Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

Released in late 2014

17 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

I had a Skytrak for the 30 day trial from Playbetter. Setup and alignment were non-issues. It comes with a small bubble level that sticks to the top. I’d have to set it up every time I used it and it took all of a couple of minutes. I just made sure it was close to level using the adjustable feet and never had an issue. I could easily move it around, which I did often when switching from driver to short irons or wedges. I hit into a net outdoors with a hitting mat on a concrete patio, so it was on a relatively level surface to begin with, other than a slight slope for drainage. I’m in Texas and had the unit for a month during the summer, hitting in full sunlight. Never once had an issue due to sunlight. I’ve read where Skytrak doesn’t work in the sunlight, but that wasn’t my experience at all. My swing/ball speed is average at best, so I can’t comment on any issue with high ball speeds.

Skytrak had an distinct advantage over radar units for me because I could position it as close to the net as I could get. Ball flight distance isn’t a concern and I could even hit my 60° with a full swing. Couldn’t do that with any radar based device without sending the ball into my neighbor’s yard. I also did a trial with the R10 and I wasn’t comfortable with a full swing with anything less than an 8i. Also didn’t have to mess with metal dots or special balls. 

Garmin has the advantage when it comes to simulation, at least from a price perspective. You get the limited E6 sim and the 40k+ Garmin courses for free (I think). If not free, it’s very inexpensive. I don’t know why Skytrak doesn’t offer at least the same limited E6 sim as Garmin. I think Mevo also provides it.

I didn’t keep either unit because I was facing shoulder surgery and didn’t know how long I’d be sidelined. Now that I’m swinging again, I’m back in the market, mostly because I prefer hitting into my net rather than going to the range. I’d like to confirm the ball flight and distance that I feel like I’m hitting. If SkyTrak’s pricing was anywhere close to Garmin’s, I’d buy Skytrak. I don’t care if the tech is old as long as it works. But $2200 (with the needed metal case) is steep for me. I’ll look at the used market again. When I last looked, used devices were in the $1500 range and that wasn’t enough of a discount to go the used route.

I always wanted a Skytrak but the technology is old it was released in late 2014. Can't justify buying tech that outdated.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, JordanAllaman said:

Interesting; I've got an R10 setup in my garage and didn't know if the RCT balls were worth it.  I usually fudge the altitude to get the flight what I expect to see on the course; but if they've made an update, I might need to give them a try.

By all accounts the RCT balls make a huge difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-- Lefty --

Rogue ST Max: 10.5°

G425 Max 5W: 16.5°

Srixon ZX Util: 20°

Mizuno MP223: 4-P  

Mizuno T20: 51°, 55°

CG RTX4: 58°

Ping Redwood Anser Black Satin

--

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read the whole thread, like most say.

I have a simple question, that seems obvious but I haven't read a lot about it.   If usinig this with an Ipad (9th Gen) I assume it's fully compatable for showing all the ball/swing metrics as it would be on Iphone,  don't know if there is anything wonky about the mobile display on I pad.     Also even though I won't use the simulator a lot, the I pad is fine for that or air playing it to another screen I assume. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

15 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Haven't read the whole thread, like most say.

I have a simple question, that seems obvious but I haven't read a lot about it.   If usinig this with an Ipad (9th Gen) I assume it's fully compatable for showing all the ball/swing metrics as it would be on Iphone,  don't know if there is anything wonky about the mobile display on I pad.     Also even though I won't use the simulator a lot, the I pad is fine for that or air playing it to another screen I assume. 

Correct, everything works great with an iPad and 9th gen should be more than enough to run whatever sim you want.  My iPad display looks exactly like my Android phone except bigger.  Only warning is that e6 crushes the iPad battery, you'll need a high power wall charger to keep it topped off while using e6.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjschafe said:

Correct, everything works great with an iPad and 9th gen should be more than enough to run whatever sim you want.  My iPad display looks exactly like my Android phone except bigger.  Only warning is that e6 crushes the iPad battery, you'll need a high power wall charger to keep it topped off while using e6.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on the e6 and battery life!

Vokey

Anyone else get some crazy numbers using R10+ RCT balls indoors?  

My R10 usually gives me around 2900 rpm backspin with my driver, which seems a little high when compared to when I used track man. I finally got some RCT hoping to see some more accurate spin numbers and every drive I hit was 5000+ rpm!  Many of these strikes were slightly high/center of the club face, so they were not spinny, poor lowface strikes. 

Anyone ever experience this before?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bearcatnut said:

My R10 usually gives me around 2900 rpm backspin with my driver, which seems a little high when compared to when I used track man. I finally got some RCT hoping to see some more accurate spin numbers and every drive I hit was 5000+ rpm!  Many of these strikes were slightly high/center of the club face, so they were not spinny, poor lowface strikes. 

