2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

Already thinking about next years buddies trip and think its between the two:

Option 1:

Day 1: Crooked Tree (never played)

Day 2: Hidden River (never played) and Boyne - arthur hills (played last year and loved it)

Day 3: Belvedere (never played)

Anyone stayed in the Trout Creek Condos just outside of Boyne?

or

Option 2:

Arcadia Bluffs (played a decade ago) and South (never played)

Manistee National Retreat and Revenge (both courses never played)

Staying at Manistee National cottage.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Pepetito said:

Those are all bucket list courses for me, TBH.  But, I've got a lot of family connections in the area - room and board (for me) would be nary more than a case of beer or two...And, I built the cabinets for the Arcadia South restaurant.  I totally recognize my bias 😛

Having said that, Boyne and the surrounding areas are simply stunning.  I played Boyne Monument a few years ago, and it remains the nicest course I've probably ever played.  I've only heard tales about Crooked Tree and Belvedere.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 6/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, Pepetito said:

Option 1:

Day 2: Hidden River (never played) and Boyne - arthur hills (played last year and loved it)

or

Option 2:

Thoughts?

Option 1: Skip Crooked Tree.  Hidden River and Hills are fantastic.  Belvedere also solid, but pretty far from Trout Creek. 

Option 2: Manistee National is ok. One across the street is target golf.  Bluffs and South course are always great. 

Edited by knickerbocker
  • Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

19 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

Option 1: Skip Crooked Tree.  Hidden River and Hills are fantastic.  Belvedere also solid, but pretty far from Trout Creek. 

Option 2: Manistee National is ok. One across the street is target golf.  Bluffs and South course are always great. 

Crooked Tree is no good?  I had heard good things.  We Need a fourth course up that way.  Have already done all the highland courses and Bay Harbor less the Moor.

If not Manistee National, would you do the two Crystal Mtn courses instead?  We fill our trip with four courses.  

Thanks for the reply.

4 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Crooked Tree is no good?  I had heard good things.  We Need a fourth course up that way.  Have already done all the highland courses and Bay Harbor less the Moor.

If not Manistee National, would you do the two Crystal Mtn courses instead?  We fill our trip with four courses.  

Thanks for the reply.

I should say Crooked Tree is my least favorite Boyne course including the Moor.  Sounds like you have played them all, so worth a shot and maybe you will like it.  I know others that have.  Only other option that would be a longer drive would be Black Lake which is 50 minutes from the Highlands.

Manistee National is fine, just not great.  It is better than Crystal Mountain IMO.  If you stayed there and only played one of those courses, adding in Hemlock in Ludington would be a solid choice.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

On 6/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, Pepetito said:

Option 1:

or

Option 2:

Thoughts?

Where are you or most of your group driving?  Could help us make some suggestions as a lot of us have done buddies trips up that way.  I personally enjoy Crooked Tree but put about middle of the road with the Boyne courses?  Some fun holes for a buddies trip but from a golf stand point, I prefer the Ross.  Like the Heather better than both of them and I'd say the Hills is my favorite behind Bay Harbor. 

I haven't stayed at Trout Creek, we always stay through Boyne and they have a pretty decent stay and play package.  

• Like 1

We’ve stayed at Trout Creek and had good experiences and are staying there again in two weeks.  The condos are individually owned so can vary but we rent 2-3 per year and have had no complaints.  We’ve stayed at Boyne also and enjoy it there too.  

The reason we moved to Trout Creek was to get out from Boyne’s umbrella with the reservations.  Boyne will only reserve Boyne courses.  Trout Creek has good rates at Boyne and other courses on your list.  Sure you could make your own tee times but I’d rather let them do it and they can get preferred times and rates.  Plus TC is walking distance from Teddy Griffins.

our itinerary is:

Day 1 - Bay Harbor Quarry/Links

Day 2 - Hidden River/Indian River

Day 3 - Ross/Hills

Day 4 - Belvedere

TC has booking privileges at Black Lake and we’ve made that drive but it was on an 18 hole arrival day

• Like 1

16 hours ago, timbo08 said:

Where are you or most of your group driving?  Could help us make some suggestions as a lot of us have done buddies trips up that way.  I personally enjoy Crooked Tree but put about middle of the road with the Boyne courses?  Some fun holes for a buddies trip but from a golf stand point, I prefer the Ross.  Like the Heather better than both of them and I'd say the Hills is my favorite behind Bay Harbor. 

I haven't stayed at Trout Creek, we always stay through Boyne and they have a pretty decent stay and play package.  

Appreciate all the responses.

16 of us are all coming from metro detroit.

Last year we did Day 1:Heather, Day 2: Hills and Ross and Day 3:Bay Harbor links quarry.  Stayed at Highlands.

We do 18 the day we come up, 36 the next day, and then 18 to close it out.

The Hills and Hidden River on Day 2 seems kinda locked in from what i've heard about Hidden river and our group LOVED hills last year. Its also only a mile from Trout creek to end the day.

