Why is the PGA Championship still a Major?

LICC

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > > Golf Digest ran the figures for 2000-2017 last year

> > > > > > > > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/does-the-pga-championship-produce-the-worst-major-winners-an-investigation

> > > > > > > From your link:

> > > > > > > There is another part to this equation. Chiefly, how often does a championship cater to the best in the world? Amazingly, the PGA Championship comes out on top, with nine of its last 18 winners—Tiger Woods three times, Rory McIlroy twice, Vijay Singh, Phil Mickelson, Padraig Harrington and Jason Day—ranking inside the top five in the world. That's three more than the Masters and the British, and four better than the U.S. Open.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes some nice data in the link provided by @"Darth Putter" The PGA Championship has derived strong top shelf winners, from a strong field. Of course it's worthy of being a major, contrary to the OP's constant lobbying to demote it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Winners of the Players in the last 20 years: Tiger (twice), Rickie Fowler, Jason Day, Matt Kuchar, Martin Kaymer, Henrik Stenson, Phil Michelson, Sergio Garcia, Adam Scott, David Duval

> > > >

> > > > And forgot Rory this year!

> > >

> > > That still does nothing to marginalize the greatness of the PGA Championship which has been your goal all along.

> >

> > Greatness?? Really? We have three greatness level tournaments and several other top ones. The PGA is in the second category.

>

> I’d love to see you tell Jack and Tiger that 9 of their Majors are

>

> “Second category” ; )

>

>

>

I think they know. Sports Illustrated said it, see above.

The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

>

> But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

>

> But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

>

>

This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> @LICC said:

> > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> >

> > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> >

> > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> >

> >

>

> This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> @widow-maker said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > >

> > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > >

> > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

>

> The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

>

> The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

>

> There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> @LICC said:

> > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> >

> > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> >

> > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> >

> >

>

> This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

Since no one is impressed by your outstanding use of geometric logic and debate skills worthy of a Chicago Alderman's race, perhaps you should take your arguments to the powers that be. Why waste time talking to peasants in a golf forum when you could be leading a global campaign across real media talking to the real power brokers that can right this horrible crime against golf.

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > >

> > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > >

> > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> >

> > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> >

> > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> >

> > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

>

> I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

• Like 1

> @widow-maker said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > >

> > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > >

> > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > >

> > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > >

> > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> >

> > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

>

> You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

>

> The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

>

> As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > >

> > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > >

> > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > >

> > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> >

> > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> >

> > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> >

> > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

>

> The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

You’re free to not consider the PGA a major.

Or to replace it with the Players in your mind.

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > >

> > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > >

> > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > >

> > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> >

> > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> >

> > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> >

> > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

>

> The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

• Like 1

> @widow-maker said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > >

> > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > >

> > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > >

> > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > >

> > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > >

> > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > >

> > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> >

> > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

>

> > @LICC said:

> > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > >

> > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > >

> > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > >

> > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > >

> > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > >

> > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > >

> > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> >

> > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

>

> The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

I’m expecting people to stop complaining the PGA was moved to May as it’s not a tournament at the same level as the Masters or the Open or US Open anyway, and there is little reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or the FedEx events.

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > >

> > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > > >

> > > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > > >

> > > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > > >

> > > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> > >

> > > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> >

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > >

> > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > > >

> > > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > > >

> > > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > > >

> > > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> > >

> > > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> >

> > The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

>

> I’m expecting people to stop complaining the PGA was moved to May as it’s not a tournament at the same level as the Masters or the Open or US Open anyway, and there is little reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or the FedEx events.

There's plenty of reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or FedEx events.... it's a Major. They aren't.

There's a very good WGC event going on today with Rory and Brooks in the final group. The thread on it is on page 7 as I type this. If it were the PGA, there'd be more than 50 pages in. People have ascribed more importance to the PGA. You may not, but you're the one in the minority.

• Like 1

> @widow-maker said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > > > >

> > > > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > > > >

> > > > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > > > >

> > > > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> > >

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships

> > >

> > > The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

> >

> > I’m expecting people to stop complaining the PGA was moved to May as it’s not a tournament at the same level as the Masters or the Open or US Open anyway, and there is little reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or the FedEx events.

>

> There's plenty of reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or FedEx events.... it's a Major. They aren't.

>

> There's a very good WGC event going on today with Rory and Brooks in the final group. The thread on it is on page 7 as I type this. If it were the PGA, there'd be more than 50 pages in. People have ascribed more importance to the PGA. You may not, but you're the one in the minority.

How many pages does the Players discussion have?

To say it is a major because it has greater stature, and that it has greater stature because it is a major, is circular reasoning.

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

>

> I’m expecting people to stop complaining the PGA was moved to May as it’s not a tournament at the same level as the Masters or the Open or US Open anyway, and there is little reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or the FedEx events.

The players and fedex have their own identity. One pro said most average players would rather win the fedex than any major but the masters because the money is so life changing.

Jack doesn’t like the change because of the importance of the PGA as a major.

