My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

1 hour ago, bortass said:

All I meant is I didn't hit it as well as I did the prior time. A few weeks ago, when I started the Cast A stuff, I think I made it to the range 4 days in a row. What I found is it didn't take as long to hit some great looking shots and each day I hit a few more. So I kinda thought the pattern would continue is all. I'm not expecting miracles and I'm not going to try to change/tinker with anything.

The real test is on the course and I do see it popping up a little bit more each time.

I'm going to trust the process I am working with and see where it leads.

That's exactly what I mean. The results will not be linear and whether it pops up on the course this early or not is also pretty unimportant. The only thing that matters is that you're performing the new pattern correctly. 🙂

3 hours ago, bortass said:

I'll start with something positive albeit non-golf related, I passed the 40lbs lost mark today. Things have been nice and steady in this area, so at least I'm getting smaller and healthier.

Congrats! That's absolutely huge. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, bortass said:

All I meant is I didn't hit it as well as I did the prior time. A few weeks ago, when I started the Cast A stuff, I think I made it to the range 4 days in a row. What I found is it didn't take as long to hit some great looking shots and each day I hit a few more. So I kinda thought the pattern would continue is all. I'm not expecting miracles and I'm not going to try to change/tinker with anything.

The real test is on the course and I do see it popping up a little bit more each time.

I'm going to trust the process I am working with and see where it leads.

I think this is the hardest part about making a swing change... trusting it's the right thing, and grinding through the hard parts... hopefully it is the right thing, and you can spend some time this winter getting it dialed in!

Congrats on the weight loss! I need to refocus my efforts on that particular issue... exercise has been good, eating has been filled with halloween candy.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@betarhoalphadelta @Myherobobhope @TheDeanAbides Thanks!  40 lbs seems like a lot but I've been at it for 16 weeks. Just following the process and watching the progress happen as it will. Kind of what I should be doing with my swing, lol. It's all been changing what I eat but I'm still living. Last week was a birthday and also Halloween. I had cake and candy, so if things are a bit slower with the weight loss, it's fine. I know if I was super strict and worked out that I'd lose much faster but this seems sustainable to me and that's the key for any long term change.

The reason I mention it popping up on the course is because of something Monte said in the IG Live he did for Broomforce. He had said something along the lines that the changes will work into your on course swing over time. He seems to be commenting a bit more about what realistic expectations are with regard to practice and improvement.

So I'm taking it as a good sign that what I'm doing is showing up at times when I go out and play. One reason is I am not thinking about trying to do Cast A on the course. It's just happening which is a bit different than what I normally end up doing. It's also probably a good thing because during the drills when I am trying to make sure I do Cast A things can get wonky, lol.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bortass said:

The reason I mention it popping up on the course is because of something Monte said in the IG Live he did for Broomforce. He had said something along the lines that the changes will work into your on course swing over time. He seems to be commenting a bit more about what realistic expectations are with regard to practice and improvement.

So I'm taking it as a good sign that what I'm doing is showing up at times when I go out and play. One reason is I am not thinking about trying to do Cast A on the course. It's just happening which is a bit different than what I normally end up doing. It's also probably a good thing because during the drills when I am trying to make sure I do Cast A things can get wonky, lol.

Yeah, I don't *try* to take my swing change to the course. I don't think about it. I show up and hit the ball. It's definitely creeping in over time though, and that's a good thing. 

• Like 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

51 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, I don't *try* to take my swing change to the course. I don't think about it. I show up and hit the ball. It's definitely creeping in over time though, and that's a good thing. 

Yeah, but learning to trust this is the hard part for most ams if what Monte says is true. I believe it since it's that way with me as well, so it must be true right?

• Like 1

Went out for a quick 9 from the Teal tees. Started on the back and took an X on 18 after hitting a tee shot OOB and then topping 3 shots in a row. I decided to keep playing on #1 because there was no one on the hole and eventually quit on #6 after hitting a 2 tee shots OOB on #4 AND #6.

Things weren't too bad at first.

Double bogey on 10 after I hit my second shot into the right trees because of my alignment.

#11 I tee off with 6i because of playing forward and hit a great shot, 168 yards, into the middle of the fairway. My AW comes up 4 inches short of the green. I chip with putter to 2 feet and miss the par putt... LOL, so bogey.

#12 Drive is a low pull draw that klands on the cart path and goes through the fairway, 240 yards. I'm in great position and i hit my SW 52 yards to 5 feet and sink the birdie putt.

#13 Hit a high pull with my 9i, 120ish, onto the green but 27 feet from the cup. First putt is too low and i'm 5 feet out but sink it for a par.

#14 This hole is about 100 yards shorter than the whites. 5 guys let me play through and I top my drive 71 yards into the left rough. Decent lie and i hit a solid 4w 203 yards and stay in the left rough. I lay up with a punched 5i just short of the green. 48 yard pitch to 9 feet and I sink the par putt.

#15 Aim at the green and hit a slice to my normal spot. Chunk the AW... Chip to 15 feet. Send my putt 3 feet long and miss the next one and come away with double bogey.

#16 I hit an 8i into the wind and definitely feel cast A. It's a high draw over the flag to the back of the green, 138 yards. So my 130 yard club went long into a headwind... My ball is less than a foot from it's pitch mark. I'm 42 feet from the hole and putting down a tier and it leads to a 3 putt bogey.

#17 send my ball into the right trees and things start to fall apart. Come away with a double bogey after sinking a 14 foot putt.

#18 is a disaster and I take an X with 3 penalty strokes.

#1, I mess up some shorter shots and come away with double bogey.

#2 catch my 9i thin, 128 yards, and miss the green to the right. Chip 27 feet past the hole and 2 putt for a bogey.

#3 mishit my driver 95 yards into the right rough on a slope. Hit a good recovery shot with my 7i into the fairway. Top my 4w twice in a row. Top my 7i. Chunk a SW. Eventually I 2 putt from 8 feet for a quad and not a single penalty stroke.

#4 push slice 2 balls OOB. Drop a ball in the middle 100 yards out and decide to see what happens with a full AW. Good contact and it's a high shot 96 yards with a tailwind onto the green. Sink a 15 foot putt for a pretend quad.

#5 blade my 5i off the tee. Hit an okay recovery shot past the corner. layup with a partial punched 6i. Try a full SW shot and catch it thin and over the back bunker, lol. Takes 2 chips to eventually be off the front of the green. Chip with putter to 6 feet. barely miss and watch my ball roll 20 feet down the tier... next putt dies almost at the crest of the tier and rolls back to me... Third putt stops less than an inch short of the cup, lol. So much for putting today.

#6 2 push fade/slices OOB and I just come home.

I marked the marked the round to be excluded from my stats since I didn't finish.

I felt real good about my irons early on. The 8i shot on #16 was awesome. My short putting was horrid but until I hit #5 I started to do real well with putts from outside 8 feet.

Driver was good for 1 shot all day. I don't know what's going on with it but I cannot seem to prevent the push fade/slices. If this keeps up I'll start using my 4w or maybe a 7i if that doesn't work. I just can't get comfortable with the driver and I have no clue what the issue is outside my path is almost always to the right with an open face. Even trying to do cast B from NTC with my driver left it open. I know what's going on from a physics standpoint but don't know why. Kinda bummed because I was on a decent streak a few months ago with my driver.

A side note, my index is creeping up as good rounds roll off. I'm fairly confident those good rounds were when my driver was working.... So I may be screwed until it sorts itself out. I'm not gonna stress about it though. I'll go down the short leash path for now.

Edited by bortass
typos per usual

2 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

How do you line up? It seems that alignment is a problem and it's almost an unforgivable sin because it's so easy to do correctly. 

I agree.  What I have found is the ball goes in the direction that I'm facing at the end of my follow through. Say target is the middle of the fairway. I finish my swing and I'm facing the left rough. ball will start left and likely draw. The 8i into the right trees yesterday had me facing said trees at the end of my swing. 

Something I need to also watch with the shots to the right is I have a lazy follow through and don't always finish.  I've been working on that ever since it came up in a lesson. Add in my hips are a bit open when I stand relaxed as well. yesterday after the mess with the 8i I started to place the club across my hips to see where they were pointing....

