Mizuno MX-500 Driver

dtwainright

…gimmie some dirt
Just heard about this driver, and want to know your thoughts. Looks pretty sharp…and not too expensive.

Nice website here: Waveland Golf: MX-500

• Anybody hit one?
• What’s the shaft like?
• Good sound? Good feel?
• Distance? Forgiveness?
• Overall thoughts? Worth checking out?

Thanks,
Tyler

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard about this driver, and want to know your thoughts. Looks pretty sharp…and not too expensive.

• Anybody hit one?

• What’s the shaft like?

• Good sound? Good feel?

• Distance? Forgiveness?

Thanks,

Tyler

67723[/snapback]

As a Mizuno guy, I wanted to like it but it just seems "average" at best. The G5 seemed to have better results, but the SQ blew it away on distance. I'll wait until next year when they are on deep discount again.

• Anybody hit one?

• What’s the shaft like?

• Good sound? Good feel?

• Distance? Forgiveness?

Thanks,

Tyler

67723[/snapback]

I just spent the last 2 weeks playing and testing the new mx-500 against my current mp-001. Same setup, NVS65stiff shaft. I wasn't impressed from the start. Maybe a little higher trajectory but no longer in distance, actually a little shorter than the mp-001 for me anyway. I think for Mizuno drivers , the best feel, forgiveness and distance was with the MP-001. Sold the mx-500 on ebay. Now if you want distance, on pured hits, the nike SQ was 18-20 yards longer than the mp-001 according to my skygolf gps.

I just spent the last 2 weeks playing and testing the new mx-500 against my current mp-001.  Same setup, NVS65stiff shaft.  I wasn't impressed from the start.  Maybe a little higher trajectory but no longer in distance, actually  a little shorter than the mp-001 for me anyway.  I think for Mizuno drivers , the best feel, forgiveness and distance was with the MP-001.  Sold the mx-500 on ebay.  Now if you want distance, on pured hits, the nike SQ was 18-20 yards longer than the mp-001 according to my skygolf gps.

68281[/snapback]

Dang, I was hoping Mizuno had a hit with this new driver. I'm waiting on them to have a really great driver. The MP-001 FW was awesome. Oh well, there's always next year, I guess.

I just spent the last 2 weeks playing and testing the new mx-500 against my current mp-001.  Same setup, NVS65stiff shaft.  I wasn't impressed from the start.  Maybe a little higher trajectory but no longer in distance, actually  a little shorter than the mp-001 for me anyway.  I think for Mizuno drivers , the best feel, forgiveness and distance was with the MP-001.  Sold the mx-500 on ebay.  Now if you want distance, on pured hits, the nike SQ was 18-20 yards longer than the mp-001 according to my skygolf gps.

68281[/snapback]

Dang, I was hoping Mizuno had a hit with this new driver. I'm waiting on them to have a really great driver. The MP-001 FW was awesome. Oh well, there's always next year, I guess.

68297[/snapback]

I was so excited I pre ordered it in august so after I hit it I was disappointed. The MP-001 in my opinion is an excellent driver and I still have that in the bag although it may get bumped by the SQ. I love my mp-001 3 and 5 wood. I don't see them going anywhere for a long time.

I was so excited I pre ordered it in august so after I hit it I was disappointed. The MP-001 in my opinion is an excellent driver and I still have that in the bag although it may get bumped by the SQ.  I love my mp-001 3 and 5 wood.  I don't see them going anywhere for a long time.

68398[/snapback]

what shaft was in it ?? I am ordering one today with a Striper Tour 70, an unusual upgrade but that's how it came into the shop so can't complain. Harrison shafts are pretty good.

What exactly disappointed you ?? I have used numerous drivers lately and they all pretty much perform the same, nothing really stands out from the crowd.... here's hoping the Striper may be the beast....

Pete

I was so excited I pre ordered it in august so after I hit it I was disappointed. The MP-001 in my opinion is an excellent driver and I still have that in the bag although it may get bumped by the SQ.  I love my mp-001 3 and 5 wood.  I don't see them going anywhere for a long time.

68398[/snapback]

what shaft was in it ?? I am ordering one today with a Striper Tour 70, an unusual upgrade but that's how it came into the shop so can't complain. Harrison shafts are pretty good.

What exactly disappointed you ?? I have used numerous drivers lately and they all pretty much perform the same, nothing really stands out from the crowd.... here's hoping the Striper may be the beast....

Pete

68430[/snapback]

I had it custom made from Mizuno with the Aldila NVS 65 Stiff which is a shaft that works very well for me. It's a good driver no doubt, but it didn't wow me. It performed the same as my mp-001 with an edge in distance and feel going to the mp-001. I like the mp-001 so much I was excited to get my hands on the mx-500 thinking it would be even better but it was about the same or even a little less in performance.

I've hit alot of drivers lately and most recently played a round with my mp-001 going up against the Nike SQ. The SQ on 3 different holes, with both drivers pured, hit it 18-20 yards past my mp-001 according to my skygolf gps. The SQ for me has been a pleasant suprise so far. More testing to come including a Cobra Fspeed I have on order.

This web site is great! Thanks for all the feedback!

My current driver is a custom made P.O.S. :help: and I think anyting will be better than my current set up. I have a nice shaft (NVS), but the head is what sucks.

Pete: How did you order yours with a custom shaft? Did you contact Mizuno directly?

