My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

Saturday was a disaster. I started out great by paring #1, par 4, for the first time. I hit it in two which is also a first. Bogey on 2 and things started to fall apart on me off and on. I had a couple solid holes and a bunch on clunkers. That led to my post Sunday about my approach. Consistency is going to be required and that won't happen unless I practice.

Sunday I played 18 on a course I have played twice previously. Shot a 98 with 3 8s on the card. Started out par, par, double, birdie, bogey. Shot 49/49, with two 8s on par 4s on the front and a double bogey 7. The round had 1 birdie, 3 pars, 7 bogies, 3 doubles, and 4 triple+. I felt good about my swing throughout the round, even with the issues I had. I stuck with driver for tee shots except on holes where it didn't make sense and hit 11/14 fairways for the round. I was bummed by the blow ups but very happy with how I started the round even though I wasn't always hitting the ball well. Best shot of the day was on 18. Teed off with a 4i downwind and hit a perfect high draw that went 205 yards, lol. Caught a slight down slope as well

I'm taking some time off this week and played 18 today and will play 18 tomorrow. I have not lost sight of the need to practice. Birthday this week and my wife suggested I take a couple days off and play 18 a few weeks ago. I can't turn that down :)

It was around 72 and overcast with showers off and on throughout my round. So the course was wet as was I. Lol. I remembered my umbrella this time. I used driver throughout the round again except for holes where I shouldn't. Went 45/49 for a 94 which ties my best 18 hole rounds since coming back. Had three pars, 3 bogeys, and three doubles on the front with no penalty strokes. The back was another story, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles, and a triple. I had two penalty strokes on the back, one led to the triple and the other led to a bogey when I hit my SW 47 yards, to an elevated green, so blind shot and put it 2 feet from the hole.

I hit 9/14 fairways with 8/18 GIRS. Managed a 247 yard drive into the fairway on #7 as well. My putting broke down a bit on the back but I also had some very long first putts aka 46 and 63 feet. The rain didn't bug me, I just had some mishits. I played smart and within myself. I used the 5i to tee off on #5 and #9 again and that is working well. On #5 I hit a nice draw down the right side that landed on the cart path, so it went 197 yards but didn't go into the stream when it kicked left. So I think I'm okay using that club versus the 4i on this hole.

The biggest thing with the last two 18s is I felt relaxed throughout the round. Saturday, I don't know what happened, but I kept an even keel throughout that debacle as well. I just couldn't hit the ball that day. I am learning some stuff though, particularly with using irons to chip. So my mistakes do have a silver lining. So still a long way to go but I feel better about things.

Someone here commented on 'going long vs short' when approaching the green. Sure, Hogan said the trouble in front of your eyes is easier to deal with, so why go long to the unknown?

However, i have found with handicap golfers, that's me for sure, do not generally approach the green, say from 100 yrds in, with authority but rather with insecurity and low confidence. Result is fat, thin shots, worm-burners, etc.

My current plan is hit it hard with confidence, with less club in hand. So if i take a 56* wedge and go 90 yards, and over the green with a high straight ball flight, just as i planned, frankly i'm thrilled to hit the ball so well. Much more confidence boosting than creeping up towards the hole with 3 chip shots.

I'll get into trouble at times over the green but as the season wears on, i'll improve distance control through confidence and consistency.

Hogan was obviously not a high handicap golfer. And yes, it is often better to be shorter than long. Greens are usually sloped from the back, theres usually more green to the pin, and of course the trouble is known. All fair points. However, Hogan is talking about a well struck shot being 10 yards short or 10 yards long. Mostly an issue of club selection.

For amateur golfers, I constantly see a fear in people of going long. They play to the hole, and constantly end up short. True for irons, wedges, even the putter. This mentality really hurts some players. I played with a group of 3 higher handicap golfer this weekend and only saw 1 pitch go past the hole and it was bladed badly. Saw about 30 end up well short. Again 1 long, 30 short. Almost became comical, not to offend them, but as the were hitting from 40 yards I could tell it was short at the top of the backswing. They were scared to hit the ball the distance and never gave it a chance. And the ball would land 5 yards short of the green. And then the next chip would be 14 feet short of the pin. And then the putt on the perfect line but 3 feet short. Now its a double bogey just from being timid. Somehow this appeases the brain as you are building up toward to goal. And for some reason going past seems traumatic. One blade over the green and you thinking I never want to do that again so you half hit every shot afterwards. And for some reason being 10 yards short doesnt replicate the mental response. Now its, well at least its not over the back.

I like your plan to hit with confidence. Make an aggressive stroke, because at least you are committed to something. I made some mental changes to my game that started on the chipping practice range. The game become to try to hit the flag. Don't worry about being close, just hit the flag. To do so, your intended landing spot has to be a few feet past the flag. Short shots are no good, only shots right at or past the landing zone have a chance. Obviously, I don't take the exact game to the course. But the practice is the same. Pick out a landing spot on the green, and land the chip at or past that spot, but not short.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

@SNIPERBBB I will be. It helps to see some good things since I know I can build on it if I put in the time.
@jobin I think it was @scooterhd2 who brought up being short to me months ago. That's when I tried to commit to not underclubbing because of that one time i hit my 5i 195 yards. So I took more club until I started to hit over/past the green. For example, I started off with hitting my 6i on the two par 3s on the front. Eventually I started to make solid enough contact to fly the green on a well struck ball, not a thin/blade. Then I started to use my 7i on those holes and it's worked out great. I think one hole will turn into my 8i unless the flag is back. Long is bad on my course for the reasons mentioned. Greens sloping away from you. The greens are the defense of my course. They have slopes, spines, and tiers scattered about. Missing to the wrong spot is painful, I've found out the hard way.

That said, I still come up short at times but those are mostly chunked shots now. The exception will be the approaches with my 7w and 4w. I'm gonna be short if I'm 200 yards out with my 4w most of the time.

Yesterday's 18 wasn't great. It rained all morning and stopped maybe an hour before my tee time. I had to wear my rain gloves because of the humidity affecting my grip. I guess I should have tested out the long sleeve shirt I picked up to go under my polo to help reduce sweat from my arms messing with my grip. The wet conditions only mattered on one hole, #14. I hit a skyball drive that plugged when it landed and I made the mistake of trying to hit my 4w from that spot. It was very squishy and I hit it real fat. I also had issues by the green because of it being soft.

Started out good with bogey on #1 and a par on 2. Had a decent tee shot on #3 and then hit a worm burner with my 4w. It was rolling real good and hit the only 'carts' sign that was about 70 yards in front of the green. You know the little ones with the arrow that mean cart path only... Lol, had some struggles from there.

