Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Nice. There's a reason they don't let you post scores out of season. Highland Meadows was in good shape but the greens are pretty slow.

yeah, the roll out was crazy. got perhaps 50y or more. the major difficulty for me was holding greens. they were mostly hard as rock and hitting partial shots required a different approach -- more like links style than target golf. after following monte's recent thread about hitting wedges shorter, i was a little self-conscious about nuking the short clubs 😅. but this was one case where adding loft and spin with the wedges would have helped tremendously. e.g. you don't have to worry about spinning balls off of a freakin' slate pool table, so higher and more spinny is the way to go 😂

Beautiful weather this week and I can't find a tee time anywhere. I am happy that the pandemic has been a major boost to the game of golf but it seems like in the summer and fall all my usual go to tracks have required you to book times right when they open to be able to get anything decent. I seem to lack the foresight to do that!! ha

I am thinking about private options for next year. Anyone else considering that direction?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hardrain said:

Beautiful weather this week and I can't find a tee time anywhere. I am happy that the pandemic has been a major boost to the game of golf but it seems like in the summer and fall all my usual go to tracks have required you to book times right when they open to be able to get anything decent. I seem to lack the foresight to do that!! ha

I am thinking about private options for next year. Anyone else considering that direction?

good question. i'm thinking about doing a relatively inexpensive "semi-private" membership at a muni which is basically marketing speak for "public + some privileges". commonground looks appealing. keen to find out what others are doing or have in mind.

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

I have looked on and off all year about joining a private club, but  could not justify it based on my schedule between work and family.   Once I get business aspect in better control on time factor then I will probably join one. 

6 hours ago, Hardrain said:

If tee times on the weekend are your biggest issue, you could join a league at a course. Most have 1-2 events a month and the guys in the league are usually booking times for other group cash games during the month most weekends, so you wouldn't have to worry about tee times. There's also traveling leagues that book outings 2-3 times a month at different courses around town, but that is going to be more expensive since you are paying rack rate+ to be able to reserve those ahead of time (e.g. frgclub.com)

If you have the money, nothing is going to beat a private course where you'll be able to get on almost any time you want and play in 3.5 hours or less. I would caution you on joining either of the two Club Corp owned courses though. It may have changed, but I know three people who quit over the last 10 years because getting morning weekend tee times was a pain. Colorado Avid golfer lists all the private club costs in CO every year. Here is 2020: https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/the-2020-private-club-guide/

And ask about any promotions or discounts for the private clubs you are looking at. The only ones that would take offense to that are invitation only anyway.

Edited by Dancin
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

played at boomerang links earlier today. gorgeous 51ºF and sunny, couldn't have asked for better weather. people were great and the greens exceeded expectations. fun track with lots of interesting and challenging holes. 

first time i've hit driver at elevation (and since 2019 thanksgiving) and the combination of altitude and frozen fairways has me feeling like i should sign up for the WLDC 😂. shot even on the front with a birdie and an eagle and not even on the back 😂. 30 putts total and should have been a few less. but after just my third round of the year this was my best one so far and i'm feeling super high on life right now. (and maybe a couple of bevies 😜.) can't wait to get out more and play!!

sorry for bragging, i'm just the only duffer in my circle around here and this is way more meaningful to me than my friends and fam, god bless them. hoping some of you can relate to having a fun round and nobody to BS with about it afterward 😉

Boomerang in Greeley?

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

If tee times on the weekend are your biggest issue, you could join a league at a course. Most have 1-2 events a month and the guys in the league are usually booking times for other group cash games during the month most weekends, so you wouldn't have to worry about tee times. There's also traveling leagues that book outings 2-3 times a month at different courses around town, but that is going to be more expensive since you are paying rack rate+ to be able to reserve those ahead of time (e.g. frgclub.com)

If you have the money, nothing is going to beat a private course where you'll be able to get on almost any time you want and play in 3.5 hours or less. I would caution you on joining either of the two Club Corp owned courses though. It may have changed, but I know three people who quit over the last 10 years because getting morning weekend tee times was a pain. Colorado Avid golfer lists all the private club costs in CO every year. Here is 2020: https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/the-2020-private-club-guide/

And ask about any promotions or discounts for the private clubs you are looking at. The only ones that would take offense to that are invitation only anyway.

