Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede

I'll likely join Omni Interlocken when my daughter goes away to college and I start playing a lot more since that's the only thing near me worth it. Due to no competition up here they're priced the same as Fox Hill despite being a public resort, but since the public prices are high and 27 holes, you generally have no issues getting out when you want. It also includes carts, unlimited range and reciprocal discounted golf/discounted hotels at all other Omni courses plus member guest price access to all Club Corp courses included in the membership.

18 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I'll likely join Omni Interlocken when my daughter goes away to college and I start playing a lot more since that's the only thing near me worth it. Due to no competition up here they're priced the same as Fox Hill despite being a public resort, but since the public prices are high and 27 holes, you generally have no issues getting out when you want. It also includes carts, unlimited range and reciprocal discounted golf/discounted hotels at all other Omni courses plus member guest price access to all Club Corp courses included in the membership.

A buddy of mine works in one of the buildings close to Omni so he ended up getting the membership.  He really likes it.  He often will go play 9 towards the end of the day before heading home and can usually get through pretty quick.  

Happy Holiday's Everyone.  

Hope everyone gets the new golf gear they are wishing on this holiday season.

*Yes premature posting but incase I forget, some of you have played with me so you know what that means with my ADD LOL

** I closed our office between Christmas and New Years.  So almost 2 weeks off from the office.

Yes I gave the staff the time off too........I am a d*ck but not that big of one  😃  So I am going to sneak down to Phoenix for 3 days to play!!!!  Southern Dunes / Raven / Estrella currently

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hoselpalooza said:

re-gripped all of my clubs, which was priority #1 this year for gear. casually keeping an eye out for 2i, 2h, and 5w now. though i should probably focus more on strength and nutrition stuff so i can keep wearing the same pants after the holidays 😅

Man a full bag regrip, depending on which grip you use can cost you a new club easy now.  Even if you do it yourself.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CDM said:

Man a full bag regrip, depending on which grip you use can cost you a new club easy now.  Even if you do it yourself.

💯 completely agree. i'm rocking the JMX ultralites now and it took a lot of tinkering with other grips before finding a winner. looking back, i easily spent more on grips this year than i did on my last (used) driver. but to be fair, i've also spent more this year doing my part to support local breweries and restaurants. so perhaps i could justify that next club if i start eating healthier... 🤔😂

• Haha 1

Sounds like Raindance in Windsor may finally get built next year. https://www.coloradogolf.org/major-expectations-article/

Ridiculous that they're making another "championship" course tipping out at 8300+. Probably another tough walk cart ball course but at least he's talking about wanting firm and fast conditions. We'll see...

• Like 1

Yeah, based on that aerial photo, looks like lots of elevation change. Also sucks there real options on the south side of town to put in a new course that isn't already tagged for housing developments.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

23 hours ago, Dancin said:

Sounds like Raindance in Windsor may finally get built next year. https://www.coloradogolf.org/major-expectations-article/

Ridiculous that they're making another "championship" course tipping out at 8300+. Probably another tough walk cart ball course but at least he's talking about wanting firm and fast conditions. We'll see...

Working up north a lot I have meet Martin a number of times through development projects and he does love golf 😃    

I saw them break ground on the development early this year and then saw them moving dirt on the ridge in August and was wondering if it was for the course or some infrastructure for the development.  Good to see its the course. 

It is interesting to build another one from scratch in that location honestly BUT I am all for it.  There will now be 4 courses within 5 miles roughly of each other.  *Highland Meadows / Ptarmigan / Pelican Lakes  and now Raindance.  Pretty nice if you live in that area and love golf.

One bonus is COVID sure bumped up rounds this year by a huge amount over 2019.  Hope that holds true that people are coming back to the game but I know talking with the City Aurora directors they not projecting it for next year in the budget. Called this year oddly a "bonus" given everything.  They project it being equal to or less then 2019.  

*Aurora accounts that a lot players this year will start working again in the office, go back to work for those who were let go during the pandemic and were out playing during the stimulus months. The budget as I recall projected a small decline actually based on 2019 year not 2020.  Matching what it it had been the years prior to COVID....

Edited by CDM

On 12/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, ALi3 said:

Realizing I should probably take small steps first, I decided to take the general advice from you all and join a league to see how I like competitive golf. Worst case scenario I have some guaranteed times on weekend mornings throughout next year, which was one of my top complaints anyways. Looking forward to it!

congrats!

do you have any plans to supplement with a range card or like a short game area "membership", if that makes sense?

i'm starting to lean toward a traveling league, but in good weather months i could easily spend $300 on range balls. playing 2-3 rounds/week on top of that could get very spendy very quickly, and i'm trying to keep costs down this upcoming year. to be fair i haven't crunched the numbers, but i sense a membership could end up being cheaper for a range rat like me. 😁

separately, have you started to think about game-planning for rounds at new courses?

if i were to go the traveling league route i'd absolutely want to play a practice round and walk the course before each tournament. you know, take some notes on lines and places to miss, figure out the best angles into the greens for pin positions, etc. i've never played most courses here so maybe this is a non-issue for you and others, i'm just curious to see how others would approach. 

thanks!

16 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

separately, have you started to think about game-planning for rounds at new courses?

if i were to go the traveling league route i'd absolutely want to play a practice round and walk the course before each tournament. you know, take some notes on lines and places to miss, figure out the best angles into the greens for pin positions, etc. i've never played most courses here so maybe this is a non-issue for you and others, i'm just curious to see how others would approach. 

For me, I think my game has improved a bit with the "play it and forget it" mentality. I now no longer play super aggressive like cutting corners over trees and such, which certainly has reduced lost balls and having to punch out of the trees or deep rough. When I stand on the tee, I look at my golf GPS app, which utilizes Google Maps satellite imagery, to get an overview of the hole. Based on what I see laid out in front of me, as well as what I see on the GPS app, I long-press on the map to an area where I think my ball should end up and choose a club accordingly.

Before I play, I've also starting actually looking at the scorecard and handicap calculator a lot more. I rarely play from the tips now. If moving up one tee box gives me 11 pops, and moving up another gives me 10, I analyze the 11-handicap hole to see if I would likely bogey the hole (like a 470yd par 4 or 220yd par 3). If I think I could par the hole, I move up a tee box; that also means most par 4s are more gettable for me (i.e., I'll most likely be hitting a wedge or lower into the hole with a decent drive).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDM said:

It is interesting to build another one from scratch in that location honestly BUT I am all for it.  There will now be 4 courses within 5 miles roughly of each other.  *Highland Meadows / Ptarmigan / Pelican Lakes  and now Raindance.  Pretty nice if you live in that area and love golf.

Ever since the first time I played Highland Meadows I was jealous of people who lived up there. I still think it'll mostly be residents and those up north. Denver people generally don't drive that far for golf and I hope that continues. With all the people playing this year, I actually had one round go over 4 hours at Highland Meadows which is unacceptable! 🙂

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to me 😁  Got my driver and 3w in. Both are the TSi3 with Graphite Design Tour AD XC shafts. I got insanely lucky in that when I purchased these, the Tour AD shafts were part of the standard shaft offerings. Now they’re a $200 up charge. Not sure how or why but I’ll take it!  

I decided to go with Club Champion for my fitting and was so happy with them. Mitch is great to work with and I’d highly recommend using him. I picked up the clubs and Mitch spent an hour with me dialing in swing weight and settings on the clubs. Can’t wait for the weather to clear up so I can take these out. For now they’re wrapped under the tree...I convinced my wife that these would be a perfect present for the kids to get me 😉

B1F9D098-5083-4210-94AB-47100702D8D5.jpeg

736C98E5-DDC2-45DD-B1EE-805DAC0B32B1.jpeg

07383A22-9C90-4774-87D1-604FF320CEAF.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, CDM said:

Working up north a lot I have meet Martin a number of times through development projects and he does love golf 😃    

I saw them break ground on the development early this year and then saw them moving dirt on the ridge in August and was wondering if it was for the course or some infrastructure for the development.  Good to see its the course. 

One bonus is COVID sure bumped up rounds this year by a huge amount over 2019.  Hope that holds true that people are coming back to the game but I know talking with the City Aurora directors they not projecting it for next year in the budget. Called this year oddly a "bonus" given everything.  They project it being equal to or less then 2019.  

