2 WRX'ers need help, me more than him!

markheardjr

Problem with USPS shipping
OK, so I sold 2 y-cutters to tickyboy a month ago. He paid, I shipped, he hasn't received them yet. He lives in Canada, ok, ok, ok, I know Canada is bad to ship to, but I never had problems before. So I ship them, USPS, ask for tracking, they give me a number that doesn't track but confirms shipping. So no wedges and now Tickyboy has filed a complaint on me with paypal and has frozen my account just when I was going to sell some equipment off to do some holiday shopping. On top of all of this he asked me to lower the value price so he would pay less import fees. What the hell are we/me supposed to do??? I don't have $200 to give him, and I sent the wedges anyways, have proof, I don't think he doubts I sent them, probably had to file a complaint before time lapsed. Any info or tips would help!

Thanks in advance,

Mark Heard

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one, but I have to say that you did your part as seller/shipper. If you purchased insurance you can file a claim with the USPS to recoup the buyer's money. I'm not even sure you can purchase insurance for an item going to Canada or anywhere else outside the U.S.????

I hate to say it, but this is a perfect example of why sellers are hesitant to deal outside the U.S.

I ship to Canada about 4 times a month. Sometimes customs can hold items longer than you think. I shipped a JL belt to someone and it took just over a month. About 1 month into it the buyer filed a complaint with paypal. I swear the very next day he received the JL belt and he dropped the complaint. I bet you he will get the wedges in the next couple of days. Canadians have to pay duty and sometimes customs is a b**** to deal with. I don't know what you can do because you have no real tracking numbers.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

I did mail a package to Tickyboy a year ago and damned fruckin' Canadian post did not deliver them to him until about a month later. Having mailed to around 10-15 different countries with no problems so far but yet our neighbor, Canada is the only country that I often have trouble getting my items delivered on time.

That is one thing that I do not like, having someone ask me to lower the value of the items being sent so in this case, I have my own opinion of what I believe in but will let you two guys work it out. But come on, to freeze Mark's paypal account even though you know that wedges has been sent is a really low blow in my book, sorry but it's my honest opinion.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

exactly why I only like to do conus...

rare occasions I dont.. paypal from confirmed address only.. no lowering for customs and use express(registered) mail (USPS) were they have to SIGN for it.

-J

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I would agree, wait another week or so and then file a claim with the post office. It once took 5 weeks from NY to Quebec :)

Unfortunately lowering the value is bad. Usually I explain that I will do it at the buyers request but if the item is lost, stolen or damaged then it will be his loss :cheesy:

72748[/snapback]

that dont work... trust me.. I sold a center channel speaker to a guy in canada before and got screwed bigtime...

I would agree, wait another week or so and then file a claim with the post office. It once took 5 weeks from NY to Quebec :)

Unfortunately lowering the value is bad. Usually I explain that I will do it at the buyers request but if the item is lost, stolen or damaged then it will be his loss :cheesy:

72748[/snapback]

that dont work... trust me.. I sold a center channel speaker to a guy in canada before and got screwed bigtime...

72753[/snapback]

Did you insure it?

72748[/snapback]

72753[/snapback]

Did you insure it?

72755[/snapback]

I did but I was trying to do the guy a favor...under insured because they wouldn't let me insure it for more then stated custom's value.. guy stole all the speakers from the inside..scratched the box and sent it back to me..paypal sided with him.. SO ONLY CONUS for me. :cheesy:

I have shipped to Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, UK, Germany, France, and Canada before and never had this kind of a problem. The post office said november/december is the worst. I sent paypal the confirmation number and they unfroze my account but still shows a negative $-210 balance. I am afraid to sell anything cause if i receive payment for new sales they will take it away from me and then I'd be out $400 instead of $200! Guess the Canucks are gonna lose another supplier.

I hope things work out for you. I'm a little surprised that Canadian customs is that big a problem. I've been fortunate in all my shipping (mostly to and from Japan). The only thing I've ever had problems with are beef products--damned mad cows! :)

I wish tickyboy would have commented in this thread--he was reading it a couple hours ago.

beruo

:hi:

Hi Mark

I'm a Cdn and have bought many things with no problems. I think the thing for most canadians to realize is that, it takes a while for anything that is shipped from the US or elsewhere. All shipments to me from the US, I have them ship USPS Air Mail. It takes a least 2 weeks before I receive and when it arrives it usually perfect. Just takes a lot of time. I also find that its the cheapest and actually best mode of shipping into canada. Yes most Canadians will ask that you help them out as well on valuations due to duty charges. Anything above 40.00 or 60.00 if its a gift is subject to duty charges. Most are happy to comply others are not. Only do this if you are willing to help but make sure that if anything is broken or otherwise the buyer knows that he is responsible.