I stayed with driver again. 11/14 fairways hit. My miss left was a 5i off the tee on #11 and then 2 drivers that missed right and were both unplayable. Distance wasn't awesome but things are softer out there and they haven't mowed the fairways in a few days, so things were a bit 'furry'. Only 4/18 GIRS but I did birdie a par 3. I did hit a couple irons over or off the back of the green though.

I'm seeing some progress with my driver and irons overall. I feel okay hitting driver off the tee since I am keeping it mostly in play with a couple exceptions each round. It's a big improvement over what it was like a few months ago where it always went right regardless.

I thought I might get Every Shot Counts for my birthday but my wife went down a completely different path and surprised me. It also explains why she wanted me out of the house golfing.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Bortass! What a great day for you! Congrats!

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

In honor of your progress and your birthday, I went to the range today to work on my own game. I've not played much in the last 10 weeks (3 rounds) and wanted to spend some time with my swing. I had been working on tempo and smoothing out transition at the top leading to a full release. This feels so much easier on my body and I'm carrying the same distances. I carried only my 54* Wedge, 8 iron and Driver. After some loosening up I started with some wedges, mid range 50 yard pitches first, then working to full swings and then worked on flighting some shots down as I can tend to hit shots high. 25 balls or so.

Then moved to the 8 iron, focused on smooth full swings. Not being aggressive, again, full turn, smooth swings. I worked on flighting this down as well and then a slight baby cut shot, which I struggle with. My misses here were 4 "thins", which were better misses than the 2 "fat" misses earlier.

Then came out the Driver. I've made some modifications recently and have been working with weighting. Again, focus was on tempo, smooth transition and smooth acceleration to a full turn & release. I had been struggling with hooks reappearing recently, but am very pleased with today's session. I was generally straight and on target, with a flight that seemed both high and penetrating at the same time. I did experiment with a slight fade pretty successfully (which I struggle with hitting in irons), and found that I could hit my natural draw, but if I got even a bit aggressive it became the dreaded hook I'm working to avoid. So I went back to hitting straight/slight cut full shots. I finished with a few solid on target drives, before returning to another dozen 8 irons, hitting my normal shot, and trying to stay on target. I then finished with half a dozen wedges. I'm generally pleased as I think I'm beginning to reestablish a more solid foundation for my tempo with emphasis on the smooth transition. I'm looking forward to my next round. Hopefully this weekend.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

@berndgeurts Thanks, it was a complete surprise. We've talked about getting one in the fall since we can use it to go to the club and around the subdivision. Guess she's spent 3-4 weeks working on it. 2017 refurbished cart and it looks brand new. Guess it will cut into my walking some but it may make it easier to golf more, lol.
@Twin2L That sounds like a great range session. If you're not taking lessons or following a specific swing pattern consider checking out the Manuel de le Torre threads here, if you haven';t already. I am liking what I am seeing and it has simplified things on the course for me because it has nothing to do with positions. Swing the club over the right shoulder, swing the club to the target, and let the body react to the swing versus trying to make it move a certain way.

Now I went to the range too but my results were not as positive. I did some pitches which were very good. Also threw in some longer chips, on the range, with my 8i just to work on the feel of things. For the heck of it I hit a flop with the 8i too. Was kinda funny but it worked, lol. I did some work in the bunker as well and it was mostly positive. My sand play is not good lately, so I need to spend some time working on things again.

Full swing was mostly 7/8 irons with some 5i and 7w thrown in. Results weren't as good but I was playing around with ball position etc. Hit a number of push fades and shanks too. One big thing I am trying to work on is just letting my body react to the swinging of the club. I get real good results when I do that. It'll take a whilebut will be worth it. Oh, tempo as well with a sooth swing..

I'm hoping to hit the range again today.

Have a good one.

Today's range session was similar to yesterday's. I may have figured out how to get out of our firm bunkers better. I used a square face and let my SW dig and the results were promising. Opening the face was causing the call to either come out sideways with no distance or get bladed. Not sure how correct this is but I'll see how it goes on the course. Pitches with the niblick, GW, and 8i went pretty good. Full swing is still a mixed bag though. I'll do my best to just swing the club while playing tomorrow and not try different things like I was on the range.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• Like 1

@berndgeurts Those will happen. Sometimes things just don't go well out there, lol.

Played 18 Saturday and Sunday. I'll talk about Sunday first. Low 80s sunny with a small breeze but nothing significant. Also a late afternoon round, so everything was dry. We were given some free play and cart passes when we joined the club and yesterday(Sunday) was the last day to use them. So we invited a friend of the stepdaughter and he brought another friend from the golf team with him. We played the white tees which are a little longer then my normal forward ones. The shot of the day wasn't mine. Stepdaughters friend drove the green on #15, 265 yards on the card. He waited for it to clear and put his tee shot in the back fringe maybe a yard off the green. Must be nice to be long and straight....lol.

The whites are about 480 yards longer than the teal forward tees I normally play. The added distance is negligible except for on 3 or 4 holes. Based on course HCP the whites are 4 strokes harder. Overall it had no affect on my game which is no surprise to me. I shot a 50/50 100. I struggled with tops and thins. I was fat on a few drives as well. My shot of the day was on #12. I hit a great drive with my 4w, 206 yards, into the fairway. I mishit my 9i, high and short of the green. I used my niblick to chip and holed out, 18 yard shot, for birdie.

I used the niblick to chip and pitch this round and had good results over all. I didn't blade or leave any real short. I used the bounce and felt real good about it. So I thing this is a good sign. I also used the 'new' sand shot with better results but it still needs work.

I hit 10/14 fairways but only 1 GIR , thanks to my mishits. There were 3 penalties in the mix, only 1 was off the tee.

I wasn't pleased with the mishits but it's typical for me. Hopefully more range time will start to help me smooth things out.

Saturdays round. Low 80s, sunny, and a bit humid since it was a morning round and there was dew everyplace. I rode instead of walked. Also played the normal forward tees.

1 - longer par 4, I hit driver off the tee and it was an okay fade 185 yards into the fairway on the right side near the clump of trees I talk about. The flag is on the left side of the green, so the tree branches that overhand the fairway are not in play unless I hit a bad push. I hit my 4w and it's a strong, low draw. It lands short of the green on the left and rolls up the embankment and the ball stops in the fringe just short of the green. I use my putter to chip and get the ball to a foot. I get my second par on this hole!

