Why is the PGA Championship still a Major?

LICC

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @Vindog said:

> > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > For those of you wondering why the PGA Championship and Players Championship are two different things and why the PGA of America and PGA Tour are two different things...

> > > > > https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/25/pga-championship-nearly-died/

> > > > >

> > > > > Can you imagine this forum with that sort of stuff going on?

> > > >

> > > > Very interesting read..........What I take away from that and it's nothing more than a personal opinion, is that the Tour is placating the PGA by allowing 20 club pro's to participate. I also can see a possible shift in having the Players replace the PGA as a major, in the future. I really think that this was the ultimate goal of the tour when they birthed the Players. With the amount of money that's being played for and the PGA had really nothing to do with the growth of the tour, the tour really does not need the PGA. The tour can actually designate that they will make this adjustment and who is to say they can't?

> > >

> > > The sure can make it the biggest, richest and most meaningful event on THEIR tour. The purse is the biggest. It carries the most Fed Ex Cup points. And a nice Owgr bonus.

> > >

> > > But the PGA Tour alone can’t make it a Major like the others.

> >

> > But if all the pro tours from the US, Europe, Japan and elsewhere got together so there was one worldwide tour like the ATP in tennis, then I could see the move made. Such an entity would be the global ruling body for pro golf and I think would have the capital to declare a new major. I suspect they would buy out the PGA of America and have the new championship's lineage picking up where the current PGA leaves off.

> >

> > Such a scenario is probably at least a decade in the future.

>

> I thought that that PGA tour has already taken these other tours under their umbrella? Probably as a preemptive move trading in some cache and access to ensure their role in the future?

>

> I seem to have read something about PGA Tour Japan and PGA Tour Australia or something I didn't look into the backround and who is calling the shots just sort of guessed that PGA tour stateside may have made that move.

The others are part of the International Federation of PGA Tours

https://www.jgto.org/jgto_pc_e/international_federations.html

Much like the PGA of America and the PGA Tour the PGAs are not the same.

The other five tours are not under the US PGA Tour umbrella.

The ones under the PGA Tour are the Mackenzie Tour in Canada and the PGA Tour Latin America and the PGA Tour China.

> @lowheel said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > Consider

> >

> > Tom Watson and The King both played the PGA Champ many times and never won it. It’s the one missing from their career grand slams.

> >

> >

>

> yup especially Watson who gave away a 5 shot lead in the final round in 78! impossible to believe

Thanks, lh, droppin the knowledge!

The lady with the glasses sums it up ; )

Actually, the guy with the shades next to her is a boss too, lol.

Ahhh, when people were real people.

> @disco111 said:

> > @Vindog said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > For those of you wondering why the PGA Championship and Players Championship are two different things and why the PGA of America and PGA Tour are two different things...

> > > > https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/25/pga-championship-nearly-died/

> > > >

> > > > Can you imagine this forum with that sort of stuff going on?

> > >

> > > Very interesting read..........What I take away from that and it's nothing more than a personal opinion, is that the Tour is placating the PGA by allowing 20 club pro's to participate. I also can see a possible shift in having the Players replace the PGA as a major, in the future. I really think that this was the ultimate goal of the tour when they birthed the Players. With the amount of money that's being played for and the PGA had really nothing to do with the growth of the tour, the tour really does not need the PGA. The tour can actually designate that they will make this adjustment and who is to say they can't?

> >

> > The sure can make it the biggest, richest and most meaningful event on THEIR tour. The purse is the biggest. It carries the most Fed Ex Cup points. And a nice Owgr bonus.

> >

> > But the PGA Tour alone can’t make it a Major like the others.

>

> Just what would/could be the reason they could not? After all, there is really no Omnipotent anything that says they can't. Many so-called majors have come and gone with that title, so the president has already been set.

Well except for the fact that they have tried for decades to do that very thing, but can't somehow. They have already maxed out the tournament as far as THEY can go. They (the tour) isn't able to elevate it any more than they have already.