Hope this incident doesn't put you off with dealing with us canadians . We love golf as much as you and the deals are better in the US as far as prices are concerned. Best of luck and hope all gets resolved.

OK, so I sold 2 y-cutters to tickyboy a month ago.  He paid, I shipped, he hasn't received them yet.  He lives in Canada, ok, ok, ok, I know Canada is bad to ship to, but I never had problems before.  So I ship them, USPS, ask for tracking, they give me a number that doesn't track but confirms shipping.  So no wedges and now Tickyboy has filed a complaint on me with paypal and has frozen my account just when I was going to sell some equipment off to do some holiday shopping.  On top of all of this he asked me to lower the value price so he would pay less import fees.  What the hell are we/me supposed to do???  I don't have $200 to give him, and I sent the wedges anyways, have proof, I don't think he doubts I sent them, probably had to file a complaint before time lapsed.  Any info or tips would help!

Thanks in advance,

Mark Heard

72605[/snapback]

As another "freakin left handed Canadian" (who is right handed), I have to admit that I have had shippers ask if they should mark as a gift. I tell them as much as I would like it, that to protect them and myself, to show the true value, insure it (as I understand it gifts cna't be insured?).

I have never had a problem getting my items, but I do know for some reason, I could get and item from Japan, faster than I can get an item from US. I do know that supposedly Canada Post has centralized into Vancouver for Western Canada, and Toronto? for Eastern Canada. When they did, they didn't staff properly and pakcages packed up. I think that is dealt with now, but certainly this time of year will be worse.

Exactly the reason why I don't accept PayPal from buyers (and they can have the best board rep) where I'm not protected under Seller Protection. Nobody can control what happens in shipping which has caused this dilema, especially when using the USPS and shipping out of country. The seller did everying right and the buyer is just protecting himself. Both are victims of a third party.

Hell, I don't even like accepting PayPal period but its a necessary evil and I won't even get into the BS of sellers requiring buyers to add 3% when thats more (even though slightly) than the actual fees.

Hopefully, the items will arrive shortly and the PayPal dispute will be dropped. I also wouldn't lower the declared value for customs if I accepted PayPal, you are taking all risk if something goes bad and an insurance claim has to be filed.

My philosophy is simple, I want cash in my hand before I ship or its no sale. If a buyer wants it, go to the post office and send a international money order or send me cash via Western Union. From what I've been told from a Canadian buyer, they can insure the money order. Also, if you want the item that bad where you have to go out of country, spend the $$$$ and use Fedex, the buyer will have it in 2 days.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

I don't ship very often to Canada. But when I do I only UPS. I make sure that the buyer is aware of the costs and the duties. The benifit I see is you get a tracking number that works (unlike USPS) and the package is there is 4-6 days typically ( I realize there are times where this is not the case.) If you mark the item as a gift, make sure the buyer knows that he is on his own if it gets damaged. Everytime I have said this, the buyer always decides to have it insured.

Just my $.02

Matt

Just a tip for Canadians getting packages from the US via USPS, request the seller to use USPS Global Express Mail service, which is usually a 3-5 day service it is more reliable, also trackable. Yeah, it costs a bit more but the speed of service is worth it, just pay the seller the extra amount, the rates are weight based. I have received many packages from the US this way with zero problems, hell, I got a package delivered by USPS Global Express Mail from Hawaii in 3 business days!

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

OK, so I sold 2 y-cutters to tickyboy a month ago. He paid, I shipped, he hasn't received them yet. He lives in Canada, ok, ok, ok, I know Canada is bad to ship to, but I never had problems before. So I ship them, USPS, ask for tracking, they give me a number that doesn't track but confirms shipping. So no wedges and now Tickyboy has filed a complaint on me with paypal and has frozen my account just when I was going to sell some equipment off to do some holiday shopping. On top of all of this he asked me to lower the value price so he would pay less import fees. What the hell are we/me supposed to do??? I don't have $200 to give him, and I sent the wedges anyways, have proof, I don't think he doubts I sent them, probably had to file a complaint before time lapsed. Any info or tips would help!