I probably know three people last year who quit Club Corp because it was impossible to get tee times; I also know a few more who quit the Blackstone/Black Bear MGA because it's so poorly run.

When I first moved to Denver, I was a member of Kennedy Men's Club. It was great getting 8/9am tee times on weekends (we played both Kennedy and Wellshire) twice a month in the summers, plus a little competition made it even better. I've now moved on to traveling golf leagues, which gives me the variety that I like. Now that our Thursday night league is becoming more mobile, that also now adds to the variety. The frugalness in me prevents me from joining a club because I would feel that I would need to play that course all the time "to get my money's worth".

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

8 hours ago, Hardrain said:

I think this week it's been that Denver courses just haven't been able to open yet, despite the gorgeous weather.  GVR is finally opening tomorrow but the past few days they haven't been able to allow play on the course.  Same with Denver muni courses.  But your point is valid, it's been crazy with tee times this year.  Have to get right on it!

I play CommonGround Men's Club off and on, which is great to get those prime Saturday morning spots. I understand that morning weekend spots are always going to be tough to grab (even at a private club). I think what frustrates me the most was this summer and fall, when even trying to cut out of work early on a weekday it was tough to find spots at times. I often don't know more than a day or two in advance when I might find some time to play, so having to plan ahead is difficult.

I also want to play more with my kids, who are learning, and slow, and it seems like there is NEVER a time anywhere where the course is relatively dead and you can go out there and take your time, enjoy yourself, etc.

Problem is, golf popularity at the moment seems to have trickled up to clubs as well, and I don't think many are offering promos as interest is high.

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

The frugalness in me prevents me from joining a club because I would feel that I would need to play that course all the time "to get my money's worth".

this is probably top 3 concerns for me. i like the idea of having a home club and all of the accompanying benefits, but after you and @Noodler opened my eyes to traveling clubs i've begun to consider FRGC or the am tour as options. only thing is i'm a newbie to the area and it's going to take a lot of work to feel adequately prepared to compete at each course on the circuit. i'm uncertain if i'll be in a position to execute on this next year.

before i learnt about the traveling clubs i was 90% going to make commonground my home course. cg ticks a lot of boxes for me like challenging, walkable, apparently reasonable pace compared to other metro courses, big greens with lots of undulation, unlimited range balls at 400y range (with annual pass), history of hosting high-level events, etc...

• Like 1

I was interested in the traveling golf leagues but then I realized most of the tourneys start around 10am on Saturday because clubs don't want to give up their prime early tee times. So, let's say maybe you get a 10:30 tee time, and given that the events are all around the metro area, you can probably expect a 30-45 minute drive.  So you leave home at 9 am, play your round until probably 3:30, maybe have a beer or two after, drive home, and get home around 5? That doesn't fly for my wife and kids! haha

This is the main reason I joined the CG club, they tee off at 6am. So, if you get a good tee time, you can get up early, go play the event, and be home before lunch. Not a concern for everyone but it was what made my decision on a league, even though I don't live near CG (but love the course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

yup, that's the one! you know it?

I do, live about a mile from the course. Don’t play it as much as I probably should, but I do always enjoy it. I was going to ask if you lived in Greeley, but it doesn’t look like it after reading the next couple of posts. If you’re ever up here playing again, shoot me a PM. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

only thing is i'm a newbie to the area and it's going to take a lot of work to feel adequately prepared to compete at each course on the circuit.

I posted this in another thread on WRX, but when I was in high school many decades ago, I made my own golf journal. In the evening, after each round, I would sit and write down my hole-by-hole score, all of the stats, as well as reflections about how I played each hole--all by memory. Now, by the time I put my clubs into the car and go into the clubhouse for a beer, I can barely remember the round I just shot let alone the course layout! Two of my best scores in recent memory have come from rounds at courses I was playing for the very first time (Indian Peaks and Colorado National) in FRGC events.

9 hours ago, Hardrain said:

I was interested in the traveling golf leagues but then I realized most of the tourneys start around 10am on Saturday because clubs don't want to give up their prime early tee times. So, let's say maybe you get a 10:30 tee time, and given that the events are all around the metro area, you can probably expect a 30-45 minute drive.  So you leave home at 9 am, play your round until probably 3:30, maybe have a beer or two after, drive home, and get home around 5? That doesn't fly for my wife and kids! haha

This is the main reason I joined the CG club, they tee off at 6am. So, if you get a good tee time, you can get up early, go play the event, and be home before lunch. Not a concern for everyone but it was what made my decision on a league, even though I don't live near CG (but love the course).

