KZG Drivers? Tech or no tech

bscramer11

I’m in the market to replace my driver. I currently play an M6 with a Fujikura tour spec speeder that I’ve had for years. For whatever reason it just does not agree with me. The shaft is probably a bit too low launching For where I am now and I’m losing on free yardage and control

here is where I get confused. I hit a KZG GFX at my local builder and I was getting way better numbers from ball speed to launch to spin.

I asked the guy why he thought I was hitting it so much better and he replied with he believes KZG build a more precise product and you get what you want versus the large big box companies where unless you get a tour issue club the Quality Control might be off. It amazes me that a KZG club that was released years ago versus the new twist face “technology” Produced significantly better numbers

I am hesitant to pull the trigger because it seems like there must be some new technology somewhere. Are The big companies really just producing golf clubs that are marketing tactics and not actually better technology? What are your thoughts?

Particular club you tried simply fit your delivery better than other option in comparison, irregardless of manufacturer. For “fitter” not to state that first speaks volumes. ?Amazing that a guy selling KZG product would claim it to be more precisely measured ? All that being stated, KZG has produced some very good product in the past, mostly being known for older models of their forgings being done by Kyoei (sp?). Now the redeeming qualities of the president of company, those are greatly lacking and not a secret to many here.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Did you hit it outdoors and see actual ball flight and dispersion?

3 times I have been fitted in my career and 3 times I have bought the driver that gave me "the best numbers" and 3 times I hD drivers nat I hit all over the place.

Sims are fine, but real world playing is not simulator.

I have no experience with that particular driver, but I have had KZG products in the past and found them to mKs a quality product. If you like it and ir enhanxes.hour enjoyment of the game...play it.

I gamed a Blade X400 for years and endured ridicule for it, but I hif the daylights out of it. Use what works

• Thanks 1

He did tell me that for whatever the reason whether it be weight or bend point that I hit the KZG sweet spot better and more consistent.....i was leaving that part out haha. He told me to hit all the drivers on the market but know that Quality control is not as good at the huge companies. Having worked in a golf store when I was younger I already knew this. I don't know much else about the comany other than their shafts seem to be held to very high standards and won't ship unless it is correct.

Play what you hit the best brother. It seems like you've found something that has improved your game. You can spend years and thousands of $$ chasing new tech and never be satisfied.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I am looking into the KZG driver heads.  Does anyone know the face angle of their drivers?  I see many SP700 heads sale on eBay for only $20 new, but I do not want a shut face.  I am looking for a 10.5 with a square face.

You realize these are 355cc heads? 

10 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Yes, and of all the drivers I have, my best driver is a Titleist 983K, which is about the same size.  I just contacted the seller and he had the spec sheet.  The driver has a face angle of 0.5 degrees open, so I will order one.

KZG SP700 is a sensational driver head, very pleasing impact sound-feel.

11 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Yes, and of all the drivers I have, my best driver is a Titleist 983K, which is about the same size.  I just contacted the seller and he had the spec sheet.  The driver has a face angle of 0.5 degrees open, so I will order one.

Have witnessed quite a few of these to cave and personally not a fan of their customer service, or lack there of, however- guess for price, some may consider that worth a flyer 🤷‍♂️ 

I actually played the KZG RBT 325 with Apache “orange crush” 65n way back in day, so not totally opposed to idea of KZG, as long as buyer knows what potential issues getting into from start dealing with company. 

Edited by Mitchell

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

1 minute ago, Mitchell said:

Have witnessed quite a few of these to cave and personally not a fan of their customer service, or lack there of, however- guess for price, some may consider that worth a flyer 🤷‍♂️ 

The original KZG Gemini is the only KZG model driver I've heard of that had any face caving issues .

The SP700 model is a 355CC  head, which was a size that the industry quickly moved thru to larger sizes, so the SP700 (like other brands drivers of that 350CC to 360CC head size) only had a year of retail shelf space. But for quality and performance the SP700 is a sensational driver head.

2 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

The original KZG Gemini is the only KZG model driver I've heard of that had any face caving issues .

The SP700 model is a 355CC  head, which was a size that the industry quickly moved thru to larger sizes, so the SP700 (like other brands drivers of that 350CC to 360CC head size) only had a year of retail shelf space. But for quality and performance the SP700 is a sensational driver head.

Caved two myself and one of my friends caved one , guess we were just the outliers. 

• Like 1

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

Caved two myself and one of my friends caved one , guess we were just the outliers. 

Dude, you must have a very high swing speed!  My swing speed tops at about 100 mph, so I am hoping this face will not cave in.  Also, I guess that off-center hits cause faces to cave in?  I tend to find somewhere around the middle of the face, plus or minus up to a half inch.

In all my years of encountering equipment, I have seen a few cave-ins, but not the face.  Maybe a depression on the toe or other part of the head.  I have a Nike Sasquatch driver that caved in near the toe on the top of crown; it looks like a tiny dimple which you will not notice unless you look for it.   Another one I saw was so weird I had to take a picture of it: the club caved in on the back center of the head.  It is funny how off-center hits can do funny things to a driver head.  The only driver face I ever saw that damaged was an Orlimar HipTi; the guy used it for a couple years and a diamond-shaped piece of the face actually chipped off and you can see the inside of the head.  He used it for a few rounds before finally getting a new driver.

Club Damage Back Cave In 2 051612.jpg

Edited by EmperorPenguin