2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Finally had my L4V demo day today... DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME!! :clapping: Not in the L4V necessarily, but in the entire process. 1st of all the tallest tee they had placed the ball about 1/2 way up the clubface. I normally play it about 1/2 ball above the face, so this was a BIG issue! The rep. kept trying to get my launch angle up, I was averaging about 8.5*. I said at least 3 times that I can remember that the tee was way too low... he finally said it's the only height they have (probably afraid of their clubs getting idiot marks I guess). Needless to say the rep. kept trying to get that launch height up. I wanted to try different aftermarket shafts, but to do this I had to hit other clubs... (ie. Titleise, Cobra, etc). What a mess. I came away from the whole process no better than going in.

So I guess I'm just going to pull the trigger on either a 5900 or F-L4V... suppose I'll flip a coin.

Welp... Flipped the coin and it came out 5900. I pulled the trigger on one with a Stiff Proto shaft, 10.5* for $300 (new) on fleabay. I really wanted to join the Kool-Aid Gang, but the demo day put a very bad taste in my mouth.

Of course, being the ho I am... I will most likely cross paths with an L4V sooner or l8r. :clapping:

Interestingly they say the head might be too light for some LOL

http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/article/0...25266-2,00.html

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

How come pros seem to prefer the speed drivers to the l4v?

Easy, workability...

The L4V just wants to go straight. The pros like to work the ball. I know Camillo plays one and loves it! I saw him hit it at the buick Invite and he was killing it! on the 12th tee he hit it side by side with this Speed Pro and he was 10yards longer with the L4V. I know from a reliable source that all of the cobra guys have tested it and are really impressed, and some are not far away from putting it in the bag. Jason Gore, and Ian Poulter are two. Its a great driver its just about getting it piared up with a shaft, that works for you.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

I have been playing the L4V with a GD Pershing 65X shaft. I have found that I am getting a good trajectory (maybe just a bit high)...and i don't think it is spinning too much but it is hard to tell because the fairways have been so wet it is literally almost plugging. My problem is that I have been turning the ball over when I really go after the ball (I normally hit a slight fade and going left...even a bit...scares me). What shaft would allow me to go after it without the fear of going left?

I have been playing the L4V with a GD Pershing 65X shaft. I have found that I am getting a good trajectory (maybe just a bit high)...and i don't think it is spinning too much but it is hard to tell because the fairways have been so wet it is literally almost plugging. My problem is that I have been turning the ball over when I really go after the ball (I normally hit a slight fade and going left...even a bit...scares me). What shaft would allow me to go after it without the fear of going left?

Ever thought about increase the weight of the shaft .... It would slow you down a tad - but it would prob keep those quick hands from coming thru. Heavy to me has always meant better control. Maybe the Pershing 75X - JUST a thought :clapping:

Think about Epic too - That is really working for me ( for a lite weight shaft)

Keep us up to speed on what happens :clapping:

Just a plain ole' retail 68X

1 thing I get a LOT !!!!!!!!! in PMs & emails etc - Is the I hit it too high thing ....

Just a couple quick FYIs ... THE BULK if not ALL of the Cobra staffers - you MAY have heard of them - Camillo / Ogilve / Poulter etc are using 9 (or are working on it) - not 8

Pavlet - Who swing faster than 99.99999999999999999999999999% (if not 100%) of everyone on the site - uses a 9*.

You may hit it high - but when it carries 17 miles - who cares. Is it a matter of how you want your drive to LOOK or how you want it to PERFORM.

I hit them high myself ... EXCEPT for my HK-110 setup - that just hits bullets. But it's setup setup setup.

I uderstand that comment from Texas guys kind of ... but dont confuse HIGH with not optimum

Well, while what you say is certainly true, there IS such a thing as too high. I could accept a high launch like 15 - 17* as being high but not too much so, but higher than that might not be so good. And then there's what I was getting with the epic...

About 8 months ago or so, I put an Epic in a 9.5* Launcher Comp. The club originally had its stock shaft in it. With the stock shaft I had a very nice trajectory, though sometimes a little higher than I'd have liked (which still was pretty good). However when I put the Epic in it I started hitting what looked like popups. I wasn't on a LM but I'd say the LA was nearly 25*. I mean WAY too high. The first couple of times it happened, even though the shot didn't feel like a true popup, I checked for sky marks. Seriously. I'm talking 7w height and very, very short as a result. I tried teeing it lower, but that only helped when it was teed too low for me (ended up hitting the ball quite poorly). I thought it was very, very strange. I traded the club in to my club fitting shop.

About a week or so later I saw one of the guys that works there on the range. He had that driver and was hitting it with a nice trajectory. I asked if he'd changed it at all and he said he hadn't. So I hit it a couple of times and had the same result as my original tryout...SUPER high. I compared it with my TM and the TM had a nice trajectory. Again, it was really strange, but it's my only experience with the Epic (in a driver) so it has me a little leary of paying to get one installed again.

Still, I'm curious to try it again anyway. It was so strange that I kind of want to confirm that it was happening, or confirm that there was just some wackiness going on with my swing with that specific club (maybe swingweight was strange for me or something).

I've discovered another use for my L4V.

On short par 4's that are too long to go for the green, but too short for a full swinging drive (putting me at an odd distance), rather than a hybrid or iron, I'm going with a driver half swing. This thing is a hoot. Guys I was playing with were cracking up.

It's so straight and reliable, just a nice 9:00 or so swing will put it out there 225 or so.

Priceless.

Well it took 3 months but I have found a serious contender to my L4V; and the contender is a Nike 5000 8.5* with a VS Proto X.

Played the Nike today on my home course and was in some places that quite frankly I have never reached with the L4V!! That is a huge statement as the Cobra until now had no challengers; nothing even close.

And yes the shaft on the L4V has been changed. Whiteboard 73 X tipped 1/2" with a total length of 45".

The Nike has its stock VS Proto. At 65 grams it must be a made for Nike shaft as I do not see that weight listed on Adila's website. Regardless this club rocks. And I could buy two(hell almost three) for the what I have invested in the L4V/Whiteboard combo.

I professed many times in this thread novel my love for the L4V and still like it. However the Nike has quickly gained top spot honors. More testing to come.

Well with tax refunds coming, I'm about to drink the kool-aide but I was wondering which model to choose. Currently I play an F/Speed from the original speed series and I like the ball flight I get with it. My SS is between 100-110, so I was wondering whether I should go with the F or X? I'm going to stick with the 9* no matter which I choose, I was just wondering which would be better because I feel the F might be better and more similar to my current set-up. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Instagram: @rsolson617

I just hit the 10.5* F L4V this weekend, unfortunately indoor. It was okish. But this is soley based on the shaft. I tried the stock staft at stiff and it felt like I was putting load on it but had to slow my swing down in order for it to catch up. If that makes sense. I was only carrying about 215ish with a high trajectory. Is there a shaft that compares to the TM 580XD MAS2 shaft? This driver and standard length felt just right and was hitting 260 carry.

Well it took 3 months but I have found a serious contender to my L4V; and the contender is a Nike 5000 8.5* with a VS Proto X.

Played the Nike today on my home course and was in some places that quite frankly I have never reached with the L4V!! That is a huge statement as the Cobra until now had no challengers; nothing even close.

And yes the shaft on the L4V has been changed. Whiteboard 73 X tipped 1/2" with a total length of 45".

The Nike has its stock VS Proto. At 65 grams it must be a made for Nike shaft as I do not see that weight listed on Adila's website. Regardless this club rocks. And I could buy two(hell almost three) for the what I have invested in the L4V/Whiteboard combo.

I professed many times in this thread novel my love for the L4V and still like it. However the Nike has quickly gained top spot honors. More testing to come.

I bought a 5000 at a demo day. A few days later I went back and got the 5900. Both had the VS Proto 65 in them. The numbers on the LM were awesome with range balls and decent with top shelf balls. With the good balls, the LA/spin numbers were just a bit too high. Still, I found both to be excellent drivers. The 5900 was a bit straighter for me though.

I still think people underestimate the Nike clubs (I used to do so as well). But they are putting out some soid products. The drivers are excellent, as are the fairway woods and hybrids. The blades are excellent as well, and the CCI forged feel very good. The wedges are decent too. The putters...okay, I hate those.... :cheesy:

Well, I joined the Brigade today. Actually it was Sunday but I finally had my first chance to hit it today.

I PM'd Rob a few times and he helped me out a bit. He helped me a great deal last year with a Cleveland driver. Anyway, I found a 9* L4Vx at Golfsmith in the used section. The club was perfect. Undoubtably someone had purchased it and could not handle it cause it could not have had more than a few swings on it. I was a bit nervous about the head as it showed to sit fairly open. My current 2 drivers are a 9.5* TM 460TP/Pershing 65 Stiff combo set up for a slight draw and a Nike SQ Tour 9.5*/Matrix F7M2 Stiff combo. My SS is in the 100-105 range with a nice tight draw of late. I can hit a fade as well but I stay away from it if at all possible due to the side effects of my brain adjusting to it and becoming a slicer. I hit a fairly high and spinny ball with most drivers so these 2 I am usng now are set up to fight spin and keep the ball down. Anyway, the L4Vx had a Aldila NV 75S in it and I had not had good luck with this shaft at all. I was trying to decide on a V2 MOI or use a Matrix F7M2 I had laying around. Anyway, I opted to not spend more money and shaft it with the F7M2.

Okay, on to the performance. I have been away from golf for about 5 weeks now due to a back issue. So today was my first range session in a while. It in the mid 70's today in GA and beautiful. After a good warmup, I took my first swing. The first swing with a new club for me is usually very controlled and fluid because I am not sure what is going to happen. I usually then progress quickly to Gorilla mode if things are going well which has ill effects. Well all of that happened today without the ill effects. The first ball I hit was beautiful. Perfectly through the trajetory window I was looking for and it carried...... Okay spin must be good too. Ball after ball I got really good results. I really was not drawing the club and even with my normal draw swing Iit was just going straight. If I really flipped it I could snap it or hit a hard low draw. Easy swings produced a straight ball and even an easy fade without trying. Bad swings produced a nice straight ball with a bit worse trajectory and loss of distance. That is what I liked because I would rather be short and in the fairway than te alternative.

This is a great club. I am really glad I got the X for my swing because I am afraid the F may have had too much draw bias and may have hit the ball a bit higher due to the misstated lofts. The F7M2 works great in this club. If I hadn't had it laying around, I would have probably gone with something else. A Pershing or Tourshop V2 CB would probably work great with my swing. The sound is obnoxious but I don't mind if I get results. I will reserve final judgement for the course this weekend but so far so good. Thanks Rob for bringing our attention to another winner.

I finally got to hit the L4V X yesterday for 15 holes. I am a +2 handicap but I have not played any golf due to the weather here in the midwest since early December. Longest layoff ever!! I had the L4V X reshafted with a Protopype 60 X untipped at 44.5 inches. My swing speed is usually around 115-118 with a 185 ball speed. The weather here yesterday was still only 51 degrees with very heavy air but I could really tell that the face of this club is hot. I believe that this combo with end up being a little longer than my current setup (callaway x460 tour with proto by you 70-X). The most obvious aspect of this new driver is the accuracy. I firmly agree with everyone that it just wants to go straight. I hit 8 of 9 fairways with this club with most of them being right down the middle of the fairway. The one fairway I missed was just a really BAD swing. But the point is that it took a really bad swing to miss the fairway. I would say in those conditions I was still averaging 290 yards so I know yardage/distance will not be an issue with this club, however even if it was no longer than the driver mentioned above the accuracy would be well worth the change. With this shaft combo, I did not notice that high ball flight that people have mentioned on this site, it was a good boring flat ball flight that looked like it will get good roll once the fairways firm up.

Anyone interested in this driver would be well served to try it out atleast before passing to another option. I can't wait to try this thing with warm weather, thinner air and firm fairways.

With this shaft combo, I did not notice that high ball flight that people have mentioned on this site, it was a good boring flat ball flight that looked like it will get good roll once the fairways firm up.

I've found the same...trajectory is fine. Not high at all. I'd say it's just a touch over, what most would consider a mid-trajectory.

I finally got to hit the L4V X yesterday for 15 holes. I am a +2 handicap but I have not played any golf due to the weather here in the midwest since early December. Longest layoff ever!! I had the L4V X reshafted with a Protopype 60 X untipped at 44.5 inches. My swing speed is usually around 115-118 with a 185 ball speed. The weather here yesterday was still only 51 degrees with very heavy air but I could really tell that the face of this club is hot. I believe that this combo with end up being a little longer than my current setup (callaway x460 tour with proto by you 70-X). The most obvious aspect of this new driver is the accuracy. I firmly agree with everyone that it just wants to go straight. I hit 8 of 9 fairways with this club with most of them being right down the middle of the fairway. The one fairway I missed was just a really BAD swing. But the point is that it took a really bad swing to miss the fairway. I would say in those conditions I was still averaging 290 yards so I know yardage/distance will not be an issue with this club, however even if it was no longer than the driver mentioned above the accuracy would be well worth the change. With this shaft combo, I did not notice that high ball flight that people have mentioned on this site, it was a good boring flat ball flight that looked like it will get good roll once the fairways firm up.

Anyone interested in this driver would be well served to try it out atleast before passing to another option. I can't wait to try this thing with warm weather, thinner air and firm fairways.

AWESOME to hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wait till ya hit in prime conditions :cheesy:

I have decided to drink the Kool Aid. After reading over 1500 posts, I could no longer hold out. I have a question regarding shafts. I used to play a NV-65 (stiff) in my old G2. After reading about people's experience with the stock shaft, I went ahead and purchased a PM702 (stiff). The question I have, is what kind of trajectory can I expect from the PM702? Is is similar to the NV-65? My SS is between 105-110 and with the NV-65 I would consider my trajecory as Mid.

Cheers

I am STILL waiting to hear a comparison between the XLS Tour and the L4V X. Someone has to have hit both. Robopti? Anyone?

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I hit the XLS tour briefly during a demo day. I was not happy with the XLS at all. It felt wobbly at impact. I can't describe it any better than that. Since I hadn't been playing for a couple of months before that demo day, I figure it could be me but I didn't have any troubles with the other 3-4 dozen clubs I hit that day. I was surprised.

The L4V is very solid, OTOH.

I am STILL waiting to hear a comparison between the XLS Tour and the L4V X. Someone has to have hit both. Robopti? Anyone?

God Bless

Jer

That was weeks ago .... XLS TOUR went bye bye QUICKLY !!!!!!!!!!

Truth be told - XL Tour is INFINTELY better than XLS Tour in my opinion ...

Just my opinion

I will say the XLS hybrid is the BEST I have ever hit . The driver was good - but not great