Now to the question.  I hold the club in my right hand. Look at the target in the distance and shuffle my feet while looking at the target to get aligned. Set the club down and grip it. Pretty sure this is it. It's something I just do and don't really think about much, so it makes it a bit difficult to answer because I had to think about it.

I'm very open to some sort of pre-shot routine and set-up process. I have one but it's very static. Address the ball as above, once I feel like everything is in the right place I sit there and end up counting in my head and finally swing sometime between 6 and 8..... 

How do you know that you're lined up to your target? How do you determine that you're correctly aimed?

I don't like that counting idea. Every second that you stand there static you're increasing tension and the chance of a bad shot increases. Try to keep moving before hitting by waggling the club and kinda bouncing and moving your feet up and down. Never be still until the last second that you're ready to hit. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

How do you know that you're lined up to your target? How do you determine that you're correctly aimed?

I don't like that counting idea. Every second that you stand there static you're increasing tension and the chance of a bad shot increases. Try to keep moving before hitting by waggling the club and kinda bouncing and moving your feet up and down. Never be still until the last second that you're ready to hit. 

I don't like it either. I have always 'froze' over the ball as long as I can remember. one day I started counting because of how stupid it felt to sit there 'frozen' and it's stuck....

To the questions:

"How do you know that you're lined up to your target?" Know as in fact? I don't. It feels like I am and I'm trying to let my brain set me up. It's what the shuffling is. I'm raising and lowering my feet and shift a bit, as needed.

"How do you determine that you're correctly aimed?" Same as above, I don't. I assume and trust I am, which makes any sort of doubt a killer. I am familiar with the find something on your target line to aim the club face at and rarely can find something that works. Monte suggests finding 2 things and aiming between them like goal posts in one of his videos. 

Whatever I do to change the routine will be a long road since it's so ingrained, just like a swing change.

Thanks for the clear response. 

Okay, I suggest making this a high priority. Your brain will not line you up correctly, but what it will tend to do is create compensations in your swing to get the ball somewhere towards the target, and that's not going to do you any favours. It might not be as important when you're a major hacker, but as you improve your mechanics you'll see how frustrating it is to hit good shots offline. 

The only really effective way to line up correctly is to pick intermediary targets and this does get easier the more you do it. Just line up behind and pick anything within a foot or so of the ball and the laser in on that as you set the club behind the ball. You can then go through the set-up process I outlined in that post I linked to (I will video this). 

Trust me when I say that this is going to be easier to trust than a half-arsed and vague method shuffling around, which you've already noticed in your game. 

Just work it into your practice time on the range when there's no pressure. It's the exact same principle as lining up a putt. The goal posts idea is great, but only if they're close enough together. Eventually this will become second nature and you'll know that it's a variable removed from any bad shots.  

Edited by TheDeanAbides
typos
  • Like 1

Saturday was an unmitigated disaster. I think I picked up on  6 holes. The pre-round warmup went well, so there was no pre-round inkling of what awaited me. It may be the worst round I’ve had since before 2010….

My drive on 1 was a great looking mid height draw, 230 down the middle. I had a 5i in, over the bunker. I catch it a bit thin and the ball lands in the bunker. The impact in the sand was a foot short of the far lip… It took 3 to get out and that third shot was bladed into the hazard behind the green. So I picked up.

Three putt bogey on 2 after hitting a nice 8i on.

3, nice draw into the fairway 223 yards. Shank my 4w into the right trees. More mishaps await and I pick up after not getting on the green in 7….

I had 2 penalties off the tee, both with my 7w, that’s it. Only one push fade with my driver. I had a number of pulls and some duffs but I was 8/14 for fairways hit. So my driver was actually decent.

The issues were shanks and tops with the 4w. Shanks with some irons and partial wedges.  Bunkers killed me as well. I think I only got out in one once and even had a whiff in a bunker, lol.

Oh the awesome iron shot of the round  was my tee shot on 16. Used my 7i and I topped it in such a way the ball popped up in the air maybe 8-10 feet high and it went maybe 15 yards, lol.

