2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mackenzie, Jones, Stitch

Anyone playing Mackenzie, Jones, Stitch golf bag? I primarily a rider but like the look and size of these minimalist bags. I’m primarily a rider but prefer not to lug around a cart bag. When I do walk it’s at courses where carts aren’t allowed (private clubs and tourneys w/ caddie). Which do you prefer and is it also a good cart bag?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been using a Jones Stripeshow as my primary bag since November. I walk 9 holes a couple times a week but also play 18 with a cart a couple times a month. The bag is awesome on a walk and perfectly fine on a cart.

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

jones original and players no stand, they do make one with a stand though. Mac no stand. Stitch does have a stand I’m pretty sure The jones players is structured so it doesn’t sag when stood up. The original bag I actually prefer to the players and I cut an alignment stick and stuck it in the back long pocket and it helped to take a lot of the sag out of the bag and keeps it from sagging pretty good and weighs nothing

The old sun mountain swift x was such a great sized bag I used it for so long that bigger sized bags just seem so huge to me. The swift x seems to be equal in size to the stitch so it’s a great size

good luck picking one out. But for what’s its worth I’d go with the jones original like the other guy said with the stripeshow

Have never used a Jones, so can’t comment on them. They seemed a little too rigid and bulky for walking for my tastes so I never really looked at them.

The Mackenzie is great for walking, provided you are willing to accept the fact that it has no legs and are prepared to bend over to the ground each time you want to pick it up during the round. They are well made and of high quality construction. They will last for years. The leather is pretty heavy, but the nylon and canvas options are very nice. However, Mackenzie’s don’t have much rigidity, so they are a challenge to use in a cart, whether a motorized cart or a push cart. To the point that I wouldn’t recommend one for any time you are riding.

I’ve had a few Stitch SL1 bags and am done with them. The feet are notorious for falling off, and while Stitch will send you out new legs, the latest straw for me was when the stitching separated on the side pocket. During my last round with the bag, I put a ball in the water and went to go find a replacement. I knew I had four balls in the pocket when I started the round and was wondering if one of my buddies had removed the balls as a joke. It was the 18th hole, so I just carded a double and went in. When I got home, I was doing more investigating and noticed how the stitching at the label inside the pocket had torn and the balls had ended up at the bottom of the main compartment. It’s a shame. I love bags with minimal pockets, with only one club divider and perfect in their simplicity. The Stitch was that for me, but the quality issues I experienced will keep me from looking at Stitch in the future.

I have 2 Jones bags, and would prefer to walk, I've had a number of walking specific, lightweight bags, I'll give my two cents below

1) Jones- My everyday bag, great for walking, I don't notice not having the legs. I just take it off my shoulder, put the base on the ground, get my yardage with my range finder ( clipped to the top strap) pull a club and set it down. The cons would be that it can be tough to pull clubs. I have the players series, with one divider, and the original which has 3 dividers and the original is a little easier, but I love the look of my players bag.

2) Stitch- I know several people who have them. Not everyone loves them, their first model the SL-1 I believe had a lot of QC issues. Definitely rides in a cart better.

3)- McKenz - basically Ultra high end jones bag. Will last forever, durable and amazing cust support. Pricey. Everyone I know who as one loves them, but the are woke golfers and swag degenrates. Id have one if I could afford a custom one. probably will one day.

4) Sun mountain 2.5- Lightest and best stand bag I've had. I had the first version, QC issues have almost all but been resolved from the first iteration, highly recommend.

If you want a non-stand bag that will ride at times I'd look at the Jones Rover, non-stand version. Ive played with a major walker and he had it. more pockets but still functional and a little sturdier than the original or the Players. Jones has a big black Friday sale around 50% off, and theres some on ebay.

McKenzies are amazing, but Id try the non stand walking bag from Jones to see if you like it first. Id say the players is the worst on a cart. but that my favorite.

Hope that helps

I've used a Stitch SL1 bag regularly for the past 2.5 years and love it. It's nice and lightweight and looks fantastic IMO. I've not had the QC issues mentioned here, and I've used mine primarily carrying for probably 75 rounds or so. The only issue I've had is the lining in one of the pockets has ripped from the outer shell, and that's only because I overloaded the pocket with gear. I couldn't be happier with mine. Works great on a cart as well, but my only complaint there is the cart has scratched the black finish on the legs.

I also own a Jones Utility Rover which I really like. I don't use it nearly as often though as the ground is frequently wet/muddy and I don't want to mess it up and track mud into my car when I'm done, or onto my clothing as I play. Fine on a cart as well.

I have the new SL2 from Stitch. Their first one had MAJOR QC issues; primarily being the legs. I ride and carry my bag, almost 50/50. The bag might not weigh the lightest, but in your back, you don’t notice it being on the ‘heavy’ side. It’s pretty easy to walk 18 with - I walked 36 one day last month with it.

The quality on the new SL2 is actually really good. It’d very minimalist so don’t expect to fit a ton in the bag. On a cart, it sits very well as well. You can lock the legs in and it’ll stand up perfectly on it’s own. I know caddies enjoy looping it because of how light the bag ends up being due to the minimalist approach leading to less storage for non-essentials.

WITB 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3D w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 

3W: Callaway Mav SZ w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 7x 

DI: Callaway X-Forged 2021 w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-8: Miura CB's w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

9/pw: Callaway Apex MB 21' w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50,55,60: Vokey SM8 Raw w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: Toulon Garage Las Vegas

I finally received my Titleist Links Master caddie bag. Definitely another option in this category. Only walked 18 with it so far but I'm very happy with it. Its heavier than my 2.5+ but doesn't carry like it is, very balanced and I had zero issues with clubs getting tangled. I use midsize grips, I was somewhat concerned it would be an issue. I think they did a great job with the pocket lay out and being waterproof is an extra bonus.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime