Recent Stories of Those Who Went Back in Time

Jaygolf37

Until my wife sells off my stash one day, I will always find my way back to some of the oldie but goodies.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5Β ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

For me what is in my signature--- I do stray from time to time but always come back to old Macgregor irons in some shape or form--- I split my playing time from the modern metal woods to persimmon also

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @"BIG STU" said:

> For me what is in my signature--- I do stray from time to time but always come back to old Macgregor irons in some shape or form--- I split my playing time from the modern metal woods to persimmon also

Β 

1980 MacGregor!! STU you're on the wrong thread, this is for guys who think 2003 or 2010 clubs are like relics from young Tom Morris era. Saw some classic club guys posting on this one, they have wandered far away from the home base. LOL

• Like 1

> @mocokid said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > For me what is in my signature--- I do stray from time to time but always come back to old Macgregor irons in some shape or form--- I split my playing time from the modern metal woods to persimmon also

>

> 1980 MacGregor!! STU you're on the wrong thread, this is for guys who think 2003 or 2010 clubs are like relics from young Tom Morris era. Saw some classic club guys posting on this one, they have wandered far away from the home base. LOL

Β 

Well Kid it is one of those kind of days BORING---- I am home kinda under the weather ( bad cold) and it is raining and cold and we are expecting some kind of coastal storm tomorrow with 40 mph winds and more rain. LOL I guess I would have blown some minds by saying well I was somewhat modern a month or so ago hitting my forged KZGs which were made in 08 or 09. I guess I could of properly answered the OP's question 'well I went back in time a few weeks ago from my 1980 Macgregors to my 1962 FC-4000s or my 1954 Hogan Precisions"

> @"Aviador Naval" said:

> I put a ~2005-2006 original Cleveland Ti Launcher fairway back in bag for the umpteenth time. Smaller footprint by today’s standards. Only 15 deg club I’ve been able to hit reliably from turf. Currently playing a Mn-Bn Anser I bought in 1989. Like the lighter head weight. Just got some MP20 mid and short irons which are basically a redo of the TN-87s.

>

> Changes driven by a mix of functionality (fw), variety (putter), and irrational ho’ing (irons).

Β 

I've been playing my 13* launcher fairway for a long time (excluding my recent return after 7 year hiatus). I still hit it pure first swing back.

Β 

...from my cold dead hands!

> @t8er said:

> Picked up a set of mint Taylormade R7 Forged (Japan) irons this past summer. Threw some KBS black $-Tapers in them. Had them in 2008 or 09 for about a year and have regretted selling them ever since.

Β 

Β 

I still have my JDM R7 Forged from 2007-2008. I did

a reshaft to Recoils several years ago. My "mudders"

they have a sole grind that works great in soft and

muddy conditions. This past year was much wetter

than normal , and in my bag for probably a dozen

rounds. ( pictures below , 21Β° 3iron thru 48Β° PW)

Β 

Β 

> @"BIG STU" said:

> For me what is in my signature--- I do stray from time to time but always come back to old Macgregor irons in some shape or form--- I split my playing time from the modern metal woods to persimmon also

Β 

Great to hear from you, STU!

Β 

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to β€œadjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @14max said:

> "Back in time" doesn't mean being a Luddite...

Β 

Not even close. Just failing to justify an expense for a newer technology that doesn’t produce better scores for this golfer...and I’ve never destroyed any Colton or woolen mills in my days...

Β 

Β 

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

> @Jaygolf37 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > For me what is in my signature--- I do stray from time to time but always come back to old Macgregor irons in some shape or form--- I split my playing time from the modern metal woods to persimmon also

>

> Great to hear from you, STU!

>

Β 

Likewise here old buddy

> @Matt70 said:

> I use late 80’s Greg Norman blanks hand shaped by Don White, NCW persimmon driver, Callaway X hot 3 wood and Odyssey 440 blade putter!

>

> Cheeses off the gang when the greatest and latest can’t keep up with the persimmon!!