2 - par 3, flag is left. The green slopes back right to front left, so I aim mid and hit a high draw a touch left with my 7i, 139 yards( level hole), and I'm 6 feet left and a little short of the flag. I two putt for another par.

Off to a good start.

3 - par 5, dogleg right. I aim too far left and hit a low draw, 190 yards, into the first fairway bunker that's on the outside edge of the corner. My ball is a yard short of the side lip. I don't dare hit an iron and risk having the ball hit the lip which is probably 4 - 6 inches high. I take my SW and keep the club square, so it'll dig, and hit it out of the bunker 23 yards. I'm now in the fairway and out of range of the green still. I hit my 4w and it's a solid low draw that goes 192 yards. I'm about 60 yards from center now. I take my GW and hit a partial shot. It comes out high and lands on the green, stopping 4 feet from the hole, 58 yard shot. I miss the par putt low and "settle" for a bogey.

4 - shorter par 4. I hit a slice with my driver and it maybe in the right trees... I go up and find my ball on the cart path. It must have landed short of the trees and the slope kicked it towards the cart path. I dodged a bullet here. I'm about 115 from center and hit my 8i. It's a high push that goes 105 yards and lands on the green, stopping about 14 feet from the flag. I two putt for my par,

Feeling great about things.

5 - par 5, dogleg right. There is a stream on the left near the corner. I tee off with my 5i and hit a push 149 yards onto the flat area that's on the slope to the right of this fairway. I've been up here a number of times. Trees block out going towards the green unless you go over them. I do hit my irons high enough to do that but it's not worth the risk of being low or blading it. I aim left of the trees and go with my 7i. I have hit my 6i from here a few times and it's gone long and left me with a ball below my feet lie when it goes through the fairway. I hit a nice high draw 135 yards into the fairway below me. I'm not about 150ish out on the left side of the fairway. The ball is below my feet a little and I hit my 4i. I figure the ball being Below me means it won't go as far with the restricted swing. I hit a push fade that clips a well right and short of the green. The ball drops near the stream on that side but it playable. I use my GW to hit a low pitch to the green and pull it. It goes 46 yards and almost rolls into the stream that fronts the green on the left side. Sigh. I use my 7i to chip to 14 feet and two putt for a nice 7 with no penalties.

Oh well, my first double. Too bad it's on a par 5.

6 - par 4, slight dogleg left. I hit a low fade with driver, that hits the slope on the right of the fairway and kicks the ball left into the fairway. It's 189 off the tee and I have 95ish to center and go with a full PW. Tghe clubhead slides under the ball, or that's hoiw it feels, and it's a high shot that lands short of the green, 77 yards. There's nothing in my way except the slight elevation up to the green, so I chip with the 7i again and get it to 4 feet. I go and twoo putt for a bogey 5.

Blah, I had a good chance at par and messed up.

7 - par 4, dogleg right, elevated tee shot. I hit a pop up with my driver, 174 yards into the center of the fairway. It flew like a nice wedge... I'm about 165ish out and hit my 7w. I hit it fat, all of 98 yards. Hmmm. I'm about 70 from center and go with a partial PW and need to carry a bunker. I mishit it and it goes 53 yards, and right of the bunker. I have a decent amount of grass to go through and the flag is a good ways away. I decide to use my putter and I hit it way too hard and through the green... I use my putter again and leave it about 6 feet from the hole. I follow up with a two putt for a nice triple bogey 7.

My first blowup and it was all inside of 70 yards... 4 strokes from a few yards off the green. I had been leaving chips with my putter short and gave it too much of a rap...

8 - par 3, elevated tee shot and the flag is near the back on the right, so I go with 7i. I hit a high draw, 156 yards, that lands on the green on the left and it rolls into the fringe. I am close to pin high and use my putter. I leave it 5 feet short and two putt for a bogey 4.

9 - par 4 with water on the left of the fairway as you get closer to the green. I stay with 5i off the tee which has been my normal club. It's a fat shot that gets in the air and goes about 100 yards into the fairway on the right side. Not great but it's dry. I'm still about 190-200 from center. No way am I gonna try to hit a 4w to the green with the pond. I layup with a punched half 7i, 126 yards, and end up on the edge of the pond in the rough. The shot went more left than I expected. I'm about 70 yards out and hit a partial PW, 73 yards, onto the green about 18 feet from the cup. I two putt for a bogey 5.

So a 45 on the front, I won't know this till after my round. It wasn't perfect but I played solid.

10 - par 4, dogleg left. I hit a draw down the right side with my driver, 194 yards. I'm in the right rough, through the fairway on the corner. 155 or so to center and I decide to hit my 4i instead of the 7w which may go over the green. I mishit a high push fade, 141 yards, into the right side of the bunker fronting the green. I heard the ball hit a branch/leaves as it went past a tree just short of the bunker. The bunker is in the side of the slope with the green above. It's a blind shot and the green is above my head. I use my SW and barely get out of the bunker and my ball hangs up in the rought on the slope between the bunker and green. Luckily is doesn't roll back in. I use my SW to chip and get the ball to 5 feet and make the putt to save a bogey.

Dodged a bullet after a good drive.

11 - par 4, dogleg left with a stream carry on the approach. I hit my normal 5i and top it 74 yards into the fairway... I'm 190 from center and can reach with a 4w but don't like it. I decide to hit a 7i to layup short of the stream. I chunk it 38 yards. Now I'm 150ish from center and use my 5i. I hit a push fade that crosses the stream and goes into the trees on the right side of the bridge and hole. No sign on my ball, it's likely in the stream. So I drop and hit a low pitch with my niblick that doesn't reach the green. I use my putter nand hit it too hard and the ball rolls 21 feet below the hole... I go on and three putt for a nice +5, 9.

Wow, stick a fork in me. Now this is a blow up.

12 - par 4, dogleg left. I hit a bit of a push with my 4w, 184 yards into the fairway on the right near the bunker that's on the outside corner. 130 from the green and it's above me, so I use my 6i. I mishit it off the toe and it's a mid height shot that goes 120 yards and lands in the front bunker. Another bunker blind shot. I'm able to get out of the bunker but the ball rolls through the green. The flag is on the right on the upper tier and it's close to the slope of the tier as well. I use my putter to chip but I have aimed too far right, low side, and the ball reaches the tier and rolls down it and off the green. So i use the putter again and get it to 5 feet and then 2 putt for a nice 7.

So another 5 shots inside 10 yards of the flag and blow up #3 of the day.

13 - par 3, about 115 to center. Slightly uphill and tailwind. Flag is forward, so I go with my 9i. It's a mishit pull, 95 yards, into the left front bunker. I go on and have a meltdown in the bunker. Three shots and I'm still not out. I just pick up my ball write down a 6 and move on.