Very valid points. One of the downsides of living on the south side of the metro area is that I'm 35-75 minutes (each way) from most courses we play in FRGC. The later-ish tee times does allow me to knock out a thing or two on my honey-do list before leaving. FRGC (and I'm sure most golf leagues) definitely works with their players on shuffling tee times based on need. I definitely throw in a request the week of the tournament based on my kids' (or Formula 1 😄 ) schedule. Thank goodness my oldest will get her license in two weeks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

I probably know three people last year who quit Club Corp because it was impossible to get tee times; I also know a few more who quit the Blackstone/Black Bear MGA because it's so poorly run.

When I first moved to Denver, I was a member of Kennedy Men's Club. It was great getting 8/9am tee times on weekends (we played both Kennedy and Wellshire) twice a month in the summers, plus a little competition made it even better. I've now moved on to traveling golf leagues, which gives me the variety that I like. Now that our Thursday night league is becoming more mobile, that also now adds to the variety. The frugalness in me prevents me from joining a club because I would feel that I would need to play that course all the time "to get my money's worth".

As a younger guy (<30) in the planning stages of my golf future I was originally leaning towards Blackstone/Black Bear because they seemed like the best value. The more I read on here it seems like joining a league, or two, might be the better solution for wallet and desire to play more than one course.  

23 hours ago, ALi3 said:

As a younger guy (<30) in the planning stages of my golf future I was originally leaning towards Blackstone/Black Bear because they seemed like the best value. The more I read on here it seems like joining a league, or two, might be the better solution for wallet and desire to play more than one course.  

Both of those were wide open semi-privates before club corp bought them and they're pretty much the same right now with how many members club corp has. If a private course is priced similar to public/semi private annual passes, there's usually a good reason for that. At your age there are lots of deals around town for junior memberships which dramatically cuts the initiation costs and sometimes the annuals too up until you are 40 or so, but unless you are playing 4+ times a week, a private course you can get on anytime you want is never going to be cheaper than public courses.

• Like 1

As much as I loathe to venture into the other parts of this website, there are actually a few good threads about the pros/cons of joining a club. In short, if you ever look at a private club membership from a "getting my money's worth" perspective, you simply won't. I think most people who truly value a private club membership are the ones who actually use it as a networking tool, and usually being able to snag a last-minute tee time especially if you sneak out of work early to squeeze in 9 or 18.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

As much as I loathe to venture into the other parts of this website, there are actually a few good threads about the pros/cons of joining a club. In short, if you ever look at a private club membership from a "getting my money's worth" perspective, you simply won't. I think most people who truly value a private club membership are the ones who actually use it as a networking tool, and usually being able to snag a last-minute tee time especially if you sneak out of work early to squeeze in 9 or 18.

What is this "sneak out of work early" thing you talk about  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree, from a pure dollars and cents perspective I don't think it ever makes sense. You have to see it as paying an upcharge for a better experience (better pace of play, maybe nicer course/conditions, more flexibility on tee times, etc.) That said, my kids are starting to play and will (hopefully) play a lot more in the coming years. It was painful the other day when I paid over $100 for my family of 4 to go play 9 late in the afternoon at our local muni!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

Both of those were wide open semi-privates before club corp bought them and they're pretty much the same right now with how many members club corp has. If a private course is priced similar to public/semi private annual passes, there's usually a good reason for that. At your age there are lots of deals around town for junior memberships which dramatically cuts the initiation costs and sometimes the annuals too up until you are 40 or so, but unless you are playing 4+ times a week, a private course you can get on anytime you want is never going to be cheaper than public courses.

44 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Thanks for the insight guys! Sincerely appreciate it. I'm thinking about pivoting to looking into leagues for next year. FRGC looks interesting because they play a variety of courses throughout the season, and then maybe another league that has weekday 9s somewhere closer. 

13 hours ago, Dancin said:

At your age there are lots of deals around town for junior memberships which dramatically cuts the initiation costs and sometimes the annuals too up until you are 40 or so, but unless you are playing 4+ times a week, a private course you can get on anytime you want is never going to be cheaper than public courses.

