2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

On 8/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, Pepetito said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a club fitting in SE michigan?  Want to get new irons.  I've never done it and want to finally do it.  I know the usual suspects...Carls, Club champion, Miles of golf.

Anyone had a good recent experience?

Ryan Johnson at Carls. 

So finished up a week long trip in N Mich on the first half of my sabbatical.

I will say, it was beautiful country to visit.  We got super fortunate and had a cabin on a small lake which forced lots of contemplation and reflection!

As for golf, I will start with what i would advise people to avoid! Treetops Resort courses!!!! This was one of the most thoroughly disappointing places to golf I have ever been to. The service was horrid.  The course conditions were ok, greens were really slow, but the bunkers were terrible.  The worst part was that there was trash everywhere - around tee boxes, fairways and greens.  It’s like they don’t bother to clean anything.  The range balls were 50% torn up. Finally, they sent us the address to the    wrong set of courses.  

Arcadia Bluffs, mixed feelings on this one.  It was a pretty course, but seemed to be a really bad design.  I think everyone in our group said “what the heck is this?” on about 2/3 of the holes.  I personally felt it was boring and a bad layout as it seemed to pinch you to n the fairway, right where the ball needs to be played.  The conditions were good.

American Dunes, I like the course. Unfortunately it was not in the best shape as they had recently got lots of water.  

Now Forest Dunes and the Loop, these course were at the end of our trip and the redeemers. I could play both those courses everyday.  Loved every thing about the place.  We all felt, that if we are to do it over again, we will just stay and play there the whole time.  Just a great facility.  

All in all, it was a good trip. An amazing relaxing time in a cabin on a lake, good company and some good golf.  

Look forward to coming back and trying some other places.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:50 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

I will say, it was beautiful country to visit.  We got super fortunate and had a cabin on a small lake which forced lots of contemplation and reflection!

As for golf, I will start with what i would advise people to avoid! Treetops Resort courses!!!! This was one of the most thoroughly disappointing places to golf I have ever been to. The service was horrid.  The course conditions were ok, greens were really slow, but the bunkers were terrible.  The worst part was that there was trash everywhere - around tee boxes, fairways and greens.  It’s like they don’t bother to clean anything.  The range balls were 50% torn up. Finally, they sent us the address to the    wrong set of courses.  

Arcadia Bluffs, mixed feelings on this one.  It was a pretty course, but seemed to be a really bad design.  I think everyone in our group said “what the heck is this?” on about 2/3 of the holes.  I personally felt it was boring and a bad layout as it seemed to pinch you to n the fairway, right where the ball needs to be played.  The conditions were good.

American Dunes, I like the course. Unfortunately it was not in the best shape as they had recently got lots of water.  

Now Forest Dunes and the Loop, these course were at the end of our trip and the redeemers. I could play both those courses everyday.  Loved every thing about the place.  We all felt, that if we are to do it over again, we will just stay and play there the whole time.  Just a great facility.  

All in all, it was a good trip. An amazing relaxing time in a cabin on a lake, good company and some good golf.  

Hmmm, is Treetops really that rough.  A bit concerning as we have a trip up that way as well in 2 weeks.  Also hitting Arcadia and Forest Dunes for 2 days.  

Part of me hearing that just makes me want to revert to playing Ostego Tribute and Belvedere instead.    

9 hours ago, macteago said:

Hmmm, is Treetops really that rough.  A bit concerning as we have a trip up that way as well in 2 weeks.  Also hitting Arcadia and Forest Dunes for 2 days.  

Part of me hearing that just makes me want to revert to playing Ostego Tribute and Belvedere instead.    