So my game has gone to crap around the greens.

14 - par 5, water on the right as you approach the green. It's been a rough stretch of holes but i stick with driver and tee off. it's a nice draw down the left side that ends up in the left rough, 205 yards off the tee. I'm only a few yards from the fairway and have a good lie. I aim down the left side with my 7w and hit a great fade. It goes 186 yards and stops about 50ish from center. The lake is to my right and the flag is middle. I decide to hit a low partial GW instead of a higher shot with my SW. Let the ball land short and roll. Contact is good and I end up 12 feet above the cup. I barely miss the birdie putt and walk away with a par.

Yay, a good hole at last.

15 - shorter par 4, with an elevated tee shot into a fairway that is soft and always cart path only. I hit a low pull down the left side, 182 yards, and short of the first fairway bunker( this is the hole the kid drove the green on the following day). I'm about 70 out and hit a partial PW 71 yards on on the green. I'm 15 feet from the cup and misread my first putt and it stops about 5 feet out on the low side... I end up three putting for a bogey 5.

16 - par 3, forced stream carry to a slightly elevated green and 130ish to center. The flag is back and I hit my 6i. It's a solid high draw that carries the green. 139 yards and I'm in the rough on a downslope behind the green with a bunker to go over. The green also slopes away from me. This is a very bad place to be. I take my niblick and hit a little pitch. It comes out pretty good, carries the bunker and lands in the fringe short of the green and proceeds to roll off the front of the green. maybe if I flopped with a lot of spin it would have held but that's not a shot I own. I use my putter to chip and have to go up a tier as well. My aim is off and I end up 11 feet out and three putt for a smooth triple bogey 6.

LOL. I don't know what else to do but laugh.

17 - par 4, slight dogleg left. I hit a nice draw with my driver, 206 yards, into the fairway on the left side. this really shortened the hole for me. I'm use to being near the outside corner on the right. I'm about 125-130 out, so take my 7i and lay the sod over it. The ball goes about 50 yards. So my best drive on this hole to date is wasted. I'm about 80 or so out and hit a full GW that goes 83 yards and stops 23 feet below the cup. My par putt stops about a foot from the hole, so i manage a bogey.

18 - par 5, with a forced stream carry on an approach and there is a pond fronting the green. I play it as a par 6 since I do my best to avoid the pond by playing three shots down the left, leaving me a 4th into the green. I hit a slice with my drive, 192 yards, into the fairway on the right, near a bunker. I decide to layup short of the stream with my 6i and it's a high draw that goes 137 yards. I'm on bare dirt because of washout from the stream flooding in heavy rains. I hit 6i again and it's thin but carries the stream and stops in the fairway near the furtherest corner of the pond, about 98 yard shot. I'm 60ish out and hit a partial GW that goes 56 yards and lands on the green. The ball is on the upper tier and the flag is on the lower tier and I'm about 46 feet out. I hit my putt and the tier takes it and the ball stops a few feet from the hole. So I manage the two putt for a bogey 6.

Polar opposite 9s a 45/54, 99. 4 pars, 8 bogeys, 1 double, 4 triples, and 1 +5. Only 1 penalty and I bled my strokes near the green. I was okay off the tee, 8/14 fairways hit. 4/18 greens which isn't bad for a 28 index IMO.

The bunker shots were bad this round but I stuck with the technique and it worked well for Sunday's round. I just need to trust it more because now I can hit the ball a decent distance out of a bunker with my SW. Before I struggled to get it to go 4 yards.

The total score isn't good but I am seeing progress, so i decided to post it. For the record this round, and the 100 from the Whites on Sunday have dropped my index but half a stroke.

My main plan is to keep working on full shots on the range with partial ones in the mix since I have used them a lot and they are starting to work for me. I also want to keep working on the sand shot in the practice bunker to try and refine it more for better distance control.

Practicing putting is one of my biggest weaknesses... I've been working on it this season. You have any drills that you like?

On the chipping front, once you get comfortable with your chipping practice, start trying to work in different shots... I alternate between a flop, a low runner and a "regular" shot, just to force myself to focus on contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-gdx-o1sgI had never really thought about chipping this way, but found it to be very helpful when I put it into play... to me, I almost feel like I'm throwing the club head at the ball with my hands, and I let the edge of the club and it's angle do all the work for me. I've been working on it, but more than anything I work on "knowing" where the club head is in my swing.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@Myherobobhope That's a good video. It's similar to Monte's Use the Bounce but described differently. Monte focuses on the right( rear) humerus (upper arm). You want it moving forward of the ball, he says it moves the furthest in a chip. That means your body is moving and you are accelerating through the ball. I know if I fail to do that, it's gonna be a blade when the club head overtakes the hands... I haven't been working on that chipping method since I started to use irons for a bump and run type shot. My results with it yesterday were a bit surprising.

I think it's how I warm up on the range. I'll take the niblick and hit pitch shots with it. So I get that feeling of moving in tempo with the club head trailing my hands and bouncing off the turf. I pretty much did the same thing with a slower/smaller swing and the hands a bit forward at address to deloft the club a touch. I was surprised how well it worked, though I guess holing one out will always make ya feel better about things. This will give me a couple different options to chip, an iron bump and run versus a higher wedge, if I am able to keep both types of shots competent.

The flop shot is interesting since I can hit it if forced to. It's one of the things I picked up from Phil's short game DVD years ago. I used to practice it but I think I have only hit it a couple of times in my life. It hasn't been a shot I've truly needed. I hit one for the heck of it with my 8i last week on the range to see what would happen. It came out pretty good actually. That shot could become more important later though if I improve enough.

As for putting, I do not have any drills and I don't really practice it much, if ever. I always thought I was a decent putter. I think I averaged 2.07 putts per hole over the years I kept stats on OOBGolf. My last 10 rounds I am averaging 2.1 putts per hole. Seems okay until Strokes Gained from Arrcos comes into the picture, that has me putting like a 26.4 and i'm getting worse. Going through some of my recent rounds in my head, I am two putting from 3-5 feet a lot. I think I have seen tour average is 50% at 6 feet. So I'm not gonna expect to make everything but I gotta make more than I have been. 18% 1 putt, 57.7 % 2 putt, and 24.3% 3+ putts. I don't know how much of it is still trying to adjust to bermuda greens and the speed. It's different than the slow bent grass greens I played in Maine. Of course maybe I'm using that as an excuse and I'm just being lazy.