How was the control compared to the SQ? Of course I want more distance, but control and cost are both very important to me (just had a little girl :tongue: ). What about the sound?

Regards,

Tyler

If control and cost are concerns of yours there are other options people on here could recommend. The Cobra 460 SZ would be a good choice--some people don't like the sound, but that's the least of my concerns. A Callaway 454 might be another good option and you can find some good deals at callawaypreowned.com if you're looking to buy used.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

This web site is great! Thanks for all the feedback!

My current driver is a custom made P.O.S. :help: and I think anyting will be better than my current set up. I have a nice shaft (NVS), but the head is what sucks.

Pete: How did you order yours with a custom shaft? Did you contact Mizuno directly?

How was the control compared to the SQ? Of course I want more distance, but control and cost are both very important to me (just had a little girl :tongue: ). What about the sound?

Regards,

Tyler

68734[/snapback]

Tyler, I ordered the custom mizuno club from TGW.com, it' a good place to shop but not the cheapest. I had a gift certificate to use that's why I ordered from there. Discountdansgolf.com is a great place to order clubs, no sales tax, free shipping and their prices are low. IE. The Nike SQ is 249.00 compared with 299.99 most other places.

I hit the SQ 10.5* with the stock diamana regular flex shaft. I had a few balls I lost high left(I'm lefty) which I attribute to the soft shaft. If I made a smooth transition this club just launched the ball like a cannon with a slight draw or straight. I would like to demo the same loft in a stiff flex to see how that would be. It's tough to find demos lefthanded. As far as control, the mp001 is better but that is with a better shaft more suited to my swing so it's not a fair comparison.

Congratulations on the little girl. We just found out we are having our second boy so cost will be a little less ie weddings ;) . For cost, check out that website I mentioned. There are also a ton of clubs on ebay and closeouts at various golf shops. Cobra 460sz, launcher 460 to name a couple. Sounds is fine with the SQ and Mizunos, The only sound I haven't liked is the Cobras but they perform so great who cares!

-John

68734[/snapback]

Congratulations on the little girl. We just found out we are having our second boy so cost will be a little less ie weddings :help: . For cost, check out that website I mentioned. There are also a ton of clubs on ebay and closeouts at various golf shops. Cobra 460sz, launcher 460 to name a couple. Sounds is fine with the SQ and Mizunos, The only sound I haven't liked is the Cobras but they perform so great who cares!

-John

68825[/snapback]

Congrats on your news (sorry I haven't reply sooner, but holidays with a little baby are hectic!)! I can only imagine the wedding...she's already got 10x the clothes my wife has! :tongue:

Thanks for your feedback, and I'll have to keep my eye out for one of these drivers here in town.

Regards,

Tyler

Well contrary to others here, I hit the MX-500 10.5*w/stock exsar 50 vs. my MP-400 10* w/UST V2 55......close in wgt and torque. The MP-001 has been a consistent performer for me with different shafts and not a bomber long enough. Well today I played a familiar course and while hitting the MP-001 decent distances the MX-500 blew it out of the water!!!

A solid 20yds with ease and a less loopy,floaty flight than the Cleveland Comp.

So the morale is ..............don't knock it until you try it!! :)

I went to a demo day last saturday and hit the Mizuno, an FT3, a G5 and the Cleveland Comp. For me, the best drivers were the Mizuno comp and the G5. I tried many different shaft/loft setups for each driver, and never found anything that worked for the FT3 and the Cleveland Comp. FT3 was wild. The Mizuno felt great, had a good look at address, and I got great results from it. First I tried the Mizuno with high loft and low launch shaft, which didn't work so great but felt good, and then I reversed with low loft and high launch shaft, and I was hitting around 280 on the LM with my swing speed around 108--and with much more control than the FT3. It's really impossible to give a review because it all depends on the loft/shaft/launch angle/spin, and then there's feel and looks. Overall, I liked the club and walked out of demo day thinking that I hit clubs I wasn't thinking about buying. It's worth getting fitted for I'd say.

Mizuno's lines can be summed up thusly: MP-xxx are for players, MX-xxx are game improvement. The MX-500 falls into the game improvement category vs the MP-001 as the player's driver. This may explain some of the feedback elsewhere in this thread.

Hope this helps somewhat.

This might be true but when the head is 460 there isn't much of a being a "player" needed.........all these clubs are forgiving and high launch. The club looks better att address than the sexy Cleveland Comp and longer with stock shaft than anything else I've tried. HIGH LAUNCH + LOW SPIN = :)

All:

Thanks for all the great information. (Keep it coming!) I love the tech-y look of this club..

I know that everyone can have very different experiences based on many different factors...but I really enjoy hearing what you guys have to say.

One thing that I'm not really able to do, at least no very easily, is to demo different lofts and shafts...so your experience is very helpful.

Regards,

Tyler

I have an 8.5. When I first picked it up-man was it solid, but did not go as far as I thought it should. Not that the stock shaft was bad, but just not any kick. I put in a Proforce V2 and it is awesome-knocked out a couple of tour clubs. It has very solid feel and sits very square for a retail head other than Titleist.

• Anybody hit one?

• What’s the shaft like?

• Good sound? Good feel?

• Distance? Forgiveness?

Thanks,

Tyler

Pretty nice driver except for the large unattractive logo on the crown. The real interesting new Mizuno model is the MP-003 that has two weights. Hopefully that will be here next summer.