Garmin S62 Thread

1 hour ago, AcesAndHoles said:

No arguments here. But when you play the "Caddie" and take a look at the greens view the watch will actually suggest where you should be aiming. For those that are learning and rely on the caddie feature it's a gem. 

Ahh... most all rounds I play I have to have that disabled. Any round used for handicap purposes, shouldn't be using it.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

4 hours ago, Imp said:

Ahh... most all rounds I play I have to have that disabled. Any round used for handicap purposes, shouldn't be using it.

One day... one day... 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a link to a video on S62 full tutorial?  

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

If you just want front/middle/back to green, then the S62 is NOT for you. 

Does the voice caddie tell you front/back distances to bunkers? 200/150/100 distances? Penalty areas? Show you a visual hole layout with bunkers, penalty areas, fairway gaps? Heart rate? Pulse ox? Record scoring and club used? Can you bring the voice caddy with you all day and night long to parties, shows, movies? Biking? Running? Preview text messages? Control other bluetooth media? Golf is only a small portion of what the S62 does, but... it does it superbly. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I find the notification features on the S62 to be sporadic at best.  If you've just restarted everything, watch, phone, etc...then notifications will show up normally.  But over time, then they stop coming through and you don't notice until later you realize you haven't been getting them.  I don't know if that's actually on the S62 end, or more of a problem with Android specifically.  Hard to say.  Then again, getting notifications from my phone on my watch while I play is pretty far down on the priority list for me.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone post pics of the watch in the non golf look? thx

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

23 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

can anyone post pics of the watch in the non golf look? thx

Ummm... There are thousands of faces one can load on to it. So... no one person will show the same thing.  😉

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/best-garmin-watch-faces-to-download-7227

Also, you can go to google image search and type in garmin s62 watch face.

If that doesn't answer your question or what you're looking for, I'm not sure what you're asking...

Edited by Imp

exactly what i was looking for, didnt realize there were so many options. Thx for sharing

10 hours ago, 968cab said:

I see a few posts referencing post round edits on a website…can somebody point me to that, please?

I have the golf app on my phone, but can’t find anything on my laptop other than the Garmin sales site

Thanks! 

All the online stuff is done through https://connect.garmin.com/ for desktops.   There is also an app but don't know if it has the same capabilities (I don't use it).

but think you'll need an account and actually have data for a round of golf in that account before you can see what it looks like.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

There's a couple ways to edit your round and the easiest is using the App on the phone. 

1) Garmin Golf App - Takes the data from your watch and Garmin Connect app and ports it to the Golf App once the round is over and the data synched. To edit a round/hole...

Open the app

Select the menu (Burger - top left)

Select 'scorecards' 

Select the round you want to edit from the list

Press the three dots in the upper right.

Select 'edit'.

Go to the hole you want to edit by swiping left/right and down the bottom you'll see your score.

If you just want to edit your score, press the +/- buttons.

If you want to edit Fairway or Putts, press the three dots to the right of the score.

When done, press the three dots in the upper right again and select "Done Editing"

2) Garmin connect can show you a cool dashboard of stats.

Go to the URL: https://connect.garmin.com/modern

Select 'Golf' from the left menu.

Select 'scorecards' 

Select the round you want to edit from the list.

Select the score for the hole/stats you want to edit).

Press "Edit/Add shots" un the upper right of the details portion of the screen (under your card)

(This is where it gets a little more involved)

You can click on the map and drop a pin to add a club/shot to the map.

Under "shots" on the right side, it will list "unknown".
Click the three dots to the right to select Edit/Mark OB/Delete.

If you edit the shot, you will select the club. 
You can also reorder the shots on the right using the pull handles (6 dots) to the left of the shot number.

One of the coolest things about looking at your stats online, is you can see your HISTORICAL shot data. Just go to the hole, turn on "Historical shots" and see your misses (and good shots). 

I find more help in that than anything else. 

Screenshot 2021-06-30 080419.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing good about the Garmin App over the website is that you can add additional information into each shot like: Lie Type and End Result like lost ball, out of bounds, etc (in addition to club). I don't know how this information is used (like how it calculates your "recoveries" for example) but I'm assuming Garmin is aggregating this data for future features (at least I hope).

great info, thanks for the updates. Going to pick mine up tomorrow

• Like 1

Only one major criticism of the web based app,  the dashboard for the golf portion only shows last 10 rounds data, comparison, stats. It would be much, much better if one can choose a date range for almost anything, so you can look at data from all different angles (if I wanted to see just this years, or from end of April, etc...). Say you got a new set of clubs 3 months ago and want to compare before/after hits/misses on your home/frequently played course, or something as simple as you played a few rounds with a new ball... lots of data could be culled from putting in a date range. 

I have rounds going back to 2016 on GC, and I'm a different player now, yet, they're all co-mingled as one when looking at the hole by hole shot data. Being able to select a date range would be fantastic, and shouldn't be hard, at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed they updated the Garmin Golf app (I have android). Now you can see performance and course stats in the newer format like online. And, color pic of a real course on the home screen. 🙂

--kC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Stevewlee said:

Has anyone used the S62 while in your pocket? Not a bug watch fan, want all the features but mostly the auto shot tracking. Wondering if it will work if it is in your pocket vs wrist? 

The watch uses an accelerator in it to detect when you are swinging and hitting a ball.  It's the motion of your hands an arm that it's programed to look for.   I would not expect that aspect to work in your pocket.

• 8 months later...

Never had the S60, so can't compare. I got a full set of the CT10 trackers for all my clubs and synching with the S62 is awesome, but eats up a bit more battery life than just using the course info. 18 holes GPS used to use about 10% per round. With CT10s, about 25% per round.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2022 at 2:54 AM, Cactus Jack said:

Has Garmin introduced a “set pin” type feature yet? Shot Scope has a button tap, same with Arccos when using their link. 

They've had it for years?

Viewing the Green While playing a round, you can take a closer look at the green and move the pin to get a more precise distance measurement. 1 Press the action button. 2 Select View Green. 3 Tap or drag  to move the pin location. The distances on the hole view screen are updated to reflect the new pin location. The pin location is saved for only the current round

• Like 1

Yes, you can move the pin location on the Garmin watch to get a better estimate on distance to the pin when you have an approach shot. It is only kept for that round like the previous post said.

Changing that pin location is not used in any performance data calculations by Garmin.

Shotscope is kind of the opposite. No chance to mark the pin location until you are on the green. The purpose is to mark location and use that for performance data calculations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CFAnPEI said:

Yes, you can move the pin location on the Garmin watch to get a better estimate on distance to the pin when you have an approach shot. It is only kept for that round like the previous post said.

Changing that pin location is not used in any performance data calculations by Garmin.

Shotscope is kind of the opposite. No chance to mark the pin location until you are on the green. The purpose is to mark location and use that for performance data calculations.

Thank you! You answered the question behind my poorly written question. 

The Garmin would be the total package if it used the actual pin location for performance data. Stand next to the pin, tap the screen, and boom, strokes gained data likely become more accurate. Seems like a low-effort high return feature that could be rolled out via firmware. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, bioman said:

What's the latest feedback on these? Still as good as anything else?

Any newer ones around the corner?

I have had mine for 6 months and love it. My main reason for purchasing was for a golf trip to get quick distances and to avoid pulling out a range finder every shot or every other shot and slowing everything up. I was worried about the accuracy of the measurements so took it to some local courses and used it with a range finder for a couple rounds. I don't know what Garmin states the accuracy is supposed to be, but when I was testing I didn't have any major issues with wrong distances (that I couldn't attribute to my errors/newness to the watch). 

Is it a good value? In reality the smart purchase is probably the s42 in terms of "usefulness of features" per dollar spent. The virtual caddie is kind of hit or miss for me (on a humorous note when I am having a really round or consecutive rounds with the driver I tend to find it somewhat amusing when the virtual caddie starts telling me to hit 4 iron off the tee), most of us tend to know what club we are going to use and I tend to trust myself more than the watches calculations when I choose a different club than what is "suggested." I've also had some really bizarre suggestions from the program (i.e suggesting a 6 iron for a shot that I would hit a 9 iron or PW - in full disclosure this may be my fault or a function of the program averaging my really really bad shots with average/good or an error I've made when inputting data during rounds).

I do like the fact that it has a longer battery life and I do love the s62. I ultimately chose it over the s42 because I wanted to splurge and get the watch packed with the most features (even though I don't use them all). I don't regret it at all though and have really loved the watch.

• Like 2