I’m at Treetops as I type this. I’ll report back on conditions as we are playing 3 of the courses and Threetops over the next couple of days. Played Otsego Tribute yesterday. Conditions were great, but I find that to be a tough golf course. We played the Blue tees and the card says 6700 yards, played like 7000 yesterday and for a Wednesday, every single pin was tucked. I shot 47 on the front and 37 on the back. Very cool looking course, still not sure how I feel about the way it plays. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

im up at treetops right now about to tee off in an hour and a half and I hope the courses aren’t as bad as you say. As far as Arcadia and Forest Dunes, man I couldn’t disagree more. I love the layout and views at Arcadia. I find nothing about that course boring, but that’s just my opinion. I found Forest Dunes to be in very nice condition but completely forgettable. I can think of 2 holes on that entire course that were memorable, the rest I just don’t get the hype that course gets. I liked the Loop better than FD to be honest. It’s so different and allows you to play a variety of ways. Glad you had a good trip though 👍, I did Forest Dunes, The Loop, Arcadia Soith and Bluffs and American Dunes last year as a trip. One of the best I’ve been on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N8dogg2669 said:

I’m at Treetops as I type this. I’ll report back on conditions as we are playing 3 of the courses and Threetops over the next couple of days. Played Otsego Tribute yesterday. Conditions were great, but I find that to be a tough golf course. We played the Blue tees and the card says 6700 yards, played like 7000 yesterday and for a Wednesday, every single pin was tucked. I shot 47 on the front and 37 on the back. Very cool looking course, still not sure how I feel about the way it plays. 

Thanks for relaying information, hope you have a great trip, shoot well.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, macteago said:

Note- it was the whole experience that made it bad for us.  

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Note- it was the whole experience that made it bad for us.  

treetops signature was in real good shape. No trash, greens rolled great, tee boxes were good. Beer cart girls were lovely and the ranger was super nice. Staff inside not so great, pace of play was the biggest JOKE I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

treetops signature was in real good shape. No trash, greens rolled great, tee boxes were good. Beer cart girls were lovely and the ranger was super nice. Staff inside not so great, pace of play was the biggest JOKE I’ve ever seen. 

What was your round length?  Hopefully better tomorrow for you.  

Going out to conquer Leslie Park in A2 with the oldest son this afternoon from the blues.  Not walking today, last time I tried was shortly after knee replacement and got my butt handed to me.  Ended up getting a cart at the turn.  lol

It should be interesting.  

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Going out to conquer Leslie Park in A2 with the oldest son this afternoon from the blues.  Not walking today, last time I tried was shortly after knee replacement and got my butt handed to me.  Ended up getting a cart at the turn.  lol

It should be interesting.  

Have fun.   Leslie Park is a nice course.   It is difficult to walk because of the elevation changes.    I played it a while back and it was in great shape.   

46 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Have fun.   Leslie Park is a nice course.   It is difficult to walk because of the elevation changes.    I played it a while back and it was in great shape.   

Actually find it a very easy course to walk,tee boxes are close to each other. With the Exception of the walk up to the 14th box.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:50 PM, macteago said:

What was your round length?  Hopefully better tomorrow for you.  

Just under 6 hours. According to the sign on the cart pace was supposed to be 4hrs 33 mins. There was a group of 16 old guys in front of us playing some kind of competition, probably for about $20 a guy and they were all over the place. Literally putting out 6 inch putts for 7’s and 8’s. Most of the guys couldn’t hit it more than about 125 yards. Watched one guy literally have to get on his hands and knees to get out of a bunker. Ranger told us he had approval to move them up some holes but never did, instead gave us 20% off coupons for the pro shop….. our $500 a night condo is a pile of s***, overall I’m so unimpressed with Treetops. We have spent more time over at Otsego and had a blast over there. We talked to a few guys doing a guys trip at Otsego, new condo, right on the course, walking distance from the clubhouse and they paid the same as us for a new condo that sleeps 12 guys. I’ll never do a treetops trip again. I’ll go to Otsego and stay and play there and hit some other places. It’s a shame, I always loved coming here. For what it’s worth the courses are in good shape. Only positive I can give Treetops. 