The Jr. rates are definitely a huge advantage. Dancin is absolutely right but there are exceptions that I find for myself that bend some of the overall costs. Mostly, I play a lot more <= 9 hole days. Sometimes I only have an hour in the evening so I'll just do a 4 hole loop. How much more often would you squeeze 9 or less if it's paid for?

10 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

For me the biggest difference maker is all in how much I play. For me it's always worth it as I'm usually playing > 36 holes a week. This year the last minute tee times, or even better, "look #1/10 is open" is REALLY nice.

Having said all of that, I think it's REALLY hard to find a great club. I was at CO National for 5 years but there is no way I'm going back there. To find a reasonable private club that has a great layout, conditions, and greens is pretty tough. To be honest, if you live in the south half of Denver I don't know more then one or two that are even close to reasonably priced. Luckily up north it's much cheaper and makes the private price absolutely worth it.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

Agreed with all the thoughts on going private.  I go through this analysis every year with my golf buddies.  The problem for me is I enjoy playing various courses and, more importantly, I enjoy playing with my friends.  So the problem then becomes that if I join a club, I need my friends to join with me.  Otherwise I'm paying for my club and paying to play public courses with them or expecting them to come play at my club and pay what are usually much higher guest rates than the courses we normally play.  Not to mention the awkwardness of inviting someone to play at your club and then asking them to pay for the round?  It just gets a little weird, in my opinion.  

However, with two boys who are really getting into golf and like to play whenever they can and as much as they can, I have the same thoughts about how nice it would be to join a club and take the kids out whenever they want to play or let them go bang balls on the range.  So I'm torn.  Problem is, the only clubs close enough to me to justify joining are Denver CC (never happening), Cherry Creek, or Lakewood. 

Cherry Creek and Lakewood are both about 20 minutes for me.  I've never played Lakewood but the vibe sounds like it is right up my alley.  Pricey though.  CC I've played a bunch and the course isn't bad but I don't love it, and the membership seems to skew towards the older side and while the facilities are top notch and very nice, it seems a little stuffy for me.  Perhaps that's not an accurate assessment but that's been my experience there.  

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Agreed with all the thoughts on going private.  I go through this analysis every year with my golf buddies.  The problem for me is I enjoy playing various courses and, more importantly, I enjoy playing with my friends.  So the problem then becomes that if I join a club, I need my friends to join with me.  Otherwise I'm paying for my club and paying to play public courses with them or expecting them to come play at my club and pay what are usually much higher guest rates than the courses we normally play.  Not to mention the awkwardness of inviting someone to play at your club and then asking them to pay for the round?  It just gets a little weird, in my opinion.  

However, with two boys who are really getting into golf and like to play whenever they can and as much as they can, I have the same thoughts about how nice it would be to join a club and take the kids out whenever they want to play or let them go bang balls on the range.  So I'm torn.  Problem is, the only clubs close enough to me to justify joining are Denver CC (never happening), Cherry Creek, or Lakewood. 

Cherry Creek and Lakewood are both about 20 minutes for me.  I've never played Lakewood but the vibe sounds like it is right up my alley.  Pricey though.  CC I've played a bunch and the course isn't bad but I don't love it, and the membership seems to skew towards the older side and while the facilities are top notch and very nice, it seems a little stuffy for me.  Perhaps that's not an accurate assessment but that's been my experience there.  

On the friends joining part.... I completely get where you are coming from as I had the same debate/problem when I was signing up. The good news is I joined at the Fox Hill Club and everyone I know loves the course. Since they only charge $45 weekdays and $55 weekends (only $45 to ride if I bulk-buy guest passes in Jan/Feb) it ends up being cheaper than public golf on the weekend mornings for a course with pristine conditions. Turns out all my friends thank me for hosting every time since it's cheaper and we are able to get a time.

My wife and I love Fox Hill so much that we're already planning on buying a house on the course within a couple years.

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about when it comes to South Denver private courses. I've played Liquid CC (what the members call it) a few times and it's a solid track but $40k initiation.... ew. The two I have friends that joined are Meridian and Inverness and they both seemed pretty affordable. I don't like any of them as much as Fox but what are you going to do.

• Like 2

The cheaper privates I would say are tremendous values are Fox Hill, Harmony and Red Rocks (although Red rocks starts to creep up in price and has some caveats). I would have joined Fox Hill years ago but it's just a little too far from me at 35-40 minutes.