On the facets of my game for last 10 rounds Arccos has me:
Driving like a 24.4.
Approach shots like a 27.3
Chipping like an 18.5
Sand like a 21.4
and putting like a 26.4.

So the biggest hole is approach shots which are par 3 tee shots; All non tee shots from over 50 yards out that are not considered a recovery shot from a bad tee shot. Putting is now my second worse area, sigh.

Hey, at least you are improving with the driver!

golf is like whack a mole... you spend time solving one problem and another one pops up.

i find putting practice to be one of the harder things to stay focused on and for results to translate to the course... I just spent thirty minutes rolling practice putts and feeling good, tossed the balls down on an actual hole and it was like I lost my mind.

oh well, only thing to do is to keep grinding!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@Myherobobhope It seems like whack a mole but isn't. At least, purely my opinion, if it is like whack-a-mole, something is wrong. whack-a-mole is random. My experience is when you fix an issue, a new one can be revealed. It was always there but was hidden behind the first. Maybe this is just my programmer background talking. Most people do better focusing on one thing at a time, so throw 5 issues at them, and it can get interesting. It's a challenge I face since all aspects of my game need work and I know I'm not alone in this regard.

The possible good news for me is Arccos gives me metrics that seem to be easy enough to understand and help prioritize things. I tracked all my rounds in OoB golf for years. I had a pretty detailed little system of notation on my scorecard but I don't think I ever knew what to do with it since there was no context. So a few hundred rounds of data that didn't really help me much. The strokes gained based handicaps tell me where aspects of my game fall. Having some actual club distances is real nice too.

My putting is getting worse but I am curious about something. I am hitting the green with approaches more. This could mean that my average first putt distance is going up and I am putting more pressure on my putting game. I will go back through my round descriptions to see what I have documented here regarding my first putts. Any thoughts or experience with this? Just wondering if I'm off base and looking for excuses...

Since you brought up the programming thing I have to make the joke about golf being nothing more than a complicated series of nested WHILE, IF,THEN, ELSE, DO statements

For your putting, look at your putts per GIR stat and length of first putt if available.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

All caps? Must be mainframe COBOL, lol. But yeah, golf pretty much is that way.

last 10 rounds have me at 2.1 putts per hole and 2.3 putts per GIR. My average distance for GIR 29.8 feet and chipping is 22.4, lol. I suck. Arccos considers anything inside 50 yards, excluding sand and putts, to be chipping BTW. Guess I need to start sticking it in tighter.

I had the devil's language, aka BASIC, in my head as I typed that,.

The GIR distance is livable for your goal but you're gonna need to halve at worst the chipping distance. Really would work on getting those first putts to tap in range with speed control.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

@SNIPERBBB I never did BASIC. Took a VB class but my programming was COBOL or Java. I agree about the chipping distance and I am thinking that will improve because I feel like I am getting better at it.

I managed to hit the range for a bit. I worked on pitches, half wedges, and full swing with a mix of irons, driver, and 7w. The fullswings were not good at first. Thin and what I would call a slice, also some fats. I started to play around with my posture and being a bit more upright and that seemed to help. My irons are bent flat BTW, did that many years ago. So my address position with the bad shots had the heel grounded and toe in the air. The upright was more sole flat on the ground. The ball straightened out a lot and I wasn't hitting as many fat and real thin shots. I'll keep working on things and see how it all plays out over time.

Putting, putting, putting. 'nuff said.

Well, I wish it were that easy but therein lies the issue.

Played a course Saturday that I've played three times previously. Warmed up on the range and my pitches and irons were good. Shot a 53/46 99. The amusing part? I have a birdie on the front and a quad on the back. Here's an abbreviated recap.

1 - par 5, I hit a decent drive into the right rough and then hit my 4w thin but that got me near the green. I pitch on with my niblick to 9 feet and 2 putt for bogey.

2 - par 3. I hit a nice high draw with my 8i and I'm pin high but 18 feet left of the cup. I sink the putt for birdie.

3 - par 4, skyball my drive, off the crown near the toe and left a nice idiot mark. Ball is dead behind a tree on the right, so chip into fairway and blade my 4w short of the green. CHip with my 7i but it catches some turf and it's barely on the green. I three putt from 80 feet for a triple bogey.

4 - par 4, wormburner pull with driver into the left trees. Drop, blade my PW through the green. Have a decent pitch with the niblick, to a green above and sloping away, and two putt from 13 feet for a double bogey.

5 - par 4, push driver through trees on the right near the tee boxes for #6. Gotta go between trees and keep it low. Punched 9i hits trunk and kicks at an angle to stay near #6 teeboxes but now clear of trees. SW pitch rolls just through the green. Putter chip to 8 feet and two putt for another double bogey.

6 - par 5, nice draw with my driver 246 uphill. Top the 4w. Blade the GW into a greenside bunker. Get the ball out in one but am 20 feet from the hole and 3 putt for a double bogey 7.

7 - par 4, downhill with a forced carry about 200 yards off the tee. Hit a great draw with my 4i and it goes 202 yards and into the crap through the fairway, sigh. I find the ball in some thick stuff but have a swing. I try my 8i and just drive it deeper into the crap. Drop and hit PW on about 59 feet past the flag and three putt for a triple bogey 7.

8 - par 3, blade my 5i short of the green. Chip with my 7i to 5 feet and two putt for a bogey.

9 - par 4, forced water carry off tee and water down the entire left side. 4w off the tee is a pull into the water. Drop on other side and punch my 7i into a fairway bunker. 6i out of the bunker is a dead push that hits a cart path and rolls under a bush near the clubhouse. Take an unplayable and hit a partial GW to 8 feet and two putt for a quad 8.

I turned a decent start into pure trash.

10 - par 5, that shouldn't be from the whites. Nice draw with my driver and a mishit full SW has me just on the right side of the green and the flag is all the way on the left. 90 feet to go and I 4 putt for a bogey 6....

11 - par 4, Nice draw with my driver, 240ish, into the left rough. Hit my 9i to 5 feet and the birdie putt is a couple inches short. So 2 putt par.

12 - par 4, decent draw into the left rough. ball below my feet and mishit a 4i short of the green. don't hit a 4i chip hard enough and amin the fringe. Use the putter to chip to a foot and sink the bogey putt, 5.

13 - par 3, hit my 8i onto the green. 42 feet from the cup and I three putt for a bogey 4.

14 - par 5, nice drive 220ish into the fairway. A good 7w sets me up for my shot into the green. My PW is a bit short and right. Chip with putter and I'm tired of being short, so I send it 23 feet past the cup. three putt double bogey 7.

15 - par 4, nuked my driver 274 into the fairway. Full PW is short and in a bunker. Green is above my head and I can't see it. Hit an explosion shot to 3 feet and 1 putt for par.

16 - par 4, hit my 4i 195 yards, catching a downslope. Pitch with my SW rolls through the green. Use the putter to chip to 5 feet and 2 putt for a bogey 5.

17 - par 3, hit my PW on and 20 feet from the cup. I two putt for par.

18 - par 4, lake carry to reach the green. Pull my 5i into the crap on the left. Drop and pitch to set up my approach. slight pull draw with my 7w goes in the lake. Drop on other side and pitch to 20 feet with my niblick and two putt for a nice 8.

What a mess of a round. Putting was a killer. I was leaving everything short. That first putt across the green on #10 was a good 20 feet short, lol. Of course all aspects struggled at different times. I was frustrated how my good start was for naught after I screwed up the rest of the front 9 minus #8. I am happy that I pulled things out on the back 9 even with that 8 on 18. I played decent after the rough start, so the entire round wasn't a disaster. I will eventually get to the point where I can string together an entire round of decent holes. It'll happen and the question will be with how much time and effort.

So Saturday's round was kinda meh. I do want to level set that my goal of breaking 85 is a personal best for me. When I played a lot, before quitting for 7 years, and was a 19 index back in 2012, I shot 85 twice. So this is not something that will come quickly but is realistic. If I said my goal was to break 80 then I'd tell myself to go pound sand until I could at least shoot in the 80s. I know my scores would lead someone to say 'WTH is he thinking about 85 when he's shooting in the very high 90s?', so that's why I thought I'd throw in the above disclaimer since it probably looks like I am unrealistic.

Got a twilight 9 in yesterday evening. My wife drove the cart and it took about 75 minutes to play the front. Good weather, no wind and I played my normal forward tees.

1 - par 4, I hit a nice draw with driver, 232, into the fairway on the right. I'm about 140 out and hit 6i. It's a pull that misses long and left. I pitch with my niblick, it goes 31 yards, and I'm 5 feet from the hole. I manage a two putt bogey.

2 - par 3, I hit a great high draw with my 7i, 134 yards, onto the green. The flag is front right and I'm back mid, 42 feet out. I get my first putt inside a couple of feet and secure my par.

3 - par 5, dogleg right. I hit a low draw with my driver, 207 yards into the fairway on the right. I then top my 4w, 114 yards but at least it went forward and is in the fairway. I'm about 115 out and hit my 8i. I blade it too and end up in a greenside bunker. The sand here isn't good for explosion shots. So I keep the clubhead square and use my SW. I get out and am about 15 feet from the hole. I two putt for a bogey 6.

4 - shorter par 4. I top my driver 82 yards... I top my 4w 151 yards.... Sigh. I hit a partial SW 51 yards onto the green. I'm 9 feet from the cup and hit my putt too firmly and go 4-5 feet past the cup... The next one just misses, so a three putt double bogey 6.

5 - par 5, dogleg right. I hit a low, thin, draw with my 5i 144 yards into the fairway on the right. I take my 7w and top it. The ball rolls along the ground into the stream area where it goes under the fairway. I see the ball roll out the other side and it's right of the cart path in the rough. I got lucky. I hit a little 5i layup, 116, yards to get into the fairway with a shot at the green. My partial GW goes about 68 yards, and I'm 30 feet left of the cup. I manage a three putt for a double bogey 7 since i hit my first putt too hard.

6 - par 4, slight dogleg left, house down the right side. I hit a push fade with driver that lands on the cart path that runs down the right side and my ball bounces right, over bushes... There is red paint on the edge of the cart path and the area behind the bushes is still on the course. So I play it as a lateral hazard and drop. The ball is above my feet and I have to keep it under tree branches. I punch my 4i with a partial swing and it comes out nicely but I miss long and right. This is not a good place to be. I'm in the rough with a green slightly above me that slopes away from me.... I chip with my niblick and it lands just short of the green and rolls on, it proceeds to slowly roll down to near the front of the green. I'm 14 feet right and past the flag. The chip itself was pretty good but I could have aimed better to have gotten closer to the pin. I hit my putt and it stops about 2 inches short of the cup. So I have a double bogey 6, with the penalty.

7 - par 4, dogleg right, elevated tee shot. I hit a push fade with driver into the slope on the right but we find my ball in the fairway, 182 yards off the tee. the ball is above my feet and I'm 150ish out. I aim a bit right toi account for the ball going left and hit my 5i. It's a nice low draw that goes 116 yards, through the green. The ball is sitting down and it's a weird down slope fronting a back bunker. So I have a real wide and angled stance and chip with my 7i. I make okay contact but the ball rolls 20 feet past the hole. I get my first putt inside a few feet and manage a two putt 5.

8 - par 3, elevated tee shot. The flag is mid and I decide to hit 8i instead of my 7i. My 7i has been going to the back of the green lately here. I hit a high pull with th e8i, 147 yards, and miss the green left. I chip with my niblick, 15 yards, and end up about 11 feet past the hole. I sink the par putt!

9 - par 4, with water down the left as you approach the green and it fronts the green too. I tee off with my 5i, and it's a low draw down the right side, 185 yards, near the trees across the cart path on the right. i have no good shot at the green and pitch with my GW to setup an approach. The ball lands near the pinestraw under a tree on the right side of the correct fairway and takes a weird hop dead left towards the pond. The ball stops a few yards short of the water. i have no idea what my ball hit to make it kick almost 90 degrees left like that. Maybe a rock or root... I hit a partial PW 82 yards onto the green. i'm 29 feet from the hole and three putt for a double bogey 6.

So two pars, three bogies, and 4 doubles. I had no 'blow ups'. 5/7 fairways were hit but only 1 GIR. I am happy with the 47 since I struggled with ball striking on a number of holes. I need to keep working on my full swing to try to get rid of the tops and thins.

My putting needs work as well. Saturday the greens were slower at the other course and I left everything short. Sunday the greens were nice and fast and I went long on a number of my first putts. My chipping was better as was the sand game though.

If nothing else, I'm getting more experience with each round. My yardages are going up as well. The driver is overall a plus now. I still have my issues with it but I am comfortable using it all round except the holes where I think a different club, namely 4/5i, makes more sense.

Thanks for reading and have a good one.