“I don’t like the new Major schedule, from the stand point that if you have an injury, or if you’re struggling with one tournament, all of a sudden the other one follows too closely, to get it back,” 18-time Major winner Jack Nicklaus told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“I’m not sure that that’s really a good thing for the game of golf, to have all your tournaments in about three and a half months. And I don’t think it’s good for the other tournaments on the Tour.

The guys have got to skip a lot of tournaments – you saw that this year – guys weren’t playing in between Majors. And I think that’s a shame for the Tour.

“I know that the all-mighty dollar is important, but I don’t think it’s so important that you really lose out on the tradition of the great tournaments that have been played for years and years and years.”

Former World Number One Justin Rose has also been critical of the new schedule.

“It’s too condensed,” he said at The Open.

“As a professional in terms of trying to peak for something, the process that’s involved in trying to do that can be detailed and it can be longer than a month.

I think it’s pretty much driven by FedExCup, wanting to finish on a certain date, everything else having to fit in where it can.

“For me, a Major championship should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured.

“Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack versus Tiger, it’s the majors that are the benchmarks.

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You asked for the reason. I tried to lay it out as succinctly as possible. You may not agree or like it, but it is what it is.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The Players Championship is a Tour event. It's no more special than any of their WGC events. They're great events, but they'll never be elevated to Major status because they're Tour events, some packaged as being more special than others. The public has accepted the 4 Majors as they are. There has never been any groundswell of support for a 5th Major. They've tried their best to float it as such, but the public at large didn't buy it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As far as the Open Championships.... they weren't formed to be Majors. But over time they became known as Majors because the players, writers, and golfing public in general decided they were important events... i.e., organically. Then the same happened with the PGA and the Masters. It just happened. There was no plot behind the scenes. Some writers advanced it and Arnold Palmer sealed it, but there was no back room deal that made it all happen.

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA Championship was effectively a Tour event until the Tour broke off from the PGA. Almost all Tour player events back then were PGA events.

> > > >

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @widow-maker said:

> > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > > > > > > > > The thread title is silly. It rightly is a major, no issues there. The question as I see it, why do so many win it, then never win another major? I wouldn’t call them second tier winners.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > But the thing is, ask yourself, if you could only win one major, would you pick the PGA Championship? Well I think the answer is 99.9 percent of us would NOT pick the PGA.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > But regardless it is still a major. One of the four and nothing needs to be changed or added. As I have said before, I think the new scheduling is a good thing that will enhance the PGA.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > This is the typical response. It is a major because it is. Because it was so it still is. And has a strong field. No one has an actual good reason.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The Masters, US Open, British Open, and the PGA Championship were big tournaments that preceded the Tour as we now know it. They attained their status organically and finally became known as the 4 Championships that a golfer would most like to win in a given year. They've kept that designation now for over a half century. The Public has bought into it and that is what has cemented these 4 Tournaments as Majors.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The PGA Tour came into being and developed their own events. These are Tour events. They're not associated with the Major events, other than players who are Tour members comprise the majority of the field. So, you have Major events, and you have Tour events. They run separately because the Major events had enough pull from their status that they could remain separate from the Tour. Public opinion(with an obvious push from the press) elevated the 4 Majors to the status that they now have. The PGA Tour was late to the table and got left out. Try as they might, they haven't been able to establish any of their events as superior to what the current 4 Majors already are. Why replace something superior with something seen as inferior?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There is no other reason and it's not going to change in the near future because no one entity has the power to change it. They are accepted for what they are in the Worldwide golfing community. The current setup isn't broken and there's no good reason to change it. The PGA Championship is probably considered 4th amongst peers, but anything that replaced it would just assume it's place as 4th amongst peers.... so what's the point of changing it? There is no groundswell of support to change it, and I doubt there will be in the foreseeable future.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I understand all that. That was a different variation of the same response. I would disagree with two things. The Tour has never tried to replace the PGA Championship as a major. If anything it’s tried to get the Players status as a 5th major, but indirectly. Second, the Open and US Open didn’t become majors organically. They were formed to be their nations’ premier open championships

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Championship was first played before 1920. It has history and the American public has bought into that history. They haven't bought into the TPC as a Major. There you have it. I'm not sure what you're expecting but I doubt you're going to get it.

> > >

> > > I’m expecting people to stop complaining the PGA was moved to May as it’s not a tournament at the same level as the Masters or the Open or US Open anyway, and there is little reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or the FedEx events.

> >

> > There's plenty of reason for it to have greater stature than the Players or FedEx events.... it's a Major. They aren't.

> >

> > There's a very good WGC event going on today with Rory and Brooks in the final group. The thread on it is on page 7 as I type this. If it were the PGA, there'd be more than 50 pages in. People have ascribed more importance to the PGA. You may not, but you're the one in the minority.

>

> How many pages does the Players discussion have?

>

> To say it is a major because it has greater stature, and that it has greater stature because it is a major, is circular reasoning.