The shanks seem to be just leaving the face wide open. I actually saw the wide open face before contact on a couple swings, which is kinda odd. I can’t say I really see what things look like before impact but I did in those cases.

It’s not the end of the world. Some shots were real solid. My range session went very well earlier in the week, so I plan to keep working on what I have been. I’m gonna write this round off and not worry about it.

30 minutes ago, bortass said:

Saturday was an unmitigated disaster. I think I picked up on  6 holes. The pre-round warmup went well, so there was no pre-round inkling of what awaited me. It may be the worst round I’ve had since before 2010….

My drive on 1 was a great looking mid height draw, 230 down the middle. I had a 5i in, over the bunker. I catch it a bit thin and the ball lands in the bunker. The impact in the sand was a foot short of the far lip… It took 3 to get out and that third shot was bladed into the hazard behind the green. So I picked up.

Three putt bogey on 2 after hitting a nice 8i on.

3, nice draw into the fairway 223 yards. Shank my 4w into the right trees. More mishaps await and I pick up after not getting on the green in 7….

I had 2 penalties off the tee, both with my 7w, that’s it. Only one push fade with my driver. I had a number of pulls and some duffs but I was 8/14 for fairways hit. So my driver was actually decent.

The issues were shanks and tops with the 4w. Shanks with some irons and partial wedges.  Bunkers killed me as well. I think I only got out in one once and even had a whiff in a bunker, lol.

Oh the awesome iron shot of the round  was my tee shot on 16. Used my 7i and I topped it in such a way the ball popped up in the air maybe 8-10 feet high and it went maybe 15 yards, lol.

The shanks seem to be just leaving the face wide open. I actually saw the wide open face before contact on a couple swings, which is kinda odd. I can’t say I really see what things look like before impact but I did in those cases.

It’s not the end of the world. Some shots were real solid. My range session went very well earlier in the week, so I plan to keep working on what I have been. I’m gonna write this round off and not worry about it.

I think @Hawkeye has posted several times about breakthroughs coming off the back of terrible play. That's very common as new neural patterns are laid down. You're doing the work. It'll be worth it. 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I think @Hawkeye has posted several times about breakthroughs coming off the back of terrible play. That's very common as new neural patterns are laid down. You're doing the work. It'll be worth it. 🙂

I was thinking the same. I had a couple rounds as I was working on new things where it seemed like I'd simply forgotten how to hit a golf ball. Having trouble finding the face on nearly every shot... And then a round or two later it was like things synced up. 

The only way I could explain it is that since I don't try to consciously integrate my "range" swing onto the course, I just let it happen naturally, I would have rounds where is was simply stuck in between the two and couldn't execute either, and then with a few more rounds, the range swing that I was working on took over. 

As they say, if golf was easy, it wouldn't be a four-letter word 😂

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, TheDeanAbides said:

On 11/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

I was thinking the same. I had a couple rounds as I was working on new things where it seemed like I'd simply forgotten how to hit a golf ball. Having trouble finding the face on nearly every shot... And then a round or two later it was like things synced up. 

The only way I could explain it is that since I don't try to consciously integrate my "range" swing onto the course, I just let it happen naturally, I would have rounds where is was simply stuck in between the two and couldn't execute either, and then with a few more rounds, the range swing that I was working on took over. 

As they say, if golf was easy, it wouldn't be a four-letter word 😂

This is what I'm hoping is going on. It's why I'm not 'going off the deep end' with the terrible golf. There will always be ebbs and flows within our games but hopefully not wild swings.

I was off yesterday and played 18. It was at the sister course w/o all the water. On the surface the round was a disaster, I picked up on 5 holes... The positive was I managed 4 pars. I had some decent shots but couldn't get off the tee.

Practice goals last week: I went to the range once. All sets are 5 balls doing a drill and 10 just swinging.

1 - Slow swings with Cast A. I did 4 sets of 15.

2 - Work on set-up and takeaway. This gets me hitting 3/4 swings and will eventually be useful on the course. 4 sets of 15 with this one as well.

3- Short putts, I am not happy with my putting lately. Did not work on this.

Practice goals this week:

1 - Slow swings with Cast A. 

2 - Work on set-up and takeaway from the first segment of NTC.

34 minutes ago, bortass said:

This is what I'm hoping is going on. It's why I'm not 'going off the deep end' with the terrible golf. There will always be ebbs and flows within our games but hopefully not wild swings.

I was off yesterday and played 18. It was at the sister course w/o all the water. On the surface the round was a disaster, I picked up on 5 holes... The positive was I managed 4 pars. I had some decent shots but couldn't get off the tee.

Practice goals last week: I went to the range once. All sets are 5 balls doing a drill and 10 just swinging.

1 - Slow swings with Cast A. I did 4 sets of 15.

2 - Work on set-up and takeaway. This gets me hitting 3/4 swings and will eventually be useful on the course. 4 sets of 15 with this one as well.

3- Short putts, I am not happy with my putting lately. Did not work on this.

Practice goals this week:

1 - Slow swings with Cast A. 

2 - Work on set-up and takeaway from the first segment of NTC.

It might be a good idea to post a swing. 🙂

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It might be a good idea to post a swing. 🙂

Tried to use the phone for it today. Looks like I didn't take the slo motion video i thought I did but here are 2 different swings....

I did my normal warm up and then 1 set of the first NTC drill for the takeaway. I then hit one or two full swings with the 7i and setup the phone. So I didn't make a bunch of swings before taking these and I didn't cherry pick them either. I see I'm still laid off and OTT, lol. 

Edited by bortass

Yeah, I can see what's happening. This is almost impossible to recover from, and I'm amazed you hit the ball at all from here. 

E0BD1981-D514-4859-81A2-CC2A46A0640A.jpeg.9586fb31da0026d8977efc58d055861d.jpegIt stems from your first move which is still disconnected and outside the line followed by a rolling of the left forearm. You simple must get this sorted first. I think you're at the point where you might not be able to do this with just written instruction. Leave it with me and I'll see if I can find a way to communicate it better because you're fundamentally not even vaguely making the correct movement. Everything else stems from this so stop drilling it and compounding the error. 

@TheDeanAbides Thanks as always for taking the time to look at it and give honest feedback.

Those swings are what I would call on the course swings in that I was not thinking about trying to make sure I did anything during said swing. I wanted to just swing the club and whatever happens happens.

I probably should try to get some video of the two drills I'm doing and of a couple swings where the ball flight suggests I'm performing it better. None of those were what I would call good shots in the videos I captured yesterday. If nothing else it would show me what I'm doing when I get what I consider to be the correct ball flight with my 7i. I'll also try to get some slow motion if I can.

The left forearm has always been part of my swing and I can't seem to get rid of it. At least I have not found a way to drill it out of my system yet... It's doable IMO, just gotta figure out how. Also my swing is historically armsy, in case that bit of info helps in any way.

Question time:

What do you mean by disconnected? I assume that means I'm moving one part of my body w/o other parts following suit but want to confirm.

What does starting outside the line mean?

I have felt that I take it too inside when I roll the forearm. I have seen how the butt of the shaft will point right of my target line when I get the club to parallel to the ground for example versus having it more in line with the target line. 

I'm sure this may spawn other questions later. 

Edited by bortass

Okay, firstly, your swing will look the same whether you hit it well or bad. It's a grooved action that depends on timing - like virtually everyone else's. I wanted to see what you're playing with because that gives a better idea of why you're having so many pickups. 

Now, to your questions...

I've looked again now I'm awake. I literally answered this morning in bed in the dark! It's not disconnected - you're just pushing out a little too much and then rolling to get back inside. Outside the line means that if there was a pane of glass set up just outside the toe of your club at address you'd be hitting it in the first move.

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Okay, firstly, your swing will look the same whether you hit it well or bad. It's a grooved action that depends on timing - like virtually everyone else's. I wanted to see what you're playing with because that gives a better idea of why you're having so many pickups. 

Now, to your questions...

