2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

College Recruiting

Division I recruiting dead period extended through July 31

Decision applies to all sports

May 27, 2020 6:31pm Michelle Brutlag Hosick

The Division I Council Coordination Committee extended the recruiting dead period in all sports through July 31.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-i-recruiting-dead-period-extended-through-july-31

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Don't know about your school district but there are rumblings that the school year could start two weeks earlier which would severely cut into the 'summer' recruiting period. My son isn't part of this but I do have friends with kids that this will impact.

They are thinking of delaying schools here.

Whether right, wrong, or indifferent, public schools will be in a CYA mode. The Cabal and I have been discussing it this morning. Following CDC guidelines on social distancing, how can secondary schools afford to operate? Elementary schools for the most part will be OK. There will be a cost to social distancing in schools. 6 sq ft is what will have to be marked off for each kid in the classroom. That means most classrooms are more than likely going to have less than 20 kids per classroom depending on the school. That means you then have a couple of different options.

You could do double sessions at each school. The problem there will be figuring out how to hire and pay more teachers. Districts aren't going to have the money to deal with that financial burden. They also aren't going to be able to find enough teachers as that career isn't producing enough bodies. The other option would be to pay teachers they currently have more to work longer hours. I really don't see this as an option either. The only other way to work double sessions would be to drop all extra curricular classes (art, pe, music, band, etc) and just have core curriculum classes as math, history, English, and science.

The other option would be what people are calling the California Model. Kids go to school once a week and then the rest is all online learning. Teachers would hold office hours the rest of the week for appointment only tutoring.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Districts are considering using physical barriers instead of the 6 foot distance rule. This has already been approved by the CDC and is being implemented now. The difference would be that the students stay at their desks during the day and the teachers move from classroom to classroom to teach them different subjects.

1824-2.jpg

What does one of those cost? In my mind I am thinking $100 each. I don't see a school district of any size affording those.

How does a high school not change classes? Same for a middle school? I don't see those working on the secondary level.

Our school district is facing an $8M budget shortage. The district already has just under $20M in fundraising every year for their yearly budget to cover what we don't get back from the state. Now that number has to be jacked up even more to keep the status quo in funding. There are going to have to be cuts.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

The same way people that take public transit to work. APTA has addressed this since the beginning and has provided a ton of information.

As for school districts you should expect them to be using an electrostatic sprayer with a disinfectant cleaner on the buses before and after their routes. Many of these have an efficacy of 5 second to 2 minutes for bacteria and organisms including coronavirus, HIV, MRSA, etc. If you see your district using a spray bottle to disinfect their busses you should drop them off yourself.

Recruiting will not stop entirely, but the dead period is an obstacle for coaches to overcome as it prevents face-to-face contact, including on-campus visits, in-person scouting, or in-home visits. Coaches can still make contact with recruits through text messages, phone calls and written correspondence.

Can you guys clarify something for me as I am hearing conflicting things. I was under the impression that coaches could not contact directly a player or parent until 9/1 of his or her junior year. I have had a few people tell me that that is incorrect, that the date is 7/1 of their junior year. These are people that I would expect to know what they are talking about so I'm not sure what is correct.

It depends on what you mean by "directly contact"

D1 Anytime: "College coaches can send recruits general materials, such as questionnaires, camp information, non-athletic information about the school and materials published by the NCAA."

D2 Anytime: "Coaches can send recruits general materials, including questionnaires, camp brochures, NCAA materials and non-athletic information about the school. Student-athletes can take unofficial visits and aren’t restricted in the number of unofficial visits they take."

D1/D2 June 15 after Sophomore year: "College coaches can call, text, email, direct message and conduct off-campus contact with an athlete and/or their family."

Official visits: Aug 1 after Sophomore year for D1; June 15 after Sophomore year for D2

D3 can do any type of contact anytime in high schoolhttps://www.ncsasports.org/mens-golf/recruiting-rules-calendar

Great piece put together on recruiting the 2022 class by Brendan Ryan.

Highlight: This data is compelling; it goes against the narrative that recruiting can happen late and you can still earn a great opportunity at a Major conference school or top ranked program. Instead, the data would suggest that early on, coaches believe that a small, well developed pool will likely lead them to accomplish their recruiting goals.

Outlook for 2022 — Golf Placement Services

Interesting read - really does speak to ideally being on a coach's radar by the time official recruiting starts, especially for desirable programs.

Are transfers really that high a % of recruits in any given year? Looking at a lot of rosters, many teams do not even have a single transfer, so it seems like a very small %?

Yes as stated in the article

I guess what I'm asking is, in a "normal" year, if a coach is looking at 2022 this summer for recruiting, he is going to be comparing that rising junior in high school to someone he might be able to pick up next summer among the possible college transfers, because they have to sit out a year typically?

The new rule, NCAA Bylaw 14.5.5.3, states that “a transfer student from a four-year institution, who has received a waiver of or exception to the transfer residence requirement (per Bylaw 14.5.5.2), is not eligible to compete at the certifying institution during the segment that concludes with the NCAA championship if the student-athlete has competed during that segment of the same academic year in that sport at the previous four-year institution.”

In other words, if a player transfers to another school during the season, fall or spring, that player must sit out until the following season. In the past, many golfers were able to transfer in the fall and play in the spring because of the NCAA recognized the fall and spring as two separate seasons. (A few years ago, Spencer Soosman transferred from UCLA to Texas halfway through his freshman year and competed in eight spring events for the Longhorns.)