2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

3 hours ago, zer0 said:

One of everyone's all time favorite White Sox players.  ONce saw him sitting in a bar in Wrigleyville while I was walking by with my family.  My dad had us stop in and say hello.  He couldn't have been nicer.  After a few minutes of talking he walked us out to his car, popped the trunk and had a box of his authobiographies in there.  Pulled one out, signed it to me personally and gave it to me.

Minnie Minoso >>>>>>>>Minne Monesse Golf Club

Find me a golf course equivalent of a guy who played in four decades. Go ahead. I’ll wait. 

• Haha 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 6/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, ldchristopher said:

My concern is not with the dumb Covid golfer or the clueless Junior. My concern is when they procreate and their kids grow up thinking this brand of stupid and ignorant is both normal and acceptable. GET THE F&$% OFF MY LAWN!!!

I'm all for the get off my lawn.  One thing I failed to mention about my round at Springbrook, but I have mentioned becoming a regular thing is guys hitting into us or at us without yelling fore.  On hole 11 I was by the left water dropping (because I suck) and as the norm, golf ball lands about 5 feet in front of me and bounces on in.  The shot came from 12 tee, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt about not seeing me (despite me being fat, wearing bright colors, and clearly able to see them).  I was sort of hoping whoever hit it did come my way, but nope, they stayed on their hole.  Got to 12 tee and from what I could see they had a clear view of me.  The dumb and clueless need to get removed from the game or I'm gonna end up getting hit with something.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Find me a golf course equivalent of a guy who played in four decades. Go ahead. I’ll wait. 

I can't answer that, but I'm calling it now....Waters Edge is the Mark "the Bird" Fidrych of golf courses.    Had one great  season when it first opened and then went to crap just like The Bird.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

How about I'll give you 3 players who WON in 4 different decades.  That would be Sam Snead (had some range time with him), DL3 (arranged for a client of mine to golf with him), and Raymond Floyd.  Uniquely, Floyd was the first to win on the PGA and Senior tour in the same season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

How about I'll give you 3 players who WON in 4 different decades.  That would be Sam Snead (had some range time with him), DL3 (arranged for a client of mine to golf with him), and Raymond Floyd.  Uniquely, Floyd was the first to win on the PGA and Senior tour in the same season.

Speaking of Floyd, anyone played Redtail Run in Decatur? It was designed by Raymond Floyd. Bear and I are looking for some new Central IL courses to play later this summer. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Thunderhawk this afternoon. The course is in excellent shape tee to green, as usual. The greens were smooth but basically the same pace as Countryside. The bunkers had plenty of sand and the tee boxes for the tips were in great shape. The ones at the Brass boxes were pretty chewed though. 

I couldn’t get my game going today. Spinny off the tee and missed some easy greens. 9 fairways and 9 greens isn’t awful but compared to how I’ve been playing lately I just felt off most of the day. I swung it a little better on the back and only had two bogies on 13 and 17 but I didn’t even sniff a birdie and limped to a 40 on the front. 78. Headed to Wisconsin tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood II

I have some work tomorrow up by McHenry County College and am curious if anybody has any good recommendations for courses out that way.  I'm based in the city so I haven't looked at many options that far out.  Ideally I'd be walking unless the humidity is super high.  After a preliminary search I'm thinking maybe Turnberry?

31 minutes ago, thedunedain said:

I have some work tomorrow up by McHenry County College and am curious if anybody has any good recommendations for courses out that way.  I'm based in the city so I haven't looked at many options that far out.  Ideally I'd be walking unless the humidity is super high.  After a preliminary search I'm thinking maybe Turnberry?

Turnberry is ok...you could play Blackstone or drive a bit further north and play 17 great holes at Oak Grove and the worst hole in IL, too.

• Like 2

Crystal Woods is a fun course that’s well-maintained. Whisper Creek has a walking rate that isn’t advertised on their site. Decent layout but the bunkers are junk and the greens are meh. Golf Club of Illinois is a boring layout but it’s easy to get on and cheap. The aforementioned Oak Grove and Blackstone. Pinecrest is decent. You won’t be far from Cary, so Foxford Hills, Chalet Hills and Prairie Isle are all solid. The only course in that area that doesn’t allow walking is Redtail. They’re now on my permanent s—- list. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, thedunedain said:

Crystal Woods or Prairie Isle would be my recommendation. Both are kept in nice shape and have a walking rate.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

6 hours ago, thedunedain said:

I would play Redtail or Crystal Woods before Turnberry.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

5 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Crystal Woods is a fun course that’s well-maintained. Whisper Creek has a walking rate that isn’t advertised on their site. Decent layout but the bunkers are junk and the greens are meh. Golf Club of Illinois is a boring layout but it’s easy to get on and cheap. The aforementioned Oak Grove and Blackstone. Pinecrest is decent. You won’t be far from Cary, so Foxford Hills, Chalet Hills and Prairie Isle are all solid. The only course in that area that doesn’t allow walking is Redtail. They’re now on my permanent s—- list. 

LD, when did they say no walking?  We've been bitched at about walking, but they always let us, we still have to pay the cart fee though.  We're playing there the 13th and I'm planning on getting the miles in. Maybe I need to start bitching now.

Redtail yesterday and Elgin Country Club today. Wet day yesterday at Redtail. We were rained on half the time we were out there. Conditions were good even with the rain. There were walkers out there. There is a sign on the register but they seem to let people out if they are insistent. I was invited as a guest at Elgin CC.  Very nice place. I was last out there 2 years ago and it was a treat again. Greens were very fast and tricky. A lot of interesting topography on that course which makes it fun and challenging. Traps were even first rate. Yesterday my game was hit or miss with the rain. Today I got off to a slow start but things got better on the back nine.

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

12 hours ago, Springsteennut said:

Redtail yesterday and Elgin Country Club today. Wet day yesterday at Redtail. We were rained on half the time we were out there. Conditions were good even with the rain. There were walkers out there. There is a sign on the register but they seem to let people out if they are insistent. I was invited as a guest at Elgin CC.  Very nice place. I was last out there 2 years ago and it was a treat again. Greens were very fast and tricky. A lot of interesting topography on that course which makes it fun and challenging. Traps were even first rate. Yesterday my game was hit or miss with the rain. Today I got off to a slow start but things got better on the back nine.

Courses that reluctantly allow walking, and make you feel like a 2nd class citizen, really tick me off. I've had too many bad encounters with pro shop staff and starters to count. 

What's so difficult about the rule that everyone should keep pace? Lord knows every 5+ hour round I've played I've been stuck behind groups of Bozos in carts.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

An adventure today at Old Oak.    Good chat with the starter who said we should get through in about 3 hours (yeah right).   Of course we end up behind a group that has zero hurry.  One  guy I swear was holding Ted talks on every tee box.   On 8 I finally saw a ranger and told him he needs to get them moving,  and he told me they're right on top on the group in front of them (who was at least 2 holes up).   2:30 to play the front.   The group all went in for food so we ran right to 10.  Didn't catch the group in front of them until 17, got through the back in 90 minutes. 

As with tradition this year,  on hole 14 were on the green and there's a ball that lands right by us from the 10th tee.  The clowns said they didn't see us, I don't but it,  but even at that i was always taught to yell if you're that off line. I was about ready to drop the guy since he kept running his mouth making it seem like it was our fault.   I may be old and fat now,  but as an ex hockey player I can still throw a punch that will knock you out.

Anyway,  course was in great shape,  greens were moving nice at a 10ish.  Steady rain for about 10 holes as well.   Always forget how good of course it is.

My game on the other hand was awful.  A lot of high right off the tee which is not normal for me, and couldn't get my alignment straight on irons.   A lot of bogies,  no birds for a 79. 

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/2/2024 at 4:39 PM, DavePelz4 said:

LD, when did they say no walking?  We've been bitched at about walking, but they always let us, we still have to pay the cart fee though.  We're playing there the 13th and I'm planning on getting the miles in. Maybe I need to start bitching now.

They now only allow their members to walk during the summer. 

• Sad 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

5 minutes ago, jimwgt26 said:

That's funny:)

Every tee box on the front 9, one guy would stand there and be going on about something while the other three were hanging onto every single word.  I wouldn't care if they were hitting tee shots, but come on, if you want to socialize to this extent just go sit at a bar or somebody's garage.  I will give them credit for at least playing the right tee box, sort of, they should have been on the forward tees vs one back from forward.    On hole 3 we were waiting on our tee box while this guy was going on about something 50 yards up, they decided to play once they realized we were back there waiting.   I could go on but whatever - Bull Valley on Sunday so at least moving over to a private course for a day should hopefully improve the nonsense. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

27 minutes ago, jimwgt26 said:

Did he have an earpiece microphone and a Patagonia puffy vest? 

No but he a giant towel stuffed into his belt

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy