2019 Lotte Championship Apr 17 - 20

Argonne69

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Congrats to Brooke. I had her down for two wins again this year so nice to see her get on the board.

> >

> > Another tough round for someone that cheers for Minjee. She's not my favorite player but I've liked watching her get a little better each year. Given she was a shot back and the talent above/around I only thought it was like a 10-20 percent shot to win but still something she could have won with a great round. The start of the year was interesting for her but she seems stuck in the very very good but not quite great category for now.

>

> Minjee and Lexi are the two perennial top players who've yet to ascend to No. 1; they better do it quick before Nelly Korda, Lucky 6 and many young guns start to take hold.

> Brooke putted well at Ko Olina; with her drive off the tee, she's tough to beat when her putter cooperated. With her win, she's neck to neck with Lexi and Inbee and will be either No. 6, 7 or 8 in world ranking.

> Jin Young was mentally flat the entire four days, a reward for her hot start to the season. Will she contend again soon, or will she leave more opportunities to her fellow players?

>

I'm sure the rolex ranking folks are hoping Brooke goes ahead of Carlota Cinganda. It would be tough to take the rankings seriously. when a player with 5 wins during the 2 year rolling cycle is behind a player with no wins during the 2 year rolling cycle lol

• Like 1

> @agolf1 said:

> Congrats to Brooke. I had her down for two wins again this year so nice to see her get on the board.

>

> Another tough round for someone that cheers for Minjee. She's not my favorite player but I've liked watching her get a little better each year. Given she was a shot back and the talent above/around I only thought it was like a 10-20 percent shot to win but still something she could have won with a great round. The start of the year was interesting for her but she seems stuck in the very very good but not quite great category for now.

I just think Minjee has to get better at closing, easier said than done cause that's a between the ears sorta thing. She's a multiple winner, so she knows how to do it, this is probably one of those sports psychologist type things that could help you get over that hump. I think Minjee's game stacks up with anyone tour and she can be one of the best players on tour this generation.

Great to see Brooke win again, and also to get the repeat.

This gives her 8 wins, and ties her with Mike Weir, George Knudson and Sandra Post as Canadians with the most professional tour wins. At age 21, I think she's got plenty of time left to move ahead of them.....

As for changing her grip on her driver to maybe get more yards? She's already one of the longest on Tour (7th). None of the 6 who are longer than her have as many wins. That's working very well for her right now, it would be the last thing I'd change.

Her putter had gone awol for a bit, but she made some important ones to save par down the stretch, so it's good to see that moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

Congrats to Brooke! That was less climatic than even Jin Young's ANA win. She never stumbled. Stooch you must have a wide smile this Easter!

I'm coming around to liking Brooke more. She's got the game, plus very good-person personality that I admire. Also I know it gets tiresome hearing the commentators keep saying it, but Brittany caddying is super cool. Brooke's ranking did point out that the calculating system seems a little wonky. Doesn't seem like you should disincentive choosing to play more.

So is the driver on the fairway really a good idea?

Felt bad for Eun-Hee a couple of points, like the field-goal through the trees and that uphill roll-back putt, when she got to watch it literally come right back to her feet. Then felt bad for Nelly at the very end. Thought nothing was going to happen by this point and it literally rolls back, right past her, and splash. I'd be ready to ragequit.

I was cheering for Minjee of course. Got pretty depressed when that drive went out of bounds. They talked about how she said she wanted to be more aggressive on Saturday. But I thought Minjee's game always was to generally be more steady, like to usually lay up? Seemed like most of her troubles were that just about no putt attempt went in all day. It's frustrating, she can do it, just have to keep hoping one of these contentions will turn into a win.

So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

In Gee did better this time out as well. Wish we could see more, even if not in contention, just to get a better idea what's going on with her and others.

Sorry to see Mi Hyang's mean last day. Hopefully she kept in good spirits.

Muni's barely missed cut at the last moment was a heart-breaker. Too bad about Michelle on her home ground too. Bet she had to play whether the wrist was ok or not. Now there's someone with the golf-life balance question. Hope getting married does good things for her.

My comment about Brooke gripping up was more or less tongue in cheek. Like Ariya and her 3 wood, she knows her swing and what's best for her game. It would be interesting to see her give a go on an open hole with little trouble. Like Emily Tubert at the World Long Drive.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Mellow said:

> So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

Something is up with So Yeon. When Honma dumped her she was a top ten player. So far no one else has signed her. Maybe the manufacturers know something we don't.

M

congrats to Brooke for a very convincing win!!

I was waiting for anyone to make any kind of move but no one really delivered and Brookes played solid--almost Tigerlike as in the Masters..

am also quite impressed with her flexibility considering her longish swing...but hey she's only what----22??

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

The issues facing both Lydia Ko and In Gee Chun became crystally clear after watching Brooke Henderson this past week.

Their lack of clubhead speed leads to not only short off the tee but also little or no spins. Because of that, they're more susceptible to winds, roughs, hard and fast greens.

In Gee's clubhead speed must be faster in 2015 when she won US Women's Open. With her current clubhead speed, the odds are low that she can reproduce her signature uphill shot at 178 yard 17th when she stopped the ball 4 feet from the hole.

Either they can miraculously increase their clubhead speed or their victories will be few and far between.

> @Mellow said:

> Congrats to Brooke! That was less climatic than even Jin Young's ANA win. She never stumbled. Stooch you must have a wide smile this Easter!

>

> I'm coming around to liking Brooke more. She's got the game, plus very good-person personality that I admire. Also I know it gets tiresome hearing the commentators keep saying it, but Brittany caddying is super cool. Brooke's ranking did point out that the calculating system seems a little wonky. Doesn't seem like you should disincentive choosing to play more.

>

> So is the driver on the fairway really a good idea?

>

> Felt bad for Eun-Hee a couple of points, like the field-goal through the trees and that uphill roll-back putt, when she got to watch it literally come right back to her feet. Then felt bad for Nelly at the very end. Thought nothing was going to happen by this point and it literally rolls back, right past her, and splash. I'd be ready to ragequit.

>

> I was cheering for Minjee of course. Got pretty depressed when that drive went out of bounds. They talked about how she said she wanted to be more aggressive on Saturday. But I thought Minjee's game always was to generally be more steady, like to usually lay up? Seemed like most of her troubles were that just about no putt attempt went in all day. It's frustrating, she can do it, just have to keep hoping one of these contentions will turn into a win.

>

> So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

>

> In Gee did better this time out as well. Wish we could see more, even if not in contention, just to get a better idea what's going on with her and others.

>

> Sorry to see Mi Hyang's mean last day. Hopefully she kept in good spirits.

>

> Muni's barely missed cut at the last moment was a heart-breaker. Too bad about Michelle on her home ground too. Bet she had to play whether the wrist was ok or not. Now there's someone with the golf-life balance question. Hope getting married does good things for her.

Yeah it was enjoyable to watch especially with the 3 shot lead holding up all the way to the end. I won't lie you get a little nervous when your faves aren't getting the wins but it's ebbs and flows in golf. The competition is so tough, that a player has to be clicking on all cylinders. This week for Brooke her putter showed up, when that happens she'll be challenging for wins against any field. I predict the same will happen for Ariya, Minjee and So Yeon at some point this season, their games will click for 4 rounds and cause of their pedigree playing well they will most likely come away with the win.

> @18majors said:

> The issues facing both Lydia Ko and In Gee Chun became crystally clear after watching Brooke Henderson this past week.

> Their lack of clubhead speed leads to not only short off the tee but also little or no spins. Because of that, they're more susceptible to winds, roughs, hard and fast greens.

> In Gee's clubhead speed must be faster in 2015 when she won US Women's Open. With her current clubhead speed, the odds are low that she can reproduce her signature uphill shot at 178 yard 17th when she stopped the ball 4 feet from the hole.

> Either they can miraculously increase their clubhead speed or their victories will be few and far between.