If the TPC was played in May, what incentive would the tour players have to play that instead of The PGA? The money is similar, a Major carries more OWGR, and better worldwide exemptions theoretically. Nobody gave Sergio a pass on the "never won a Major" just because he won TPC.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @pheenomz4774 said:

> The PGA Championship is the event that determines the best professional golfer in America. That's how it distinguishes itself from any other event. SoF, while high compared to all the other events, is not what the event is based on. PGA of America enable anybody who stakes their living as a professional in golf, to try and win their event.

> I think one of the reasons the PGA Tours best tourney (The Players) isn't a major is because they still "answer" to the other entities that run the majors. Be it the rules created by the R&A, USGA, PGA, and heck, even the Masters Committee. The PGA Tour is sort of at the mercy of what these entities decide. If the PGA Tour decided to make its OWN set of rules for Tour Players on equipment, ball bifurcation, etc., then it may hold it's best tournament as a distinct and unique challenge to golfers and start making a case for it's "Major" inclusion.

Actually no. The PGA has a different tournament for its professionals- the PGA Professional Championship. The PGA Championship is geared for Tour players. And the PGA is subject to the USGA and R&A rules just like the other majors.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > Thanks @"Darth Putter" I knew you'd set me straight.

> >

> > Do you have a problem with the PGA Tour championship becoming a major?

>

> >

> Yes

>

> It's really the finish of a season long event, not a single tournament.

>

Absolutely have a problem with it. It's only a 30 Player field in the current format!

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > >

> > > * The PGA Tour

> > > * The USGA

> > > * The R&A

> > > * The PGA of America

> > > * The Masters

> > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > * The European Tour

> > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > >

> > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> >

> > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

>

> Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

>

> Majors are nothing more than a talking point created by the media, for promotion of events. The USGA, the Masters, The R and A and even the PGA have enough promotional money that this is not going to change any time soon. History is on thier side, no matter how much money the PGA tour throws at the Players. Let's face it, if it wasn't for the 17th hole, which should have a clown's mouth and a mole hill, no one would care about that course. But yeah, it has a really cool clubhouse.

Are you one who has never played Sawgrass or even seen it in person but think you know all about it? It’s a great course. Great movement of the fairways, great design for strategy and shot options, really good greens, good undulations throughout, nice low country look and feel on many holes, great bunker variety and placement. And the island green works for the Players Championship and is a lot of fun to watch.

> @lawsonman said:

> The most defining thing about this thread is that it has lasted much longer than I thought it would. Has anything been agreed upon other than one guy here thinks the PGA shouldn't be a major for some reason?

To be fair, there are probably 4 or 5 that think it should change.

It's not broken. There's no reason to fix it. 5 to 10 percent of the golfing public wanting to get it changed isn't enough of a groundswell to get anything started. You can't go to 5 Majors. The PGA Championship as it stands is much better than any alternative that's been put forth. It's the Championship of Professional golfers. No Amateurs allowed. That's what differentiates it from the other Majors. It may be the 4th best of the Majors, but one of the Tournaments is always going to be 4th best. If TPC replaced it, guess what..... TPC would take over as 4th best of the Majors. What really was gained other than a money grab by the Tour.

Personally, I don't think that the Tour has the power to just declare that the TPC is the 4th Major and the PGA is out. That isn't something that they're in charge of. The 4 Tournaments obtained their status grassroots style, and organically. Nobody can just step forward and just say that they're making a change. They would get pilloried by the Press and public opinion. I'm just one person, but I wouldn't recognize the TPC winner as a Major Champion just because the Tour said so.

> @widow-maker said:

>

>

>

>

> > @lawsonman said:

> > The most defining thing about this thread is that it has lasted much longer than I thought it would. Has anything been agreed upon other than one guy here thinks the PGA shouldn't be a major for some reason?

>

> To be fair, there are probably 4 or 5 that think it should change.