31 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Just under 6 hours. According to the sign on the cart pace was supposed to be 4hrs 33 mins. There was a group of 16 old guys in front of us playing some kind of competition, probably for about $20 a guy and they were all over the place. Literally putting out 6 inch putts for 7’s and 8’s. Most of the guys couldn’t hit it more than about 125 yards. Watched one guy literally have to get on his hands and knees to get out of a bunker. Ranger told us he had approval to move them up some holes but never did, instead gave us 20% off coupons for the pro shop….. our $500 a night condo is a pile of s***, overall I’m so unimpressed with Treetops. We have spent more time over at Otsego and had a blast over there. We talked to a few guys doing a guys trip at Otsego, new condo, right on the course, walking distance from the clubhouse and they paid the same as us for a new condo that sleeps 12 guys. I’ll never do a treetops trip again. I’ll go to Otsego and stay and play there and hit some other places. It’s a shame, I always loved coming here. For what it’s worth the courses are in good shape. Only positive I can give Treetops. 

This was our experience at Treetops last year.   The courses were in great shape, the pace of play was extremely slow and the ranger/club house wouldn't address the issues (sent people off of #10) and onsite rooms were old, dirty and just a place you wouldn't want to revisit.   Sadly we have been up there 5 of the last 7 years and probably won't return.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

This was our experience at Treetops last year.   The courses were in great shape, the pace of play was extremely slow and the ranger/club house wouldn't address the issues (sent people off of #10) and onsite rooms were old, dirty and just a place you wouldn't want to revisit.   Sadly we have been up there 5 of the last 7 years and probably won't return.  

we are staying in the Condos at Treetops North. I’ve stayed in them before, but it was probably 7 years ago. Sadly I don’t think they have been maintained since then. We spoke to one of the guys who lives in one of the condos and he said almost all are private now and ours was the only one in this complex that was in the rental program. The glasses had bugs in them, half the power outlets don’t work, the Cable tv doesn’t work at all. Called the front desk on Wednesday and they said it was the cable providers issue and have heard nothing back, it’s now Saturday and we haven’t even been able to watch tv our entire stay. Showers were filthy, numerous handles to doors, cabinets, and drawers fall off when you try and open them. Outdoor lights don’t work, huge burn hole in the ottoman. I’m sure at this point I’m irritated with the entire situation and I am piling on, but all of it’s true. Is what it is, but I can guarantee they do not get any of my business for quite awhile, if ever again. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:25 AM, DennyJones said:

Unfortunately, it still hasn’t totally reverted from tournament conditions for the city championship just past.  Greens were nigh on impossible to putt for a duffer.  Three putted 8 of the first 9 holes for an ugly 49.  I quit keeping score at that point and tried to just enjoy my day.  Greens were also very firm and hard to hold a pitch shot.  

The course looked great, just a wee bit past my skill level.

Edited by SnowbirdTom

TM Spider GT-X putter

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Unfortunately, it still hasn’t totally reverted from tournament conditions for the city championship just past.  Greens were nigh on impossible to putt for a duffer.  Three putted 8 of the first 9 holes for an ugly 49.  I quit keeping score at that point and tried to just enjoy my day.  Greens were also very firm and hard to hold a pitch shot.  

The course looked great, just a wee bit past my skill level.

You're not alone with trouble putting there.   I've played close to 40 courses this year and Leslie Park kicks my butt with 3 putts more than any other course I've played

3 hours ago, DennyJones said:

You're not alone with trouble putting there.   I've played close to 40 courses this year and Leslie Park kicks my butt with 3 putts more than any other course I've played

Went out and played 9 at Hickory Hill in Wixom to get some walking in.  Course is a somewhat wreck, but still shot 41 on par 35. Three putted the first hole and screamed.  It got better after that. 😂

TM Spider GT-X putter

I thought I could make a quick 9 at Maple Hill this morning...tee time was at 11:20, and we got out about 10 minutes early.  I thought we'd have time to play 9 before 12:30.  The group in front of us was a 6some; 4 of whom had never played golf before...I'm not gonna hold it against anyone for trying to learn, I did some of my best learning at Maple Hill (and heaven knows I did my share of goofin' around and holding up groups behind me), but man that was arduous today...took 20 minutes to tee off on the first hole, and we waited another 20 minutes on the second.  We asked to play through on the third, and I holed out on the fourth hole at 12:35 before I had to leave.