>

>

I definitely feel like Lydia's game was exposed at the ANA, given the course setup. I still feel like she is close enough right now to have a good shot at winning a tournament this year. Either conditions that are more favorable or she just needs to drive it well for a week. That being said, winning once a year is also borderline lucky (the stars align for one week), and I'm much less optimistic on her chances of competing at the top level vs. my thoughts earlier in the year.

I don't have many exact data points on In Gee's irons recently. However, it's hard to imagine that her driver is not optimized for however she's swinging, so it seems like a fair assumption that her speed is down. I think the shot you reference was a 6-iron. On the telecast, she also hit 6-iron on another 170+ yard par 3. We obviously don't know the wind or how the ball was flying that day, but these seem like very healthy numbers (especially 4 years ago). Also, in 2016 at Evian she seemed to be carrying the ball 220-230 yards with her driver. Given the weather that week, the ball must not have been flying very far, and I would think those swings were consistent with a low 250s average for the year (on typical courses where they are getting decent run out).

I was looking at Minjee's stats as well. In 2015 when she came on to the tour, she was just under 260 yards and ranked 17th in driving distance (distinct advantage). Through 2018, her average drive distance was essentially flat (down a yard and change) and she'd fallen to 37th. This year, her distance is up (comments on courses/weather above) but she's still ranked 40th (not a disadvantage but blending in with a lot of top players). We've mentioned these other two a lot but also kind of strange she hasn't found 5+ yards after getting a bit stronger/technique.

Eventually, there will be someone with 10 year staying power at/near the top. I mentioned one time earlier that in 2014-2015 Lydia was essentially on par with Inbee and Stacy Lewis in the distance category. At the time, Lexi was one of the few bombers that could do anything else consistently (Jessica Korda had a decent year in 2014). But it does seem like the youth is really moving the distance needle here and many of these (favorite) players could be at a noticeable disadvantage quickly.

> @18majors said:

> Their lack of clubhead speed leads to not only short off the tee **_but also little or no spins. Because of that, they're more susceptible to winds, roughs, hard and fast greens._**

Less spin on the ball is desirable in the wind ... assuming spin of approximately 2000 rpm with a driver ... OR higher rpm *if the ball flight is straight* .

The irons into the green on windy days are somewhat compromised in the spin department -- especially with a tail wind.

In more benign conditions, I'd agree with you 100% on approaching the greens.

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Their lack of clubhead speed leads to not only short off the tee **_but also little or no spins. Because of that, they're more susceptible to winds, roughs, hard and fast greens._**

>

> Less spin on the ball is desirable in the wind ... assuming spin of approximately 2000 rpm with a driver ... OR higher rpm *if the ball flight is straight* .

> The irons into the green on windy days are somewhat compromised in the spin department -- especially with a tail wind.

>

> In more benign conditions, I'd agree with you 100% on approaching the greens.

>

>

It isn't easy to make a living as a pro golfer without clubhead speed.

Low speed ball is no match against gusty winds; In Gee's tee shot went 330 yards at downwind #5, but went 190 yards at headwind #14.

Low clubhead speed is not going to get the balls out of roughs with authority.

Most of all, It can't stop the balls at hard and fast greens with enough spins.

> @onekday said:

> > @Mellow said:

> > So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

>

> Something is up with So Yeon. When Honma dumped her she was a top ten player. So far no one else has signed her. Maybe the manufacturers know something we don't.

> M

>

>

So Cameron McCormick works with both So Yeon and Jordan Spieth. According to a poster in the What's Up With Jordan Spieth thread, he has made the same change to both of their driver swings by flattening their swings and both have pretty much seen their driving accuracy stats suffer. Note that I have no clue whatsoever about the validity of this supposed swing change for either of them. I just thought it was interesting that 2 pro golfers working with the same instructor are having noticeable struggles with the driver.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @onekday said:

> > > @Mellow said:

> > > So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

> >

> > Something is up with So Yeon. When Honma dumped her she was a top ten player. So far no one else has signed her. Maybe the manufacturers know something we don't.

> > M

> >

> >

>

> So Cameron McCormick works with both So Yeon and Jordan Spieth. According to a poster in the What's Up With Jordan Spieth thread, he has made the same change to both of their driver swings by flattening their swings and both have pretty much seen their driving accuracy stats suffer. Note that I have no clue whatsoever about the validity of this supposed swing change for either of them. I just thought it was interesting that 2 pro golfers working with the same instructor are having noticeable struggles with the driver.

I personally think McCormick gives WAY too much information for someone to process. Watching him on TV and hearing from other pros that know him in North Texas (not you NT! LOL) that he's not keeping it simple and gives his pros way too much to think about and run through.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

When Brooke becomes a more consistent putter, she will reach #1

Fun to see a Cdn gal do this well

Shocking her World Ranking is so low

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> When Brooke becomes a more consistent putter, she will reach #1

> Fun to see a Cdn gal do this well

> Shocking her World Ranking is so low

Commentators said yesterday the math doesn't work in her favor because she plays TOO much.

And congrats to her. It's quite the achievement to be so young and just putting her head down and playing.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Brooke's short game is also suspect at times. Good putting can help a lot, but it can't save one if they're outside of 8 ft too often.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > When Brooke becomes a more consistent putter, she will reach #1

> > Fun to see a Cdn gal do this well

> > Shocking her World Ranking is so low

> Commentators said yesterday the math doesn't work in her favor because she plays TOO much.

>

> And congrats to her. It's quite the achievement to be so young and just putting her head down and playing.

>

The commentators don't know what they're talking about. One could argue players don't play as well, if they play too often; but there isn't any mathematical relationship in rankings.

Brooke's issue is that she either won or she finished outside of top 3. In the past 24 rolling months; she won 5 times but had only 4 additional top 3 finishes.

The lion share of ranking points are awarded to top 3 players. The difference between solo third and solo tenth is 26%, more than the difference between solo tenth and missing cut, 14%.

• Like 1

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @onekday said:

> > > > @Mellow said:

> > > > So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

> > >

> > > Something is up with So Yeon. When Honma dumped her she was a top ten player. So far no one else has signed her. Maybe the manufacturers know something we don't.

> > > M

> > >

> > >

> >

> > So Cameron McCormick works with both So Yeon and Jordan Spieth. According to a poster in the What's Up With Jordan Spieth thread, he has made the same change to both of their driver swings by flattening their swings and both have pretty much seen their driving accuracy stats suffer. Note that I have no clue whatsoever about the validity of this supposed swing change for either of them. I just thought it was interesting that 2 pro golfers working with the same instructor are having noticeable struggles with the driver.

> I personally think McCormick gives WAY too much information for someone to process. Watching him on TV and hearing from other pros that know him in North Texas (not you NT! LOL) that he's not keeping it simple and gives his pros way too much to think about and run through.

>

I know Spieth has had him as a coach forever and maybe that's how things work best for him, but just watching his coach on the GC shows he was doing had me cringing at times, but had a lot of other folks excited about how he does things and presents information. It is surprising, if Jordan is making a change what wasn't working when he was winning a lot, given they've been together so long - is he chasing distance? Some other aspect they decided needed a change?

> @"North Texas" said:

> So Cameron McCormick works with both So Yeon and Jordan Spieth. According to a poster in the What's Up With Jordan Spieth thread, he has made the same change to both of their driver swings by flattening their swings and both have pretty much seen their driving accuracy stats suffer. Note that I have no clue whatsoever about the validity of this supposed swing change for either of them. I just thought it was interesting that 2 pro golfers working with the same instructor are having noticeable struggles with the driver.

Here is an article about Ryu's swing changes after moving to McCormick.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/randall-mell/ryu-making-her-own-legend

She started to work with McCormick in 2016, and her stats in 2016 and 2017 were modestly better than 2015. Her Driving Accuracy was really down (at least ranking) in 2018 and her GIR also slipped a bit, although it was still very high. She won once in 2018 and had other chances at the Women's PGA / British Open, so I think the year was still generally viewed as OK even if things were starting to regress.

Personally, at least from the outside I think it's hard to only blame the coach, as she was playing fine (if not better) in 2016-2017 (the same for Spieth - no one wanted to shoot the coach through 2017). I don't know if she is doing something new/different in the last 18 months or so. Clearly, her game has fallen off dramatically this year (with some signs of life last week) - it could be off for any number of reasons.

> @onekday said:

> > @Mellow said:

> > So Yeon worked her way into a top 10! That's great, even if it was not her usual form, driving at least. There was talk about her earlier, changing her golf-life balance. I guess a slide in ranking is just going to inevitably come with that :( Don't think you can be fighting it out at the top without total dedication in today's killer field. This makes me think of I.K. a bit, pursuing a whole life over golf. I am glad if it will make So Yeon happier and a better life, but sad not to see her as much. And if she really does go KLPGA and less plain LPGA, I'm going to cry in my soup. How am I supposed to face life with no So Yeon.

>

> Something is up with So Yeon. When Honma dumped her she was a top ten player. So far no one else has signed her. Maybe the manufacturers know something we don't.

> M

>

I've noticed that So Yeon is sporting a rather large "rock" on her ring finger. Now, that does not usually mean much in Asian cultures, but that, coupled with comments made by Judy Rankin during some broadcasts about So Yeon looking to balance her life with outside factors, plus similar comments made by So Yeon herself, it seems to me that perhaps in her own, understated way, she was telegraphing that she has gone through a major life event such as an engagement or marriage perhaps. Its not to say that a woman cannot do both -- be a professional player and have a significant other/relationship, but perhaps there is a bit of a distraction that she is experiencing. As far as Honma goes, perhaps her sponsorship deal was a short one and they decided to pour major dollars into Justin Rose's sponsorship. Regardless, So Yeon is a class person and player -- if she decides to focus strictly on golf, she will do well.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > So Cameron McCormick works with both So Yeon and Jordan Spieth. According to a poster in the What's Up With Jordan Spieth thread, he has made the same change to both of their driver swings by flattening their swings and both have pretty much seen their driving accuracy stats suffer. Note that I have no clue whatsoever about the validity of this supposed swing change for either of them. I just thought it was interesting that 2 pro golfers working with the same instructor are having noticeable struggles with the driver.

> Here is an article about Ryu's swing changes after moving to McCormick.

> https://www.golfchannel.com/article/randall-mell/ryu-making-her-own-legend

>

> She started to work with McCormick in 2016, and her stats in 2016 and 2017 were modestly better than 2015. Her Driving Accuracy was really down (at least ranking) in 2018 and her GIR also slipped a bit, although it was still very high. She won once in 2018 and had other chances at the Women's PGA / British Open, so I think the year was still generally viewed as OK even if things were starting to regress.

>

> Personally, at least from the outside I think it's hard to only blame the coach, as she was playing fine (if not better) in 2016-2017 (the same for Spieth - no one wanted to shoot the coach through 2017). I don't know if she is doing something new/different in the last 18 months or so. Clearly, her game has fallen off dramatically this year (with some signs of life last week) - it could be off for any number of reasons.

>

Her drop in driving accuracy since she started working with McCormick pretty much mirrors Spieth's drop in driving accuracy during the same time. Looking at it, it's kind of eerie how similar they are. Especially both of their numbers for 2019.

> @Stooch said:

> Yeah it was enjoyable to watch especially with the 3 shot lead holding up all the way to the end. I won't lie you get a little nervous when your faves aren't getting the wins but it's ebbs and flows in golf. The competition is so tough, that a player has to be clicking on all cylinders. This week for Brooke her putter showed up, when that happens she'll be challenging for wins against any field. I predict the same will happen for Ariya, Minjee and So Yeon at some point this season, their games will click for 4 rounds and cause of their pedigree playing well they will most likely come away with the win.

So true about ebb and flow. I experience watching a lot as a state of hoping! Things are so fierce now I really regard one win in a season as a good season for just about anyone.

About So Yeon, she really has given a lot of herself to the game and tour for many years. Been such a great face and ambassador with all her poise and behavior. Above and beyond a normal member. Can't fault her if she's wanting to spend some more time on the rest of life. Very earned but still bittersweet.