>

> It's not broken. There's no reason to fix it. 5 to 10 percent of the golfing public wanting to get it changed isn't enough of a groundswell to get anything started. You can't go to 5 Majors. The PGA Championship as it stands is much better than any alternative that's been put forth. It's the Championship of Professional golfers. No Amateurs allowed. That's what differentiates it from the other Majors. ** It may be the 4th best of the Majors, but one of the Tournaments is always going to be 4th best. If TPC replaced it, guess what..... TPC would take over as 4th best of the Majors.** What really was gained other than a money grab by the Tour.

>

> Personally, I don't think that the Tour has the power to just declare that the TPC is the 4th Major and the PGA is out. That isn't something that they're in charge of. The 4 Tournaments obtained their status grassroots style, and organically. Nobody can just step forward and just say that they're making a change. They would get pilloried by the Press and public opinion. I'm just one person, but I wouldn't recognize the TPC winner as a Major Champion just because the Tour said so.

Excellent point right here that always comes up in these threads

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

> @Vindog said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > @Vindog said:

> > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > For those of you wondering why the PGA Championship and Players Championship are two different things and why the PGA of America and PGA Tour are two different things...

> > > > > https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/25/pga-championship-nearly-died/

> > > > >

> > > > > Can you imagine this forum with that sort of stuff going on?

> > > >

> > > > Very interesting read..........What I take away from that and it's nothing more than a personal opinion, is that the Tour is placating the PGA by allowing 20 club pro's to participate. I also can see a possible shift in having the Players replace the PGA as a major, in the future. I really think that this was the ultimate goal of the tour when they birthed the Players. With the amount of money that's being played for and the PGA had really nothing to do with the growth of the tour, the tour really does not need the PGA. The tour can actually designate that they will make this adjustment and who is to say they can't?

> > >

> > > The sure can make it the biggest, richest and most meaningful event on THEIR tour. The purse is the biggest. It carries the most Fed Ex Cup points. And a nice Owgr bonus.

> > >

> > > But the PGA Tour alone can’t make it a Major like the others.

> >

> > Just what would/could be the reason they could not? After all, there is really no Omnipotent anything that says they can't. Many so-called majors have come and gone with that title, so the president has already been set.

>

> Well except for the fact that they have tried for decades to do that very thing, but can't somehow. They have already maxed out the tournament as far as THEY can go. They (the tour) isn't able to elevate it any more than they have already.

>

> If the TPC was played in May, what incentive would the tour players have to play that instead of The PGA? The money is similar, a Major carries more OWGR, and better worldwide exemptions theoretically. Nobody gave Sergio a pass on the "never won a Major" just because he won TPC.

I have no idea of just how hard they tried, but suffice to say that it was at least a subject of discussion. The only way to elevate it, as you pointed out, is to declare it a major. Again, as to reference that there is no authorizing organization that has any authority to disclaim a decision to elevate it to major status. I'm fairly sure that the tour is looking to keep peace within the other contributors of the game, but I'd venture to postulate that if they really wanted to, they could openly declare to the world that they, the PGA Tour, now deems the Players Tournament as having a major status. Not saying it's going to happen, but if it did, who can refute it?

As for Sergio, it was not classified as a major at the time, so it's a moot point...........Now as you stated, if the TPC was played in May and it was considered a major, then you have your answer. All be it, if that actually transpired, then either we would have 5 majors or the PGA would lose it's position. All this is nothing more than pure speculation and what if. Could it possibly come to fruition? Anything is possible!...........

> @disco111 said:

> > @Vindog said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @Vindog said:

> > > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > For those of you wondering why the PGA Championship and Players Championship are two different things and why the PGA of America and PGA Tour are two different things...

> > > > > > https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/25/pga-championship-nearly-died/

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Can you imagine this forum with that sort of stuff going on?

> > > > >

> > > > > Very interesting read..........What I take away from that and it's nothing more than a personal opinion, is that the Tour is placating the PGA by allowing 20 club pro's to participate. I also can see a possible shift in having the Players replace the PGA as a major, in the future. I really think that this was the ultimate goal of the tour when they birthed the Players. With the amount of money that's being played for and the PGA had really nothing to do with the growth of the tour, the tour really does not need the PGA. The tour can actually designate that they will make this adjustment and who is to say they can't?