It was bizarre being so slow on a course (like Maple Hill) that usually plays pretty fast.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 8/10/2022 at 10:08 PM, macteago said:

Absolutely go with the second two. You'll be much happier.

I forgot to add, Otsego was a blast. The Tribute is a very tough golf course. But it looks really cool and will test you in almost every shot . I was a little in different right after I played it since I felt like I went thru a meat grinder, but in hindsight I really enjoyed it. The classic was so much fun. It’s nothing spectacular but I have to say it was in pretty solid shape. We had some tunes going, drinks flowing and got in a late 9 on one day and a late 18 the next day. Ended up playing 108 holes wed-sat. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 10:21 AM, timbo08 said:

Nice to hear it sounds like Otsego has bounced back with the new ownership.  Been a few years but I might have to check it out. 

I'd highly recommend it. I had read some really bad reviews about the Classic and I was thinking we were going to play a dump but I was really pleasantly surprised. Already talked to a couple of buddies about a trip next year to Otsego and some surrounding courses. 

• Like 1

Just chiming in to say I played Stoatin Brae, near Battle Creek this past weekend and it is definitely in my Michigan top 10 public courses! Greens were difficult and a nice variety of holes. Front nine was 3600+ from the tips but the back nine only 3100ish made for an interesting adaptation midway through the round. Highly recommend if you haven't had the chance to get out there!

• Like 1

Just returned from 5 day trip up north, absolutely fabulous time.  We had 16 golfers with a wide range of handicaps from 2-20.  Interestingly enough many in our group was left a little let down by Arcadia Bluffs.  It's a beautiful property and some really great views and interesting holes.  I can't really put my finger on it but it wasn't that memorable of round for me.  The South course however I absolutely loved and would travel that way to play it again.  Just a really engaging round.  

From there we hit Cedar River on our way to Forest Dunes.  That course was a big hit with everyone, the right amount of playability and beauty.  Really liked how the greens were rolling there.  Eagling the 13th was one of the top personal highlights of the trip.  

Next stop was Forest Dunes, absolutely loved the facility, I really enjoyed the Dunes course.  Unfortunately we got hit with some fairly rough weather on the back 9 which sidetracked everyone's round.  I definitely want another crack at it, was even through 12 then got sideways.  The Loop surprisingly was one of the biggest hits on the trip,  most of the 12-20 handicaps absolutely loved The Loop (Red) due to playability and uniqueness.    I definitely loved the contrast and my mind was blown by the par 5 second hole of the red course.  Was on fringe in 2 and ended up with a 7 after first putt trickled off green and proceeded to roll another 50 yards away.  Definitely take you some time to learn how to properly play the course, would like to attempt it again.  

Last stop was Treetops, I would say that the conditions were very good, my group was very entertained.  It was a good place to end a trip as we could configure into 6-some scrambles (3 v 3) without complaint from the rangers as long as we kept pace.  We are a considerable group so never saw someone behind us the entire day.  We actually had 15 guys teeing off on Threetops at once (5v5v5).  We had the last 4 times of the day, teeing off 2-3 people simultaneously.  That course is very fun and it was a very memorable experience. 

Maybe it was because it was toward the end of the trip but I just didn't find those courses that memorable (Premiere/Signature).  They are beautiful don't get me wrong but I just don't really enjoy blind elevated shots into greens (ton of that on Premiere).  Definitely enjoyed Signature more.  Compared to a Pilgrim's Run or Belvedere I just find those courses more fun to play but maybe everyone has their own unique perspectives.  That said an 18 there followed by Threetops is a big hit with any group.  

Edited by macteago
  • Like 4