All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

Back from my annual trip.  We did SW Michigan.

Played:

American dunes: great course, as expected.  Expensive but worth it to play once no doubt.

Ravines, nice track.  Far better than expected for $49.  Very cool back nine with all the ravines and such.

Hawkhead Links:  As expected.  Great value for $55.

Harbor Shores: Very pretty course.  Probably the hardest course i've ever played.  Some of those greens are just wild.  Crazy to me the seniors can shoot -19 over a weekend there.

We stayed in the Goldenhawk cottages at Hawskhead Links.  They have two of these.  Our group of 16 had both cottages (8 in each one).  Would highly recommend for a buddies trip.

Had great weather.  One of our best trips between the course quality, weather, lodging.  We also won our tournament by .5 strokes which helped.

Now onto planning next years.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, GirlDadGolfer0204 said:

Well I’m just back from my little vacation aka layoff and I played a few course. But the ones I was looking forward to most had to be Canceled because my vacation aka layoff ended earlier than expected which is good and bad those were treetop premier and threetop the par 3 course. But I did play the Grayling country club, Timberwolf on of 72 going into Kalaska from Grayling. Twin Birch, Grandview and Grand Traverse SpurceRun which was my favorite. Definitely playing The Bear and Wolverine next. Along with a course at treetops

pics1-7 are spurce run

next 6 are a mix of Timberwolf, And Twin Birch.

last few are Grayling CC I didn’t have my phone for Grandview. 

I have a place a couple minutes from Tiberwolf and for some reason had never played it. I really enjoyed the layout, greens, and price, not sure why I had never played it before.

Hey fellow Michigan golfers: Just wanted to give a quick heads up to anyone interested in playing Stoatin Brae this summer: DON'T. It's a disaster and not worth the +$120 they are asking. Sadly, I'm saying this as a member. Just played it after not playing it for a while and the course is in really, really bad shape. They cut most of the heather, leaving awful dirt/rocks between the fairways, which have a lot of dead grass yet aren't firm. The biggest shame is the greens and fringes. This is not an exaggeration, but there's fringes longer than the first cut off rough at your average course. Greens are embarrassingly slow and grass is long. I know they are trying to save the grass but whoever's making the calls there needs to just give in and let it play firm and fast like a links course should. Let it burn out and it'll be amazing. Maybe this week's Open Championship will inspire them lol. 

Anyway, just popping in to hopefully save one of you some cash, it's really sad what has happened to the course and I'd hate to see anyone else walk away disappointed. I took a guest today and was embarrassed. Cheers yall.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kalamazoo said:

Hey fellow Michigan golfers: Just wanted to give a quick heads up to anyone interested in playing Stoatin Brae this summer: DON'T. It's a disaster and not worth the +$120 they are asking. Sadly, I'm saying this as a member. Just played it after not playing it for a while and the course is in really, really bad shape. They cut most of the heather, leaving awful dirt/rocks between the fairways, which have a lot of dead grass yet aren't firm. The biggest shame is the greens and fringes. This is not an exaggeration, but there's fringes longer than the first cut off rough at your average course. Greens are embarrassingly slow and grass is long. I know they are trying to save the grass but whoever's making the calls there needs to just give in and let it play firm and fast like a links course should. Let it burn out and it'll be amazing. Maybe this week's Open Championship will inspire them lol. 

Anyway, just popping in to hopefully save one of you some cash, it's really sad what has happened to the course and I'd hate to see anyone else walk away disappointed. I took a guest today and was embarrassed. Cheers yall.

That's sad. That course could be so good if they let it play firm and fast.  BCCC was playing firm and fast before all the recent rain and it was awesome.   

• Like 2

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, kalamazoo said:

Very sad.  I think i played it in year 2 of it opening and thought it was incredible.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, cassel191919 said:

I have a place a couple minutes from Tiberwolf and for some reason had never played it. I really enjoyed the layout, greens, and price, not sure why I had never played it before.

Yea I enjoyed that course more than twin birch and grayling cc although grayling cc hole 16 along the river is beautiful. And your right the prices are great and they have a military discount for those who served and I really appreciate courses that support the armed forces.

Just returned from a trip:

Arcadia- Bluffs and South

Forest Dunes and Loop (Black)

I know there was some reports about issues with the greens at Bluffs...I noticed no issues at all.  Greens seemed totally fine, pretty quick... really no different than the South course.  Only issue of the trip was the 3 hour back nine at Bluffs. Was mainly caused by one group that was walking with caddies and were in the heather every hole looking for balls. No ranger was in sight. 

Consensus of our group was that Forest Dunes was the favorite layout and The Loop was the least favorite. 

Forest Dunes has an amazing mix of holes, and was in great condition.  Greens were running very,  very quick. 

Loop was still fun,  the greens were just a little ridiculous. Playing putter basically everywhere within 30 yards of the green was fun,  and highly recommended. 

I would have liked to play it the other way on back to back days to get the full experience 

All 4 courses were a blast.  

Edited by ruascott
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ruascott said:

Just returned from a trip:

Arcadia- Bluffs and South

Forest Dunes and Loop (Black)

I know there was some reports about issues with the greens at Bluffs...I noticed no issues at all.  Greens seemed totally fine, pretty quick... really no different than the South course.  Only issue of the trip was the 3 hour back nine at Bluffs. Was mainly caused by one group that was walking with caddies and were in the heather every hole looking for balls. No ranger was in sight. 

Consensus of our group was that Forest Dunes was the favorite layout and The Loop was the least favorite. 

Forest Dunes has an amazing mix of holes, and was in great condition.  Greens were running very,  very quick. 

Loop was still fun,  the greens were just a little ridiculous. Playing putter basically everywhere within 30 yards of the green was fun,  and highly recommended. 

I would have liked to play it the other way on back to back days to get the full experience 

All 4 courses were a blast.  

Playing FD Dunes course 8/4 and 8/5...also doing bootlegger 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

We are staying in Gaylord in a cabin.  A buddy has a cabin up there, so he told us to just stay.  That makes a little extra driving (to Arcadia especially), but no lodging costs.

Right on. We're heading to Garland for three more rounds after the 8/5 morning round.

• Like 1

I am hoping someone here is familiar with the Muskegon area.  I have played in the North and Southwest but never in this area.  I am heading up there and want to get a round in with my dad and son.  After an "exhaustive" search, I found Lincoln Golf Course and Stone Gate Golf Club.  Lincoln looks like a typical, short country type course whereas Stone Gate looks scenic but extremely narrow off the tee.  Anyone played either?

This was supposed to be Lincoln Country Club's 100th anniversary, but they're becoming condos now or something.  Where are the other century-old golf courses in Michigan?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 7/11/2022 at 10:15 PM, kalamazoo said:

That does suck. That course has so much potential. I played it a few years ago and I liked it, but just being there you could see the absolute potential of that course. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

This was supposed to be Lincoln Country Club's 100th anniversary, but they're becoming condos now or something.  Where are the other century-old golf courses in Michigan?

There are many clubs that are over 100 years old, but the golf courses are not.  Some of the older courses in Michigan that are still original are in the north north.  

Wequetonsing in Harbor Springs is one of the oldest, but good luck getting on.  It is highly exclusive. 

Wawashkamo is on Mackinaw Island and is pretty much original design. 

Both are over 120 years old now. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Hi All, I'm headed up to north to play Pilgrim's Run and the Arcadia courses in a couple of weeks and am trying to decide where to play on our way up from Chicagoland.  Currently considering the following options, but would love to know locals preferences/the state of conditions.  I'd prefer to keep it under $100, so I've left out a couple of the big ticket courses.

Diamond Springs

The Mines

The Ravines

Hemlock

St Ives

Let me know if I missed a hidden gem. Thanks!

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

2 hours ago, Gdane said:

Hi All, I'm headed up to north to play Pilgrim's Run and the Arcadia courses in a couple of weeks and am trying to decide where to play on our way up from Chicagoland.  Currently considering the following options, but would love to know locals preferences/the state of conditions.  I'd prefer to keep it under $100, so I've left out a couple of the big ticket courses.

Diamond Springs

The Mines

The Ravines

Hemlock

St Ives

Hemlock and Ravines.  St. Ives seemed goofy in their layout to me. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, Shriner said:

I am hoping someone here is familiar with the Muskegon area.  I have played in the North and Southwest but never in this area.  I am heading up there and want to get a round in with my dad and son.  After an "exhaustive" search, I found Lincoln Golf Course and Stone Gate Golf Club.  Lincoln looks like a typical, short country type course whereas Stone Gate looks scenic but extremely narrow off the tee.  Anyone played either?

