2019 Lotte Championship Apr 17 - 20

Argonne69

Watch out for Carlota and Jin Young as well. Both are capable of going low in the final round when trailing by a handful. Bogies on the final hole by Brooke and Nelly could be pivotal.

'Weird round by Minjee. One eagle and 17 pars? She's certainly in the hunt, but could easily have had the lead.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @pmcuk said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > And a Nelly, Brooke and Minjee final parring is gonna be a great treat.

>

> Makes Minjee look old at 23 this year!

>

The year of 1996 (Minjee), 97 (Brooke) and 98 (Nelly) and 99 (Hye Jin Choi, KLPGA) are represented.

Throw in another 99 (Nasa Hataoka) and 2000 (A Yean Cho, KLPGA), and we've a group of surging youth; all tour winners.

The 2001 (Yealimi Noh, Yuka Saso, Yuka Yasuda) and 2002 (Lucy Li) are also waiting in the wing.

> @"North Texas" said:

> As far as what I think went wrong, I think the biggest factor is most likely she simply did not have the drive and mentality that is needed to dominate. And I think her parents were probably a factor as well.

>

How can someone be the next Tiger without the drive and mentality. That's crazy talk. In my opinion you got fooled into thinking that Michelle Wie is/was something more than she actually is. She exhibited well in pro tournaments as a youth, yes. But she never dominated any level of competition. Her one big win was the USGA Publinks. Michelle's preteen resume is not that spectacular. Plenty of young girls golfers show promise at an early age. You ever heard of Lucy Li. You don't remember a 14-year old Lydia Ko. Young Lexi mixed it up with the pros too.

I can't believe I'm in an argument in 2019 about Michelle Wie's childhood potential. Not that there's anything wrong with it I guess. But right now she is engaged to be married, struggling with chronic injury and seems to have one foot out the door. It's probably over, in other words.

• Like 1

> @legitimategolf said:

> I got censored for writing 'pr3-teen'. If they want to ban me, I won't fight it. I'm willing to be a martyr. That's just ridiculous. How else am I supposed to refer to that age period between childhood and teenagedom. It's not an offensive word for crying out loud. Neither is f*nny for that matter.

Lil monsters?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @18majors said:

> Jin Young Ko may be LPGA's best ball striker; but Brooke Henderson is probably the best driver of the ball.

> Brooke isn't as long as Sung Hyun Park, but she's so much more reliable.

> It's fun to watch these group of top players, week in and week out.

At the beginning of April, Sung Hyun was ranked #1 in total driving. Brooke was #1 at the end of 2018. If I recall correctly, Brooke was a bit spotty at the start of this season, but she seems to have cured whatever was ailing her in the past few weeks.

I agree with the comment made that Brooke is a lot like Rory on the tee. When a player is comfortable with a driver, let it rip. I'm curious if she's hit the driver gripped at the end? That extra 3 inches could be good for 20 to 30 more yards.

Brooke is definitely taking a page out of the PGA Bomb & Gouge book this week, as there really is no rough out there.

A couple of those corner-cutters on the back 9 worked out great.

I forgot what hole, but it was near the end of the round (maybe one of Minjee's drives) where when the ball stopped you could only see 2/3rds of it, apart from that not even Li's ball in the hazard was in any appreciable rough.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Jin Young Ko may be LPGA's best ball striker; but Brooke Henderson is probably the best driver of the ball.

> > Brooke isn't as long as Sung Hyun Park, but she's so much more reliable.

> > It's fun to watch these group of top players, week in and week out.

>

> At the beginning of April, Sung Hyun was ranked #1 in total driving. Brooke was #1 at the end of 2018. If I recall correctly, Brooke was a bit spotty at the start of this season, but she seems to have cured whatever was ailing her in the past few weeks.

>

> I agree with the comment made that Brooke is a lot like Rory on the tee. When a player is comfortable with a driver, let it rip. I'm curious if she's hit the driver gripped at the end? That extra 3 inches could be good for 20 to 30 more yards.

>

Brooke continued to chase distance this off season, she got a new driver and added some swing speed, so that's probably why her driver is a little touchy right now and her stats are just a bit off. I agree I would love for her to not grip down, but at this point in her career I see her point of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol. I bet though in her late 20's or early 30's we will probably see the change.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Watch out for Carlota and Jin Young as well. Both are capable of going low in the final round when trailing by a handful. Bogies on the final hole by Brooke and Nelly could be pivotal.

