Garmin S62 Thread

I purchased the Garmin Approach S62. I took it on the course today and the yardages would not update. I turned it off and turned it on again. It gave me the yardage off the tee and then got stuck. It would not advance to the next hole. I called customer support and the only thing they could do was tell me to reset the watch. They told me a few others had complained about a similar issue and that there was no fix at this time.

Edited by GwrxMod

When the x40 first came out, there was a bug with it as well. It wasn't as serious and only affected the shot detection capabilities but the good news was that it only took them about a month or two to get a fix out. In general I do like Garmin products but I think they don't really do enough testing for new products as they should. I find it best to hold off on new products until they have time to work out the kinks.

Hello everyone,
Luke here from Garmin's Outdoor SW Quality team. Wanted to let you know that the GPS issues @Aggielefty described have been completely resolved as of this morning. So if you have a S62 or are contemplating buying one, it's important to update it with Garmin Express as soon as possible to grab the 2.80 GPS update before your next round of golf.
Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions!
Luke
Garmin Outdoor SW Quality Team

It's the (PC) software that's used to update the device, including course updates as well as the firmware update. Also for uploading data collected from the watch (scores, round stats, fitness data, etc...) and control many of the smart watch features, like loading different apps and watch faces. Most of it is explained in the documentation that comes with the watch if you choose to get any of the Garmin devices.https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an S62 since the day they were announced at the PGA Merch show. I've tried most of the gps watches out there.

I think the S62 is the best they've made.

Not only has been very accurate for golf, I use it for all of my daily activities (aerobics, weights, walking, running, skiing, swimming).

I had one small glitch that was resolved with a restart.

I'd highly recommend this watch and I have absolutely no affiliation with Garmin nor receive any compensation on the S62. No financial interest at all.

What they do need to fix is their online software for editing/reviewing rounds. It is terrible. I hope Garmin has plans to update their software. Maybe purchase GameGolf?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, I have an S60 and have issues with the app and phone syncing. Recent rounds, the golf app on my phone wouldn't show the hole during round. But post-round the shots would show on the app. I read a suggestion to start the round first on phone, then the watch before playing so I did that yesterday and that worked. See screenshots from phone, one round I can see every hole and shot. The most recent recent, I cannot (but can on PC).

BEVTO6B1WNM6.png

WNZA8ASJ6O3Y.pngI could see the hole layout but it wouldn't keep score on phone or advance holes even though the phone and watch were connected. Now even though the scorecard is reflected on the app, the hole by hole detail which shows below my other scorecards that includes each hole's score, you click a hole to then see the course map with each shot and distance. The hole by hole list won't populate, so no seeing each hole and shot with distance on app. It seems my choices are play without using the app and review the round afterward or use the app during the round but have no post-round review of each hole detail (shots and distance). First world problems but this shouldn't be so wonky. 

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

Steelhead the S60 has the slope function unless I'm misunderstanding your post. If you are on the course and see the hole preview with yardages on the left you simply tap the yardages on the left and you will see the numbers change and see an up or a down arrow showing uphill or downhill. IF you don't see that there may be a setting that you can change to turn off tournament mode.

• Like 1

I had a Fenix 5 as my everyday watch. It was a great everyday watch. I used it for workouts, runs, walks, etc. I used it for golf as well. I switched to an Apple Watch for over a year but really missed the golf aspect. Nothing on the AW can come close to Garmin GPS. I always wanted to go back but the S60 just did not get me all the aspects I was looking for. The S62 makes it all up in spades. It does everything my Fenix did on the activity/workout side plus adds the best golf functioning watch I have every tried. If you use the watch to keep score and club selection, it is amazing. It has learned my game very well. I never really thought I would use all the stats but now I find myself checking those. The "plays like" slope function is very accurate as it uses wind numbers as well as the gradient. I have checked it against my buddies lasers with slope and I am finding it very accurate. I am all in with mine and actually sold my Bushnell to fund a portion of it. Not looking back. FYI, if you search you can find coupons for the S62 to get it down another $100 if you order straight from Garmin. I

How is the standby battery? My favorite thing about using my S20 daily is the fact that it needs like one charge a month if you aren't golfing.... aka I only charge it after golf. Can the S62 make it a week?

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I briefly had the S60 and really liked it, but found the fitness side of it to be not so great. I have the Forerunner 245 now and absolutely love it. You do have to stay on top of the software updates to make sure GPS is good-to-go, assume that's the same with all of the watches. It's pretty simple to do though, even has an 'auto' feature.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I can understand that the S60 was underwhelming when it came to training, that's a big reason why I decided to pay the extra money for the S62 vs a pre owned S60 (that and the battery time).

With the added heart rate monitor on the S62 it has most of the functions I need for exercising, the only thing I can come up with that is missing for me personally is VO2 max and perhaps the Pulse Ox sleep mode. But in the end it's all up to you what you prioritize, my main goal was a golf watch with training functions, if you are the other way around a Vivoactive 4 or Fenix 6 is probably a better choice.

S62 wasn't out at the time. Heart rate is the big difference for S60 vs 245. VO2 max is worthless on the watches, it's a total guesstimate. 245 is also slimmer and more comfortable, and I also don't love wearing a watch when playing golf. Liking the bushnell phantom for golf a lot.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Update for everyone concerned about battery. Its Thursday and I sit at 54% remaining battery life. I charged the watch fully Saturday night and put it on Sunday morning at 100%. Since then I have completed:

-3 workouts with no GPS

-1 run with GPS

-2 full rounds of golf with GPS (of course)

I do not sleep in the watch so not sure how much I am saving but the watch does stay on during the night. I know I could easily get 3-4 rounds out of the watch with a normal full week without charging. Going to deplete it down under 10% before charging again and see how much I can get.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Garmin S62 Thread