College summer camps for junior golfers

Most all of the bigger programs run some sort of junior golf camp over the summer. Some even have two sessions of it. My daughter is 13 and I'm thinking about sending her to one this year, assuming COVID doesn't cancel them. I'm less concerned about how great of instruction she gets, because we have a coach for that but I do want her to get away from home with other girls and experience what a college golf program looks like as well as the campus life. I'm just curious if anyone has done the college camps with their kids and if so, what colleges have good camps?

• Like 1

Granted it's been 10+ years since I was around a camp (and that was just the one my program did), but I remember them not really being great for kids who were halfway decent players. Generally it's going to be mostly kids who are just learning to play or kids who got signed up by their parents to get them out of the house. The coaches aren't really too involved other than showing up for a short time and maybe doing a quick "pep talk" or demonstration. 

Your thought about getting her a chance to see a college campus and course/practice facilities is a good idea, but I wouldn't expect a ton of benefits outside of that especially if your daughter is an experienced golfer. Also, for what it's worth we used to only block off a very small section of our range/practice facility for them to use because we didn't want them destroying our whole area. 

Again, this was just my experience at my specific program so others may have better things to say. Not that our camp was necessarily bad, it just wasn't really set up to be anything other than a golf related summer camp for kids who were learning the game. 

Depends on where the program is.  We have done a few and if your never done one it's a great experience.  Although we did them prior to the rule change where they could talk you to a lot more about your kid and their potential interest.  

My feeling is avoid the top ranked programs your daughter will most likely get very little out it.  There usually way more expensive and have too many kids

I personally didn't like their attitudes as well since they figure they can pretty much pick who ever they want. A lot top schools are unrealistic and hope their reputation will bring them recruits. The camps there are for them to make money off of you.

Try and do a smaller regional college. Those have been great because they seem to really care about making a connection.  These schools also have a much harder time recruiting so I think they want to make a good impression on potential future recruits.

My experience though was prior to the rule change where  they made a point to talk you if they liked what they seen.  The new rules say they can't talk to younger kids so you may not get much feedback and now with Covid it may not be as good programming. But  I would think there is value if you can do something local and spend less than $500 on a 2 or 3 day camp.

Edited by tiger1873

2 minutes ago, BFD3 said:

I thought the camps were more to get kids pin front of the coaches rather than to learn anything from them (if the kid was interested in the program).

A few years ago I would have said for sure you want to get in front of the coach. But the rules changed in what seems like eternity but only 2 years ago.  

They basically can't talk to you if your not a Junior.  I am sure exposure is good but you can't have the frank conversations you used to be able to have. To me this where the value was with camps you could show up and interact with the coach and staff and talk about what it takes to get on their list.  Your not going to get an offer for a 12 year old but from conversations I had they would have no problem telling you if they liked your kid or not.

NCAA I think messed up a coach should be able to talk to younger kids 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Granted it's been 10+ years since I was around a camp (and that was just the one my program did), but I remember them not really being great for kids who were halfway decent players. Generally it's going to be mostly kids who are just learning to play or kids who got signed up by their parents to get them out of the house. The coaches aren't really too involved other than showing up for a short time and maybe doing a quick "pep talk" or demonstration. 

Your thought about getting her a chance to see a college campus and course/practice facilities is a good idea, but I wouldn't expect a ton of benefits outside of that especially if your daughter is an experienced golfer. Also, for what it's worth we used to only block off a very small section of our range/practice facility for them to use because we didn't want them destroying our whole area. 

Again, this was just my experience at my specific program so others may have better things to say. Not that our camp was necessarily bad, it just wasn't really set up to be anything other than a golf related summer camp for kids who were learning the game. 

Your description of your college's golf camp reminds me of going to University of Michigan basketball camp when I was turning 12 turning 13.  

We saw Bill Frieder (yeah, I'm that old) once per day, where he gave us a themed talk for 10-15 minutes and he would be peace-out.  He brought in Glen Rice one day to put on a shooting, post footwork and dunking demonstration and that was something I'll never forget.  What a talent he was at 20, when he was still really athletic.

Most of the camp, we were stashed away at nearby Concordia College where it was completely cleared out... where we could cause the least amount of commotion and damage.  It was fun, and a good experience going up against better players, but I'm not sure how much better it made me.  

My experience at Michigan baseball camp when I was 14 was slightly better, as we actually interacted with some of the players and coaches.  I pitched my best game of the summer after pitching instruction that week, so I guess my parents got some instant gratification for their money at that camp.

I'm not against sending my kids to a school golf camp some summer, but I would rather send them somewhere to get specialized instruction here in FL until they are well into HS I think.

