing to do with physical ability. I think it should have been, "no lower than knee height". i.e. specifying a range, with a lower limit. One of philosophies of the new rules was to make the rules less picky over trivialities that have nothing to do with a player's ability to get the ball around a golf course. The very fact that people in this thread have mentioned a drop by Minjee, and that it has provoked a discussion about a technicality, shows that the rule does not work as it should. A player gains no advantage from dropping from height (I would think, the lower the better, for the player), so why penalise someone from dropping from higher?

I think Suzanne's pregnant or maybe has delivered by now. No telling really.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The point of lowering the drop height was to reduce the number of times the ball rolled out of the drop area, leading to placement of the ball. Not only would it speed up play by eliminating the number of redrops, but it would retain the randomness of the drop. If they allowed a range of drop heights up to shoulder height, the rule change would have been pointless. C'mon, it's not rocket science. Knee height is knee height.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Wow, I don't recall a round in which the top players had so many bogies, as well as birdies. The birdies were certainly out there, but the bogies were lurking right behind. Combine the wind and the firm conditions, and that was about as tough as one could get.

'Very nice round by Amy to manage only one bogie for her round. 'Same with Jodi. Aza and Lydia managed to get around with no dropped shots.

Lol. Inbee doing Inbee things. Incredible.

Wow, I don't recall a round in which the top players had so many bogies, as well as birdies. The birdies were certainly out there, but the bogies were lurking right behind. Combine the wind and the firm conditions, and that was about as tough as one could get.

'Very nice round by Amy to manage only one bogie for her round. 'Same with Jodi. Aza and Lydia managed to get around with no dropped shots.

Lol. Inbee doing Inbee things. Incredible.

No reason to LOL at that--it's what Inbee does. I know my crush Jerry Foltz says that about her a lot, but I'm sure others do as well.

Feeling pretty smug about my Amy Olson pick. By saying that, I've just doomed her for the weekend.

How long has it been since Aza was above Carlota on a leaderboard?

Actually, it wasn't that long ago. Aza finished T6 in Australia two weeks ago, ahead of Carlota who finished T27.

Aza finished T5 at the Vic Open. She's been playing much better in this early part of the season.

Actually, it wasn't that long ago. Aza finished T6 in Australia two weeks ago, ahead of Carlota who finished T27.

Aza finished T5 at the Vic Open. She's been playing much better in this early part of the season.

A top ten this weekend will pass her total for 2018. I`m glad she`s playing well.

Clearly, I haven't been paying attention. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. Aza has a way of flying under the radar. She isn't the only player capable of the feat.

Fire Ants lol Never been bit by one but I hear it hurts.

Yeah they suck. Firs time it happened to me someone stopped and asked for directions and I walked onto grass. Figured out it was a fire ant hill about 20 seconds later. Shoes and socks came off really fast.

Then I was bitten 2x within a week on the course.

Not fun, not fun at all.

Seems like there might be some better scores out there today. SHP off to the fast start again.

I'm thinking a SHP/Ariya/Minjee final round pairing / shootout would be great (top 3 in world).

Also think it would be cool to see Inbee win (just show up and win) or see Amy Olson get it done.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of writing off Lydia and Ingee at this point. Still possible but going to need something great from here to the finish.

Does anyone know why every single player no matter what nationality are wearing long sleeves in 90F heat? Ariya is wearing a heavy pullover and most of the women are sweating like crazy. Looks excruciating.

They’re wearing sun sleeves. Protects you from the UV rays. It’s over 90 degrees in Singapore.

Right. Good sun sleeves are actually cooler than wearing no sleeves, as they help wick away the sweat.

Impressive rounds by the penultimate group today. I was most surprised by Jodi's round, especially her (suspect) putting. 'Great lag putting today, and she made every one of the knee knockers that she tends to miss. Jodi and Ariya were both bogie free.

Jin Young seems to have the firepower to chase down the leader tomorrow if she puts up another mid-60's round. The players at -7 really have their work cut out for them. I don't really see Ariya or Minjee shooting worse than -3, so a 64 would be needed to hoist the trophy.

Nice bounce back by Brooke today. After a meh 71 yesterday, she managed 8 birdies today, along with 3 bogies.

In Gee has really turned into an enigma. She plays solid golf in the toughest of conditions, and yet stumbles when birdies are dropping like crazy. Her 75 today was the highest round of any player in the top 30.

Danielle with an 81 today. I'm betting Ollie has a few good stories to tell over drinks this evening.

After a decent finish last week, Muni is really struggling. She has work to do this year if she wants to keep her card.

Ariya is looking like a machine again, I think it will be a shootout between Ariya and Minjee. I'll give everyone up to -8 the best chance of stealing one, but looking at the pinsheet I think it gonna be a tougher test again and I'm not sure what the wind is gonna do today so that can increase the difficulty too. I would throw SHP in the mix with a chance to win but unfortunately for her the back 9 exists.

There were some nice rounds yesterday but also some crooked scores too, this track seems like you don't wanna be off even by just a bit or it will take your lunch. Brooke had a nice round, I usually run through various stats with her but this week it's a little simpler IMO, play the par 5's under par and imagine that you shoot a 67 (she still bogied one) lol. Nelly also had a sneaky good round as did Lydia. Imbee struggled a bit on the back but she'still having a great result IMO. So Yeon also had a great bounce back round.

Should be a great final round, with the possibility of a big number by anyone at any hole should keep it interesting. The coverage tonight starts at 10:30 but with this crew covering the event, I realize i don't have to tune-in til 11:15, the point at which they will actually show the first live golf shot lol.

Ah I am sorry to see Michelle's injury still haunting too. :( Little worried about the long term prognosis now, hope her wrist can really mend.

Man oh man, I feel a little like last week again. Hoping Minjee can pull it off while facing a top player. I like Ariya, but I'm really hoping for Minjee to get a full actual win for her consistent efforts. You can do it Minjee!