Garmin S62 Thread

Since this got bumped, has anyone noticed after a recent update, that the Garmin Golf app doesn't close out/save the round on the phone once you've saved/finished the round with the watch? It shows/syncs the data eventually, but yeah. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, only back playing golf about a year out so after a long time out. 

When I realised that all course guides were gone online now I got the Hole 19 app on my phone and a cheap Garmin S10.

Now that I'm back playing properly I'm going to get an S62 but was wondering if there was a newer model in the pipeline? 

And even if there was would I still be happy with an S62 and not be envious of a new model? 

Edited by GregNormans1Iron

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2022 at 6:42 AM, kidthunder said:

I have had mine for 6 months and love it. My main reason for purchasing was for a golf trip to get quick distances and to avoid pulling out a range finder every shot or every other shot and slowing everything up. I was worried about the accuracy of the measurements so took it to some local courses and used it with a range finder for a couple rounds. I don't know what Garmin states the accuracy is supposed to be, but when I was testing I didn't have any major issues with wrong distances (that I couldn't attribute to my errors/newness to the watch). 

Is it a good value? In reality the smart purchase is probably the s42 in terms of "usefulness of features" per dollar spent. The virtual caddie is kind of hit or miss for me (on a humorous note when I am having a really round or consecutive rounds with the driver I tend to find it somewhat amusing when the virtual caddie starts telling me to hit 4 iron off the tee), most of us tend to know what club we are going to use and I tend to trust myself more than the watches calculations when I choose a different club than what is "suggested." I've also had some really bizarre suggestions from the program (i.e suggesting a 6 iron for a shot that I would hit a 9 iron or PW - in full disclosure this may be my fault or a function of the program averaging my really really bad shots with average/good or an error I've made when inputting data during rounds).

I do like the fact that it has a longer battery life and I do love the s62. I ultimately chose it over the s42 because I wanted to splurge and get the watch packed with the most features (even though I don't use them all). I don't regret it at all though and have really loved the watch.

Im in a similar situation. Debating 42v62 (the 60 seemed horrible from reviews) and man....$500 is a lot of money to spend on a watch lol. I currently have the s20 and like it, it does what I need it to do which means just a quick glance down for the distance to pick the correct club but now I want to upgrade for this coming season. I wanted improved battery over the s20, be able to know the distance to hazards, dog legs and have a better activity tracker/smart watch to wear every day since if its $500, why not 

However, there are features as you mentioned that I dont know if I would ever use that you pay the extra money for. Virtual Caddy is being one of them. Simply because the first time I go with that things suggestion and launch the ball 20 yards over the green into the trees Im going to lose my mind haha

Is there anything else besides battery life/caddy that the s62 does that you know the s42 doesnt that you would deem a 'must have'?

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin is at the PGA Show.....any news on an update to the S62?

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

• 1 month later...

Had a spate of errors recently on mine. I have the green contours, and during the round, it kept showing the "green contours are available" with the download button. I should only have to press it once, but it kept telling me. 

That said, there as a new update that I just installed, so maybe it takes care of that.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, absoludicrous said:

Anyone replace their band yet? The notch that I use finally cracked through and I have a new band from Amazon coming to replace it for $19.99 for 2 bands rather than $49.99 for 1 from Garmin. 

I've used amazon bands for both my s60 and my fenix.  I actually like them better than the stock bands from Garmin.

• Like 1

I have a 42 which I really like. After 2y I had to disable the sleep tracking etc because the battery life was declining. After another year, battery is still fine (with that unnecessary stuff off).  I wear it daily but make sure its 70+% before I go play 18 and no worries then. Even 60 works but beyond that it gets questionable.

My main gripe continues to be Garmin connect and its insistence on showing "historical shots" on a hole in colors that color blind people cannot see.

My new bands came in from Amazon. I got the two pack for $18. It’s some knock off brand named ANCOOL, but it seems to be fine. We’ll see how long it lasts. I got the 2 pack for $18 because one was $14. The slate color isn’t my favorite, but I’ll use it for now and eventually switch to the black. I read some reviews on Amazon from the various aftermarket bands that sometimes fall off. Hopefully the QuickFit latch stays tight as I put more wear on it over time.

• 5 months later...

After each hole the watch asks for score, putts and penalties. I have not been able to find a report that shows number of penalties in a round. And for my historical club distances, for my driver is gives me my average drive with is fine. But for my longest drive I have a 431 drive! Any I idea where I can find that so I can delete it?

On 9/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Emmitsburg said:

After each hole the watch asks for score, putts and penalties. I have not been able to find a report that shows number of penalties in a round. And for my historical club distances, for my driver is gives me my average drive with is fine. But for my longest drive I have a 431 drive! Any I idea where I can find that so I can delete it?

https://connect.garmin.com