GC2 vs Skytrak (excluding Simulation Play)

I realize there are a ton of topics on this and I have been through a lot of them but most of them are in reference to the comparison of the two models for Simulation play.  I don't plan on using the unit for that.  I plan on using it for my winter months to work on my swing and not get rusty. 

Few facts before the questions:

I have plenty of room before and after the ball but I am going to use the unit 99% indoors and camera based I have seen is best for indoors (currently using a mevo but need to have my miss distances left and right)

I do not plan on using this for Simulation Play

The unit will not be permanently mounted and I will have to set it up almost every time before I play

The delay of a couple seconds on the Skytrak will not bother me

Cost is still a big factor but not the driving factor

Questions:

If I dont buy the FSX software from Foresight for the GC2 is there software that comes with the unit that uploads and stores my shots to their site?  I am going to want to track progress over time so having the readout right there is great, but I need to keep historical.  

These is a subscription fee for the use of Skytrak no matter what, correct?

I hear conflicting things about how easy it is to get the Skytrak set up and going (leveling seems to be a real problem), your experience?

The ultimate question, is the GC2 worth the additional cost if I don't plan on using it for simulation play?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Save $4k and get a Skytrak.

I've seen this a lot and then it always turns into "i loved my Skytrak but as soon as I upgraded to a GC2 I wish I had done it sooner".  But I don't understand why except for simulation play.  Skytrak has the annual fee of 100 bucks which is annoying but a good business model from their standpoint, plus their software looks really good.  

22 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Ok, I mean you’ll get personal opinions of course, but my thought would be that a new GC2 is a lot of money for “old” (8 years?) tech, before you start on any software comparisons. 

I'm having this same problem with both the GC2 and the Skytrak, they are both very old tech but they seem to be the standard still.  

How finicky is the Sktrak?  Because if it's beyond annoying to set up and get working each time, then its going to be a difficult to justify any expense on it.  The software on the Skytrak looks great though.  

5 minutes ago, ABOsborn20 said:

I've seen this a lot and then it always turns into "i loved my Skytrak but as soon as I upgraded to a GC2 I wish I had done it sooner".  But I don't understand why except for simulation play.  Skytrak has the annual fee of 100 bucks which is annoying but a good business model from their standpoint, plus their software looks really good.  

Only reason to get a GC2 is if you're gonna use it outside as well and want to upgrade to club data. Skytrak is unusable outside. Also, you'll have to factor in buying replacement flashes for the GC2.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster

I've been pretty happy with my Skytrak, but there are definitely some odd things that make me question the accuracy.

I think it's great for home use - particularly with irons - but definitely not to be trusted when trying to dial in a driver for launch conditions.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

4 minutes ago, ABOsborn20 said:

I'm having this same problem with both the GC2 and the Skytrak, they are both very old tech but they seem to be the standard still.  

How finicky is the Sktrak?  Because if it's beyond annoying to set up and get working each time, then its going to be a difficult to justify any expense on it.  The software on the Skytrak looks great though.  

About once a year you have a meltdown where skytrak won't work right for an hour and it's frustrating AF.  Other than that - it's pretty good (though some irons just won't read)  😄

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I have never found my skytrak to be finicky - it rarely misses shots and once I get it aligned I only check it once a week or so (my mat tends to shift, so I have chalk marks on the garage floor that align squarely with the screen).

ideally I would have a gcquad with club data - I have found that the most important thing for my game is consistently in club path and face angle - so a gc2 alone wouldn’t be enough of an upgrade for me. With the ST, if you are a reasonably experienced player you can extrapolate what you probably did wrong by the starting direction and spin, but it isn’t the same as getting the precise data. Skytrak also over-plays side spin (the algorithm doesn’t factor in spin decay) so sideways movement is exaggerated compared to real conditions). 
I think the basic skytrak package is free, but this really is bare bones access to the range. $100 a year is the cost of 10 buckets of balls, so is worth it, and the $5-6k price difference is 50 years’ worth of $100 subscriptions...

• Like 1

For Skytrack to have aches and pains and still cost multiple thousands of dollars really hurts, but I guess its acceptable? People are still buying it many years later. GC2/Quad I think is more so for someone who is trying to "make it" or fitters... or someone who just has a lot of money to blow.

Knowing your history, though...Youve had a Vector (poop) and now a Mevo (also poop for exclusively indoors), what if you go Skytrack and its also poop? I would start with that but have a VERY short leash like Jimmy B with frosh guards.

I like golf. A lot.

47 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I've been pretty happy with my Skytrak, but there are definitely some odd things that make me question the accuracy.

I think it's great for home use - particularly with irons - but definitely not to be trusted when trying to dial in a driver for launch conditions.

How easy is it to set up each time since I will have to move it?

43 minutes ago, doctorgriffo said:

I have never found my skytrak to be finicky - it rarely misses shots and once I get it aligned I only check it once a week or so (my mat tends to shift, so I have chalk marks on the garage floor that align squarely with the screen).

ideally I would have a gcquad with club data - I have found that the most important thing for my game is consistently in club path and face angle - so a gc2 alone wouldn’t be enough of an upgrade for me. With the ST, if you are a reasonably experienced player you can extrapolate what you probably did wrong by the starting direction and spin, but it isn’t the same as getting the precise data. Skytrak also over-plays side spin (the algorithm doesn’t factor in spin decay) so sideways movement is exaggerated compared to real conditions). 
I think the basic skytrak package is free, but this really is bare bones access to the range. $100 a year is the cost of 10 buckets of balls, so is worth it, and the $5-6k price difference is 50 years’ worth of $100 subscriptions...

Your comment about the spin decay is very interesting because I have seen that in vides before with people comparing this.  "yeah i drew that ball but not THAT" far or vice versa.  I try to play a draw so I wonder how much that would factor in.  

17 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

For Skytrack to have aches and pains and still cost multiple thousands of dollars really hurts, but I guess its acceptable? People are still buying it many years later. GC2/Quad I think is more so for someone who is trying to "make it" or fitters... or someone who just has a lot of money to blow.

Knowing your history, though...Youve had a Vector (poop) and now a Mevo (also poop for exclusively indoors), what if you go Skytrack and its also poop? I would start with that but have a VERY short leash like Jimmy B with frosh guards.

Forgot all about that Vector......Don't forget the Xi as well.  

My concern about the Skytrak as well.  What if it's not good and I just don't even know it because I don't have any real comparisons.  

That's why I would like to get someone with some knowledge of the GC2 without the FSX package.  What does just the unit come with?  Does it store historical data?  Is it web based?  Is there any range at all or is it just purely numbers?  

3 hours ago, ABOsborn20 said:

Your comment about the spin decay is very interesting because I have seen that in vides before with people comparing this.  "yeah i drew that ball but not THAT" far or vice versa.  I try to play a draw so I wonder how much that would factor in.  

That’s been my experience of skytrak v real life - my miss on the course is a bit of a pull, but rarely a pull-hook, with irons (if anything, a little bit of draw spin but mostly just starting and staying offline). On skytrak, the left misses are exaggerated compared to what I see on the course (but it gives me useful info nonetheless, and guides me to work on the right thing).

I coach using a GC2 and the FSX software is really good for what your looking for. Maybe to good though. If your only looking for spin numbers and azimuth. It’s a great $3000.00 driving range and the monitor is still $6500.00. Your issues with Skytrak and Mevo+ are they don’t always get accurate driver data. But both great for driving range.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, ABOsborn20 said:

How easy is it to set up each time since I will have to move it?

Its seriously as easy and turning it on and putting it on the ground. If you're worried about it being perfectly perpendicular to your screen, just mark a spot on the ground. I can usually just eye ball it and make sure its straight and start hitting. 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:13 AM, Coachmike26 said:

I coach using a GC2 and the FSX software is really good for what your looking for. Maybe to good though. If your only looking for spin numbers and azimuth. It’s a great $3000.00 driving range and the monitor is still $6500.00. Your issues with Skytrak and Mevo+ are they don’t always get accurate driver data. But both great for driving range.

Have you ever tried any other software with it?  TGC for example?

19 hours ago, its_ikon said:

Have you thought about other Flightscope models like the Xi or Xi-Tour? I went from SkyTrak to Xi-Tour and love it. SkyTrak was finicky and has weird ways to set things up. Some people say to not wear white shoes. I liked the interface, but Xi-Tour has been a huge upgrade. 

Yes I actually did have one of the units a few years ago.  Since I am most indoors I had terrible luck with accurate numbers.  Something about my environment it just didnt like.  Worked a lot with their support team (very helpful) but we couldn't come to a resolution.  Software was really good though.  

SkyTrak has some funky issues, but generally once you get it set up - technically and physically - its pretty consistent.  It likes a good physical alignment states so static setup with location guides are VERY helpful.  SkyTrak offers three forms of connection strategy (Direct, Network, USB) and each had benefits, complexities and in the case of USB, a question if it works reliably enough.  But that said, once you get a stable network connection set up, it becomes plug and play.  So SkyTrak works best and most reliably if you change very little once its perfectly set up.  Of course you can adapt to changing scenarios (connections, different mat/locations, inside/outside etc) but it is a learning curve.  Frankly, if I could make it work, I would expect most on this forum to be able to do so.  

And, from my experience, you CAN use it outside, you just need to ensure that direct external light does not get picked up in the process.  For example strong sunlight shining INTO the sensors/cameras etc are as problematic as a spotlight that used to exist at a golf dome I practised at - the device wants a well lit golf ball with a reasonable environmental contrast around the device.  SkyTrak is, for the price and effort, a great way to get reasonably reliable data.  The good news is that when specific data parameter results aren't perfect, the consistency of the devices (in my experience) allow good trending - which is, frankly, the key value in consumer grade devices in this category.

And getting the Full Metal Jacket for the SkyTrak should be mandatory - everyone says they couldn't possibly hit the device with a golf ball during practice - I know more than a few of those folks who were wrong 😞  A well hit shank of mine was an estimated 1cm away from disaster...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a gc2 with the intention of using in my outdoor cage and at the range. Indoors I have been using it with my putting green. I am using the free FSPerformance app on my iPad. No sim software at this time but will check out GSPro and TGC.

i did not like idea of paying an annual or subscription fee of any kind. 

vega vm-01 & vc-02 & vdc c-taper lite x
TI Tm 'sim 10.5* w/ ad gp 6x
TI TM 17 M2 18* ad di 7x
'17 M2 24** ad di 8x
forged 52,56,62
bettinardi sig 2 proto dass wide body

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you need to look at things like this in terms of your goals:

If you are an elite golfer looking to improve get a gc2 or preferably better. You might be consistent enough to benefit from the greater accuracy.

If you are anything else and money is a factor, get a skytrak and spend the difference on lessons. The extra accuracy of a gc2 will not give greater benefit than lessons and you are not going to be more consistent than a skytrak (accepting the odd crazy misread)

If money is not a factor get a gcq or trackman.