*Aurora accounts that a lot players this year will start working again in the office, go back to work for those who were let go during the pandemic and were out playing during the stimulus months. The budget as I recall projected a small decline actually based on 2019 year not 2020.  Matching what it it had been the years prior to COVID....

Hey CDM, the terrain and road looks vaguely familiar, but I’m not 100% sure. Where is this located in relation to Windsor?  Thanks. 

Y'all are excited about new golf clubs. I'm excited I'm getting a second pair of golf shoes. 😄 I can finally retire my 6-year-old FootJoy Contour Boa shoes.

One of my biggest regrets of this year was that CPO had Ping G410 Crossover 17° and 20° irons with x-stiff shafts (standard length and lie) for something like $125 each, and I didn't pull the trigger. I still may look into buying a Callaway 2 hybrid. I might have a few clubs in the garage with some trade-in value.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, pseudoswede said:

I still may look into buying a Callaway 2 hybrid

do you have a particular model in mind? there is a hole in my bag around this spot and i'm a fan of callaway pre-owned. but don't worry, i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on a new club so you don't have to worry about any competition from me 😜

Edited by hoselpalooza

2 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

do you have a particular model in mind? there is a hole in my bag around this spot and i'm a fan of calloway pre-owned. but don't worry, i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on a new club so you don't have to worry about any competition from me 😜

I'm a cheap ho. I don't feel like spending more than $100 on a golf club after trade-in. I've never been able to hit a hybrid well, but maybe that is because all of mine have stiff shafts. The Apex 19 2-hybrid with a Project X Catalyst 80 6.5 shaft was down to $93 during their Black Friday sale, but I didn't pull the trigger.

What I find interesting on 2nd Swing is that the G410 Crossover irons are $170 used (8.0 condition), but drop-shipping a brand new one from them is $187. The prices on eBay are even more crazy. Doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Y'all are excited about new golf clubs. I'm excited I'm getting a second pair of golf shoes. 😄 I can finally retire my 6-year-old FootJoy Contour Boa shoes.

One of my biggest regrets of this year was that CPO had Ping G410 Crossover 17° and 20° irons with x-stiff shafts (standard length and lie) for something like $125 each, and I didn't pull the trigger. I still may look into buying a Callaway 2 hybrid. I might have a few clubs in the garage with some trade-in value.

Oh I have a golf shoe problem too, particularly Jordan golf shoes 🙃 I have 6 pairs of golf shoes currently.  It's a problem. 

For a hybrid, can't recommend the Cobra F7 enough.  It's a few years old now so I'm guessing you can find it pretty cheap.  When I got fit for my driver and 3w I fully intended to get a new hybrid too....but nothing came close to beating out the F7 for me so it's staying in the bag.  I love that club.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dancin said:

I believe it is just southeast of Pelican Lakes. You can see all the arroyos in the aerial maps.

11 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Hey CDM, the terrain and road looks vaguely familiar, but I’m not 100% sure. Where is this located in relation to Windsor?  Thanks. 

Its actually directly WEST of Pelican Lakes.   North of New Liberty Road and Orchard Bloom Drive about a mile north.  If you google street view you will see an open area north and the is curretnly, being developed.  There are two ground tanks, think water, on the SE corner of the property area.  Did a small project south of the area so saw it over late summer.... again I never knew it was course until recently.

Dancin is right some really good golf in the area if this course turns out to match the hype.   Highland is excellent.

* Sorry should of noted it is in Windsor.  On the google maps image you will see the BROWN area north of Liberty Road intersection I note... that is the location.

Edited by CDM

7 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

HAHAHAH people collect putters, etc... I do on golf shoes LOL.   Years back stared using Ecco's and they seem to NOT wear out for some reason but yet I cant help myself.  

I just caved again last month only because they had the Black Friday sale which was 40% for like 8 hours, which was also off any sale price, only $125 shipped. So for ECCO good deal.  I admit they are not "sporty" shoes for looks but soooo comfortable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

how far north?

separately, drove down to englewood/centennial today and it was still blanketed in snow. 

Sorry, my response wasn’t really very relevant to Hardrain’s post since he said the Metro area,,  I was just whining along since we’re still covered here in Greeley as well. I’m hoping we’ll be clear by Saturday.  

• Like 1