Keep up the good work! Getting under 90 doesn't require amazing ball striking or precision putting. Keep eliminating the blowups. Triples and quads on the card will destroy a round. Bogey is a good score for you right now, and if you can keep working to slowly eliminate those doubles or at least match them with pars, you will be well on your way. These means keeping the tee shot in play, and reducing 3 putts on the green. Keep it simple, chose your spots to be aggressive, embrace the bogey, and consider a double a challenge to right the ship and collect a par somewhere else on the course. Doesnt have to be the next hole! Don't force trouble.

• Like 1

Great advice!

I am trying to be pragmatic out there. As much as I want to avoid a double bogey, I will take it over a triple any time. I am seeing flashes of competence in all aspects of my game, so it will all come together eventually. I have my course management strategy in place and I think it is sound and I adjust it as things change with my game.

Got out and walked a quick 9. Started out partly sunny, probably in the high 70s/low 80s and humid. It ends with getting caught in a thunderstorm.

1 - longer par 4, straight hole and #1 HCP. I hit a great mid height draw with my driver 223 into the fairway on the left. As I'm heading to my ball I see a guy with a pushcart leave the range, which is down by the first green today, and walk towards #2. This becomes relevant later. The left side has the better approach angles since the only bunker is front right. I'm 160 or so from center and the flag is mid right behind the bunker. Long is very bad on this hole so I take my 4i and aim just left of the bunker AKA middle of the green. I hit a nice mid height draw that lands on the green near the middle and it releases left and back. So I start with a GIR! I have made it in two three times now in the last two weeks. I'm 54 feet from the hole and I have to go over a spine in the green. I hit my putt and come up real short. I don't pace off any putts after the first but I'm at least 10 feet short... I look it over and hit my next one and it tracks at the cup and drops for a par!

I consider #1 to be a par 5 where bogey is good and while a 6 here isn't great, I can accept it because it is long and I have not been reaching it until recently.

2 - par 3 and the flag is front left behind a bunker. I take my 7i and aim for the middle of the green. I hit a high push draw that lands in the fringe on the right and kicks right down the slope away from the green. The ball is 124 yards off the tee in short rough. The green slopes away from me and is elevated. I look it over and chip with my niblick. the ball comes out and I see the backspin on it. It lands on the green and rolls about 8 feet below the hole. I hit it a bit too hard. I hit my putt and have a good line but end up a couple feet short. I make the bogey putt though.

So I'm feeling good as I walk to #3. I started with two 4s which is pretty good for me.

3 - par 5, dogleg right. I hit a nice mid height draw with my driver, 221 yards, through the corner of the fairway into the first cut of rough on the left side. Great looking shot but my aim was a bit off. My ball has a good lie and I take my 4w and fidget with my stance and eventually shift so the ball is a bit forward. I top it 110 yards but it goes straight and is in the fairway. Oh well. I am close to 135 from center and the flag is a hair right of center near the bunkers that guard the front right. I take my 6i and aim for the flag. It's a high draw that lands on the green left of the flag. I get to the green and the ball only released about a yard after landing and is past the flag and a couple feet left of the line of the hole in relation to the front of the green. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm 13 feet out and sink the birdie putt!

I am even par through 3! I see the guy that walked on near the green as I tee off.

4 - shorter par 4. I hit a high push fade with my driver down the right side and it lands to the right of the fairway bunker in the rough. I find my ball in the bunker after it rolled in, 205 yards off the tee. The flag is near the front right behind a greenside bunker. My GPS says 67 to the front, so I figure I'll hit a partial PW out of the sand. I hit behind the ball and it goes 3-4 yards and stays in the bunker. I use the PW again and do more of a chip and get out of the bunker and in the grass short of the green. I chip with the niblick and the ball lands next to the flag and releases 24 feet past the hole. Tthe shot goes 33 yards, opps. I two putt for a double bogey.

Well that was a let down.

5 - par 5, dogleg right. I have to wait on the guy in front of me to clear the fairway before I can tee off. I hit a high push with my 5i into the slope on the right which kicks my ball left and into the fairway, 152 yards off the tee. I wait again and hit my 7w once I can. It's a low push off the toe that goes dead right into the trees next to the stream that runs right of the hole. I hear it hit branches and don't find it in the rough. I'm new to the South and don't want to go traipsing through underbrush next to a stream since I've been warned about snakes over in that area. this is new to me and I have no idea how much caution I really need but a 75 cent ball isn't worth it to me.

So I drop back where it crossed in and hit my 6i and it's another high draw that goes 143 into the fairway. The flag is on the lower tier near the middle front. I'm maybe 70 from center and hit a partial PW onto the green and 12 feet from the cup. I hit my putt and it drops in to 'save' a bogey 6.

6 - The guy in front of me is near the green. I think he just picked up on 5 and never putted out. I hit a push fade with my driver into the right trees, 156 yards. I get lucky and my ball is sitting next to the cart path. I hear thunder for the first time as I walk to the ball. I'm 130ish or so out and decide to hit my 6i. It's a lower push that misses the green right. The green is slightly elevated and sloping away from me with a sidehill angle. I use my 7i to chip and catch it thin and it rolls onto the green, breaks before the cup and rolls off the front right. I chip with my putter and leave it 5 feet short. I two putt for a double bogey 6.

I see darker clouds to my left and hear thunder again as I am walking to #7. I get to the tee box and the guy in front of me has his push cart sitting in the fairway on the right and he's up in the right trees digging around. He's up there a few minutes and finally walks back down to his pushcart and starts walking down the fairway and picks up a ball.

7 - par 4, elevated tee shot, slight dogleg right. I hit a skyball off the toe of my driver. One of those corkscrews that starts left and turns over to the right as it climbs... the ball hits the slope on the right and I start heading for it. it's getting a bit darker to my left and thunder again. My ball kicked into the fairway, 189 yards off the tee.

The dude in front of me is now in the front bunker and takes a practice swing and sand goes flying. he then takes a shot and i see a ball come out of the bunker. He proceeds to push his cart across the green to the back and grabs his putter. He putts out and disappears to the right of the hole. I can't see what he's doing because of the ridge in the way but he shows up at his bag a minute later and walks off.

I'm now in a hurry to beat this storm that rolling in....

So I am about 130 from center and the ball is above my feet and will go left. The flag is on the right and it's a blind shot for me. i aim right and hit a low pull that lands on the left side of the green and rolls off, 152 yards. My ball is sitting on the back os a hump near the green and I chip with my niblick. It's a long ways to go and my lead foot is well above my rear one. the ball comes out high, which is too be expected, and lands on the green 21 feet short of the flag... I'm rushing and go on to three putt for another double bogey.