Want to play Belvedere either on Day 1 or Day 3.

So just need one more course.  I had been looking at Crooked tree to fill that spot.  We could also do the Moor though i had heard that was just ok.  Really we could go within 45 mins or so as this would just be 18 on this day.

Trout Creek seems to get really good prices at the Boyne courses, Belvedere, etc and is close to hidden river so had planned on staying there.

23 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

I should say Crooked Tree is my least favorite Boyne course including the Moor.  Sounds like you have played them all, so worth a shot and maybe you will like it.  I know others that have.  Only other option that would be a longer drive would be Black Lake which is 50 minutes from the Highlands.

Manistee National is fine, just not great.  It is better than Crystal Mountain IMO.  If you stayed there and only played one of those courses, adding in Hemlock in Ludington would be a solid choice.

Staying at Manistee you mean?

Hemlock's rates are quite low.  Is that preferrable to either of the Manistee courses or either of the Crystal courses?

Crystal and Manistee were on the list for lodging purposes , and they both have two courses.  Makes the logistics easier.  Playing both Arcadias are set in stone but need two more in some capacity, ideally with lodging.

12 hours ago, Net_5 said:

We’ve stayed at Trout Creek and had good experiences and are staying there again in two weeks.  The condos are individually owned so can vary but we rent 2-3 per year and have had no complaints.  We’ve stayed at Boyne also and enjoy it there too.  

The reason we moved to Trout Creek was to get out from Boyne’s umbrella with the reservations.  Boyne will only reserve Boyne courses.  Trout Creek has good rates at Boyne and other courses on your list.  Sure you could make your own tee times but I’d rather let them do it and they can get preferred times and rates.  Plus TC is walking distance from Teddy Griffins.

our itinerary is:

Day 1 - Bay Harbor Quarry/Links

Day 2 - Hidden River/Indian River

Day 3 - Ross/Hills

Day 4 - Belvedere

TC has booking privileges at Black Lake and we’ve made that drive but it was on an 18 hole arrival day

Talk to me about Indian River and Black Lake.  Are those preferable to the Moor or Crooked Tree?

What is Teddy Griffins?

2 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

I'd much rather play Black Lake than Moor or Crooked Tree. It is in the middle of nowhere though. 

Same, Black Lake at least used to have a decent restaurant on property though. 

Indian River is nothing special, I'd skip that totally.  I'd recommend Chestnut Valley over Indian River personally, unless Indian River has really drastically changed in 15 years.  

Crooked Tree isn't bad, you get some really cool views of Bay Harbor and Lake Michigan, so I don't think you'll have a bad time there.  The Moor isn't bad either, just less views.  They both just seem to have some "quirky" holes but aren't bad golf courses and are in good shape.  My group likes Crooked Tree and plays it every year, we stay at Boyne. 

I'd recommend overall doing the Boyne area, sounds like you are getting a better deal price wise and there's more options. 

What about drive up round and play at Arcadia Bluffs? Then continue up the coast to Trout Creek.  It'll be a longer day with some windshield time (give or take 2 extra hours).  But it's your arrival day, so worst case, get there, play your round, then you have 2 more hours in the car, check in and you're good to go.  Hills and Hidden River Saturday, Belvedere on Sunday. 

I haven't played it but Otsego Tribute is another option.  It was a nice course in Gaylord before ownership changed hands so I don't know how it is now, but it was good before it started going downhill. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, timbo08 said:

Same, Black Lake at least used to have a decent restaurant on property though. 

Indian River is nothing special, I'd skip that totally.  I'd recommend Chestnut Valley over Indian River personally, unless Indian River has really drastically changed in 15 years.  

Crooked Tree isn't bad, you get some really cool views of Bay Harbor and Lake Michigan, so I don't think you'll have a bad time there.  The Moor isn't bad either, just less views.  They both just seem to have some "quirky" holes but aren't bad golf courses and are in good shape.  My group likes Crooked Tree and plays it every year, we stay at Boyne. 

I'd recommend overall doing the Boyne area, sounds like you are getting a better deal price wise and there's more options. 

What about drive up round and play at Arcadia Bluffs? Then continue up the coast to Trout Creek.  It'll be a longer day with some windshield time (give or take 2 extra hours).  But it's your arrival day, so worst case, get there, play your round, then you have 2 more hours in the car, check in and you're good to go.  Hills and Hidden River Saturday, Belvedere on Sunday. 

I haven't played it but Otsego Tribute is another option.  It was a nice course in Gaylord before ownership changed hands so I don't know how it is now, but it was good before it started going downhill. 

I played Tribute last August and it was in good shape. It was our drive up course on our way to Shanty Creek. 

• Like 2

Black Lake is really good.  Top 20 Public in Michigan. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

My wife and I are thinking of joining Oak Pointe CC in Brighton.  I have played the courses at charity events and we took a tour of the clubhouse and locker rooms, etc. recently.  It was very nice and just wondering if anyone has any experience as a member.  I'm 63 and may retire next year and tired of trying to get on nice public courses due to the surge of golf leagues.  I assume one of the advantages of a private course is the availability of T times, but maybe that really true...just don't know....