If anyone happens to live way up north, Harmony is an excellent private that is even cheaper than Fox Hill on the annual. A very good Jim Engh course where he didn't go completely crazy like some of his other courses.

Red Rocks is a good layout with great scenery, but they still have issues with some of their greens that really need to be redone to fix some black layer issues that cause problems throughout the year. It's also pricier at about a grand more a year than Fox Hill and Harmony plus they have a higher initiation although if you are a junior I think they have some really good deals.

1 minute ago, Joelness said:

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about when it comes to South Denver private courses. I've played Liquid CC (what the members call it) a few times and it's a solid track but $40k initiation.... ew. The two I have friends that joined are Meridian and Inverness and they both seemed pretty affordable. I don't like any of them as much as Fox but what are you going to do.

First, great seeing you post on here again, @Joelness!

With a quick look-around, it seems like DU/Highlands Ranch Golf Club is only about $250/mo, which is not bad. Lone Tree is not terrible at $325/mo, but getting last-minute tee times is pretty much impossible. The Ridge at Castle Pines North is also reasonable ($285/mo), but they nickle-and-dime you if you want to play during prime tee times; and the course is not a fun walk.

I think Meridian has the best practice facilities on the south side, and you can just join the range for $800-900/yr (I have an e-mail in with the membership director to get current pricing); but the regular membership is pretty steep considering you can pay almost the same at Pinery/Pradera and get a swimming pool and exercise facilities (important for families, maybe not for childless folk). The course itself is pretty good; a much tamer Nicklaus course compared to CCCC or Country Club at Castle Pines.

Inverness is just blah and definitely not worth $515/mo*, but maybe at $275/mo if you're willing to tee off after noon. * - that said, I'm not sure just how busy they are since they appear to have gone full private with only hotel guests allowed.

33 minutes ago, Joelness said:

On the friends joining part.... I completely get where you are coming from as I had the same debate/problem when I was signing up. The good news is I joined at the Fox Hill Club and everyone I know loves the course. Since they only charge $45 weekdays and $55 weekends (only $45 to ride if I bulk-buy guest passes in Jan/Feb) it ends up being cheaper than public golf on the weekend mornings for a course with pristine conditions. Turns out all my friends thank me for hosting every time since it's cheaper and we are able to get a time.

My wife and I love Fox Hill so much that we're already planning on buying a house on the course within a couple years.

For $45 and $55 I agree, that's a steal!  

If I could get my wife to move I'd probably buy a house on Flying Horse and join there, I love that place and they just opened a second 18 that's supposed to be awesome as well (but I haven't played it yet).  I've thought of Meridian because the price is right and the practice areas are great.  I just can't get over the routing of the course....I hate seeing all those buildings right there and the planes flying overhead.  The course itself is amazing and the players there are legit, would be a great challenge, but not sure I can get over those other things.  Inverness I like a lot, its's just a far enough drive for me that I'm a little hesitant.  The price is definitely right though.  Maybe I'll give that a try for next year.  

2 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Inverness is just blah and definitely not worth $515/mo*, but maybe at $275/mo if you're willing to tee off after noon. * - that said, I'm not sure just how busy they are since they appear to have gone full private with only hotel guests allowed.

I know a couple Inverness members who are doing the afternoon only membership. They generally have no issues getting on when they want, but yeah the course isn't anything amazing and guest fees are expensive.

8 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

First, great seeing you post on here again, @Joelness!

With a quick look-around, it seems like DU/Highlands Ranch Golf Club is only about $250/mo, which is not bad. Lone Tree is not terrible at $325/mo, but getting last-minute tee times is pretty much impossible. The Ridge at Castle Pines North is also reasonable ($285/mo), but they nickle-and-dime you if you want to play during prime tee times; and the course is not a fun walk.

I think Meridian has the best practice facilities on the south side, and you can just join the range for $800-900/yr (I have an e-mail in with the membership director to get current pricing); but the regular membership is pretty steep considering you can pay almost the same at Pinery/Pradera and get a swimming pool and exercise facilities (important for families, maybe not for childless folk). The course itself is pretty good; a much tamer Nicklaus course compared to CCCC or Country Club at Castle Pines.

Good to be back. Now that it's getting cold I'm not on the course every day 😭 so it's back to the forum.

Thanks for the info about those other courses. It's always good to know where things are and tbh I think this is the best way to find out what the best private course is for your area.