This!!  

Today was my maiden voyage with the R10. I’ve been using the RCT balls on my standard MEVO.   And all numbers  seem in line.   Today using tbe R10 in the exact  same location.  Unit same dust ace as the Mevo aboit 7 feet.  My spin with driver was crazy high like 4400 to 5300 high and showing a +5 AOA so I wasn’t hitting down on it. 

My 7 iron spin seemed pretty spot on around 5500 to 5800.  

I thought it was me getting something wrong in the setup 

Vokey

13 hours ago, bearcatnut said:

8 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

This!!  

Today was my maiden voyage with the R10. I’ve been using the RCT balls on my standard MEVO.   And all numbers  seem in line.   Today using tbe R10 in the exact  same location.  Unit same dust ace as the Mevo aboit 7 feet.  My spin with driver was crazy high like 4400 to 5300 high and showing a +5 AOA so I wasn’t hitting down on it. 

My 7 iron spin seemed pretty spot on around 5500 to 5800.  

I thought it was me getting something wrong in the setup 

Were these measured (regular) or calculated/estimated (italicized) numbers?

I have seen some posts suggesting an occasional error where spin is doubled. FWIW I have always taken the driver numbers with a big heaping of salt because even outdoors they tend to be inaccurate 30+% of the time - my assumption is that the unit has a hard time collecting enough data to run its calculations because of how high ball speed can be.

Edited by LeftDot
  • Like 1

-- Lefty --

Rogue ST Max: 10.5°

G425 Max 5W: 16.5°

Srixon ZX Util: 20°

Mizuno MP223: 4-P  

Mizuno T20: 51°, 55°

CG RTX4: 58°

Ping Redwood Anser Black Satin

--

13 hours ago, LeftDot said:

Were these measured (regular) or calculated/estimated (italicized) numbers?

I have seen some posts suggesting an occasional error where spin is doubled. FWIW I have always taken the driver numbers with a big heaping of salt because even outdoors they tend to be inaccurate 30+% of the time - my assumption is that the unit has a hard time collecting enough data to run its calculations because of how high ball speed can be.

Great question and I wish I could remember.  I’ll see if they stores on the app.   

But oddly enough an update today.  One thing I failed to mention in my previous post—probably a pretty major omission. Ha.  Those numbers were with the Gsrmin App.   

Today I went back with my IPad with e6 loaded and while still a bit across the board fbey we’re in the range of where they are when I’m not swinging well—3100-3500.  As a result my distances were much closer to whst ny normal distances are.  Maybe 5-10 yards short on average.  But again I wasn’t really warmed up too well snd it was a cold out. 

Vokey

Anyone else having issues with the Garmin app after the update to 2.11 when projecting onto a screen (using screencast)? The range no longer displays any data on the shot on the projected screen even though the iPad screen has all the data. It does not appear to be a mirror of the screen in driving range mode.  It only shows the range background. 

7 hours ago, GolfANA said:

Anyone else having issues with the Garmin app after the update to 2.11 when projecting onto a screen (using screencast)? The range no longer displays any data on the shot on the projected screen even though the iPad screen has all the data. It does not appear to be a mirror of the screen in driving range mode.  It only shows the range background. 

Yes, me too

I've tried to use a lightning to HDMI adapter but still no joy. It's a bit of a pain 

So spent a lot off time on the R10 and e6 tbe last two days. With a couple of frends.   We cover all 3 speed categories.  sub90-95-100 and 114+. Overall our numbers all seem pretty spot on.  Using the RCT balls. Into a net in a semi indoor setting.   My fades definitely show up, the 95 mph guy hits a draw and it looks just like his on course shots and the fast guy is a lefty that hits a fade and it shows.  

We’ve been using the range only so far. We have a 50” 4k TV we will be booking it up to on Monday. So we will start playing some courses then. 

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

Vokey

11 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

So soent a lot off time on the R10 and e6 tbe last two days. With a couple of fiends.   We cover all 3 speed categories.  sub90-95-100 and 114+. Overall oit numbers all seem pretty spot on.  Using the RCT balls. Into a net in a semi indoor setting.   My dads definitely shows, the 95 mph guy hits a draw and it looks just like his on course shots and the fast guy is a lefty that hits a fade and it shows.  

We’ve been using the range onky so far. We have a 50” 4k TV we will be booking it up to on Monday. So we will start playing some courses then. 

Would love to see a pic of the setup if you get a chance. Have a net already in the garage and just picked up the R10 but haven't set it up yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheChippinChirper said:

Would love to see a pic of the setup if you get a chance. Have a net already in the garage and just picked up the R10 but haven't set it up yet.

Will do, I planon setting it up Monday.   Also, sorry for all the typos in that, it was on my phone late last night, either big thrumb misses or autocorrects. 

Vokey

On 1/13/2023 at 7:04 PM, jjschafe said:

Glad they took care of you and exchanged it.  I had my defective unit exchanged during the height of them being out of stock, customer service was top notch.

The first one I got for like 450 from golfio was a dud. Garmin replaced it and the one I’ve got now works great. Garmin’s customer service is awesome to deal with.  

• Like 2

How have others found the R10 works with different balls? I'm not talking the specialized RCT balls I'm just talking regulation everyday golf balls? I'm also wondering how much balls deteriorate with use. The reason I ask is that I was using a cheap Maxfli Noodle hitting into a net. I was pretty happy with it but the last couple of sessions I was getting frustrated with the distances as it was consistently at least one club short throughout my iron set. Anyway I grabbed a newish but similarly cheap Callaway ball and was getting much better distances. I hit 10 shots each with 9 iron, 7 iron and driver and the Callaway ball was approximately 10m longer on average. Happily I was hitting the Callaway the distances I would expect to hit my clubs on the course. I guess I need to repeat the exercise using a new Maxfli Noodle vs the old one. I'm wondering whether it was the different ball providing the better distances or just the fact it was a new ball and the old one was just best up and hence the loss of performance and ball speed. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 2/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, CHM 12 said:

Do any of y’all have alignment stands y’all can recommend?

I just got this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BD6M3BPB/

Fairly inexpensive, well built.  The Ryobi ELL1500 Laser Cube is not included but you can get it from Home Depot for about $20.  There's a cutout in the stand for this exact laser unit and holds it really snugly - it won't fall out.

IMG_9308.jpeg

Edited by Interpol
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

59 minutes ago, Interpol said:

I just got this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BD6M3BPB/

Fairly inexpensive, well built.  The Ryobi ELL1500 Laser Cube is not included but you can get it from Home Depot for about $20.  There's a cutout in the stand for this exact laser unit and holds it really snugly - it won't fall out.

IMG_9308.jpeg

Awesome. Thanks.

This the stand I use.

IMG_7061.jpg.bfcf08c4c6d7fbc6df1a3126ba63f728.jpg

It has a level in the center and you can use the alignment stick as well.

Lots of styles on this site,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=garmin r10 stand&ref=auto-1&as_prefix=garmin

Edited by isitour

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:40 AM, TheChippinChirper said:

Sorry for the delay.  But here you go

Always has to be one LH to make it look like rhd monitor is on the wrong side.   

EC9028F0-79AE-4725-9F27-299F0B3CDB9E.jpeg

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

Vokey

On 2/17/2023 at 5:46 PM, kiwihacker said:

How have others found the R10 works with different balls? I'm not talking the specialized RCT balls I'm just talking regulation everyday golf balls? I'm also wondering how much balls deteriorate with use. The reason I ask is that I was using a cheap Maxfli Noodle hitting into a net. I was pretty happy with it but the last couple of sessions I was getting frustrated with the distances as it was consistently at least one club short throughout my iron set. Anyway I grabbed a newish but similarly cheap Callaway ball and was getting much better distances. I hit 10 shots each with 9 iron, 7 iron and driver and the Callaway ball was approximately 10m longer on average. Happily I was hitting the Callaway the distances I would expect to hit my clubs on the course. I guess I need to repeat the exercise using a new Maxfli Noodle vs the old one. I'm wondering whether it was the different ball providing the better distances or just the fact it was a new ball and the old one was just best up and hence the loss of performance and ball speed. 

I mainly use the RCT balls.  But have mixed in some regular pro vs and TP5 and don’t find a significant difference in distance. C

• Like 1

Vokey

16 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I mainly use the RCT balls.  But have mixed in some regular pro vs and TP5 and don’t find a significant difference in distance. C

I mentioned in another post how I hit a hollow practice ball that got mixed in with my regular balls. It registered  #'s so close you couldn't even pick it out of the line up ! 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Bob Ferguson said:

I mentioned in another post how I hit a hollow practice ball that got mixed in with my regular balls. It registered  #'s so close you couldn't even pick it out of the line up ! 

Lol. That’s either scary or one hell of a practice ball 

Vokey

I bought a dozen ProV1x RCT balls today and had my first range session with them today.  In the past I have been consistently shorter distance numbers to the point where it wasn't that fun to play a virtual round because everything seemed to be 1 to 2 clubs short.  I experimented with adjusting the elevation to 4000ft which seemed to help get numbers closer to what I see on course.   This afternoon I adjusted the elevation back down to 500ft which is close to what my actual elevation is in Dallas.  The RCT balls were much more accurate on carry and total distance.   I was so enthused that this will make we want to use the Garmin R10 a lot more going forward.   

• Like 2