> > > >

> > > > The sure can make it the biggest, richest and most meaningful event on THEIR tour. The purse is the biggest. It carries the most Fed Ex Cup points. And a nice Owgr bonus.

> > > >

> > > > But the PGA Tour alone can’t make it a Major like the others.

> > >

> > > Just what would/could be the reason they could not? After all, there is really no Omnipotent anything that says they can't. Many so-called majors have come and gone with that title, so the president has already been set.

> >

> > Well except for the fact that they have tried for decades to do that very thing, but can't somehow. They have already maxed out the tournament as far as THEY can go. They (the tour) isn't able to elevate it any more than they have already.

> >

> > If the TPC was played in May, what incentive would the tour players have to play that instead of The PGA? The money is similar, a Major carries more OWGR, and better worldwide exemptions theoretically. Nobody gave Sergio a pass on the "never won a Major" just because he won TPC.

>

> I have no idea of just how hard they tried, but suffice to say that it was at least a subject of discussion. The only way to elevate it, as you pointed out, is to declare it a major. Again, as to reference that there is no authorizing organization that has any authority to disclaim a decision to elevate it to major status. I'm fairly sure that the tour is looking to keep peace within the other contributors of the game, but I'd venture to postulate that if they really wanted to, they could openly declare to the world that they, the PGA Tour, now deems the Players Tournament as having a major status. Not saying it's going to happen, but if it did, who can refute it?

mf3rva9bi6h1.jpeg

> > @Vindog said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @Vindog said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > For those of you wondering why the PGA Championship and Players Championship are two different things and why the PGA of America and PGA Tour are two different things...

> > > > > > https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/25/pga-championship-nearly-died/

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Can you imagine this forum with that sort of stuff going on?

> > > > >

> > > > > Very interesting read..........What I take away from that and it's nothing more than a personal opinion, is that the Tour is placating the PGA by allowing 20 club pro's to participate. I also can see a possible shift in having the Players replace the PGA as a major, in the future. I really think that this was the ultimate goal of the tour when they birthed the Players. With the amount of money that's being played for and the PGA had really nothing to do with the growth of the tour, the tour really does not need the PGA. The tour can actually designate that they will make this adjustment and who is to say they can't?

> > > >

> > > > The sure can make it the biggest, richest and most meaningful event on THEIR tour. The purse is the biggest. It carries the most Fed Ex Cup points. And a nice Owgr bonus.

> > > >

> > > > But the PGA Tour alone can’t make it a Major like the others.

> > >

> > > Just what would/could be the reason they could not? After all, there is really no Omnipotent anything that says they can't. Many so-called majors have come and gone with that title, so the president has already been set.

> >

> > Well except for the fact that they have tried for decades to do that very thing, but can't somehow. They have already maxed out the tournament as far as THEY can go. They (the tour) isn't able to elevate it any more than they have already.

> >

> > If the TPC was played in May, what incentive would the tour players have to play that instead of The PGA? The money is similar, a Major carries more OWGR, and better worldwide exemptions theoretically. Nobody gave Sergio a pass on the "never won a Major" just because he won TPC.

>

> I have no idea of just how hard they tried, but suffice to say that it was at least a subject of discussion. The only way to elevate it, as you pointed out, is to declare it a major. Again, as to reference that there is no authorizing organization that has any authority to disclaim a decision to elevate it to major status. I'm fairly sure that the tour is looking to keep peace within the other contributors of the game, but I'd venture to postulate that if they really wanted to, they could openly declare to the world that they, the PGA Tour, now deems the Players Tournament as having a major status. Not saying it's going to happen, but if it did, who can refute it?

> As for Sergio, it was not classified as a major at the time, so it's a moot point...........Now as you stated, if the TPC was played in May and it was considered a major, then you have your answer. All be it, if that actually transpired, then either we would have 5 majors or the PGA would lose it's position. All this is nothing more than pure speculation and what if. Could it possibly come to fruition? Anything is possible!...........