• Like 2

For the most part, the camps are money makers for the coaches/colleges and to give some $$ to the players or small school coaches for serving as camp "counselors".  It gives exposure to the program and the college - not the other way around.  The HC will make a short appearance, but the Asst Coach/GA is usually the one running it.  For most of the camps I have seen, its go hit balls on the range and do random drills (film in one session so a coach/player can do way overgeneralization of swing analyses later or if it rains).  Then after lunch they may let the older kids go play while the younger ones do something non-golf related (like go play at the pool).  Then they all meet back for dinner and a movie or something like that.  With all of the new rules, the exposure comes at the jr tournaments, not the camps.  Like you said, if its just to see the campus/facilities and nothing more, it may be worth your time.  However, the old baseball/football/basketball camp days of coaches inviting players to come to campus as an extra visit are basically over.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MB19 said:

Your description of your college's golf camp reminds me of going to University of Michigan basketball camp when I was turning 12 turning 13.  

We saw Bill Frieder (yeah, I'm that old) once per day, where he gave us a themed talk for 10-15 minutes and he would be peace-out.  He brought in Glen Rice one day to put on a shooting, post footwork and dunking demonstration and that was something I'll never forget.  What a talent he was at 20, when he was still really athletic.

Most of the camp, we were stashed away at nearby Concordia College where it was completely cleared out... where we could cause the least amount of commotion and damage.  It was fun, and a good experience going up against better players, but I'm not sure how much better it made me.  

My experience at Michigan baseball camp when I was 14 was slightly better, as we actually interacted with some of the players and coaches.  I pitched my best game of the summer after pitching instruction that week, so I guess my parents got some instant gratification for their money at that camp.

I'm not against sending my kids to a school golf camp some summer, but I would rather send them somewhere to get specialized instruction here in FL until they are well into HS I think.

I used to go to U of Iowa's basketball camps when Lute Olson was there. I guess I am old as well. After Lute left Iowa, I started going to the U of Iowa golf camps.  It was definitely fun staying in the dorms, playing 9 holes every morning and then putting/chipping/range work with the coaches in the afternoon.  Those were the days....

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

19 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I was going to reference basketball / baseball camps (I did those a ton when I was young) but I wasn't sure how many people would understand the comparison. 

28 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

For most of the camps I have seen, its go hit balls on the range and do random drills (film in one session so a coach/player can do way overgeneralization of swing analyses later or if it rains).  Then after lunch they may let the older kids go play while the younger ones do something non-golf related (like go play at the pool). Then they all meet back for dinner and a movie or something like that.

This hits the nail on the head. A golf camp is good if your goal is to get the kid out of the house and let them spend a few "parent free" days/nights goofing off and playing golf with their friends. If you're hoping for anything more than this you'll probably just end up feeling like you wasted your money. 

• Like 2

Coaches can and do speak to players of all ages/years at camps, not just those who are officially eligible under NCAA (summer after Sophomore year for D1).  There are limitations to what they can talk about, but it's definitely an opportunity for prospective recruits to audition their game and for coaches to get to know players.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

Coaches can and do speak to players of all ages/years at camps, not just those who are officially eligible under NCAA (summer after Sophomore year for D1).  There are limitations to what they can talk about, but it's definitely an opportunity for prospective recruits to audition their game and for coaches to get to know players.  

This is what I understood as well.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My son went to 3 camps so far.  USC, UCLA, and SDSU.  The best one was the SDSU one because we got to play on a nice course after some initial instruction.  Actually went to the UCLA camp twice and got to play also at the second camp.  Sometimes you get to meet their top players as well, which is fun.

At 13, it may be very worth while to attend one of these camps for the reasons mentioned above.  For us, it was just an expensive day of hanging with his friends.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

A few years ago I would have said for sure you want to get in front of the coach. But the rules changed in what seems like eternity but only 2 years ago.  

They basically can't talk to you if your not a Junior.  I am sure exposure is good but you can't have the frank conversations you used to be able to have. To me this where the value was with camps you could show up and interact with the coach and staff and talk about what it takes to get on their list.  Your not going to get an offer for a 12 year old but from conversations I had they would have no problem telling you if they liked your kid or not.

NCAA I think messed up a coach should be able to talk to younger kids 

They never could talk to them when on campus for a camp about recruiting.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

22 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

They never could talk to them when on campus for a camp about recruiting.

This was about 3-4 years ago before the rules change at that time the few camps we went too did heavy recruiting at them.  It made a lot sense based on the rules at that time.

Most of the recruiting was with the older kids but they did express interest in younger as well. No commitments just let you know they wanted you to keep in contact and if your going in the right direction kind of thing. 

It may not have met the official rules of recruiting for NCAA but it was pretty obvious that it was being used as a tool. 

Coaches also push the limits I know of a few kids who actually use them as swing instructor to this day.  Don't know how that conflicts with rules but they can and do teach kids who are local.

8 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

This was about 3-4 years ago before the rules change at that time the few camps we went too did heavy recruiting at them.  It made a lot sense based on the rules at that time.

Most of the recruiting was with the older kids but they did express interest in younger as well. No commitments just let you know they wanted you to keep in contact and if your going in the right direction kind of thing. 

It may not have met the official rules of recruiting for NCAA but it was pretty obvious that it was being used as a tool. 

Coaches also push the limits I know of a few kids who actually use them as swing instructor to this day.  Don't know how that conflicts with rules but they can and do teach kids who are local.

Just because they did, didn't mean it was within the rules.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.