Thanks. 

Indian River is the weak link in our itinerary.  None of us have played it but it seems to get good reviews from the casual golfer.  It’s supposed to have a good restaurant.  Played Cedar Valley last year.

Our group wanted to keep the golf and lodging under $1,000 which is hard to do with Bay Harbor in the fold. This itinerary came in at $955.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reelpositive said:

My wife and I are thinking of joining Oak Pointe CC in Brighton.  I have played the courses at charity events and we took a tour of the clubhouse and locker rooms, etc. recently.  It was very nice and just wondering if anyone has any experience as a member.  I'm 63 and may retire next year and tired of trying to get on nice public courses due to the surge of golf leagues.  I assume one of the advantages of a private course is the availability of T times, but maybe that really true...just don't know....

Thanks. 

Better ask all the requisite questions.

Some private courses are worse than public because they want the money to fund the club and don't cap or have high cap on members.

2 hours ago, Net_5 said:

Indian River is the weak link in our itinerary.  None of us have played it but it seems to get good reviews from the casual golfer.  It’s supposed to have a good restaurant.  Played Cedar Valley last year.

Our group wanted to keep the golf and lodging under $1,000 which is hard to do with Bay Harbor in the fold. This itinerary came in at $955.

Did you try getting a quote from Boyne and staying there directly?  We went before Memorial Day Weekend which is before the upcharges kick in so I am sure that has something to do with it.  But we stayed in a 10 person Townhouse at the Highlands, did Crooked Tree Thursday, Bay Harbor Twice on Friday, Hills on Saturday and Heather on Sunday for $676 total. 

Boyne Highland prices this year for standard summer rates are 2x the rates they were last year.  

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

1 hour ago, timbo08 said:

Did you try getting a quote from Boyne and staying there directly?  We went before Memorial Day Weekend which is before the upcharges kick in so I am sure that has something to do with it.  But we stayed in a 10 person Townhouse at the Highlands, did Crooked Tree Thursday, Bay Harbor Twice on Friday, Hills on Saturday and Heather on Sunday for $676 total. 

My quote from Boyne Highlands for the same package i did in 2021 was something like 30% higher.  It was absurd.

18 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

My quote from Boyne Highlands for the same package i did in 2021 was something like 30% higher.  It was absurd.

Yea ours went up this year but not quite 30%, guessing they hit the summer rates a bit harder than the shoulder season stuff.  Guessing the increased prices are to pay for the rebrands and expansions.  

That being said though, I have noticed prices in general are up this year at a lot of courses, even non-resort places seemed to have raised rack rates 10-40%.

8 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Better ask all the requisite questions.

Some private courses are worse than public because they want the money to fund the club and don't cap or have high cap on members.

Yes, thank you for that advice.  I actually posted on our local Michigan FB page and a member at a sister course said T times are no problem.  Never have been a member of a private club, so yeah a little worried that I have not asked all the relevant questions.  Thanks again...

Believe the same trip with six rounds at Boyne was $1375 for the main lodge including the upcharge for Bay Harbor, Hills and Heather and including Crooked Tree, The Ross and Moors. It was a nonstarter because our group loves Hidden River and we wanted to play Belvedere.  Maybe should have included the Heather instead of Indian River but was trying to satisfy everyone (group of 12).

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, timbo08 said:

Yea ours went up this year but not quite 30%, guessing they hit the summer rates a bit harder than the shoulder season stuff.  Guessing the increased prices are to pay for the rebrands and expansions.  

That being said though, I have noticed prices in general are up this year at a lot of courses, even non-resort places seemed to have raised rack rates 10-40%.

Yeah, I got a quote from Treetops and rates were almost $800 in September for a package that would have been $500 a couple years ago. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Playing 36 at Arcadia Sunday and they have done away with their Fathers Day special.  Used to be able to play there all day for quite a bit less.  

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

On 6/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, timbo08 said:

I wonder if Boyne miscalculated.  I just got an email saying "US Open savings through August."  Only an extra 10%, but still...

15 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I wonder if Boyne miscalculated.  I just got an email saying "US Open savings through August."  Only an extra 10%, but still...

I said this in a similar thread concerning private clubs and capital spending.

People look at past trends and think that is a consistent prediction of the future. The golf business has looked at the last two year as proof that demand will continue to be extremely high and leveraging pricing to drive investment will be easy. 

I strongly believe that golf vacations and private club memberships are closely tied to wealth in the United States.  Wealth in the US is tied to the US stock market.  As the markets decline, there is a significant wealth impact which reduces consumer confidence and spending on luxury items like private clubs and golf vacations.  

Many clubs or courses will find themselves overextended and might have to shut their doors or lower prices to drive volume. Those with financial discipline and long-term planning will be fine. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6