2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mike Davis Stepping down end of 2021

QuigleyDU

Davis seems like the typical leader in many organizations these days. Tell people when you start what your main goals are then spend your time at the top not achieving any of them. In the mean time you find a way to get rich while you are there so you can enjoy the real purpose of your time at the top- money.

• Like 1

I guess Mike Davis didn't look at the fact that technology has helped players overcome his desire to have the winner of the US Open shoot four straight rounds of 80.  Players overcame the hardness of the green by hitting shots that come in from the stratosphere and drop straight down.  That's why there are different types of shafts.  Some help a player spin the ball and high it really high.  Bryson hits a driver that has less loft than some putters and he is hitting 150' or more in the air.  Fitting technology is far from what it was in the late 90s early 2000s and that has helped players adapt to conditions. 

I don't see other sports trying to limit how fast a running back or wide receiver can run.  Limiting how fast a pitcher can throw the ball or spin the ball isn't happening.  Why is golf the sport where we hear the most complaints about technology helping participants? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Golf10 said:

Ball should have been rolled back years ago.  I don't think pro baseball players should have 8" diameter aluminum bats either.  I know, becoming a fogey.

Why?  The solid core, multi layer ball has been around for ages.  Heck, when Titleist was still producing a wound ball, Maxfli had a solid core ball that was played on tour.  Spalding made the Tour Edition and Top Flite made the Z-Balata. 

How do we know that the dimple pattern isn't more effective and efficient over previous years? 

I swing close to the same speed that I did when I was in high school.  The ball is going the same distance, unless I change elevations.

Bryson is swinging over 120+mph.  The ball isn't helping him that much.  Kyle Berkshire is swinging in the high 140s and hitting it over 400y.  It isn't the ball.

11 hours ago, 1mcozik said:

1975?! You’re insane, it needs to be rolled back to 1 B.C. so the game can go back to its real roots of sticks and stones.

Didn’t they used to use sheep’s testicles filled with rocks as a golf ball way back in the day?  Someone might need to fact check me on that.  

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

21 minutes ago, jimbonecrusher said:

Why?  The solid core, multi layer ball has been around for ages.  Heck, when Titleist was still producing a wound ball, Maxfli had a solid core ball that was played on tour.  Spalding made the Tour Edition and Top Flite made the Z-Balata. 

How do we know that the dimple pattern isn't more effective and efficient over previous years? 

I swing close to the same speed that I did when I was in high school.  The ball is going the same distance, unless I change elevations.

Bryson is swinging over 120+mph.  The ball isn't helping him that much.  Kyle Berkshire is swinging in the high 140s and hitting it over 400y.  It isn't the ball.

Agree to disagree.  It's all good brother.

6 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I thought that's what they ate.  Maybe it wasn't rocks?

I’ll be the first to admit my prowess as a golf historian would out me at about a 38 handicap.  

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

30 minutes ago, jimbonecrusher said:

I guess Mike Davis didn't look at the fact that technology has helped players overcome his desire to have the winner of the US Open shoot four straight rounds of 80.  Players overcame the hardness of the green by hitting shots that come in from the stratosphere and drop straight down.  That's why there are different types of shafts.  Some help a player spin the ball and high it really high.  Bryson hits a driver that has less loft than some putters and he is hitting 150' or more in the air.  Fitting technology is far from what it was in the late 90s early 2000s and that has helped players adapt to conditions. 

I don't see other sports trying to limit how fast a running back or wide receiver can run.  Limiting how fast a pitcher can throw the ball or spin the ball isn't happening.  Why is golf the sport where we hear the most complaints about technology helping participants? 

Technology is helping participants in sailing much more than in golf.  But at this point, open water for a sailing regatta is much easier to come by than more land for existing golf courses.  The fact is, technology has changed golf to a great extent in the past 30 years - much more than most of the sports to people pay attention to.  Because of players speed, maybe football fields and hockey rinks should be bigger.  I'm not an expert.  But golf courses do not play the same way that they did in 1990.  Fact.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I find him to be an arrogant, insufferable dolt.  As mentioned previously the stage has been set for him to announce the culmination of his dream (stunt golf performance) and then exit the ensuing maelstrom.  I find it quite dispicable that he never saw fit to address inequity in the game with the same vigor he attacks excellence in it.  Didsdain for Davis is probably the ONLY thing I agree with Hank Haney about.

Edited by Outlier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbonecrusher said:

My politically incorrect (but I believe accurate) answer is that this sport more than most any other is one of the last bastians of utter control by older "European" men.  They  generally want the status quo, cause that's when they had ALL the advantages in everything...ie "it was great"....as soon as younger, or females, or non-"Europeans" start to change the record books or rethink how to successfully compete, the "status quo" is horrible and we need to "make things great again".  

Did Bobby Jones ever lobby to have Jack's equipment "rolled back"?   I know he's a diety and all, but when Jack went with the extra wide spacing between tines on his bunker rakes- it was NOT his finest moment, neither is his post retirement assault on the golf ball.

Edited by Outlier