I've looked again now I'm awake. I literally answered this morning in bed in the dark! It's not disconnected - you're just pushing out a little too much and then rolling to get back inside. Outside the line means that if there was a pane of glass set up just outside the toe of your club at address you'd be hitting it in the first move.

So are things are as broken as they sounded from the first post?

31 minutes ago, bortass said:

So are things are as broken as they sounded from the first post?

Yes, but the fix when applied will do wonders for you. You need loads of mirror work getting to P3 without adding more cup in your wrists and without rolling your forearms. It's only way I know to figure it out. 

12 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Yes, but the fix when applied will do wonders for you. You need loads of mirror work getting to P3 without adding more cup in your wrists and without rolling your forearms. It's only way I know to figure it out. 

Edit - confirmed I was wrong on what cupped meant...

Edited by bortass
Asked stupid questions when I should have looked it up

Well someone didn't like one of my swing videos from yesterday, lol. I got my first thumbs down ever. Made me chuckle.

I took a number of videos today but I can't seem to organize them in a way that I can tell what they are, lol.

@TheDeanAbides here are a couple face on videos. One is me doing a NTC drill in slow motion. The other is a full swing at normal speed.

NTC drill:

Full swing:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bortass said:

Well someone didn't like one of my swing videos from yesterday, lol. I got my first thumbs down ever. Made me chuckle.

I took a number of videos today but I can't seem to organize them in a way that I can tell what they are, lol.

@TheDeanAbides here are a couple face on videos. One is me doing a NTC drill in slow motion. The other is a full swing at normal speed.

NTC drill:

Full swing:

Okay, with the drill you're getting into decent positions, but it's not translating to your swing where you're still flat and then OTT. 

Two things: focus on P3 swings only until you've nailed that part of the swing. At least 70% of your swings being P3 and cast B. 

The other thing is allow your stance to be a little wider. You're a thick set guy and need a wider stance for stability. Also open your toes to help you turn. Just a little with your right foot will help you turn back and at least 30* with your front foot. See if that helps. 

The most critical thing is the P3 swings at a slow pace though. It'll benefit your full swing and your short game. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Okay, with the drill you're getting into decent positions, but it's not translating to your swing where you're still flat and then OTT. 

Two things: focus on P3 swings only until you've nailed that part of the swing. At least 70% of your swings being P3 and cast B. 

The other thing is allow your stance to be a little wider. You're a thick set guy and need a wider stance for stability. Also open your toes to help you turn. Just a little with your right foot will help you turn back and at least 30* with your front foot. See if that helps. 

The most critical thing is the P3 swings at a slow pace though. It'll benefit your full swing and your short game. 

Thanks!

I used to flare my feet but stopped for some reason in the last year. I don't know why I stopped but the foot flare was part of my set-up routine since the mid 2000s. So that should be easy enough for me to do.

Anything else obvious regarding my setup? 

I wanted to show the NTC drill to make sure I was doing it right, along with showing what I'm actually working on. Though I'm not specifically trying to do cast B with that drill but I can add it in easy enough since the swing from the top is from a static position. I do find I use some BroomForce concepts in this drill, namely feeling my weight go down and left at the start.

I noticed I may be going past P3, how big of a deal is that? 

I'm glad I'm not far off base in what I have been working on though. It's a question of when it'll be automagic and just happen. I'll keep doing that drill and make it the majority of my range time.

Should I stop working on cast A as the filler for the rest of my actual structured work on the range? That seems to be helping me at times when I randomly manage to do it on the course.  It's easy enough for me to put it on hold but I don't know if just working on that first NTC drill and nothing else is the best bet or not.

My typical range session is, in order:

Warm up with pitches and eventually half swings.

4-6 sets of 15 of the two drills I've been doing. Normally 2 sets of NTC takeaway and the rest are cast A, so I'd flip them. Do 2-4 sets of the takeaway drill and 1 or 2 of cast A.

Random shots depending on how I feel w/o a drill or structure. I'll mix in pitches, half shots, 3/4 shots, punches, and full swings semi randomly. I may hit a couple pitches and decide the next one is a half wedge and then a full 7i and then a few punches. This time is really just about trying to hit good shots w/o thinking about a specific drill etc.

Head home.

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24