2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

23 minutes ago, golfun said:

At Range Swing Speeds with driver: How accurate do you think it is? 

I would say the margin of error is probably +/- 3% vs like a Trackman or GC Quad? 

Based on MGS and YouTube reviews, I would say 3% or less error?

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

19 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

I would say the margin of error is probably +/- 3% vs like a Trackman or GC Quad? 

Based on MGS and YouTube reviews, I would say 3% or less error?

So with a 100mph swing speed probably no more than 3mph? What if the ball isn't hit perfectly like you hit it high and the face and balloons more. Will it still read it within tolerance? Just working on driver for first time and I know they aren't dead center club face shots but wanted to study club speed. Thanks for input!

12 minutes ago, golfun said:

So with a 100mph swing speed probably no more than 3mph? What if the ball isn't hit perfectly like you hit it high and the face and balloons more. Will it still read it within tolerance? Just working on driver for first time and I know they aren't dead center club face shots but wanted to study club speed. Thanks for input!

I don't have personal expertise to answer this, I am going off some of the neutral reviews out there. Can't find the exact text, but it's within 3-4% accuracy and that was done without leveling standing, RCT balls, or Awesome golf... which all make it work better.

Based on this it does well in clubhead speed?

image.png.c8227147255571d284fb34ffc7e017df.png

image.png.2d08f8ed6b6baa94ec35f7068c32dd78.pngimage.png.2d08f8ed6b6baa94ec35f7068c32dd78.png

image.png.cb3cd263d19d7fa84ced6d0bec1cb82a.png

Edited by Walkerdb7

3 hours ago, golfun said:

It measures smash factor so that is affected by quality of strike. I certainly notice I sometimes get more distance on slower swing speeds due to quality of strike and smash factor. Then I crank up the clubhead speed but get a lower ball speed, smash factor and distance due to a lower quality of strike. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Have not purchased Awesome Golf (Yet?), just started messing with E6

Anyone think their range function is more accurate that Garmin’s native one?

2 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Have not purchased Awesome Golf (Yet?), just started messing with E6

Anyone think their range function is more accurate that Garmin’s native one?

I use the e6 range as it originally felt more accurate than Garmin's. However I've heard after all the updates it's pretty much the same.

I'm use to the layout of their driving range info and prefer it to Garmin. It does feel like it chews battery faster - not sure if others can comment.

6 hours ago, tezzlacoil said:

I use the e6 range as it originally felt more accurate than Garmin's. However I've heard after all the updates it's pretty much the same.

I'm use to the layout of their driving range info and prefer it to Garmin. It does feel like it chews battery faster - not sure if others can comment.

E6 ripped through an iPad battery last night, haven’t had an issue with Garmin app yet 

the visuals make E6 worth it alone. Hate that Garmin can’t go full screen 

9E043939-8032-413C-A077-DEE23C544AAD.jpeg

856CFAA3-43F2-41DD-AE3C-93DD29FA9E32.jpeg

Edited by Walkerdb7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my R10 and have tried it indoors and on the range. Its a beauty on the range but running into the tired old problem of low distances.  Ive creeped the message boards for a while now and checked youtube videos and feel I have tried all the normal troubleshooting (level stand, proper distances & height, low light, cover shiny floor, remove metal objects in the hitting field of view) and still no luck.  The biggest issue with the data I am seeing is my swing speed is regularly 10 mph slower indoors.  Even when I overly exaggerate my swing speed (to account for potential indoor swing syndrome) it tops out at like 75mph with an 8i when on range with the R10 I am hitting 85mph consistently.  Anyone have similar swing speed issues indoors vs outdoors?

17 minutes ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

Just got my R10 and have tried it indoors and on the range. Its a beauty on the range but running into the tired old problem of low distances.  Ive creeped the message boards for a while now and checked youtube videos and feel I have tried all the normal troubleshooting (level stand, proper distances & height, low light, cover shiny floor, remove metal objects in the hitting field of view) and still no luck.  The biggest issue with the data I am seeing is my swing speed is regularly 10 mph slower indoors.  Even when I overly exaggerate my swing speed (to account for potential indoor swing syndrome) it tops out at like 75mph with an 8i when on range with the R10 I am hitting 85mph consistently.  Anyone have similar swing speed issues indoors vs outdoors?

have you tried outdoor into a net maybe its a limited flight issue

3 minutes ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

Not sure I follow? If I had the same distances from ball to net (currently 7-8ft, device to ball (7-8ft), would hitting outdoors make a difference?

if you were outdoors you would be able to move yourself a foot or 2 back to see if that is the issue. obviously it wouldnt solve your indoor problem cause if you had more space you would already be using it.

32 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

if you were outdoors you would be able to move yourself a foot or 2 back to see if that is the issue. obviously it wouldnt solve your indoor problem cause if you had more space you would already be using it.

I see yeah thanks for the insight. Ill give it a try but I feel I have sufficient space in the garage.  Moved the unit back to 8 ft from the ball while still maintain 7+ feet to net.

1 hour ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

I see yeah thanks for the insight. Ill give it a try but I feel I have sufficient space in the garage.  Moved the unit back to 8 ft from the ball while still maintain 7+ feet to net.

from what i've seen in other cheaper units want close to 10 feet of ball flight more if using driver. so moving the unit to 6 feet and your hitting area back to 10 feet.

Took mine outside today. The wind was in my face today and it was showing +10 yards vs my indoor carries… couldn’t really understand that. 

Also maybe misleading because of the wind, but seemed like it good the shot direction correct, but not the shape? Like missing a push vs a cut… i would say it was correct 7 out of 10 times? 

With the “negativity” around it’s shot shape reading indoors, was curious to see how it picked up a shot where I could see the results outdoors. 

Edited by Walkerdb7

8 hours ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

Not that anyone particularly cares but I’ve come to the conclusion the r10 is a piece of junk and not worth the frustration. Super frustrating experience. Returning. 

on a related note I’m selling 11 unused RCT balls if anyone is interested 

No radar launch monitor, including Trackman, will work with 7 or 8 feet of ball flight, no chance. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jjschafe said:

+a billion.  The difference in accuracy of the R10 going from 8ft to 10ft of ball flight is huge, in my experience.

That’s BS on this brands then. They shouldn’t market the products as working in short distances?

this is from Garmin. If 10’ is required, they save everyone a lot of frustration… 

1CC47864-76C7-454B-A800-5E602012995A.png

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 9:55 PM, PuttingOnAirs said:

1 hour ago, Walkerdb7 said:

That’s BS on this brands then. They shouldn’t market the products as working in short distances?

this is from Garmin. If 10’ is required, they save everyone a lot of frustration… 

1CC47864-76C7-454B-A800-5E602012995A.png

7+ feet is not 8 feet. And the app asks you to input exactly the measurement from tee to monitor, again 6 feet minimum. Not 5.5 etc.

All launch monitors require some (small) effort to setup. 

(^^^^ that's not the drawing in the current Garmin manual on their website, which says 6' not 6'5.)

5 minutes ago, hammersia said:

7+ feet is not 8 feet. And the app asks you to input exactly the measurement from tee to monitor, again 6 feet minimum. Not 5.5 etc.

(^^^^ that's not the drawing in the current Garmin manual on their website, which says 6' not 6'5.)

My point is that if the thing is only 80% accurate at 8' and 99.9% accurate at 10', Garmin should spell that out?

I have duct tape markings on my garage floor. I take my setup down between uses. I am following the guidelines and trying to be as repeatable as possible with my setup. I do follow the correct set up and have my unit is to set 7'.

I am 80% Garmin. I think I want something better in the future, but I am not trying to poo poo it.

However if the info above about flight distance is correct and seeing the ball fly is more important than the distances behind me, I might shift things around?

Instead of doing Garmin 7' behind me and net 8' in front of me, I might do Garmin 6' behind me and net 9' in front of me.

Is the distance the ball flies that most important attribute?

44 minutes ago, Walkerdb7 said:

My point is that if the thing is only 80% accurate at 8' and 99.9% accurate at 10', Garmin should spell that out?

I have duct tape markings on my garage floor. I take my setup down between uses. I am following the guidelines and trying to be as repeatable as possible with my setup. I do follow the correct set up and have my unit is to set 7'.

I am 80% Garmin. I think I want something better in the future, but I am not trying to poo poo it.

However if the info above about flight distance is correct and seeing the ball fly is more important than the distances behind me, I might shift things around?

Instead of doing Garmin 7' behind me and net 8' in front of me, I might do Garmin 6' behind me and net 9' in front of me.

Is the distance the ball flies that most important attribute?

56 minutes ago, hammersia said:

I’ve done 6 ft unit to ball with 10 ft ball to net with exact same results 

8 hours ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

I’ve done 6 ft unit to ball with 10 ft ball to net with exact same results 

Definitely the launch monitor then. I had a similar problem with tape measures not yielding the robust 11' I know I am - went through hundreds of them until I found one that worked.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Haha 2

On 4/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, PuttingOnAirs said:

Late to this discussion and I see that you are thoroughly frustrated with your unit which is a shame. Re the clubhead speed I was getting low clubhead speeds even swinging outdoors into a net. But then when I went to the range I was consistently getting 5-10 mph higher clubhead speed which I have to put down to swinging completely freely vs swinging slightly within myself into a net. Don't know why. Just more constrained into a net even when outdoors I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

7 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Late to this discussion and I see that you are thoroughly frustrated with your unit which is a shame. Re the clubhead speed I was getting low clubhead speeds even swinging outdoors into a net. But then when I went to the range I was consistently getting 5-10 mph higher clubhead speed which I have to put down to swinging completely freely vs swinging slightly within myself into a net. Don't know why. Just more constrained into a net even when outdoors I guess? 🤷‍♂️

This is why I don’t hit driver? I have enough space, but it just feels claustrophobic and like I’m not swinging freely 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:20 PM, Bubbtubbs said:

Definitely the launch monitor then. I had a similar problem with tape measures not yielding the robust 11' I know I am - went through hundreds of them until I found one that worked.

Whoops sorry didn’t realize this was Twitter and not a message board discussing the accuracy of a piece of golf technology. I’ll see myself out Elon 

I hadn’t used my R10 in a month or so ss I was testing out another unit. 

Today took it out on the couese to do some driver testing.  I tell you I had forgotten how nice it it’s to just set it down and start hitting alignment and connection to my phone couldn’t be easier.  The shot tracer is spot on and the carry and total numbers all seemed right in line.   Spin nil ads and club data all seem to be pretty accurate based on what I was seeing.  

Such a great unit. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

14 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I hadn’t used my R10 in a month or so ss I was testing out another unit. 

Today took it out on the couese to do some driver testing.  I tell you I had forgotten how nice it it’s to just set it down and start hitting alignment and connection to my phone couldn’t be easier.  The shot tracer is spot on and the carry and total numbers all seemed right in line.   Spin nil ads and club data all seem to be pretty accurate based on what I was seeing.  

Such a great unit. 

agreed! Nice for hitting outdoors on course or on range

• Like 1

Was assisting at a demo day today and put my R10 next to a Trackman, GC Quad and MEVO+ at different OEMs 

The ball speeds matched 100% every shot to all 3.  That is pretty impressive.  

The launch was spot on as well.  Spin was a mixed bag. At times it was within 50 RPM of Trackman.   On a few it was a widely different reading maybe 1000 or so different.   

Carry was pretty close. Maybe 4-5 yards on most.   Where it seemed to differ mostly was the very high speed players where ball speeds would be the same way 168 to 170.  But carry would be shorter by 15 to 20 yards compared to Trackman.  This tracks from otjet feedback I’ve heard. 

Good thing for my personal use my ball speeds are lucky to get to 130 😬

But overall it did really well compared to the big boys for whst we asked of it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35"