Circular reasoning???? It's reality and and both statements indeed are true. Maybe in 1960 you could have argued for something different, but 60 years later it's become ingrained and it's not going to change anytime soon. There are 4 Majors that aren't going to lose their status in the foreseeable future, mostly because people are happy with the status quo. They may have an opinion on playing them at different times of the year, but nobody of any importance is lobbying for one of them to lose their status as Majors.

• Like 1

I feel like this thread is going in circles.

The PGA Championship and the the Players Championship are pretty similar in many ways. The PGA is a major and the Players isn't. Is there any good reason for that to be that way? Not really, but it's how it's always been, how it is, and it isn't going to change. The Players maybe could someday achieve 5th major status if the desire for television money supersedes tradition. That actually wouldn't surprise me at all, given the way that money finds every crack in professional sports.

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

> @Roadking2003 said:

> Maybe the Scottish Open should replace the British Open as the fourth major.

>

> Why, you ask? Because it's all about taking turns. The British has been a major for almost 70 years and the Scottish never has been a major. It's time to spread the wealth.

Are people going to throw a fit if I still call it the Scottish Open instead of the Open Championship?

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @Lagavulin62 said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

I don't know. Why does it rain sometimes? This thread is in the running for dumbest thread of the year.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @LICC said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > Because it’s a great major good courses good course set up and historic . I rate the masters as the 4th major.

>

> Rightly or not, the Masters is by far the most popular and most watched golf tournament in the world.

I know. It’s played in one course, invitational and other historical factors make it 4th for me. The British open is the best and most historic for me - I’ve read before Woods and Nicklaus agree with on the British open part which I thought was interesting.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > Because it’s a great major good courses good course set up and historic . I rate the masters as the 4th major.

> >

> > Rightly or not, the Masters is by far the most popular and most watched golf tournament in the world.

>

> I know. It’s played in one course, invitational and other historical factors make it 4th for me. The British open is the best and most historic for me - I’ve read before Woods and Nicklaus agree with on the British open part which I thought was interesting.

Understood. Your view is a small minority one.

The large majority of people consider the PGA the 4th of the four. People disagree on which of the other three is best, but the PGA is the widespread choice as the 4th.

> @LICC said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > Because it’s a great major good courses good course set up and historic . I rate the masters as the 4th major.

> > >

> > > Rightly or not, the Masters is by far the most popular and most watched golf tournament in the world.

> >

> > I know. It’s played in one course, invitational and other historical factors make it 4th for me. The British open is the best and most historic for me - I’ve read before Woods and Nicklaus agree with on the British open part which I thought was interesting.

>

> Understood. Your view is a small minority one.

> The large majority of people consider the PGA the 4th of the four. People disagree on which of the other three is best, but the PGA is the widespread choice as the 4th.

I know but I disagree with that Masters is 4th for me.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > > Because it’s a great major good courses good course set up and historic . I rate the masters as the 4th major.

> > > >

> > > > Rightly or not, the Masters is by far the most popular and most watched golf tournament in the world.

> > >

> > > I know. It’s played in one course, invitational and other historical factors make it 4th for me. The British open is the best and most historic for me - I’ve read before Woods and Nicklaus agree with on the British open part which I thought was interesting.

> >

> > Understood. Your view is a small minority one.

> > The large majority of people consider the PGA the 4th of the four. People disagree on which of the other three is best, but the PGA is the widespread choice as the 4th.

>

> I know but I disagree with that Masters is 4th for me.

How often is the PGA played on a course better than Augusta? And what "other historical factors" of the Masters detract for you?

> @LICC said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > > > Because it’s a great major good courses good course set up and historic . I rate the masters as the 4th major.

> > > > >

> > > > > Rightly or not, the Masters is by far the most popular and most watched golf tournament in the world.

> > > >

> > > > I know. It’s played in one course, invitational and other historical factors make it 4th for me. The British open is the best and most historic for me - I’ve read before Woods and Nicklaus agree with on the British open part which I thought was interesting.

> > >

> > > Understood. Your view is a small minority one.

> > > The large majority of people consider the PGA the 4th of the four. People disagree on which of the other three is best, but the PGA is the widespread choice as the 4th.

> >

> > I know but I disagree with that Masters is 4th for me.

>

> How often is the PGA played on a course better than Augusta? And what "other historical factors" of the Masters detract for you?

One course major isn’t my cup of tea but it’s no doubt a good course. Historical factors like when certain people in society where allowed to be a member / spectate rubs me up the wrong way a little. But that’s no too relevant to me. The most relevance to me is when it became a major (some time after the others) and that it’s played on just one course. That puts it 4th for me regardless of anything else. I’m sure it was a huge advantage to Tiger that he knows Augusta so well when chasing that extra major, not meaning to put a downer on his achievement . I personally find the Augusta golf course overrated too, it’s a nice course but more memorable because the masters is always played on it. Purely my view no intention to offend Masters fanatics my main playing buddy loves the masters the most

And by the way for me I like the contrast of the 4 I think they compliment each other well. I wouldn’t remove any as a major if I had the chance to decide that. I’m happy with the four majors as they are personally. All of them are run well and played on interesting courses.