Lincoln is indeed a short (6000 yards from the tips) old school course but it's still a fun play.  The conditions are usually very good and the greens are outstanding.  The one caveat is that if there is any significant rain the back nine can get saturated, it seems like it ends up being closed at least a couple times every summer because it's too wet.  I've had good luck getting times and it's not very expensive.  Also very walkable if that's your thing.  If your game is on you'll be happy with your score.  If your short game is off ... you won't be.

Stonegate is set back in the forest but it's not extremely narrow off the tee.  Most holes are quite generous in fact.  It has a nice variety of holes, including one of the stupidest holes in MIchigan (#10).  Greens can be a little hit or miss -- I've seen them well maintained and moderately fast and I've seen them unmowed and bumpy as hell.  I haven't played there since before Memorial Day so no help on current conditions.  It's a good course, always enjoy playing it.  Get a campfire dog for lunch.

The other option in the area is Chase Hammond, which is more like Stonegate than Lincoln.  Forested, no housing, good variety of holes.  They don't seem to have a huge budget but conditions are usually pretty good.  Also can be saturated after a good rain.  

Moss Ridge is east of town a ways, rather wide open but was well maintained when I played it last year.  Not a notably interesting design.

Other Muskegon public options are meh - if you have private connections Muskegon Country Club is stellar.

8 hours ago, Gdane said:

Diamond Springs

The Mines

The Ravines

Hemlock

St Ives

Cross St. Ives off the list.  Not that it's bad, but save it for a trip that includes Tullymore.  It's just not exceptional.  And you always need a course to pair with Tullymore.

The Ravines is a very nice course that has been in very good shape the few times I've played it, last time was a couple months back.  Would recommend and it's convenient to the freeway.  Would be my first choice in that price range.

Haven't played Hemlock in a couple years, always liked it.

Headed to Diamond Springs either this weekend or next, fun design with lots of challenging holes.  And in the middle of nowhere.

I'd add the Meadows at Grand Valley State to the list, it's not far out of the way if you're headed to Pilgrims Run.  Can be a challenge to get on.  Greens are quick.  I'd probably go with that as #2 after Ravines.

No info on The Mines have somehow never played it.

Diamond Springs and The Mines are both pretty similar, inasmuch as they're both designed by the same guy. I've generally played better at The Mines, though I did witness (not get, but saw it happen) a HIO at Diamond Springs...so there is that.  The Ravines is on my list...in the same area, there's also Clearbrook, which plays a lot more old-school.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Skip St Ives and play Tullymore.  Hawks Head is a fun links course. Or play harbor shores. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Thanks for the input everyone. Booked to play Ravines on our way up north to Arcadia.

We’ve played the Tullymore/St Ives combo before so decided to skip that this time.

Has anyone been to Hemlock lately? I was intrigued by their website, but their lack of any online booking engine combined with the no semblance of social media activity whatsoever gave me pause.

Edited by Gdane

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

6 hours ago, Gdane said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Booked to play Ravines on our way up north to Arcadia.

We’ve played the Tullymore/St Ives combo before so decided to skip that this time.

Has anyone been to Hemlock lately? I was intrigued by their website, but their lack of any online booking engine combined with the no semblance of social media activity whatsoever gave me pause.

Haven't played Hemlock in a couple of years, but don't let their low-tech or minimal clubhouse throw you off, it's a super fun course and arguably one of the best "hidden gems" in the state for the price. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalamazoo said:

Haven't played Hemlock in a couple of years, but don't let their low-tech or minimal clubhouse throw you off, it's a super fun course and arguably one of the best "hidden gems" in the state for the price. 

I love Hemlock but haven't played it since 2018 or 19

I played Hemlock last year and it is still in great shape and a super fun course.  Raymond Hearne is an interesting designer who has a style all his own.  

• Like 3

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

23 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a club fitting in SE michigan?  Want to get new irons.  I've never done it and want to finally do it.  I know the usual suspects...Carls, Club champion, Miles of golf.

Anyone had a good recent experience?

I always use Shawn Z at Miles of golf, can't go wrong with most of them at miles.

• Like 2