Β 

I usually keep up pretty well--- A few months ago my wife and I were playing. Some younger tourist guys showed up. One of them had a set of Redlines in his bag along with modern metals. I was bagging my 62 FC-4000 Macs that day with persimmon driver and fairways. The younger guy and myself got to talking. He plays the Redlines all the time. I told them to go on that my wife was slow. From what I saw he did them justice. After the round I asked his friends how he did. They told me he kicked butt but added he always does. Note his friends had all the latest and greatest

• Like 1

"Back in time" is relative, like everything else! I posted about using PING i5 irons thinking they were ancient. The EYE 2 guys blew that away and then Big Stu enters with his usual bag of awesome classics. Still waiting for the hickory guys. Fun thread! :)

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @Jaygolf37 said:

> > @14max said:

> > "Back in time" doesn't mean being a Luddite...

>

> Not even close. Just failing to justify an expense for a newer technology that doesn’t produce better scores for this golfer...and I’ve never destroyed any Colton or woolen mills in my days...

>

>

Β 

I was simply putting the comment out there since some of the older crowd may see the inclusion of any club manufactured past 1970 as unworthy of consideration...

DriverΒ PING G SF Tec

WoodΒ PING G (18.5*)

IronsΒ PING G30 (6-SW)

PutterΒ PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Β 

> @14max said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > > @14max said:

> > > "Back in time" doesn't mean being a Luddite...

> >

> > Not even close. Just failing to justify an expense for a newer technology that doesn’t produce better scores for this golfer...and I’ve never destroyed any Colton or woolen mills in my days...

> >

> >

>

> I was simply putting the comment out there since some of the older crowd may see the inclusion of any club manufactured past 1970 as unworthy of consideration...

Β 

Β 

Based on the discussions in the Classic Golf folders, I don't know that there are more than a couple who feel that way. A great many generally prefer playing the older sticks, but most have modern clubs they also use regularly. Those that choose not to play newer only do so because of getting a greater enjoyment from doing so.

Β 

Fair bit of generalization there, but I like to think it's captured moderately well.

Β 

Speaking for myself, I fit the above, find myself really enjoying playing golf the way it was prior to 1979, even if some of the sticks I use are from after that date. I'm also an inveterate tinkerer with a heavy dosage of nerd in my nature, which lends itself to the modern drivers and fairways. And even hybrids. So, I find myself going back and forth.

Β 

Which may suit me. At golf forum outings, I would play different clubs each day, and even have swapped out the entire bag at the turn...

Β 

Β 

The Ever Changing Bag!Β  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods:Β King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:Β  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 SΒ 

Irons grab bag:Β  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:Β  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or-Β Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or-Β Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:Β  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm back tp playing with my 1978 Wilson staff tour blades 3-sw and loving them. Love the oldschool lofts, the shorter shaft length and the thin soles. Even at my ripe old age I have no problem hitting the long irons high enough. Just don't go overly far. Must be the COG of the head making them easy to launch. Still have my Sonartec 3 wood and v-steel 5 wood which have not left the bag for 10 years. Thinking about going back to my 983e driver too but unlike the irons I need distance from my driver on the modern layouts.

• Like 1

> @14max said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > > @14max said:

> > > "Back in time" doesn't mean being a Luddite...

> >

> > Not even close. Just failing to justify an expense for a newer technology that doesn’t produce better scores for this golfer...and I’ve never destroyed any Colton or woolen mills in my days...

> >

> >

>

> I was simply putting the comment out there since some of the older crowd may see the inclusion of any club manufactured past 1970 as unworthy of consideration...

Β 

Β 

No worries. And posts like those from Stu force me to concede your point! As fast as manufacturers come out with new clubs, I figured that any club that’s 20 years old may have been promoted with cave paintings.