>

> 'Weird round by Minjee. One eagle and 17 pars? She's certainly in the hunt, but could easily have had the lead.

I suspect that Ariya and Eun-Hee Ji will be more "threats" as Jin Young and Carlotta are a little too far back -- but then again sometimes "weird" things can happen. I love this final grouping of Minjee, Nelly and Brooke -- the future of the LPGA is "NOW" with these young stars and winners. I agree - 18 could prove pivotal!

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > Jin Young Ko may be LPGA's best ball striker; but Brooke Henderson is probably the best driver of the ball.

> > > Brooke isn't as long as Sung Hyun Park, but she's so much more reliable.

> > > It's fun to watch these group of top players, week in and week out.

> >

> > At the beginning of April, Sung Hyun was ranked #1 in total driving. Brooke was #1 at the end of 2018. If I recall correctly, Brooke was a bit spotty at the start of this season, but she seems to have cured whatever was ailing her in the past few weeks.

> >

> > I agree with the comment made that Brooke is a lot like Rory on the tee. When a player is comfortable with a driver, let it rip. I'm curious if she's hit the driver gripped at the end? That extra 3 inches could be good for 20 to 30 more yards.

> >

>

> Brooke continued to chase distance this off season, she got a new driver and added some swing speed, so that's probably why her driver is a little touchy right now and her stats are just a bit off. I agree I would love for her to not grip down, but at this point in her career I see her point of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol. I bet though in her late 20's or early 30's we will probably see the change.

She's not "gripping down" though is she?

That's her stock set up, as we all know. That's all just dead-ground - for lack of a better description - be no different that saying a player who does hold the club near the but end should play longer clubs. Apropos of nothing - maybe Minjee should lengthen her clubs ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > As far as what I think went wrong, I think the biggest factor is most likely she simply did not have the drive and mentality that is needed to dominate. And I think her parents were probably a factor as well.

> >

>

> How can someone be the next Tiger without the drive and mentality. That's crazy talk. In my opinion you got fooled into thinking that Michelle Wie is/was something more than she actually is. She exhibited well in pro tournaments as a youth, yes. But she never dominated any level of competition. Her one big win was the USGA Publinks. Michelle's **** resume is not that spectacular. Plenty of young girls golfers show promise at an early age. You ever heard of Lucy Li. You don't remember a 14-year old Lydia Ko. Young Lexi mixed it up with the pros too.

>

> I can't believe I'm in an argument in 2019 about Michelle Wie's childhood potential. Not that there's anything wrong with it I guess. But right now she is engaged to be married, struggling with chronic injury and seems to have one foot out the door. It's probably over, in other words.

Just for clarification, I carefully and deliberately chose the world "could" when I first posted about what Wie. I never said she WAS as good as Tiger as the truth is she never came close. And no, she never dominated any level of competition but I wonder just how much of that was due to her parents wanting to "market" her more than they cared about her becoming the dominant woman golfer of her time. I think that's why her resume is not as spectacular as it could have been. And while I agree that plenty of young girls show promise at an early age, I'm just not sure that any nhave show the promise that Michelle teased us with. And I'm not sure that you can point to a one that accomplished any of the following.

Won the 2003 Women's U S Amateur Public Links Championship becoming the youngest winner ever of an ADULT championship.

Later that summer, made the cut at the Women's U S Open, making her the youngest player to ever do so.

At age 14, she shot 68 in the 2004 PGA Sony Open missing the cut by 1 shot, while beating 47 men including 4 major champions and tying another 15 including 3 other major champions. Again, that's at 14.

At age 15, she tied for 1st in a 36 hole qualifier for the MEN'S U S Amateur Publinks Championship and then made it through the 36 hole stroke to qualify for match play where she made it all the way to the Quarterfinals before being beat by the eventual champion.

At age 16, finished in 4th place at the LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship which is a major.

Yeah, Nicole lit it up. So Yeon is having a great round, currently 4 under after 9 holes. Otherwise no fireworks by the leaders. Still plenty of golf to play.

Oy. Rough day for Mi Hyang. She started the day at even par, and finished at +7. Ouch.

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > Jin Young Ko may be LPGA's best ball striker; but Brooke Henderson is probably the best driver of the ball.

> > > Brooke isn't as long as Sung Hyun Park, but she's so much more reliable.

> > > It's fun to watch these group of top players, week in and week out.

> >

> > At the beginning of April, Sung Hyun was ranked #1 in total driving. Brooke was #1 at the end of 2018. If I recall correctly, Brooke was a bit spotty at the start of this season, but she seems to have cured whatever was ailing her in the past few weeks.

> >

> > I agree with the comment made that Brooke is a lot like Rory on the tee. When a player is comfortable with a driver, let it rip. I'm curious if she's hit the driver gripped at the end? That extra 3 inches could be good for 20 to 30 more yards.

> >

>

> Brooke continued to chase distance this off season, she got a new driver and added some swing speed, so that's probably why her driver is a little touchy right now and her stats are just a bit off. I agree I would love for her to not grip down, but at this point in her career I see her point of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol. I bet though in her late 20's or early 30's we will probably see the change.

I don't follow either of these two super closely, but I always felt like they are very similar off the tee (both distance and accuracy). It also seems like if any of the Top 10 player bring their A game for 4 rounds, they'll probably win that week. But I also feel like these two are very dangerous over 1 round (like today for Brooke). If they are hot/their full game is on, you can play great but you will probably lose.

They both also seem to get frustrated/rattled fairly easily if things aren't going their way (probably will get better over time).

I'm still somewhat amazed at the distance numbers this year. It's like everyone (not literally but a lot of players) has added 5-10 yards. I ignored it for the first tournaments, but the sample size is growing.

I think the increase in driving distance is due to the dry conditions they've been playing in.

Of course, it could be that the equipment manufacturers aren't kidding about the distance gains. Yeah, right.

I know it's not the 4th of July, but where are the fireworks? Whole Lotta nothing I say.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > As far as what I think went wrong, I think the biggest factor is most likely she simply did not have the drive and mentality that is needed to dominate. And I think her parents were probably a factor as well.

> > >

> >

> > How can someone be the next Tiger without the drive and mentality. That's crazy talk. In my opinion you got fooled into thinking that Michelle Wie is/was something more than she actually is. She exhibited well in pro tournaments as a youth, yes. But she never dominated any level of competition. Her one big win was the USGA Publinks. Michelle's **** resume is not that spectacular. Plenty of young girls golfers show promise at an early age. You ever heard of Lucy Li. You don't remember a 14-year old Lydia Ko. Young Lexi mixed it up with the pros too.

> >

> > I can't believe I'm in an argument in 2019 about Michelle Wie's childhood potential. Not that there's anything wrong with it I guess. But right now she is engaged to be married, struggling with chronic injury and seems to have one foot out the door. It's probably over, in other words.

>

>

> Just for clarification, I carefully and deliberately chose the world "could" when I first posted about what Wie. I never said she WAS as good as Tiger as the truth is she never came close. And no, she never dominated any level of competition but I wonder just how much of that was due to her parents wanting to "market" her more than they cared about her becoming the dominant woman golfer of her time. I think that's why her resume is not as spectacular as it could have been. And while I agree that plenty of young girls show promise at an early age, I'm just not sure that any nhave show the promise that Michelle teased us with. And I'm not sure that you can point to a one that accomplished any of the following.

>

> Won the 2003 Women's U S Amateur Public Links Championship becoming the youngest winner ever of an ADULT championship.

> Later that summer, made the cut at the Women's U S Open, making her the youngest player to ever do so.

> At age 14, she shot 68 in the 2004 PGA Sony Open missing the cut by 1 shot, while beating 47 men including 4 major champions and tying another 15 including 3 other major champions. Again, that's at 14.

> At age 15, she tied for 1st in a 36 hole qualifier for the MEN'S U S Amateur Publinks Championship and then made it through the 36 hole stroke to qualify for match play where she made it all the way to the Quarterfinals before being beat by the eventual champion.

> At age 16, finished in 4th place at the LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship which is a major.

>

I took your first post to mean that had the game come through like we thought it would, she'd have been IT for the LPGA. She's arguably the most marketable personality ever on that tour. So yeah, if she'd come through with the game we all thought she had back then, hell yes she could have been the LPGA's Tiger.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

> @Gautama said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > As far as what I think went wrong, I think the biggest factor is most likely she simply did not have the drive and mentality that is needed to dominate. And I think her parents were probably a factor as well.

> > > >

> > >

> > > How can someone be the next Tiger without the drive and mentality. That's crazy talk. In my opinion you got fooled into thinking that Michelle Wie is/was something more than she actually is. She exhibited well in pro tournaments as a youth, yes. But she never dominated any level of competition. Her one big win was the USGA Publinks. Michelle's **** resume is not that spectacular. Plenty of young girls golfers show promise at an early age. You ever heard of Lucy Li. You don't remember a 14-year old Lydia Ko. Young Lexi mixed it up with the pros too.

> > >

> > > I can't believe I'm in an argument in 2019 about Michelle Wie's childhood potential. Not that there's anything wrong with it I guess. But right now she is engaged to be married, struggling with chronic injury and seems to have one foot out the door. It's probably over, in other words.

> >

> >

> > Just for clarification, I carefully and deliberately chose the world "could" when I first posted about what Wie. I never said she WAS as good as Tiger as the truth is she never came close. And no, she never dominated any level of competition but I wonder just how much of that was due to her parents wanting to "market" her more than they cared about her becoming the dominant woman golfer of her time. I think that's why her resume is not as spectacular as it could have been. And while I agree that plenty of young girls show promise at an early age, I'm just not sure that any nhave show the promise that Michelle teased us with. And I'm not sure that you can point to a one that accomplished any of the following.

> >

> > Won the 2003 Women's U S Amateur Public Links Championship becoming the youngest winner ever of an ADULT championship.

> > Later that summer, made the cut at the Women's U S Open, making her the youngest player to ever do so.

> > At age 14, she shot 68 in the 2004 PGA Sony Open missing the cut by 1 shot, while beating 47 men including 4 major champions and tying another 15 including 3 other major champions. Again, that's at 14.

> > At age 15, she tied for 1st in a 36 hole qualifier for the MEN'S U S Amateur Publinks Championship and then made it through the 36 hole stroke to qualify for match play where she made it all the way to the Quarterfinals before being beat by the eventual champion.

> > At age 16, finished in 4th place at the LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship which is a major.

> >

>

> I took your first post to mean that had the game come through like we thought it would, she'd have been IT for the LPGA. She's arguably the most marketable personality ever on that tour. So yeah, if she'd come through with the game we all thought she had back then, **** yes she could have been the LPGA's Tiger.

Nailed it. Thanks.

Very surprised that Nelly only birdied one of the par 5s today.

Congrats to Brooke. I had her down for two wins again this year so nice to see her get on the board.

Another tough round for someone that cheers for Minjee. She's not my favorite player but I've liked watching her get a little better each year. Given she was a shot back and the talent above/around I only thought it was like a 10-20 percent shot to win but still something she could have won with a great round. The start of the year was interesting for her but she seems stuck in the very very good but not quite great category for now.

Solid play by Brooke. 'Just had to avoid the mistakes.

> @agolf1 said:

> Congrats to Brooke. I had her down for two wins again this year so nice to see her get on the board.

>

> Another tough round for someone that cheers for Minjee. She's not my favorite player but I've liked watching her get a little better each year. Given she was a shot back and the talent above/around I only thought it was like a 10-20 percent shot to win but still something she could have won with a great round. The start of the year was interesting for her but she seems stuck in the very very good but not quite great category for now.

Minjee and Lexi are the two perennial top players who've yet to ascend to No. 1; they better do it quick before Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Lucky 6 and many young guns start to take hold.

Brooke putted well at Ko Olina; with her drive off the tee, she's tough to beat when her putter cooperated. With her win, she's neck to neck with Lexi and Inbee and will be either No. 6, 7 or 8 in world ranking.

Jin Young was mentally flat the entire four days, a reward for her hot start to the season. Will she contend again soon, or will she leave more opportunities to her fellow players?

Good win for Brooke -- the winds seemed to snuff out any chance for "fireworks", but it is Hawaii so the winds should be expected. It was great to see Brooke, Nelly and Minjee in the final grouping, with Ariya nipping at their heels. More benign conditions would definitely have resulted in more birdies and more charges. Question is -- can Brooke or rather will Brooke win again this season?