So is engagement stuff ... I'm still not emotionally ready to face that ... ahh

> @"North Texas" said:

> Her drop in driving accuracy since she started working with McCormick pretty much mirrors Spieth's drop in driving accuracy during the same time. Looking at it, it's kind of eerie how similar they are. Especially both of their numbers for 2019.

>

Yeah, I've wondered if they are both working on something new / coach is pushing something. Or, they both just aren't playing as well as they were previously (it's only two people). Unfortunately, I'm not able to really judge how their swings compare to each other and if they've changed a lot very recently (or who changed first, etc).

> @agolf1 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > Her drop in driving accuracy since she started working with McCormick pretty much mirrors Spieth's drop in driving accuracy during the same time. Looking at it, it's kind of eerie how similar they are. Especially both of their numbers for 2019.

> >

> Yeah, I've wondered if they are both working on something new / coach is pushing something. Or, they both just aren't playing as well as they were previously (it's only two people). Unfortunately, I'm not able to really judge how their swings compare to each other and if they've changed a lot very recently (or who changed first, etc).

>

>

McCormick has both of them swinging flatter.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > Her drop in driving accuracy since she started working with McCormick pretty much mirrors Spieth's drop in driving accuracy during the same time. Looking at it, it's kind of eerie how similar they are. Especially both of their numbers for 2019.

> > >

> > Yeah, I've wondered if they are both working on something new / coach is pushing something. Or, they both just aren't playing as well as they were previously (it's only two people). Unfortunately, I'm not able to really judge how their swings compare to each other and if they've changed a lot very recently (or who changed first, etc).

> >

> >

>

> McCormick has both of them swinging flatter.

He had her swinging flatter in 2017 too (at least compared to before she started working with him). That year, she was ranked 22nd in driving accuracy, 2nd in GIR, won twice, and was 2nd on the money list. The question is what is she doing differently now (or in the last 18 months when her stats started to slide)? Is it her swing (another change from the coach), work ethic/drive, or something else? I have no idea.

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> I've noticed that So Yeon is sporting a rather large "rock" on her ring finger. Now, that does not usually mean much in Asian cultures, but that, coupled with comments made by Judy Rankin during some broadcasts about So Yeon looking to balance her life with outside factors, plus similar comments made by So Yeon herself, it seems to me that perhaps in her own, understated way, she was telegraphing that she has gone through a major life event such as an engagement or marriage perhaps. Its not to say that a woman cannot do both -- be a professional player and have a significant other/relationship, but perhaps there is a bit of a distraction that she is experiencing. As far as Honma goes, perhaps her sponsorship deal was a short one and they decided to pour major dollars into Justin Rose's sponsorship. Regardless, So Yeon is a class person and player -- if she decides to focus strictly on golf, she will do well.

>

>

Secret marriage huh. I am all for wild speculation but I have a hard time with that one. Normal people don't usually get into secret marriages and So Yeon seems fairly normal to me. Not the secret marriage type at least. I could be wrong though, I admit. I usually am, around here.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > Her drop in driving accuracy since she started working with McCormick pretty much mirrors Spieth's drop in driving accuracy during the same time. Looking at it, it's kind of eerie how similar they are. Especially both of their numbers for 2019.

> > > >

> > > Yeah, I've wondered if they are both working on something new / coach is pushing something. Or, they both just aren't playing as well as they were previously (it's only two people). Unfortunately, I'm not able to really judge how their swings compare to each other and if they've changed a lot very recently (or who changed first, etc).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > McCormick has both of them swinging flatter.

> He had her swinging flatter in 2017 too (at least compared to before she started working with him). That year, she was ranked 22nd in driving accuracy, 2nd in GIR, won twice, and was 2nd on the money list. The question is what is she doing differently now (or in the last 18 months when her stats started to slide)? Is it her swing (another change from the coach), work ethic/drive, or something else? I have no idea.

>

Jordan's drop off came several years after they starting making the changes as well so I don't really know either what is going on. Everything you read says that it takes 2 years or so for a swing change to begin to have a positive effect. Doesn't seemed to have happened with either So Yeon or Jordan. It seems to have affected both of them for the worse.