Thanks in advance,

Mark Heard

the last time i sent a package to canada it took a total of 8 weeks. the distance was only 200 miles. i tracked the package and found it was not sent priority air (what i paid for) but was sent ground economy. i filed a claim and was told the package was in canada customs for seven weeks before it was delivered and received no compensation. i will not ship outside the us anymore.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

That's a tough one, but I have to say that you did your part as seller/shipper. If you purchased insurance you can file a claim with the USPS to recoup the buyer's money. I'm not even sure you can purchase insurance for an item going to Canada or anywhere else outside the U.S.????

I hate to say it, but this is a perfect example of why sellers are hesitant to deal outside the U.S.

Actually, this is a question I've had for a while. If you order something from a catalog like golfsmith and you don't receive the product, would you accept an answer from them of "we did our part by shipping it"? No, of course not. It's their responsibility to get the product to you. If you don't receive it, it's their responsibility to make it right. It's the same for you as a seller in my mind.

As a result, I've never understood the whole ebay and board selling "optional" insurance. Insurance is not optional if I'm the seller because ultimately I'm responsible for getting the item to you! For the same reason I'll never under insure. Paypal WILL see it this way too and will side with the buyer in situations where the product is not received even if they didn't buy the "optional" insurance.

Bottom line, I think sellers need to start changing their mind-set a bit and include full insurance in anything they sell because at the end of the day, they will be held responsible no matter what they write in an auction or sales listing.

Actually, this is a question I've had for a while. If you order something from a catalog like golfsmith and you don't receive the product, would you accept an answer from them of "we did our part by shipping it"? No, of course not. It's their responsibility to get the product to you. If you don't receive it, it's their responsibility to make it right. It's the same for you as a seller in my mind.

As a result, I've never understood the whole ebay and board selling "optional" insurance. Insurance is not optional if I'm the seller because ultimately I'm responsible for getting the item to you! For the same reason I'll never under insure. Paypal WILL see it this way too and will side with the buyer in situations where the product is not received even if they didn't buy the "optional" insurance.

Bottom line, I think sellers need to start changing their mind-set a bit and include full insurance in anything they sell because at the end of the day, they will be held responsible no matter what they write in an auction or sales listing.

I agree 100% with the insurance requirement, but you'd be surprised (amazed actually) at the number of buyers who don't want insurance. I recently sold 2 pull out shafts on eBay and charged insurance for $150 coverage. The buyer emails me after I shipped the items and wrote that if he ever bought from me again, he didn't want insurance because "it is a waste of my money." So, you have buyers who are not willing to pay $3 or $4 to insure an item, but if it gets lost or damaged, they want you (seller) to refund their money.

The easy solution is to REQUIRE insurance when you are selling.

I'm not sure its really very fair to stick the seller with the insurance portion of the cost. I believe that the most amiable way to do this is to give the option to the buyer. The buyer should be well aware of any risks involved when purchasing anything let alone golf clubs. Lots of sellers don't want to ship to Canada because of the time lengths and customs hassles but you should be aware that this extraordinary precaution is probably a good thing to paraphrase Martha. Communication is always key in conducting any transaction outside of your own country. Eitherr way both seller and buyer beware. They are always horror stories that go BOTH ways.

I agree 100% with the insurance requirement, but you'd be surprised (amazed actually) at the number of buyers who don't want insurance. I recently sold 2 pull out shafts on eBay and charged insurance for $150 coverage. The buyer emails me after I shipped the items and wrote that if he ever bought from me again, he didn't want insurance because "it is a waste of my money." So, you have buyers who are not willing to pay $3 or $4 to insure an item, but if it gets lost or damaged, they want you (seller) to refund their money.

The easy solution is to REQUIRE insurance when you are selling.

WEDGES ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!! Finally, they got there. Tickyboy cancelled the complaint and all is well. But I will definelty ship insured and no lowering the value anymore!!!

Thanks for all the advice and help!!!

I think the problem was in USPS/Canadapost.... from California I've only had major delays ie a month, but the eastern part of the US is fine ~1 week. I think it has to do with where the post office sends the stuff for customs...I believe it was out in Vancouver when the closer border crossing for me is in Toronto. Anyway, glad they arrived. I had no doubts about the dealings with Mark, and would buy from again....except my bag is set!

SIM

STG 

FliHi 

243 4-PW

T22 56, 60

Phantom X 12.5

went out Nov 3rd, arrived Dec. 6th or 7th???