8- par 3, elevated tee shot. Flag is mid and I decide on my 8i while waiting for the guy to clear the area. I hit a nice low pull into the slope on the right and it hits a rock because it rockets back out and 45* and lands on the green and just rolls through the left side into the fringe. I got lucky again. I take a bit more time and chip with the putter to 6 feet and make the par putt.

I jog a little ways to the next tee since it's a longer walk. As i'm heading past the first green to get to #9 I see the dude in front of me back on the range. So he never plays 9. The sun is completely gone and thunder.

9 - par 4, with water of the left and fronting the green. I tee off with my 5i and hit this great high draw, 167 yards, into the fairway. I get halfway to my ball and a massive wall of wind comes through from behind me. There is a constant strong tailwind now from the storm. I get to my ball and it's starting to sprinkle. I'm 140ish out and hit my 6i. I see a cart driving down 18 trying to beat the storm. It's a high push that I don't follow because I'm already moving forward. I hear it hit a tree on the right but find it in the grass to the right of the hole. It's now raining and I chip with my niblick to about 21 feet and hurriedly 3 putt for a 6.

I get most of the way to the parking lot before the skies open up. Oh, the chuckle head that got me caught in this was on the 9th tee as I was leaving the green. I load up the golf cart in the rain and drive home in a nice thunderstorm.

So normally I don't care too much about pace of play and waiting. I play as a single a lot and don't expect to be let through groups because there's no place to go at times and other times the people in front are oblivious. The exception is when there's a thunderstorm about to hit. This happened to me once before in Maine when the couple ahead of me didn't wait for me to join them or play through them on #17 as a storm was rolling in. The layout of the current course is a figure 8. The only fairways that are adjacent are 1 and 9. So it's not easy to skip ahead. I think the fact he was just out practicing while I'm waiting on him frustrated me the most with how the weather was unfolding

In the end, I shot a 45 and my putting was much improved. Rushing at the end cost me but that's the breaks. I avoided a blowup hole and a 45 with 4 double bogeys isn't horrible for me since my best ever 9 is a 41 from earlier this year. Also my ball striking was not perfect though I did have some great shots out there. The driver is making a difference, especially on #1. I am confident in using it even though I still have occasional issues with that push fade. Overall i am happy with the last two 9s I have played. I'm mostly keeping things together, even when I have to recover from mishits.

Apologies for my rant and I hope all is well you you and yours.

• Like 1

Congrats on the 45! The first 3 holes really helped your scoring. And goes to show that you need to be resilient and composed after a mishit. With the first putt on 1, and the mishit 4w on the par 5, you'd probably like to have those shots back, but just focus on what is at hand and hit the best next shot possible. You were able to do that and not only let it spiral into a big score, but actually recover and score very well.

I've noticed your last 3 rounds you have scored a 6 on number 4. What handicap hole is this? Looks like a sub 300 yard par 4, and from your aerial shots it looks like there is a decent amount of space on the right side of the fairway to steer clear of the fairway bunker. Being on the right side seems to help with the approach shot as well. I bring this up because I am wondering if driver is the best play on this hole. Last 3 rounds - topped drive, OB left, fairway bunker. All leading to doubles. Could be an opportunity to hit a 170 yard club off the tee and possibly position the ball. And then have 130 from favorable angle into the green, hopefully from the fairway. Assuming you have a club you hit this distance that you have confidence in off the tee box.

@scooterhd2 You have pointed out something that I have missed trying to fix. #4, on the card, is 283 yards from the forward tees. Whites are 293 so it's the same regardless of what I play. it's the #15 HCP hole but I always seems to do poorly on it for some reason. The left trees/bushes are a hazard thanks to the stream you can see in the picture. The trees on the right of the cart path are pretty much OoB immediately. The building near the tee box is a water treatment plant and there's a chain link fence running just inside the tree line until you get to that area near the fairway bunker. On the image below you can see a dark line of grass that starts where the 5i shot is and goes towards the left green side bunkers. That is a down slope, the right side, bottom of picture, is the high side of this hole and the bottom of one of the hills the course is built around. That area of light brown between my PW bunker shots and the 55/56 that leads to the cart path is where the slope tapers a bit to the right and lower. The brown area is where the carts all drive since there are signs making the green complex cart free.

If you actually land on top, right of the bunker, it's level and you are above the green with a great view of everything. Landing in the fairway below the bunker gives you a ball above the feet lie the closer you get to the bunker. It's pretty flat all along the left side near the rough.

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/ZHUJPECUC6OM/ch4lol.jpg[/img]The tee issues I have run into are push fades/push slices that go into the trees or a pull that I send into the stream. The 5i is working good for me off the tee on #5 and #9. I'll start using my 4i on this hole and see what happens. I don't use the 4i on #5 or #9 because I have hit it far enough to find trouble. On #5 it's narrow and over draws have found the stream or just been short of it. On #9 the 4i brings more of the pond on the left into play as the fairway narrows, so I have put an over draw into the water. I think the 4i will be okay on this hole though since it's not narrow in the landing zone.

One month update time. The last was on 5/11. Last 10 rounds.

Arccos handicaps for my last 10 rounds:

Overall, this is what Arccos thinks I play like based on all of the individual areas and it uses strokes gained: 25.8 (-.3) 

Driving: 24.8 (-3.6), The driver is helping.

Approach: 27.6 (-1.6)

Chipping:  16.6 (-7.5)

Sand: 19.1 (+4.1) this was trending worse but is starting to get better even though the overall trend is bad.

Putting 26.1 (+2.5) This has not been good. My last 9 had decent putting, so hopefully I will get it back on track.

My overall dashboard EDIT - this is actually based on my 10 best rounds has:

Average Score:

par 3: 4.2 (-.1)

par 4: 5.9 no change

par 5: 6.9 (-.1)

Scoring breakdown:

eagles:0.1 (-0.1) This will go down since I have 1 in my life.

birdies: 1.5% (+.2)

pars: 15.3% (+1.6)

bogeys: 31.3% (+.1)

double+: 51.7% (-1.9)

Driving Range, this is what Arccos says I can expect on a normal, non mishit shot:188(+12) - 229(+27) average is 206(+20) Driver is making a big difference.

Driving accuracy:

Center 59.4% (+1.3)

Left: 16.7% (+1.2)

Right: 23.8% (-2.6)

Approach, this is all shots outside of 50 yards except for tee shots. So needs to be taken with a grain of salt since a shot from 250 on a par 5 is counted in this:

GIR: 18.5% (+1.6) Irons and partial wedges are getting better.

Left: 7.6% (+1.0)

Right: 12.3% (-.6)

Short: 56% (-2.4)

Long: 5.6 (+.3)

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24