Jump to content

Honma TW-X Irons


jbhawx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone got their hands on and tried the new TW-X Irons (not the TW-U version)? I know they just hit stores on the 17th, so it may still be early. BTW, this is one set of irons from a Japanese brand that isn't sold in Japan (not yet anyways) so I am unable to try them out in person. I'm looking to see how they compare to TW747V and/or TW747P (or even the TW747Vx, which I don't think is available in the states).

 

Thanks for the inputs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @NailedIt said:

> I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

 

Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hit them.today. Nooooo way anything like g400 irons. Shorter blade length than p790, more like p760. Top line closer to p790 maybe a hair thinner, offset wasn't that bad. I hit the 7 iron and 4 iron and I play 965 srixons. I wouldn't have any issue playing these 3-7, and 8-p in rose protos.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

 

>

 

> @Kuk said:

> > @NailedIt said:

> > I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

>

> Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

>

>

 

I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

COBRA F9 10.5  - Tour AD VR

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH 15.0  - Tour AD VR
HONMA TW717 21.0 - Vizard TA65

CALLAWAY X FORGED  13 - 4-PW - PXI

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50F/54F/58L- Hi Rev 2.0 / TOULON Chicago  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @mtex22 said:

>

> >

>

> > @**** said:

> > > @NailedIt said:

> > > I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

> >

> > Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

> >

> >

>

> I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

 

Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @mtex22 said:

> >

> > >

> >

> > > @**** said:

> > > > @NailedIt said:

> > > > I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

> > >

> > > Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

>

> Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

 

No blade length is short just a taller iron but all I saw in person was the 7 iron demo

 

COBRA F9 10.5  - Tour AD VR

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH 15.0  - Tour AD VR
HONMA TW717 21.0 - Vizard TA65

CALLAWAY X FORGED  13 - 4-PW - PXI

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50F/54F/58L- Hi Rev 2.0 / TOULON Chicago  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

 

ycuwnbieffey.jpeg

uydht8u7xcvg.jpeg

Here are some comps to my Maltby 7 iron:

 

nh8kkna8p75w.jpeg

yid0fbvsgf7p.jpeg

x1pe55yv78dh.jpeg

fg45ky4fwsb2.jpeg

 

  • Like 4

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @"Frisco Kid" said:

> I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

>

 

> x1pe55yv78dh.jpeg

> fg45ky4fwsb2.jpeg

>

 

Black heads on chrome shafts and chrome heads on black shafts...is this to preserve the yin-yang balance in your golf clubs? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @"Frisco Kid" said:

> > I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

> >

>

> > x1pe55yv78dh.jpeg

> > fg45ky4fwsb2.jpeg

> >

>

> Black heads on chrome shafts and chrome heads on black shafts...is this to preserve the yin-yang balance in your golf clubs? ;)

 

Applies to bags as well...

0xdkrl01g3qk.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 3

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played my first round with the TW X irons and shot a 79 (12 handicap). Performed well and they felt great. They’re at least a full club longer than my Maltby DBMs and about a half club longer than my Ping i200s...the Vizard graphite shafts are 85 grams and much lighter than what I’m used to but I’m quickly getting used to them. Hit some thin shots and some off the toe but they got good distance and weren’t penalizing so high marks for forgiveness. If I have any nitpicks in the clubs it would be they are very soft so they are already showing signs of bag chatter. I ended up ordering covers for them and it wasn’t a nuisance or time killer using them. Don’t know that I’d have purchased them at full retail of $1299 but a solid buy for what I got them for at under $800.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> @"Frisco Kid" said:

> Played my first round with the TW X irons and shot a 79 (12 handicap). Performed well and they felt great. They’re at least a full club longer than my Maltby DBMs and about a half club longer than my Ping i200s...the Vizard graphite shafts are 85 grams and much lighter than what I’m used to but I’m quickly getting used to them. Hit some thin shots and some off the toe but they got good distance and weren’t penalizing so high marks for forgiveness. If I have any nitpicks in the clubs it would be they are very soft so they are already showing signs of bag chatter. I ended up ordering covers for them and it wasn’t a nuisance or time killer using them. Don’t know that I’d have purchased them at full retail of $1299 but a solid buy for what I got them for at under $800.

 

Good thinking. I dont care what others say. I always get headcovers for forged irons for nice resale value in future. If you keep them well, you will be able to sell for what you paid for.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

How's everybody liking their TW X irons after a few months of playing? I saw these for the first time today at GG and hit them. Man do they perform well (on simulator)! I also hit and compared to the T200's, P790's, and HMB's. I'd say they're very simular in performance to the HMB's and P790's. Three things I did not care for about them though.......huge soles, moderate offset and topline. From the back/front they look great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Are these available in lefty? I seen the TXG review and Matt did have a lefty version, but no retailer offers lefty option?

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nvrmind.. they do offer just don’t have modus 120 in stock!! That being said.. any updates from guys playing these! I’m intrigued.. currently play 790/770 combo set! Comparisons wanted!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 RSM Classic - Discussion and Links
      2021 RSM Classic - Monday
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #1
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brett Drewitt - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Matt Wallace - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Josh Creel - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Ben Crane - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Justin Lower - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Adam Svensson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brendon Todd - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Webb Simpson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Kiradech Aphibarnrat - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Bill Haas - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Max Homa - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Nick Watney - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
      New Odyssey Tri Hot putters - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Pat Perez - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Tony Finau - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Kramer Hickok - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Nate Lashley - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Seamus Powers - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Dylan Frittelli - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      C.T. Pan - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Chase Koepka - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Branden Grace - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Marc Leishman - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Martin Laird - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Shane Lowery - WITB - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
      Cameron CT T-11 putter - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      New Graphite Design shafts - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron cover from 2021 ZOZO Championship - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Bettinardi covers - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron CT putters - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
       
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #3
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • APPLY NOW: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! 10 Testers Needed!
      L.A.B. Golf is choosing ten GolfWRX members to receive their MEZZ.1 putter early and put their brand new product to the test before reporting back to the community about what they see. The selected testers will be one of the first to experience the MEZZ.1 from L.A.B. GOLF, their newest Lie Angle Balanced design, ahead of it's January 2022 launch!
       
      About The L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Putter
      MEZZ.1 is our new mid-mallet putter that’s fully CNC machined from a billet of 6061 aircraft aluminum (body) and 303 stainless steel (midsection) to create our best-feeling — and we think best looking — putter to date. It includes 10 weights (eight on the bottom, two on the sides) that allow us to individually build each putter to a golfer’s exact specifications.
       
      How To Apply
      In a post below, answer the following questions.
       
      1. City, State?
      2. Handicap?
      3. What is your current putter?
      4. Have you ever used a L.A.B. Golf putter?
      5. Why do you want to review the MEAZZ.1 putter?
      6. Do you agree to participate in an ongoing testing thread, posting reviews and photos?
       
      That's it! @labgolf and GolfWRX will choose the testers in about 2 weeks! This testing event is for good-standing members in the USA only!
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 435 replies
    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 15 replies

×
×
  • Create New...