So they call it a Major. What next? How is it elevated more that what they have already done? It would still have the problem of not being recognized by the European Tour, and as such, the winner would not receive any exemptions from it. Making it lesser in Value than The PGA,

The advisory committees of the OWGR and other Tours would have to take the next step. That's my point. The PGA Tour alone can't make it bigger than it already is. They could call it a Major, but it wouldn't have the same status without "help."

The Sergio point is quite valid actually if we are trying to figure out which tournament players would choose: A Major, or a Non Major.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

> @disco111 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> >

> > * The PGA Tour

> > * The USGA

> > * The R&A

> > * The PGA of America

> > * The Masters

> > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > * The European Tour

> > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> >

> > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

>

> The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

Not true. "Should", maybe. But the PGA Tour is not omnipotent. The PGA Tour doesn't run ANY of the majors. And all the majors are so well established that there is no way the PGA Tour can control them.

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > >

> > > * The PGA Tour

> > > * The USGA

> > > * The R&A

> > > * The PGA of America

> > > * The Masters

> > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > * The European Tour

> > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > >

> > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> >

> > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

>

> Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > >

> > > > * The PGA Tour

> > > > * The USGA

> > > > * The R&A

> > > > * The PGA of America

> > > > * The Masters

> > > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > > * The European Tour

> > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > >

> > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > >

> > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> >

> > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

>

> This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

>

> Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

If it wanted to, the PGA Tour tomorrow could destroy the PGA Championship and elevate the Players to major level status. It could move the Players to May and have Tour players play it instead of the PGA. There isn’t a good reason now to do that but they could if they wanted to.

> @disco111 said:. The majors hold no cards to speak of, because they are separate entities that stand alone. Do you think that the Masters/USGA and the R&A are going to band together and dictate to the tour that they can't make an adjustment?

And vice versa. There is no way the PGA Tour is going to change or move the British Open without their agreement. Same for the PGA, US Open and Masters.

None of these organizations can dictate to the others. The only glue that the PGA Tour has available to keep the status quo in place is the Tour players. Those players can easily shift to other events and there is no way the Tour leaders (Jack, Tiger, Phil) would ever support a PGA Tour decision that shafted the 30,000 PGA of America members.

All four of the majors could tell the PGA Tour to "shove it" if they had to.

>

> @LICC said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > > >

> > > > > * The PGA Tour

> > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > * The PGA of America

> > > > > * The Masters

> > > > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > > > * The European Tour

> > > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > > >

> > > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > > >

> > > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> > >

> > > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

> >

> > This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

> >

> > Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

>

> If it wanted to, the PGA Tour tomorrow could destroy the PGA Championship and elevate the Players to major level status. It could move the Players to May and have Tour players play it instead of the PGA. There isn’t a good reason now to do that but they could if they wanted to.

How could the PGA Tour "destroy" the PGA Championship? How could the PGA Tour alone elevate a tournament to Major Status? And if they can't do that, what incentive would the tour players have to play TPC instead of The PGA? The tour can't force a player to play an event.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

> @Vindog said:

> >

>

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The PGA Tour

> > > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > > * The PGA of America

> > > > > > * The Masters

> > > > > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > > > > * The European Tour

> > > > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> > > >

> > > > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

> > >

> > > This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

> > >

> > > Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

> >

> > If it wanted to, the PGA Tour tomorrow could destroy the PGA Championship and elevate the Players to major level status. It could move the Players to May and have Tour players play it instead of the PGA. There isn’t a good reason now to do that but they could if they wanted to.

>

> How could the PGA Tour "destroy" the PGA Championship? How could the PGA Tour alone elevate a tournament to Major Status? And if they can't do that, what incentive would the tour players have to play TPC instead of The PGA? The tour can't force a player to play an event.

>

>

>

>

>

If they so chose, the PGA Championship would lose all its appeal because the top players would not be playing in it. If that happened, the Players Championship de facto becomes the 4th most important tournament in the world. The Tour is the tour players. It is the same thing. Saying the Tour could do this is saying the Tour players collectively can do it. I am not saying they have incentive to do it now. I said there is no good reason for it. But if there ever was a reason (such as in the 1960s when Jack Nicklaus and other top players went to war against the PGA and led to the Tour breaking off), the Tour could easily diminish the PGA Championship.

