2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Forgiveness of 5w vs "players" 3h

Z1ggy16

> @Krt22 said:

> Im struggling with this spot as well. Honeymoon period with my M3 19* hybrid has wore off, going to go back to my F6 battler or 19* DI, while also looking for a compact 5W.

Update on this. Did a head to head with the F6 baffler and my U65, U65 stole the show. I had benched the U65 since I could also hook it, reshafted it with steel but that combo was not good for winter golf, now that it's warm it should be a nice 230-240 club. Currently hooking the F6 to high hell..literally high hell, launching great and then curving left 30-40 yards. I can crank it open but then it won't be much shorter than my 16.5HL M3. Hitting lasers with the U65 so it's back in the bag (for now)

Looking to try a M4 tour or F9 Tour 5W if I can find one cheap

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

callaway 5 deep. I need to get mine back in my bag

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @Krt22 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Im struggling with this spot as well. Honeymoon period with my M3 19* hybrid has wore off, going to go back to my F6 battler or 19* DI, while also looking for a compact 5W.

>

> Update on this. Did a head to head with the F6 baffler and my U65, U65 stole the show. I had benched the U65 since I could also hook it, reshafted it with steel but that combo was not good for winter golf, now that it's warm it should be a nice 230-240 club. Currently hooking the F6 to high ****..literally high ****, launching great and then curving left 30-40 yards. I can crank it open but then it won't be much shorter than my 16.5HL M3. Hitting lasers with the U65 so it's back in the bag (for now)

>

> Looking to try a M4 tour or F9 Tour 5W if I can find one cheap

I liked U65 quite a lot but the shaft it had was too light and too soft for me. Plus, I didn't love it off the deck that much. I'd be willing to give it a go again if I found one with like a Tensei Pro Blue 90TX in it or something.

So I got my Rogue 5w head in this weekend but didn't shaft it up yet. I noticed that reading on here, the hosel seems to be a .350 bore, while of course my shaft is .335. I dry fit the prepped shaft and it seemed to be fairly snug fit - very similar in fit to how my taper tip .355 steal shafts would fit into their hosel.

Am I okay to go without a shim here? I use the "Max Strength 2:1" epoxy by golf works, it's model #VB1033.

Given a hybrid and FW of similar loft, the hybrid would tend to launch a lower-spinning, somewhat flatter shot than the FW. In comparison, a higher-launching 5W likely would be easier to hit out of the rough than a 3H. (Clubhead speed is a big factor here. Longer hitters can often launch 3H out of rough OK.)

If you could do a side-by-side test, this would show you which you hit best.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My 3H, W/S FG Tour M3, cranked to 20* (from 21*), is very versatile and stays in the bag 95% of the time. I occasionally swap it out for an 18* 5W just to change things around. The 5W is about 5 yards longer and is slightly less workable (either way). The deeper face of the 3H gives me a bit more confidence over the ball, but I always have to be careful of the hook...it does have a tendency to want to go left if I don’t focus.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Hit the 5w today for the first time... Wow it's an absolute unit of a club. Seems much more forgiving than the hybrid but I must say... I think it will take a while to get used to the look. It looks huge compared to my smaller headed 3h. It looks quite a bit deeper too even though I don't really think it is. It seemed to be suuuper long too so honestly it might be too hot with only 18* loft... really wish I could bump it up to 19 or even 20. Still... it needs at least 4 or 5 rounds to really see how it will play.

I really wish the M5 wasn't a million bucks because I finally got my hands on one today at the local range and it's much smaller than the Rogue head and seems to sit a hair more open which I prefer. But.. still a 12HC over here so no need really to spend that kind of money right now.

> @Krt22 said:

> You can snag m3 fairways for not too much coin. I play a 3HL and just added the M3 5W to replace the M3 3H. Need to get a shaft for it, then itll go into the testing rotation

Oh yeah, solid call.. totally forgot about M3. If the Rogue ends up being a little too draw biased or it's ridiculously long, I'll probably be gravitating toward that, or maybe something like G410 hybrid. The 818H2 is really good when I middle it, but if I bottom it even just a touch or jeebus fobid the toe... forget it, I lose so much speed/distance. Bottoming the Rogue I seemed to only loose a little bit of speed and I got a little extra spin which helped keep the ball in the air instead of nose diving.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update for archives sake for anybody reading this in the future now that I've gamed it a few times:

This rogue 5w is definitely a beast, it's almost too long. My 19* 818h2 playing 18.25* will carry around 230-235 on good hits and roll to 240 or so. This 18* Rogue from what I can tell on course is getting out to about 255 on good hits, which is honestly border line too hot. My 3w only goes about 265 maybe 270 if I happen to get a low spinner.

Now I have about a 35 yard gap between the 5w and 4i which is a little too much for my liking. However, and this is a big however... it's insanely forgiving compared to the hybrid. Anything except for an utter garbage strike will still get up in the air and go a good ways. Bad strikes with the 818H2 were punished extremely bad.

For now the Rogue is staying and if I need to hit a shot around 225 or so, I'll just need to choke up a little bit or try to hit a big hook with the 4i. Luckily 225 yard shots seem to only pop up once a round, if that. Depends on the course.

I've been seeing a bit of the same gap at around the 225 with my 4i and 5W. The Apex Pros that I game are based around a 45PW, but I think I'll weaken all of the lofts 1 degree to allow me to, if needed, go 46/52/58 at the bottom and add a 3i, or keep the 3i out and go 46/50/54/58. That's always an option too, if you find yourself in that gap there more than you want...

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

Ping Anser PLD

• 2 weeks later...

Have had more time with the Rogue 5w and the honeymoon period is starting to fade just a little bit. I notice with my "real" golf balls on course, this club tends to really want to move the ball in a draw pattern (even though with junk range balls flight is mostly straight) and I find myself having to alter my swing to keep the ball going straight. I'm afraid when I need to pull this club but the shot shape calls for a fade.

My natty flight is a draw, and when I end up with a club that also wants to draw it's usually not a great pairing. Club is incredible when I need to pound one about 245-250 from left to right (I'm LH) but I'm starting to see a big two way miss as I'll hook 1 or 2, then my brain says no stop that, then I dump one fore left.

I was much more consistent with my flight on the hybrid... but it was losing me a lot of distance with my miss hit, where the Rogue can still get out there with my typical toe miss. Obvious choice is to just "Get good!" but that's much easier said than done. Still rocking about a 12Hc.

Going to give Rogue 1 or 2 more rounds because it has produced some good shots, but I may think about an M3 5w next or just go back to the 818H2.

Carry a 4h you can adjust loft on and a 4w/5w you can do the same with, then you can adjust during the season for conditions or for courses

I also see a lot of pros now carrying "strong 7 woods," .... Including Fleetwood (19* loft or so), very versatile if you also carry a hybrid

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Thing is, I really love my LTD 3w (14.5*, neutral face) and I have it pretty dialed it, I don't want to change the setting, or get rid of it. I use it off the tee a decent amount and it's a machine... 260-265 ezpz soft draw or high fade when needed (goes shorter though). My low round of the year came with me exclusively using it off the tee. Not sure why I don't do that more often to be honest.

I'm already a pretty high ball hitter, a 4h which I've used in the past goes insanely high... my P790 4i still goes pretty high but doesn't spin excessively. I actually thought about a strong 7w over this 5w because the thing goes too far when I give it a normal 10/10 swing. It's a solid club longer than the 818H2 and I don't need a 250 yard club really... the 3w is going 265 so the next yardage I need is about 235, then I have the 4i around 210-215, 5i around 190-195.

Probably just sticking the 818 back in the bag and focus on ball striking. When hit well, it's really hard to beat the flight and it goes the right yardage. If I can get and maintain like a 7-8HC at some point, I'll go back to TXG for a fitting (or maybe True Spec in NYC). I only use the 3h/5w slot 2 maybe 3 shots per round... I'd rather focus any funds on lessons or getting my putter 100% dialed in because that's still a sore spot.

K so the Rogue is out. Played 18 (well... 16, ran out of daylight) and started the first 3 holes off with the 5w. 2 sweeping hooks, followed me trying to over correct, then I hit a straight push into a hazard, expecting the ball to hook about 30 yards like before. I don't have that issue with any of my irons, my 3w or the hybrid.

Probably won't even bother with the M3 5w for now. Going back to the 818H2, but I'm also now considering a GAPR lo. Played the rest of the Par 4/5's with my P790 4i and I probably played the remainder of the round at 4 over, which is good for me. Making me consider playing the 6100 yard tees just using a 2i; poke the ball up there around 225 or so, hit an iron on or near the green, get up and down. I wouldn't mind shooting 79's or 80's on a regular basis that way.