Β 

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Here is a discovery that I’ve made in this process: I can play my older irons, that spin the ball more with a lesser spinning ball(NXT or Tour Soft). The added distance by reduced spin from the driver and 3W is a bonus. I get all the spin I need (for how I play) with my scoring irons. Just a thought.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

I had this set of Ben Hogan Apex built for me back in

late 1999 by the Ft Worth custom shop. This was after

my first hand surgery. They were my " re-hab" irons

that I intended to reshaft after my hand got

better. Did not have the heart to pull apart my one

of a kind beauty's, so I have kept them around for

when I got old and slow...

Β 

I am now old and slow. The graphite Apex 3 shafts

work well with my present swing , and have been in

my bag bag along with my Hogan Beryllium wedges

anytime the course gets firm and fast.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I walk nine at a local state park whenever I can. It’s fun to mix up the bag every few walks. Ping i3+ get swapped in occasionally. And when I feel good about my swing and need a dose of humility, some Pixl blades go in (and soon after come out).

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50Β° and 60Β°, Cleveland RDX 56Β°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

Nope lots of us crazy iron hoe's on this site. Funny how something old is new again, the i5's always seem be one of the favourites for many a Ping fan. I had been keeping an eye out on a set on Ebay, 5-pw with KBS V110 shafts for $100, thinking I need another set of clubs like I need another hole in my head. I held off. Was looking at "What are the Best/Top Ping irons ever made?" thread. Lots of love for the i5's, one of the posters had mentioned he just bought a set of i5's on Ebay. Holy crap!!!!!! I'm thinking someone snagged my babies off Ebay. Well they were still available, so I hit the magic button, they are on their way as we speak. Funny after looking at that thread again I realized it was from 2012. Ow well, I'm still pumped to get the i5's after all these years.

Glad too see your having great results with yours. So the i5's have knocked out all the recent contender's?Bookmark

Yes sir, they have. I don’t know what it is, but I really hit these well. While they default to high-ish trajectory, I can easily hit knockdowns with them, or hoist them up in the air. Draws and fades have always been something I could do with most irons. Trajectory control with an iron this forgiving is something that some would call a unicorn. And, to top it off, these have sneaky-good feel.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

I find myself going back (or staying with) older equipment, partly because I have good memories with them. The biggest being my Cleveland Classic 310 8.5* driver (Aldila VS Proto 70X), because when I look down at it, it gives me a ton of confidence. Every time I take it out of the bag, then put it back in, I think about why I ever took it out in the first place. I am also gaming Adams Idea Pro CMB forged irons, which are amazing!

I got fitted by Titleist certified fitter, he mentioned I had an interesting problem versus most people he fits. I actually launch high, without enough spin (<2000) for my SS (96mph). I've made some swing adjustments to address these issues and went with a TS2 w/ 44.5" Hazardous Yellow, have been playing it and love it.

I then had the idea of pulling out my (highly cared for) 905R w/ Diamana Blue, thinking the head would produce a bit more spin vs. the TS2. There's a range here in the Bay Area that has decent launch monitors outdoors (carry distance and ballspeed only), so I went there to get the side by side. With similar ball speed, the 905R carried 6 yards farther on average! I played the 905R a few rounds and it was like seeing an old friend again. Fairway finder with a strong ballflight. I need to go to a place with spin numbers, but I would guess that the 905R put me into a more optimal spin range. It was more punishing if I fanned one, I'm guessing the backspin numbers were off the charts. Still love this club!

Β 

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3Β 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816Β 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Found myself a set of MP 57’s at the Golf Clearance Outlet in Clayton about 6 months ago. The 3 iron had never been hit and the other irons were struck only a few times! Picked them up for 200 bucks! Went from a set of X Hot Pro’s that we’re hot as off the face! To the most amazing set of irons that I have ever hit! They are about 7m shorter of the bat but you don’t get the hot middled bombs! Had the irons bent a degree upright and lengthened quarter inch which cost me another 150 bucks with new grips! They are ace! Handicap has dropped from 6.7 to 3.6! Love them!!!!