As LICC stated above, this is how it could come about..............................I will reiterate for the umpteenth time, there is no controlling entity that dictates who is a major tournament and who cannot be a major tournament. IF, repeat IF it suits the tour to establish the TPC as a major, as they are the forefront of modern day golf, there is no one to say, NO YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!.............It's of little to no importance in what the general golfing world would say, because it's all about money and power. Now in truth, will it happen? Probably not, but could it happen?. The foundation has been poured, so yes it very well could happen.

> @disco111 said:

> As LICC stated above, this is how it could come about..............................I will reiterate for the umpteenth time, there is no controlling entity that dictates who is a major tournament and who cannot be a major tournament. IF, repeat IF it suits the tour to establish the TPC as a major, as they are the forefront of modern day golf, there is no one to say, NO YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!.............It's of little to no importance in what the general golfing world would say, because it's all about money and power. Now in truth, will it happen? Probably not, but could it happen?. The foundation has been poured, so yes it very well could happen.

They would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The backlash would be overwhelming. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd have done it 30 years ago. Declaring "I'm a Major now and you're not" just isn't going to cut it when 90% of golf fans prefer it the way it is. Don't think that they haven't run all the scenarios.

Now, the event that they could commandeer away from the PGA is the Ryder Cup. The American people don't care so much who's running it, just that it gets played every 2 years. There would be backlash, but no change to the actual historical significance of the event. But again, they could have made this power play decades ago. It's a public relations black eye that they don't want or need to get involved in. Loss of viewers, loss of advertisement... obviously they don't see the reward being worth the risk or they'd have already done it.

The players make big money playing a game for a living. Why jeopardize that and be portrayed as the bad guys? The biggest stars make their money off of advertisement, which means their image is everything to them. They've got the golden goose. Why risk losing it over a little greed and power. The Tour Advisory Council and the Tour Policy Board has obviously been presented with all of this over the years... risk/reward... it's not worth the risk.

• Like 1

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > >

> > > > * The PGA Tour

> > > > * The USGA

> > > > * The R&A

> > > > * The PGA of America

> > > > * The Masters

> > > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > > * The European Tour

> > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > >

> > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > >

> > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> >

> > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

>

> This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

>

> Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

That the tour _doesn’t_ control them; isn’t that what makes them major? First the Green Blazers are in charge, then the Blue Blazers (until this year), then the Tweed Blazers, and then whatever PGA of A folks wear. The Players to me is just another tour event. One that a lot of people come out to play in, at an interesting course, but it’s still a tour event. The week before they played one, the week after they play another one.

The Masters determines the champion of those deemed worthy to participate, the ’Masters’ of the game, if you will, at the club of Bob Jones. The US/British opens determine the champions of the US and of the UK. The PGA championship determines the champion of the PGA of America, including some token club professionals.

The Players determines the exact same thing as the Quicken Loans or the Waste Management: who won on tour that week.

> @disco111 said:

> As LICC stated above, this is how it could come about..............................I will reiterate for the umpteenth time, there is no controlling entity that dictates who is a major tournament and who cannot be a major tournament. IF, repeat IF it suits the tour to establish the TPC as a major, as they are the forefront of modern day golf, there is no one to say, NO YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!.............It's of little to no importance in what the general golfing world would say, because it's all about money and power. Now in truth, will it happen? Probably not, but could it happen?. The foundation has been poured, so yes it very well could happen.

there is no controlling entity that dictates who is a major tournament, but the PGA Tour could dictate who is a major tournament.

> @widow-maker said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > As LICC stated above, this is how it could come about..............................I will reiterate for the umpteenth time, there is no controlling entity that dictates who is a major tournament and who cannot be a major tournament. IF, repeat IF it suits the tour to establish the TPC as a major, as they are the forefront of modern day golf, there is no one to say, NO YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!.............It's of little to no importance in what the general golfing world would say, because it's all about money and power. Now in truth, will it happen? Probably not, but could it happen?. The foundation has been poured, so yes it very well could happen.

>

> They would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The backlash would be overwhelming. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd have done it 30 years ago. Declaring "I'm a Major now and you're not" just isn't going to cut it when 90% of golf fans prefer it the way it is. Don't think that they haven't run all the scenarios.

>

> Now, the event that they could commandeer away from the PGA is the Ryder Cup. The American people don't care so much who's running it, just that it gets played every 2 years. There would be backlash, but no change to the actual historical significance of the event. But again, they could have made this power play decades ago. It's a public relations black eye that they don't want or need to get involved in. Loss of viewers, loss of advertisement... obviously they don't see the reward being worth the risk or they'd have already done it.

>

> The players make big money playing a game for a living. Why jeopardize that and be portrayed as the bad guys? The biggest stars make their money off of advertisement, which means their image is everything to them. They've got the golden goose. Why risk losing it over a little greed and power. The Tour Advisory Council and the Tour Policy Board has obviously been presented with all of this over the years... risk/reward... it's not worth the risk.

Great post, very well orchestrated

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > > >

> > > > > * The PGA Tour

> > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > * The PGA of America

> > > > > * The Masters

> > > > > * Leading players such has Nicklaus, Woods, Mickelson, etc.

> > > > > * The European Tour

> > > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > > >

> > > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > > >

> > > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> > >

> > > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

> >

> > This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

> >

> > Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

>

> That the tour _doesn’t_ control them; isn’t that what makes them major? First the Green Blazers are in charge, then the Blue Blazers (until this year), then the Tweed Blazers, and then whatever PGA of A folks wear. The Players to me is just another tour event. One that a lot of people come out to play in, at an interesting course, but it’s still a tour event. The week before they played one, the week after they play another one.

>

> The Masters determines the champion of those deemed worthy to participate, the ’Masters’ of the game, if you will, at the club of Bob Jones. The US/British opens determine the champions of the US and of the UK. The PGA championship determines the champion of the PGA of America, including some token club professionals.

>

> The Players determines the exact same thing as the Quicken Loans or the Waste Management: who won on tour that week.

The Champion of the PGA of America?? What is that?

Isn't the PGA Championship just a glorified Tour event but just not run by the Tour?

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @disco111 said:. The majors hold no cards to speak of, because they are separate entities that stand alone. Do you think that the Masters/USGA and the R&A are going to band together and dictate to the tour that they can't make an adjustment?

>

> And vice versa. There is no way the PGA Tour is going to change or move the British Open without their agreement. Same for the PGA, US Open and Masters.

>

> None of these organizations can dictate to the others. The only glue that the PGA Tour has available to keep the status quo in place is the Tour players. Those players can easily shift to other events and there is no way the Tour leaders (Jack, Tiger, Phil) would ever support a PGA Tour decision that shafted the 30,000 PGA of America members.

>

> All four of the majors could tell the PGA Tour to "shove it" if they had to.

I was going to just ignore this post, but it's just begs to be rebutted. Change / move the Opens and the Masters? When was this ever in the discussion. Making stuff up to validate a discussion point is ????????

Tour leaders (Jack, Tiger, Phil) would ever support a PGA Tour decision that shafted the 30,000 PGA of America. History says other wise, it's even here in another post.

All four of the majors could tell the PGA Tour to "shove it" if they had to. Really!, with out the tour players, there are NO Majors.

> @LICC said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > > What many posters overlook is the long list of organizations that have some control over the PGA Tour schedule, including;

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > > * A few dozen influential and well-established tournaments such as Colonial, Memorial, etc.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > All of these parties have to agree or at least have some input on schedule changes. So drastic changes such as changing the list of majors are extremely unlikely to occur.

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA tour is the only entity that can/should make that determination. The USGA has absolutely no say, since it does not involve any rules breach or equipment violation. Same with the R&A. Neither body has ever eluded too the fact that they had any part or parcel in determining who or what was a major. The PGA of America has no vested interest in the equation, except to lose their place in modern tradition. The Masters is the Masters and again have, nor should have any input in deciding a change. It does not affect them in any way. Leading players are the pro tour, so it's their input that would change and with the inception of the Players, they have most likely made that choice. The euro tour has zero stake in any of this. Why would other tournaments have to have any say, it's not going to impact them in any way and it may even help them in the future. Again, will this ever happen? Probable not, but it could if the tour deems it in their best interest. I still say that the tour fathered the Players with a possible expectation of either having it recognized as a 5th or somewhere down the line, replacing the PGA, if a 5th was not obtainable. Although, again, who can say that the tour can't do that.

> > > >

> > > > Wrong. The Masters is going to do what it wants to do, so is the USGA, the tour has to conform. Why? because no matter what the tour does the top players are going to play in the Masters and the US Open. Now, I am sure they work together just because they all want to get along as much as possible, and creating turmoil would server not good purpose for anyone. The majors hold the cards though if push comes to shove.

> > >

> > > This is true. The PGA Tour controls NONE of the majors. So they all have to work together and agree on a schedule.

> > >

> > > Because so many entities share power in the world of golf, no one is able to control the entire schedule.

> >

> > That the tour _doesn’t_ control them; isn’t that what makes them major? First the Green Blazers are in charge, then the Blue Blazers (until this year), then the Tweed Blazers, and then whatever PGA of A folks wear. The Players to me is just another tour event. One that a lot of people come out to play in, at an interesting course, but it’s still a tour event. The week before they played one, the week after they play another one.

> >

> > The Masters determines the champion of those deemed worthy to participate, the ’Masters’ of the game, if you will, at the club of Bob Jones. The US/British opens determine the champions of the US and of the UK. The PGA championship determines the champion of the PGA of America, including some token club professionals.

> >

> > The Players determines the exact same thing as the Quicken Loans or the Waste Management: who won on tour that week.

>

> The Champion of the PGA of America?? What is that?

> Isn't the PGA Championship just a glorified Tour event but just not run by the Tour?

I used this logic as provided by post #136:

”The PGA Championship is the event that determines the best professional golfer in America. That's how it distinguishes itself from any other event. SoF, while high compared to all the other events, is not what the event is based on. PGA of America enable anybody who stakes their living as a professional in golf, to try and win their event.”

And you could say it is a glorified tour event I guess, except it moves around every year (and most tour events don’t do that). And it’s presented as more than a tour event, so it gets to self-glorify as something better (see also: The Masters)

> @LICC said:

> The PGA has 4th rung status among general golf fans. And while generally all PGA Tour events are held at well-conditioned good courses, the other majors usually are held at outstanding, best-in-the-world at the highest level courses (the USGA had a few missed but usually has incredible venues). The PGA? It's gotten better courses in its rotation but does Quail Hollow, Trump Bedminster, Valhalla, Bellerive, Hazeltine, Atlanta Athletic Club, etc. really make you think of the best courses in the world?> @LICC said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That the tour _doesn’t_ control them; isn’t that what makes them major? First the Green Blazers are in charge, then the Blue Blazers (until this year), then the Tweed Blazers, and then whatever PGA of A folks wear. The Players to me is just another tour event. One that a lot of people come out to play in, at an interesting course, but it’s still a tour event. The week before they played one, the week after they play another one.

> >

> > The Masters determines the champion of those deemed worthy to participate, the ’Masters’ of the game, if you will, at the club of Bob Jones. The US/British opens determine the champions of the US and of the UK. The PGA championship determines the champion of the PGA of America, including some token club professionals.

> >

> > The Players determines the exact same thing as the Quicken Loans or the Waste Management: who won on tour that week.

>

> Isn't the PGA Championship just a glorified Tour event but just not run by the Tour?

Sure it is. And the Masters is just a small invitational run by some rich guys club in Georgia.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @LICC said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The USGA

> > > > > > * The R&A

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Sure it is. And the Masters is just a small invitational run by some rich guys club in Georgia.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar