2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Posted this in the Wisconsin thread as well, but I know quite a few Chicago area golfers venture up to southern Wisconsin to play.

Heading up to southern Wisconsin to visit some friends.  I’m looking for some course recommendation along 90 between Janesville and Madison.  We’ve played Glen Erin in the past so looking for some new places to try out.

Thanks!

Ping G430 LST 9* -  Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 65
Titleist TSR2 15* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Titleist TSR2 18* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

17 hours ago, m052310 said:

Hello all. I'm moving to Buffalo Grove in a few weeks. Anywhere I need to be sure to play sooner than later (or avoid)?

Traditions at Chevy Chase in Wheeling is a nice course. It’s my brother in law’s home course. Nice layout and has alway been in good shape when I played out there with him. I like it more than the 2 Buffalo Grove courses. I’ve heard good things about Palatine Hills the last couple of years. Last time I was there it was pouring so I didn’t get a real good feel for it.

• Thanks 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

good info posted by others

I like Chevy chase

i don’t know how they fared with the big rain event though

no range 

I grew up playing twilight golf there in the 80’s with my dad and brother.

sunset valley is a quality muni

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Mt prospect is worth playing to see if you like it. 

Tighter course, but challenging green complexes to

test your ball striking, short game and putting.

• Thanks 1

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

23 hours ago, m052310 said:

Hello all. I'm moving to Buffalo Grove in a few weeks. Anywhere I need to be sure to play sooner than later (or avoid)?

where are you moving from?

TM TP5x

40 minutes ago, m052310 said:

Omaha-ish, Nebraska. But I've lived all over (former Navy).

Well, the course topography is gonna be what you’re familiar with. We don’t have hills. Every course in the area is a pretty easy walk. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 7/25/2022 at 10:57 PM, TheBear95 said:

We got over a month's worth of rain here in Grayslake in the span of 6 hours Friday night/Saturday morning. So, it's going to be wet.

Looks pretty dry in the extended forecast, so I would likely hold off on Stonewall until next week if you are able to.

Thank you all for the replies. I am actually right near Gurnee/Grayslake and it sounds like they got a bit less rain then the 5.5" we got at the house.

We went off at 9:20.  Course was soft in a few places, but not "wet".  Overall we had a good day and good conditions.  I really enjoy playing out there.

I will say there are a few places on some greens where the high spots were that were burned out, and a few tee boxes with the same issue.  The tee boxes were not as big a deal as they just moved to one of the others on those holes.  The areas on the greens appear to be where they were cut pretty close and the hot dry weather did a number on them.

The grounds guys were working to get the issues cleared up.  Again, thank you all for your input.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hammy2424 said:

Thank you all for the replies. I am actually right near Gurnee/Grayslake and it sounds like they got a bit less rain then the 5.5" we got at the house.

We went off at 9:20.  Course was soft in a few places, but not "wet".  Overall we had a good day and good conditions.  I really enjoy playing out there.

I will say there are a few places on some greens where the high spots were that were burned out, and a few tee boxes with the same issue.  The tee boxes were not as big a deal as they just moved to one of the others on those holes.  The areas on the greens appear to be where they were cut pretty close and the hot dry weather did a number on them.

The grounds guys were working to get the issues cleared up.  Again, thank you all for your input.

Yeah, things dried up pretty quickly. Good to hear your round wasn't greatly impacted.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I'm not one to brag about where I am playing, mostly because the courses I play are hardily noteworthy. However, that all changes tomorrow!

Teeing it up for the first time ever at the legendary Tanna Farms!!!

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

12 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I'm not one to brag about where I am playing, mostly because the courses I play are hardily noteworthy. However, that all changes tomorrow!

I'm going to work tomorrow, which is an upgrade. 

• Haha 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

24 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I'm going to work tomorrow, which is an upgrade. 

I feel left out here when I read the jokes about Tanna Farms and can't contribute because I never had the delight of playing it. 

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

2 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I feel left out here when I read the jokes about Tanna Farms and can't contribute because I never had the delight of playing it. 

... Like a nice box of wine, Tanna Farms is an acquired taste. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Shepherd’s was in great shape today

a little soggy in the fairways but that wasn’t an issue

TM TP5x

Tomorrow we play not one but two dumb Geneva housing development courses. Our maiden voyage to Tanna Farms followed by our second ever trip to MILF Creek. Friday we head to scenic Central IL for Lick Creek and Weaver Ridge. One of those golf days will have better courses than the other.  

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Milk creek was soaked on Monday, but is likely better now

a friend played it 

never played it or Tanna farms 

TM TP5x

12 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

You're going to be thoroughly disappointed if you are expecting a joke of a course 😉  It actually is not as bad as the reputation on here; PLENTY or worse courses in the suburbs.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Always bragging Bear.  Hope your warm up goes well, and there isn't another person on the practice green so you can use it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Tomorrow we play not one but two dumb Geneva housing development courses. Our maiden voyage to Tanna Farms followed by our second ever trip to MILF Creek. Friday we head to scenic Central IL for Lick Creek and Weaver Ridge. One of those golf days will have better courses than the other.  

Whoa...the Geneva double??? Now this is really something to brag about. 

I'm playing Turtle Bay on the north shore of Oahu, but that pales in comparison to the delights that you'll experience LD, and Bear. So jealous.  Not in the least.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Off the top of my head, I would play Tanna over Cog 1 and 3, Big Run, Cinder Ridge, Village Links GE, Mill Creek...It isn't THAT bad. It is just goofy. 

Mill Creek and Tanna are probably equals IMO. I haven't been on Mill in ages so I'm a bit fuzzy on that one.  Tanna is just dumb, the front 9 is basically a pitch and putt at 2800 yards and the back 9 is is miles long at 3600 which creatse a pace issue since people don't look at both 9's and just end up on the back tees.   They do stupid things to protect holes, like split the fairway so if you use a driver you end up in rough, it's even dumber whent hey do this on a 600 yard par 5 that isn't a two shot hole anyway.  On multiple par 4's they try to squeeze out the landing area's to make the hole play longer.  Then there's that par 4 on the back 9 that looks like an after though ...oh crap how do we make a 320 yard hole work in this space so they can't drive it.  Nevermind the fact that it starts out with an island green, which just tells you how weird the course is going to be.   It's all target golf, but it's not even good or well thought out target golf.  It somehow makes Arboretum Club look like one of the best courses in the state. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Mill Creek and Tanna are probably equals IMO. I haven't been on Mill in ages so I'm a bit fuzzy on that one.  Tanna is just dumb, the front 9 is basically a pitch and putt at 2800 yards and the back 9 is is miles long at 3600 which creatse a pace issue since people don't look at both 9's and just end up on the back tees.   They do stupid things to protect holes, like split the fairway so if you use a driver you end up in rough, it's even dumber whent hey do this on a 600 yard par 5 that isn't a two shot hole anyway.  On multiple par 4's they try to squeeze out the landing area's to make the hole play longer.  Then there's that par 4 on the back 9 that looks like an after though ...oh crap how do we make a 320 yard hole work in this space so they can't drive it.  Nevermind the fact that it starts out with an island green, which just tells you how weird the course is going to be.   It's all target golf, but it's not even good or well thought out target golf.  It somehow makes Arboretum Club look like one of the best courses in the state. 

Have never understood why they choose to stop the fairway.  That hole always plays into the wind as well, 600+ yards, not the most receptive green...just don't get it.

1 minute ago, DavePelz4 said:

Have never understood why they choose to stop the fairway.  That hole always plays into the wind as well, 600+ yards, not the most receptive green...just don't get it.

I don't understand it on any hole.  It's dumb to use that as a method to make a hole long when there's no space to make it long. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Tanna is truly the place where the 19th hole is the best designed.  Makes you feel like you're in Cheeseland. 

I read this as the 19th being the best hole on the course.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Lick Creek and Weaver Ridge today. We experienced an ominous sign that Lick Creek would be very tough and not at all what we generally face. While turning into the course, a wild turkey jumped out right in front of my car and I hit it square. It went flying over the windshield and there were dozens of feathers stuck in the grill of my car. Anyway, the course is not like anything in the Chicago area as the Illinois River Valley creates some big elevation changes. It was very firm so balls were bounding all over. However, the rough was super thick and wet because we were out at 7:00 AM and it hadn't been cut in a while. Therefore, anything not in the fairway was extra difficult and keeping it in a tight lie was easier said than done. Bear had a couple of drives hit the middle of the fairway yet end up bounding into a ravine. Holes 4-7 were very, very snug and had basically no room for error. Thankfully, from hole 8 on, it opened up and played more like a normal course, albeit one with a ton of doglegs. I had forgotten Lick Creek was a Larry Packard design. Man, he loves his dogleg par 4's and double dogleg par 5's. Ball striking was excellent but I couldn't buy a birdie putt. 33 putts is not ideal but given the fact that I'd never played there before, keeping the bogies to a minimum (4 total) and having no doubles was fine by me. 76. 

Weaver Ridge is a phenomenal piece of property and the new owners have already begun sinking money into it to restore the course to what it used to be. It's in the midst of a course-wide bunker renovation and every trap on the back nine was not yet ready for play. The entire 14th hole was closed because of the work being done, so only playing 17 holes kind of bugged me. However, with a men's league on the course when we finished, we couldn't go replay another par 4. While money is being sunk in, there is work to be done as the previous owner let the course, which is quite a hog to maintain, get away. The front is good but not great but the back is an outstanding layout. It is not, however, walkable, especially when being played as holes 55-72 as part of a "four courses in 33 hours" marathon. Bear and I were both perfectly fine with taking a cart. Pushing a Click Gear up all those switchbacks to get to the elevated tees looked like it would be a truly horrendous experience. Given the fact that we were in a cart I decided to go ahead and play from the tips. It's only an even 7000 yards and was much more wide open than Lick Creek. My ball striking was probably the best of the season, as I hit 15/17 greens, had two birdies (7 and 11) and had only one bogey (13). Given how well I was playing I had to assume I would have made par on 14. However, it does kind of annoy me that I have to make that assumption and can't just play the hole. Anyway, I shot a 71 to finish the trip on a solid note. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Kept it localish today with the Preserve.  What a great afternoon of weather, low winds, great temps. Course wasn't in the best shape today, had a lot of rough spots around the greens and bunkers needed sand for sure.  It looks like the rains from last week may have done dome damage to the fringe area from around the greens.  Tee, fairways and greens were all pretty solid tho, so as long as you kept the ball where it needed to be kept, you were fine.  Hopefully the weather will help recover some of those rough spots, it's such an incredibly scenic course, coming up 16-18 with a nice sunset was really something special.  No complaints on pace, 4:15 on a packed Saturday afternoon is a win.

I was really rolling today through 8 holes, being even par.  Hole 9 once again got me, as it usually does when I Try to get a bit agressive.  Instead of just playing my usual 4iron/4iron I tried to sneak a three wood in there and dumped it in the water.  I managed to turn that into a double.  Proceeded to also double 12 and 13 and capped it off with a bogey bogey finish for an 80.  Hared to really do anything when you put 3 doubles on the card.  I wasn't hitting the ball bad, just some untimely shots and dumb errors.  My putter continues to be cold with another 34 putts.  Whatever, hard to be mad about anything on a great day with friends today.

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy