Who else games a 62° Wedge? Gapping issue?

FlopShotGang

Whenever I see a WITB I only see either a 60 or 64 but never a 62. If you play a 62 what’s your wedge gapping? Also, do you think 8° is too much and would cause me some problems? Getting some insight on your setups would be helpful. 

62 makes gap spacing so awkward but I just love it in the bag. For reference my PW and GW are 46 and 50. Either way I’m looking at a 6 or 8° gap in my wedges and want to know where you make sacrifices in gap when you game a 62. 

I used to carry a 62 SM7 with 8 degrees of bounce. Bounce was fine, could still open up the face. Great for flop shots and firm bunkers. 

But I found it largely useless as an approach club except for highly specialized shots or to get out of trouble. On full, or even 3/4 shots, the loft is so high that it's hard to get consistent strikes and therefore consistent distance numbers. 

I moved to a 58 that is more versatile, but if you have a spot in the bag for a 62, go for it. Just don't expect it to do much for you when you're not around or close to the greens.

Edited by uglande
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I carry one sometimes, but only because I had to replace my 64 degree in a hurry before a tournament and that was the highest loft that I could buy retail.  I got used to it and it goes in the bag when I need some bounce.  Otherwise, I use a 60 with 4*bounce for tighter turf and packed sand.  

With the gapping, I go 52,56,62.  

The main reason that I like the 62+ degree wedges is to be able to have a more aggressive swing from that 60-100 yard range. 

• Like 1

I play some Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges with the old box grooves. Have 48, 52, 56, 62. Carry distance is 125 (48), 115 (52), 105 (56), and 90 (62).  I felt like I was hitting the set PW too close to my 9 iron so I changed to the Vokey 48. I have a bunch of extra wedges and have tried 52, 58, 64. But I felt like I never hit the 64 and hit the 58 for most shots 100 yards and in. The 6 degree gap led to too many half shots for someone that plays weekend golf and is not a range rat. My wedges are wearing out so I will be switching a fresh set this season and will go 48, 52, 56, 60 or 48, 54, 60 depending on if I need to carry another hybrid for specific courses.

• Thanks 1

In the bag, at the moment:
Callaway Paradym 💎 💎 💎 S TC 10.5* Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Mavrik SZ TC 17* Aldila Rogue White 70S

Callaway Apex UW 21* Project X Hrzdus Smoke Black 70S

Ping G425 5 hybrid 26* Ping Tour 85 stiff shaft

Callaway Apex TCB 5 - AW Project X 5.5 shafts
Callaway Jaws Raw 56* bent to 55* & 60* Project X 5.5 shafts

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 putter

Titleist Pro V1x

5 minutes ago, bdawg983 said:

I play some Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges with the old box grooves. Have 48, 52, 56, 62. Carry distance is 125 (48), 115 (52), 105 (56), and 90 (62).  I felt like I was hitting the set PW too close to my 9 iron so I changed to the Vokey 48. I have a bunch of extra wedges and have tried 52, 58, 64. But I felt like I never hit the 64 and hit the 58 for most shots 100 yards and in. The 6 degree gap led to too many half shots for someone that plays weekend golf and is not a range rat. My wedges are wearing out so I will be switching a fresh set this season and will go 48, 52, 56, 60 or 48, 54, 60 depending on if I need to carry another hybrid for specific courses.

I have pretty similar numbers which is good to know because right now my biggest Achilles heel in wedge play is half shots for distance control.

my PW (46) goes about 130, GW (50°) goes 110-115, SW (56°) goes 85-90 yds and full swing 62 is about 70. But I never full swing my 62 when I play and just know this yardage from the range. I mostly use 62 from 45yds and in or around the green.

With a 47 pw ... I would go 52-57-62

with a 45 pw ... 50-56-62 ... or bend to 55.5 and 61

i have quite a few 62 and 64’s and mostly play the 2009 SM2 wedges. ... I had a 62 SM2 and sadly gave it away

the sm7 62 have too much of a rounded leading edge for my liking 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I currently have a 60* callaway mack daddy forged and i like it. I practice with it in the back yard which really helps for around the green situations but to be honest i find that its really  rare that i even need to use it. I think for half the summer i had it i only hit it 3 4 times. I find it much easier to work around the green with my 52 or 56 sometimes pw if i feel it needs to run. Those wedges bring my scores down... if i dont practice enough with the higher lofts i end up hitting high shots that end up short. I definetly wouldnt use it for no more then 20 yards and in.  It takes skill and know how to execute the higher lofts. Nothing looks cooler then to hit a 3 quarter flop shot with it and watch it pop into the air toward your spot and know how much its spinning 😆 sexy shot

• Thanks 1

46 (or 47 depending on the set), 52, 58, 62

My 62 is vokey T grind, used mainly for short sided bunkers or tight lies around the green. Glad I have it when I need it.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

32 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I currently have a 60* callaway mack daddy forged and i like it. I practice with it in the back yard which really helps for around the green situations but to be honest i find that its really  rare that i even need to use it. I think for half the summer i had it i only hit it 3 4 times. I find it much easier to work around the green with my 52 or 56 sometimes pw if i feel it needs to run. Those wedges bring my scores down... if i dont practice enough with the higher lofts i end up hitting high shots that end up short. I definetly wouldnt use it for no more then 20 yards and in.  It takes skill and know how to execute the higher lofts. Nothing looks cooler then to hit a 3 quarter flop shot with it and watch it pop into the air toward your spot and know how much its spinning 😆 sexy shot

Definitely agree there’s nothing sexier than a flop shot. Hence my username.

I actually don’t have that problem with my 62 coming up short on pitches and chips and I probably use it more around the green for chipping than any other club. mostly because I think the grind suits me more and my SW has a ton of bounce so I only use it in the rough or sand. I just like the spin I get from the 62 and have a decent level of confidence and control when it comes to using it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

46 (or 47 depending on the set), 52, 58, 62

My 62 is vokey T grind, used mainly for short sided bunkers or tight lies around the green. Glad I have it when I need it.

Am definitely considering this set up. Do you find 6° to be too much of a gap, particularly from 52-58?

I definitely struggle with between club yardages and distance control with my 50 and 56 which go about 115 and 85. If I did 52° and 58° I feel like I’d have the same issue but at 105-75.

I have used a 62 degree wedge for years as part of a 45 / 50 / 56 / 62 Vokey set up and have no desire to ever change - at least as long my 9i loft remains at or around 40 degrees.  The 62 is 7 or 8 degrees of bounce and 56 is 14.  I never hit full shots with the 62 but I love being able to be aggressive with the 62 and not worry about going over greens.  I always felt a 60 was too close in loft to my 56 - and prefer 6 degree loft gaps at bottom of my bag. 

• Thanks 1

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G10 (9*) - Graffaloy Red - 64g S[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]X2Hot Pro F (17*) - Aldila Green Tour - 73 S [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM UDI (18*) - KBS C - Taper Lite[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]X2Hot Pro H (23*) - Aldila Green Tour - 77 S[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM R. Bladez (24*) - DG X100[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM R7 (6i - 9i) - (28*, 32*, 36*, 40*) - DG X100[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Vokey SM Wedges SM (45*, 50*, 56*, 62*) - DG S400[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping Karsten TR Anser 2 - (34") [/font][/size]

1 minute ago, FlopShotGang said:

Am definitely considering this set up. Do you find 6° to be too much of a gap, particularly from 52-58?

I definitely struggle with between club yardages and distance control with my 50 and 56 which go about 115 and 85. If I did 52° and 58° I feel like I’d have the same issue but at 105-75.

No, not at all. I don't swing my wedges full so 6° gap is no problem. I like to be creative. I have really worked this winter on using different clubs for a variety of shots. At first it was odd, but have been playing this set up for over a year now so it is normal for me. Everybody is different though, have to find what works best for your game.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

9 minutes ago, BronxGolf said:

I have used a 62 degree wedge for years as part of a 45 / 50 / 56 / 62 Vokey set up and have no desire to ever change - at least as long my 9i loft remains at or around 40 degrees.  The 62 is 7 or 8 degrees of bounce and 56 is 14.  I never hit full shots with the 62 but I love being able to be aggressive with the 62 and not worry about going over greens.  I always felt a 60 was too close in loft to my 56 - and prefer 6 degree loft gaps at bottom of my bag. 

Great insight. I’m similar in that I prefer to have a longer or more aggressive swing around the green which is why I think I enjoy more loft in the 62 so much. My 62° has 8 bounce and I also have a 60 but it has 10 bounce and the courses I play are mostly neutral to firm so less bounce is more optimal.

Who can recommend a 62 with bounce for traps and a straighter leading edge?

I have a 62 sm5_T and it’s not great from soft lies in sand or fairways

62 sm4 has the right satin finish but I don’t like the feel or sole grind on it as much as my SM2 64.07 or 60m TVD 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, FlopShotGang said:

Definitely agree there’s nothing sexier than a flop shot. Hence my username.

I actually don’t have that problem with my 62 coming up short on pitches and chips and I probably use it more around the green for chipping than any other club. mostly because I think the grind suits me more and my SW has a ton of bounce so I only use it in the rough or sand. I just like the spin I get from the 62 and have a decent level of confidence and control when it comes to using it.

Yeah it took a while for me to understand the situations and the angles to stike the ball at to make it drive forward better rather then pop straight up... also understanding what kind of lie and soft or hardness the ground is helps knowing how easy or difficult it will be to use the higher loft... ppl need to understand lie and condtion or ground is soo important to every shot actually.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TaS22 said:

main reason that I like the 62+ degree wedges is to be able to have a more aggressive swing from that 60-100 yard range. 

This X 1000!

Nothing worse than smoking a drive and having to feel your way on a 78 yard shot. 62° I can take a full rip at it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

On 1/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, cardoustie said:

Who can recommend a 62 with bounce for traps and a straighter leading edge?

I have a 62 sm5_T and it’s not great from soft lies in sand or fairways

62 sm4 has the right satin finish but I don’t like the feel or sole grind on it as much as my SM2 64.07 or 60m TVD 

The only thing I can think of would be bending a Vokey 60° S grind which has a pretty straight leading edge. It has 10 bounce so getting it to 62 would make it a high 12° bounce. 

I personally like the S grind although after reading on GolfWRX forums it’s love/hate.

I grew up playing PING EYE 2 wedges which were 61, 57, & 50 respectively. After I moved on from them 25 years later, I still keep the same lofts. The only change being the 50 is now a 52 since my PW is now 47 and trying to keep the 5 yards gap in between the 3 wedges. It's worked pretty well for me over the time and I'm used to the gaps. If I was using a 48, 53, 58 wedge system and wanted to try something with a little more loft, I'd try the 62 in a heartbeat as long as I wasn't hurting myself down bag.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I used to play the vokey m grind 62 but just switched to t grind at 61. I have always gone 48,54,60-64. It's usually so windy in Texas I'm typically playing everything outside 80 with the SW anyways. If you are going to play something over 60 you really have to be able to hit a lot of different shots with your pitching wedge and sand wedge. You can't be so concerned with tight gapping unless you are going to leave big holes in the top of your bag. I would always rather manufacture a shot with PW/SW than try to feather a 3 wood/vaporize a 3 iron on a 225 yard par 3 wind in your face water left. You just have to determine whether you are picking up enough strokes around the green with 62-64* LW to compensate for possibly less precision from 135-80 yards.